Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Beast is going to give one lucky person one million dollvrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's so much of Mookie's own view of women on display in that latest batch of the vintage Deegan. Just incredible poo poo.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

1: man I forgot when these comics actually had stuff happen.
2: Dex's "Punished Dex" bandage bondage gear looks pretty rad I'm not gonna lie.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"I just need to put my hand in yours" and other phrases that human beings say.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tesseraction posted:

There's so much of Mookie's own view of women on display in that latest batch of the vintage Deegan. Just incredible poo poo.

It's so weird because he obviously doesn't realise how hosed up his views on women are but he'll do the whole werewolf/cheating storyline or this that just puts it on full display.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's still amazing that Greg doesn't even for a second consider that he could possibly learn how to be a proper doctor to heal people and instead breaks out the lovely guitars. gently caress it let Pam do double duty as both mayor and nurse.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's still amazing that Greg doesn't even for a second consider that he could possibly learn how to be a proper doctor to heal people and instead breaks out the lovely guitars. gently caress it let Pam do double duty as both mayor and nurse.

Well, yeah, learning is a thing bad people do.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Well, yeah, learning is a thing bad people do.

No, no. Learning is good. Training is bad.

Learning is when you love book.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At most you're allowed to read a book once and instantly assimilate and master everything it says. Practice is for villains

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If it's not a natural in-born talent that you're perfect at you should give up instantly, because putting in any effort at all makes you evil and all evil people eventually get exploded.

So Sayeth the Book of Deegan.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
elevator pitch: a world where spell tomes have a sort of arcane interface/reader representative, like Cortana or The Moment but magic, as setup for a story about cutting to the chase and just straight up loving a book

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Just lol that Jacob booped him on the nose and just left him there. I thought it was him knocking him out to carry him out of danger, not... this.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Don't worry, someone else has solved the problem. Snout did his duty be declaring his intention to help. The villains are standing by.

On the recap, the doctor was clearly asking for the defvribrillator.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
(....)

(....)

(DEAF)

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
That last panel, all I see is those little rubbery "sticky man" toys you attach to windows and watch them climb down.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
"graze a titty to start planeswalking" as a concrete in your story is so loving funny

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Agaragon posted:

(....)

(....)

(DEAF)

The texture pop in is so egregious, it's like nobody even tried to optimize the shaders or anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

YF-23 posted:

Just lol that Jacob booped him on the nose and just left him there. I thought it was him knocking him out to carry him out of danger, not... this.

He's carrying on a Deegan family tradition of obnoxiously puppetmastering instead of helping out in a sane way.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So I guess Mookie watched Pacific Rim this week?

Lemonhead and Snout are about to pilot Snout's body, like the world's shittiest Jaeger.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

"graze a titty to start planeswalking" as a concrete in your story is so loving funny

The main reason Snout was supposed to be able to dreamwalk was because of the sense of calmness and safety he feels with his friends. But Snout's in (mild) danger in this situation, not to mention feeling agitated just last page. So that just leaves *grazes a titty* as his primary way of going into the dream plane.

Just absolute :lol: that Mookie didn't even think of the implications of this or how it makes Snout look to others.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Ink Witch has literally been reduced to a floating pair of tits in that last panel.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought he was getting posessed and now lemon head is going to fight through snout.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I think Lemonhead is piloting the right half of Snout's body since that eye is black and his gloves are black and Snout whose hands are unshaded will control the left half.

Mookie watched "All of Me" this weekend.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Clergy posted:

I think Lemonhead is piloting the right half of Snout's body since that eye is black and his gloves are black and Snout whose hands are unshaded will control the left half.

Mookie watched "All of Me" this weekend.

This is more obscure but: I suspect Mookie watches Dingo Doodles on Youtube. They do animations about their D&D campaigns and one of them has very much the "one black eye, one white eye" half-possessed design and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw that.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is more obscure but: I suspect Mookie watches Dingo Doodles on Youtube. They do animations about their D&D campaigns and one of them has very much the "one black eye, one white eye" half-possessed design and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw that.

