Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1643520691013054465

:toot:

e: There is no answer to the equation φ(x) = 114, making 114 a nontotient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hmm.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/05/peter-murrell-nicola-sturgeons-husband-arrested-over-snp-funding-investigation

quote:

Peter Murrell, Nicola Sturgeon’s husband, has been arrested by Scottish police in an investigation into the Scottish National party’s fundraising and finances.

Police Scotland said a 58-year-old man had been “arrested as a suspect” on Wednesday and added that its officers were carrying out searches at a number of addresses linked to the investigation.

The investigation was launched after complaints about the SNP’s handling of £600,000 in donations raised by the party ostensibly to campaign for and hold a second independence referendum.

It is alleged the money instead was used to help with the party’s day-to-day running costs...

Not a party funding expert, so not sure how 'bad' this is in law.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

While I'm all for political parties being legally bound by their campaign or fundraising promises, somehow I don't think this level of scrutiny will be applied to other parties.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Darth Walrus posted:

You absolutely, 100% sure this isn't just Westminster exploiting the SNP's change of leadership to try to cripple their last remaining serious opposition with a politically-motivated investigation/arrest? We're still continuing to learn more about the insanely dodgy bullshit the British establishment and its institutions pulled against Corbyn's Labour, and the Nats, being an openly secessionist party with (by definition) little English representation) have even less protection of legitimacy than they did.

Policing is devolved to Scotland. This is just good old fashioned crimes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1643546609886658561/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol that we've been through a Boris and its Sturgeon that ends up getting done for dodgyness.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Can I start a claim against the Labour party for all the money they redirected away from the 2017 election?

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 5, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JoylessJester posted:

Can I start a against the Labour party for all the money the redirected away from the 2017 election?

Or that they've pissed away all the coffers on lawsuits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leggsy posted:

Policing is devolved to Scotland. This is just good old fashioned crimes.

How devolved, though? Maybe this is just paranoia speaking, but I'd be very surprised if Westminster didn't at least have some means (either formal or informal) to sic men in uniform on secessionists.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1643520691013054465

:toot:

e: There is no answer to the equation φ(x) = 114, making 114 a nontotient.

Does this mean they're planning to leave the trash where it is until the perpetrator is caught, assuming they are (which they won't be, because people will just go to anywhere that doesn't have a security camera)?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does this mean they're planning to leave the trash where it is until the perpetrator is caught, assuming they are (which they won't be, because people will just go to anywhere that doesn't have a security camera)?

Guess what else Starmer's main government project will be!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yes, but... how?

[404 error: answer not found]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Start posting these in the politoons thread imo

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Darth Walrus posted:

How devolved, though? Maybe this is just paranoia speaking, but I'd be very surprised if Westminster didn't at least have some means (either formal or informal) to sic men in uniform on secessionists.

The Scottish Government have full control of police funding and Scots Law has been devolved since the Acts of Union. This is actually an act of independence supporting friendly fire, as the misappropriated 500K was originally reported to the police by Sean Clerkin of Scottish Resistance fame.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

People sometimes go to jail for it when they're caught, usually people you haven't heard of it but still.

JoylessJester posted:

Can I start a against the Labour party for all the money the redirected away from the 2017 election?

Tik, tok. Although being more serious it depends what that money was used for. One of the issues I think you'll have is that Labour raised a lot of money nationally so it could go to any of their campaigns. There are national spending limits on constituencies so it would be a case of showing they were breached if they were.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Leggsy posted:

The Scottish Government have full control of police funding and Scots Law has been devolved since the Acts of Union. This is actually an act of independence supporting friendly fire, as the misappropriated 500K was originally reported to the police by Sean Clerkin of Scottish Resistance fame.

Honestly not much friendly about the split in the yes movement. Cracking article at the weekend from my own MSP & Grade A oval office Fergus Ewing who clearly took Kate Forbes loss well & has decided the Nats need to get out of the government with the Greens.

“I hope for the sake of the party I have served for half a century that we will soon extricate ourselves from this connection with a party which is not so much green but deepest red – of the extreme left."

Ross Greer of the Greens, a good egg, suggested Ewing was “so far to the right he’d make Boris Johnson blush”. & that "his brand of conservative politics make him indistinguishable from the Tories on most issues, so if it’s a return to the frontbench he’s angling for then he probably stands a better chance with his dear friend Douglas Ross than he does with this progressive Government, which he so clearly despises."

Which is fair, Ewing personifies not just Tartan Tory but also nepo-baby

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sleeping bags chat:

From what I gather from a friend who is a former MP, quite a few MPs keep sleeping bags & camp beds in their offices, usually those who live a commutable distance from Westminster but occasionally miss the last train - whether from late sittings or too much taxpayer-subsidised drink in the bars.

Anyway, I consider myself a genius: the incomprehensible SSE Business Energy bill for our flats came in on Friday based on estimates.
I called on Monday with customer readings and also added them on to my spreadsheet. The new bill was just issued and my estimate on my s/sheet is just 1p out! (On net £567 bill).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 5, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Repulsive Riley strikes again:

https://twitter.com/SimonAttwood/status/1643349949336174592?s=20

Her husband is Russian. Shouldn't she be boycotting him or something?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 5, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

By the rules of football purism, she's right. Support your local team or gtfo :argh:

Edit Riley is also the rear end in a top hat, she's from Essex, she should be following Southend or some other bunch of nomarks.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 5, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

By the rules of football purism, she's right. Support your local team or gtfo :argh:

Edit Riley is also the rear end in a top hat, she's from Essex, she should be following Southend or some other bunch of nomarks.

