Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

At least Spectacular is on Netflix now and will hopefully reach a big audience. I love the way it introduces all the villains as human characters right away so they're already established by the time they get their powers. Though I still think Eddie's heel turn was extremely forced and it's the one time I felt like the show was forcing a round peg into a square hole. Definitely the best Spidey television though. People never believe me when I tell them it's way better than the 90s cartoon because they have nostalgia goggles on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loved the 90s cartoon when I was a kid, but even at that age I knew it wasn't very good. That's bananas to me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MokBa posted:

At least Spectacular is on Netflix now

Is this Netflix UK? I can’t find it on mine, only the three Raimi films.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

MrMojok posted:

Is this Netflix UK? I can’t find it on mine, only the three Raimi films.

I could swear I just watched it on Netflix but apparently it's on Disney+.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jeff! :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW9i6k8cB0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIOBLr1NDU

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Absolutely cannot wait for the new movie. But it feels like that trailer is showing way too much…

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Yellow Ant posted:

Absolutely cannot wait for the new movie. But it feels like that trailer is showing way too much…
all I saw was that the movie will have conflict

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Miguel is so top-heavy I can only assume he ate another Spider-Man to get that way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yellow Ant posted:

I dunno, it gave me just enough story to hook me. The one before was just ‘Everyone Hates Miles’ without giving reason why.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

A lot of the backgrounds in that trailer looked half-sketched or out of focus, almost like watching a 3D shot without the glasses. Obviously it’s intentional, but I recall into the spiderverse having a little more detail than that. I haven’t seen it in a couple years now, so maybe it’s the same and I forgot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

So my biggest concern is that the conflict feels a little reheated? Like the first movie was “miles gets powers but can’t use them properly and fucks something up which makes his Spider-compatriots say he’s not ready until he has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day” and a lot of that is echoed in the trailer. Miles wants to be a part of the Council of Spideys, Miguel clearly thinks he’s not ready, presumably after loving something up or wanting to gently caress something up, Miles has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day. Even the notes of Gwen’s dialogue hit that same “I tried having a friend, he died, I don’t want to risk you dying too” thing. I trust that there will be more to it than that; Miguel appears to be the idealized version of what Miles wants to be, right down to speaking perfect Spanish that would presumably not earn a B and piss off his mom, and I assume Miles’ gently caress-up is slightly larger scale than crushing a USB drive and watching his Uncle die because Miles made his guard drop.

I think it would be a little hilarious if Spiderverse ended up doing roughly the same plot as Flashpoint (loving with time to bring a parent back) because I have to imagine it will be wildly more successful than The Flash at making that story interesting

Dinosaurs! posted:

A lot of the backgrounds in that trailer looked half-sketched or out of focus, almost like watching a 3D shot without the glasses. Obviously it’s intentional, but I recall into the spiderverse having a little more detail than that. I haven’t seen it in a couple years now, so maybe it’s the same and I forgot.

I think it’s because they’re going to so many different worlds rather than stickin in one. They’re going a lot more abstract with most of them because they’ve got a bajillion to get to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DC Murderverse posted:

So my biggest concern is that the conflict feels a little reheated? Like the first movie was “miles gets powers but can’t use them properly and fucks something up which makes his Spider-compatriots say he’s not ready until he has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day” and a lot of that is echoed in the trailer. Miles wants to be a part of the Council of Spideys, Miguel clearly thinks he’s not ready, presumably after loving something up or wanting to gently caress something up, Miles has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day. Even the notes of Gwen’s dialogue hit that same “I tried having a friend, he died, I don’t want to risk you dying too” thing. I trust that there will be more to it than that; Miguel appears to be the idealized version of what Miles wants to be, right down to speaking perfect Spanish that would presumably not earn a B and piss off his mom, and I assume Miles’ gently caress-up is slightly larger scale than crushing a USB drive and watching his Uncle die because Miles made his guard drop.

I think it would be a little hilarious if Spiderverse ended up doing roughly the same plot as Flashpoint (loving with time to bring a parent back) because I have to imagine it will be wildly more successful than The Flash at making that story interesting

At the center of the Mutiverse Web, Miles utters the words "No more Spider-Men!"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is nothing more SA than deciding that an upcoming movie is going to be garbage.

Not going to look, but I bet there were similar posts before Into the Spider-Verse came out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MrMojok posted:

There is nothing more SA than deciding that an upcoming movie is going to be garbage.

I feel like that has to have happened outside SA before.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A lot of people apparently salty that Miguel calls the MCU "Earth-199999" in the trailer instead of the Feige-approved Earth-616 like in the MCU movies themselves. LOL

I remember Iman Vellani (Ms Marvel) saying she argued with Kevin Feige about this. It is pretty funny in light of Feige himself complaining the Bryan Singer X-Men movie he worked on did not follow the comics completely.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 5, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

A lot of people apparently salty that Miguel calls the MCU "Earth-199999" in the trailer instead of the Feige-approved Earth-616 like in the MCU movies themselves. LOL

I remember Iman Vellani (Ms Marvel) saying she argued with Kevin Feige about this. It is pretty funny in light of Feige himself complaining the Bryan Singer X-Men movie he worked on did not follow the comics completely.

Different people in different universes would have different numbering schemes for the multiverse. Why value one over another, and why defer to the method used by the Captain Britain professional organization that Alan Moore chose so that he could call Marvel Comics the antichrist?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Different people in different universes would have different numbering schemes for the multiverse. Why value one over another, and why defer to the method used by the Captain Britain professional organization that Alan Moore chose so that he could call Marvel Comics the antichrist?