A lot of anime likes that design as well.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
why is non-consensual sexual acts always core to his stories, did starchild or whatever have like a dick flashing race?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

why is non-consensual sexual acts always core to his stories, did starchild or whatever have like a dick flashing race?

he never stops to think about the implications

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Thankfully no. The few sex scenes it had (2) were all consensual and - dare I say it - actually pretty competently executed. I think it's likely due to Mookie having a collaborator in Garth, who does a lot of adults-only comics and probably has a better sense of how that sort of scene should be set up and play out. Plus sexuality and nudity weren't at all core themes of the story.

That said, the final arc does deal with human trafficking (well, "life smuggling", as they aren't all human) and it wisely doesn't delve into the obvious territory of sex slavery. I think they do mention some slaves are going to be used for "breeding stock" (???) but it doesn't go any further than that.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 5, 2023

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Time to finish this chapter.

Meet the Flying Spaghetti Monster, aka the Beast. It's a giant eyeball with tentacles, the pinnacle of otherworldly horror according to Mookie.

"It's a side effect of something else. Probably because you're something... else," is a helluva sentence.

Outlining TIM and Celesto's portraits with tentacles is cool, though it looks like the Beast is trying to help illustrate the story. The bigger problem is how Dominic knows what the Beast wanted with TIM and Celesto and it contradicts what we saw earlier. It's implied Celesto's been following TIM for some time and it sure looked like TIM wanted to kill Celesto in that fight, so the idea of the Beast "wanting" Celesto is flat out false. And Celesto didn't "escape", he nuked the place and was captured by the cattlebasters. Did Mookie forget this? Or did he not care?

You'll notice the Beast doesn't speak. That changes.

lol rachel still so dumb

help I'm being pulled into a void at a perfectly flat angle

This epic battle between the author's self-insert and an eldritch abomination consists of tentacle pulling in a featureless void. I'll say this: it's better than the featureless void that is Legacy.

Pink doesn't do the Beast any favors. It's supposed to look fleshy but the flat color and lack of detail makes it look like a really lovely meatball.

SO DUMB AND GODDAMN CRAZY

So Miranda's "trick" is hitting her son in the head? What the gently caress.

Thanks for the exposition. I assume the black magic is from Celesto -- I don't remember what happened in Barnet's soul and I'm not looking it up

oc do not steal

Again, the Beast is supposed to be this incredibly powerful creature but Dominic just goes full DeviantArt and rips it to shreds. Look at that tiny, nude Celesto.

Celesto's here to tell the protagonist where to go and what to do. Question: how is Dominic's sweater staying on his body?

Dom's hopped up on very aggressive magic but he's still talking like a smug academic. Celesto reveals the Beast wanted to be captured, oh noes! Why didn't it attack the capitol if that's where it wanted to go? This is likely due to Mookie's reliance on not plotting out anything and coming up with explanations retroactively.

"I will hurt you. Repeatedly." The words of a hero, everyone. You can argue that Celesto deserves it because he's a cold-blooded prick who doesn't care about hurting others, but still, not the best way to portray someone's who supposed to be unequivocally good. Then again, Celesto probably isn't intimidated by the anime dork with the tiny glasses.

A few things:

1. Awwwwwww, Dominic feels bad! He doesn't want to be like the mean jocks that bullied him in high school! He's so nice and selfless and humble and a;sdkfjeofdsjkafjlsdjs
2. Mookie cuts off any potential future conflict with Luna's comment in panel 3. An interesting avenue for character growth is Dominic relying more and more on black magic, losing control, hurting others, then realizing maybe he's not as powerful as he thought, something, anything. Nah, gently caress that, that part's over.
3. "It took all we had" lmao no it didn't. The fight lasted four pages before Dominic went Super Saiyan, Luna didn't seem bothered, and several of those pages were played for laughs! No one got hurt!
4. tee hee i love it when you threaten me honey

It's Jacob! And, uh, Neilen. Whoever that is.