Aye, her team should be Rochford Town, from the 11th tier

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah, hate to say it but she is right. That isn't "racist".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't make the rules.

Rangers/Celtic supporters take note. Your postcode don't start with a G then go gently caress yourself.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Is that meant to be corbyn?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

Yeah, hate to say it but she is right. That isn't "racist".

She's not right. A plastic fan is one who supports a team in their league over their home team, usually because it's more prestigious. As an Indian he has no home team to support, so he can't be a plastic (although he might still be a glory hound).

E: and Mr Banerjee is especially correct about Man United fans. As the joke goes, how many Man U fans does it take to change a light bulb? Two - one to change the bulb, the other to drive him up from Surrey.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 5, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Puntification posted:

Is that meant to be corbyn?

Yes. It's also satire, just in case anyone didn't realise

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Always amazed that someone can find a way to take more bribes than is legally already allowed in Britain. It's like breaking age of consent laws in Little St. James.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jedit posted:

As an Indian he has no home team to support

What, football doesn’t exist in India?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

She's not right. A plastic fan is one who supports a team in their league over their home team, usually because it's more prestigious. As an Indian he has no home team to support, so he can't be a plastic (although he might still be a glory hound).

E: and Mr Banerjee is especially correct about Man United fans. As the joke goes, how many Man U fans does it take to change a light bulb? Two - one to change the bulb, the other to drive him up from Surrey.

The Indian league system is about to have 10 tiers, with the Super League at the top with 12 clubs, then the I-League's 1 & 2 before getting to regional divisions. There's a team in the top 3 tiers in most parts of India, Gujarat & Uttar Pradesh seems a bit lacking.

That said, also it's the 21st century, football is on the telly from everywhere. I got no problem with people having a 2nd team in a foreign land.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1643516321014104064

Labour will turn rubbish strewn run down housing estates into gardens for stately homes! :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scientastic posted:

What, football doesn’t exist in India?

Of course it does. I meant he has no home team in the EPL, so he can support who he likes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I don't make the rules.

Rangers/Celtic supporters take note. Your postcode don't start with a G then go gently caress yourself.

Nobody outside of Glasgow who supports Rangers or Celtic does so to be bathed in the glow of their reflected glory.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Meanwhile…

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I hope they're taking account of inflation there, her Maj was around quite a while.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
had our unison branch meeting today and basically. yeah. the NHS pay deal isn't great. but if we say no then what. we did a poo poo job of getting people to strike the first time round and there's no reason we'll be any better this time.

deadline to vote is friday next week, will probably wait until then to see if anything new comes out.

but a few members did feel kinda pissed that the messaging from unions has been VOTE FOR THIS. OR YOU'LL GET JACK poo poo (but we will be holding a vote about it)

organising in the NHS is loving hard because you're trying to lead hundreds of tired horses to water while also having a job which is also very loving stressful and made hard by the reasons you're trying to strike in the first place

it just feels like poo poo having the tories' boot on our neck for an eternity and having to be grateful for the scraps and whatever you do will be spun to make poo poo harder for you down the line

i'm so tired

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jedit posted:

Of course it does. I meant he has no home team in the EPL, so he can support who he likes.

Sure, but it also limits who he can call a "plastic glory hunter". Maybe if he was a boreham wood fan and not arsenal he would get more leeway. :D

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a counter to this, here is a news story about the good Countdown mathematician.

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/carol-vorderman-special-friends-764629

Sounds like she is living a great life.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Oh my loving god this is the worst thing I've ever seen.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

had our unison branch meeting today and basically. yeah. the NHS pay deal isn't great. but if we say no then what. we did a poo poo job of getting people to strike the first time round and there's no reason we'll be any better this time.

deadline to vote is friday next week, will probably wait until then to see if anything new comes out.

but a few members did feel kinda pissed that the messaging from unions has been VOTE FOR THIS. OR YOU'LL GET JACK poo poo (but we will be holding a vote about it)

organising in the NHS is loving hard because you're trying to lead hundreds of tired horses to water while also having a job which is also very loving stressful and made hard by the reasons you're trying to strike in the first place

it just feels like poo poo having the tories' boot on our neck for an eternity and having to be grateful for the scraps and whatever you do will be spun to make poo poo harder for you down the line

i'm so tired

Voting No was pretty easy, imo
You just have to click the button

[edit]
The point I've made to others is that this is the same messaging we got from the unions with the 2018 pay deal. "This is a good deal and you should accept it" - it got accepted and then, oh look, when people did the sums it turns out it was a poo poo deal. Bad enough that heads rolled at the RCN.
If we keep accepting poo poo deals from the government, the only message they learn is that they can keep offering us poo poo and we'll eventually accept it.
If the unions can't get a better deal than that, then we need better unions.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 5, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/babble____/status/1643563075268759554?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

I don't make the rules.

You support the team you were brought up with. I'm not going to un-remember decades of tribalism to become a loving St Mirren fan.

The more radical thought is you only get to play for your local team.