I don't know, that sounds like a good reason to listen to Alan Moore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

It was David Thorpe who started the story who used the 616 number and while he was tempted to just use 666 because it was in regards to the universe that was just being a boat anchor to the rest of reality that number was too easy so he just subtracted 50 because -61.6 Farenheit is when the school in the coldest town in Siberia closed. Then Thorpe got fired before he could put in the book but Moore used it because he didn't like how DC never used bigger numbers for their alternate realities.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 5, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought it was a joke on how DC offices used to be on street number 666 or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The MSJ posted:

It's funny, I would've figured the opposite would be true. But also, if memory serves Peter B Parker is from Spiderverse's version of 616 so the designation was taken.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

MrMojok posted:

Not going to look, but I bet there were similar posts before Into the Spider-Verse came out.

The first spider-verse is like my favorite comic book movie this first trailer is retreading a ton of great scenes from the first one so that gives me pause along with the dumb meme that they have done like 5 times at this point.

There have also been comic book movies and spider-man like nonstop since then.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Wait, hasn't 616 been the main comics' continuity since the 70s or 80s? Why would that also be the MCU continuity?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It was David Thorpe who started the story who used the 616 number and while he was tempted to just use 666 because it was in regards to the universe that was just being a boat anchor to the rest of reality that number was too easy so he just subtracted 50 because -61.6 Farenheit is when the school in the coldest town in Siberia closed. Then Thorpe got fired before he could put in the book but Moore used it because he didn't like how DC never used bigger numbers for their alternate realities.

Aren’t there earlier versions of the Book of Revelation that use 616 instead of 666? I don’t doubt the author’s story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's very weird that 6 is used when the various 7s all around that part of the Bible are barely-concealed references to the Roman state.

Maybe someone really hated Sixtus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Aren’t there earlier versions of the Book of Revelation that use 616 instead of 666? I don’t doubt the author’s story.

It's suspected that it might instead be code for what amounts to an alternate spelling of Nero's name but that's is a pretty deep cut.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

with how many spideys are in the trailer, like at least 1/4 of them are gonna get maimed by the end right?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GateOfD posted:

with how many spideys are in the trailer, like at least 1/4 of them are gonna get maimed by the end right?

If Spot turns out to be Carnage in disguise, I'm going to buy a hundred tickets.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sequels were always going to be tricky in my mind. How many interesting arcs are there to take a spider-person other than death-guilt-resolve.

I thought the comic thing where Doc Ock had CTE was pretty cool though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I feel like the Spider-Rumble and Miguel drama will all be part of a plot that brings Miles down to a "no more Spider-Man" moment that he later recovers from in stellar fashion. Everything we've seen so far appears to be from the first third of the movie or so, in my eyes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrMojok posted:

It isn't alwaya people being assholes. Rather a lot of folks have just had their hearts broken by disappointing sequels or poo poo ends to long-running series and such and don't want to let themselves hope.

As for me, I'm hyped to gently caress and back.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

It isn't alwaya people being assholes. Rather a lot of folks have just had their hearts broken by disappointing sequels or poo poo ends to long-running series and such and don't want to let themselves hope.

As for me, I'm hyped to gently caress and back.

Yeah, that’s fair.

And I’m hyped too. I think Spider-Verse isn’t just my favorite superhero film of all time, but one of my favorite films of any genre (and I’m not huge into superhero stuff, generally speaking)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think this one is gonna be about how you don’t have to measure yourself by anyone else to be a hero. They’re setting Miguel up to be “the Perfect Spider-Man” but it’s going to turn out he’s got his own flaws and that Miles doesn’t have to be the the Perfect Spider-Man to be a perfect Spider-Man or even a good man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, that’s fair.

And I’m hyped too. I think Spider-Verse isn’t just my favorite superhero film of all time, but one of my favorite films of any genre (and I’m not huge into superhero stuff, generally speaking)

Oh yeah, ITSV is in my top 5 films. It was on my plane’s entertainment system on a flight a couple of days ago, and I rewatched it for the first time in over a year. It’s still so, so good.

“You’re the best of all of us, Miles. You’re on your way. Just keep going.” :gbsmith:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like to bring up the fact my kiddo got into Spiderverse big time for a couple months and watched it almost daily. Never got sick of watching it. Its one of those movies the people working on it we’re having a revelation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GateOfD posted:

I highly doubt it. That would be mean-spirited and the first movie was anything but. I really doubt in a film series that really is a celebration of Spider-Man is going to then maim or kill a bunch of them.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Invalid Validation posted:

I like to bring up the fact my kiddo got into Spiderverse big time for a couple months and watched it almost daily. Never got sick of watching it. Its one of those movies the people working on it we’re having a revelation.

when I was teaching and it was a pre-holiday, half-day, or in the hours after standardized testing when everyone's burned out and can't work, I threw this on at least once a year and it's real, real hard to find anyone who's seen it too often

and it was a real fuckin treat to show it to the kids before it became more widely available through streaming and watch the first impressions

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait, hasn't 616 been the main comics' continuity since the 70s or 80s? Why would that also be the MCU continuity?

Because kevin feige and Disney at large are not exactly subtle about their intentions of making the MCU the de facto “real” marvel universe superseding the actual comics, and one of the multiverse MCU movies (either spidey 3 or strange 2) explicitly called the MCU earth 616 as a part of this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't think Feige's trying to usurp anything, it just rolls off the tongue better than 1999999, and has been in Easter Eggs all over the dang place in the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The first place it showed up, as an easter egg, was way back in 2013 with Thor 2 even.