And that's the end of chapter 25! Next chapter is all about the orcs, god help us all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Ink Witch has literally been reduced to a floating pair of tits in that last panel.
And Snout's head is mysteriously homing in on her cleavage. Like in the first two "real world" panels his head is positioned so it's under her chin and above her boobs, but in the last panel his head is positioned so he's just about faceplanting into her cleavage.

Maybe Arudak elbowed Snout in the back of the head. I guess the three "real world" panels are supposed to look like a dolly zoom or something, but Mookie can't consistently position figures relative to each other except by cut and paste, and since he's changing Main Ink Witch's posture it's just all hosed up and looks like Arudak is kinda floating closer before vanishing (again).

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
looking back at the old comics makes me realize how Mookie has actually regressed as an artist in terms of panel layout, action, motion, among other things

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah. Half a page back we were talking about what "learning" means in the deeganverse. Apparently "learning" is the process by which, over the course of many years, forearms get shorter and shorter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I honestly think most of it is just his inability to deliver on Legacy's format. I think if he was doing legacy as a comic with dialogue, smaller panels/pages, and putting out 5 a week instead of 3, it would still have a better flow. But the way that legacy is structured he's found himself unable to rely on tools like dialogue and has to come up with crutches like characters exchanging notes every 5 minutes. That in particular has messed up with his ability to have a coherent flow of action because, naturally, he doesn't want to have half of every page being handing notes back and forth. So he's built up a habit of skipping actions, having sequential panels take place minutes apart and so on.

I wonder if when legacy is well and done if he will post any kind of post mortem on it and identify what things he experimented with didn't work out. I do not expect it, especially since he tries to take a hyperpositive attitude where if something isn't working out he decides that half-assing it is as good as pushing his limits and growing, but even then I'd imagine he wouldn't want to do dialogue-free again.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Neilen is, to the best of my recollection, a former TA at the college Dominic's mom, Miranda runs. He was introduced in the arc where Dominic taught there for a while for unclear reasons. While Dominic was half-assing his history 101 class, Luna was serving as a TA for (and I know this is a high bar to clear) probably one of Mookie's most annoying side characters, professor Runcible Spoon. He is a monkeycheese randumb humor spouting mad scientist who spends most of his time pulling dangerous juvenile practical jokes on one of his other TAs, the aforementioned Neilen, when he is not subjecting him to cruel experiments. He is of course designated as a good guy/mookie, so no one ever criticizes him for this.

Neilen is an elemental savant, which means he has command over the four greek elements and can partially transform parts of his body into these selfsame elements. He liked Luna and asked her on a date but she rebuffed him, saying she was with Dominic. Neilen refused to take no for an answer and tried to manufacture conflict between Dominic and Luna by giving one of them a magically edited voicemail message he'd created with his air manipulation magic. Whichever of them received this message was not fooled and immediately went to the other and said "can you believe what that idiot Neilen tried to do? can you believe he thought I'd fall for this?" and then laughed. Sensing he'd written himself into a corner, Mookie then had Neilen attack Dominic and Luna's cottage with fireballs. Dominic and/or Runcible Spoon splashed water on him or cast a big fireball spell or dropped a tiny net on him or something and nonlethally incapacitated him and he was dragged off to Spoon's lab for further experimentation.

I think during Tim's assault on the college where he killed a bunch of students, Neilen helped defend the college but was badly wounded and/or killed. Jacob came along and stole his corpse because he wanted to see what kind of zombie he could make out of an elemental savant and turned him into the creature pictured in the final panel of this update. I don't think this ultimately amounts to anything, but who knows? As the recap always reminds me, there's tons of nonsense in OG deegan that just peters out no matter how wild it is.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It still ticks me off that Dominic didn't face any consequences for his bold prediction that "nothing bad will happen at Lynn's Brook" and then the whole town gets exploded. It never occurred to Mookie that if your job is "Oracle for Hire" then your reputation is everything, and making a call that disastrously wrong should ruin you.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ah, but you see, they were not detectable and because we know that, everyone does.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

rudecyrus posted:

looking back at the old comics makes me realize how Mookie has actually regressed as an artist in terms of panel layout, action, motion, among other things

YF-23 posted:

I honestly think most of it is just his inability to deliver on Legacy's format. I think if he was doing legacy as a comic with dialogue, smaller panels/pages, and putting out 5 a week instead of 3, it would still have a better flow. But the way that legacy is structured he's found himself unable to rely on tools like dialogue and has to come up with crutches like characters exchanging notes every 5 minutes. That in particular has messed up with his ability to have a coherent flow of action because, naturally, he doesn't want to have half of every page being handing notes back and forth. So he's built up a habit of skipping actions, having sequential panels take place minutes apart and so on.

I wonder if when legacy is well and done if he will post any kind of post mortem on it and identify what things he experimented with didn't work out. I do not expect it, especially since he tries to take a hyperpositive attitude where if something isn't working out he decides that half-assing it is as good as pushing his limits and growing, but even then I'd imagine he wouldn't want to do dialogue-free again.

I'm gonna expose my mental illness a lot here but this is all too apt for me not to tip my hand

back when I was young, dumb and able to draw a lot I had like a pseudo-one-sided rivalry with Mookie. He was the lovely Goku to my lovely Vegeta; I didn't feel like the greatest artist or writer on earth but I did feel like I was superior to him in both categories (objectively I think it was pretty close, we both sucked and still do), yet I could never catch up in readers, or spread, or anything. I saw a lot of myself in him and his writing, with his awful tendencies being like warped, caricatured versions of my own awful tendencies. Cut from the same cloth, dyed in different media, two turds floating through a sea of stars

as everything falls apart, as Project Wonderful fades into personal memory and webcomics get replaced by webtoons and my intestines flood into my balls, it hurts me personally to see Mookie come back this weak. It shouldn't affect me at all, I don't know him, I have no stake, his failings are his and mine are mine but I'm sick and I habitually put significance on poo poo that doesn't mean anything

I can't draw like I used to so I started replacing art with big chunks of writing, dotted by images where I feel like it, like a storybook
I got better at photoshop, experimented with audience interaction and other gamified elements, invested in better stuff and learned new programs, integrated it all into the process, and now I'm diving deeper and deeper into trying to do poo poo like animate
I'm falling apart but I'm trying to compensate, and no matter how much worse I personally get I feel like my work is improving, even if it's still not good it's infinitely better than it ever has been
life cuts my loving arm off so I come back with a machine gun arm, and meanwhile

I talk a lot of poo poo about Mookie on here, some of it bitter and spiteful and some of it mean spirited but a lot of it's just, why

why can't he try harder

I don't know if I'm winning or losing but I don't want it to be like this man

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
like to be clear me and him are still uncomfortably similar, we're both still more improvisers than planners and there's a ridiculous number of parallels between MDA and Legacy's plots at the surface level (dream worlds and the nature of magic and poo poo) but we're executing those concepts so, so, so differently

I'm gonna regret writing all this but gently caress it, nothing matters

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

I think during Tim's assault on the college where he killed a bunch of students, Neilen helped defend the college but was badly wounded and/or killed. Jacob came along and stole his corpse because he wanted to see what kind of zombie he could make out of an elemental savant and turned him into the creature pictured in the final panel of this update. I don't think this ultimately amounts to anything, but who knows? As the recap always reminds me, there's tons of nonsense in OG deegan that just peters out no matter how wild it is.

i think dude just got kicked out or demoted or whatever, then was absent for a while until terraciano pulled one of his favourite narrative tricks: having one of his cool and edgy villains show up to horrifically maim or murder the high school bully type villain to indulge in petty revenge while keeping his protagonists' hands clean. naturally this also means jacob is more deserving of redemption despite having the bodycount of a slasher villain than a guy who's mean while playing sports.

to be fair to him though he hasn't pulled that trick in legacy yet, so maybe he realised it's actually kinda skeevy. or it's because snout is even more cloistered than dominic and the comic only has two antagonists who barely did anything, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mx. posted:

Thank gently caress it's Friday and I got new meds

Also this I guess

Late to comment on this specific point, but love how he's carrying a heavy book in the same hand as he just got a finger broken/dislocated in.