Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Funi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/4/03

Brenda Starr Joins a Cult 9/21-23/50

Smokey Stover 11/22/53

Everyday Movies 4/13/36

"I don't want you playing your radio, Mr. Brown, until you settle up. No rent, no revelry."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/20-22/41

What a twist, huh? Someone ought to write this stuff up and send it to M. Night Shyamalan.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 5, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

F.B.A.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Schwarzwald posted:

This is somehow the second Victor Borge joke I've seen this week as well as the second I've seen since 1992.

Huh, what was the first one?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That's dirt. They're eating dirt.

Time for another Holbrook pregnancy arc, I guess.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Eh. You get used to 'em. (Says the Texan)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I appreciate the edit but alas, I don't get it

Fingerpori

In Finnish slang, the word for a YouTube content creator is "tubettaja", i.e. "tuber". I actually thought "tuber" would work in English too, but couldn't quickly find evidence for that so went with the safer "Youtuber", which can be stretched to work as the joke too, maybe??

ANSU

I'll need to scan some more Ansu...

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 5, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

In Finnish slang, the word for a YouTube content creator is "tubettaja", i.e. "tuber". I actually thought "tuber" would work in English too, but couldn't quickly find evidence for that so went with the safer "Youtuber", which can be stretched to work as the joke too, maybe??

If you could convince yourself people would read the device as an endoscope, you could almost get away with "camgirl."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Putting on my stock text DIGIMON shirt for otacon this year.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/20-22/41

What a twist, huh? Someone ought to write this stuff up and send it to M. Night Shyamalan.

Angrily throwing my hat on the ground and folding my arms.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Last page tomorrow as Solver 10 wraps up.

Add Toby Jug Carvery to the list of "British things that I was completely unfamiliar with until JA mentioned it." Definitely seems luxurious.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

I wasn't aware we were allowed to post the courtroom artist's work from Trump's arrest!
I mean they're very nice work, Jane Rosenberg did a great job capturing the 'leathery grinch' vibe while preserving the jabba-like posture.
https://twitter.com/reuterspictures/status/1643357029753409541
Wait isn't this just them straight-up loving in front of everyone? Exchanging pollen and everything?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

in today's hagar the horrible we discuss penetrative sex with fish

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hempuli posted:

I appreciate the edit but alas, I don't get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDX1Vl-Jxk

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, in which here we go again.

Skippy (May 9, 1935)

Peanuts (April 2, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

It's raining cement today.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 4, 1939)

Out Our Way (June 23-25, 1941)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Selachian posted:

"Also, I have boatloads of cash in my wallet, some car keys, and an apartment key? And I was told I had amnesia. Oh well, no need to investigate the name I was checked into the hospital under."

Drakyn posted:

Wait isn't this just them straight-up loving in front of everyone? Exchanging pollen and everything?

We were previously told that they deliberately chose plants that couldn't pollinate each other as DNA sources. (They did, however, chose plants that could self-pollinate, but presumably Holbrook didn't know that.).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth, in which here we go again.

I'm with Sally's mom here :colbert:. When you feel like you're not wanted, you act passive-aggressively.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm with Sally's mom here :colbert:. When you feel like you're not wanted, you act passive-aggressively.
When you yourself are the cause and source of that unwanted aura, you brought it on yourself.
I'd be more sympathetic if she'd seemed more interested and less resigned when granddaughter refused to be chased away. If you are the problem, at least *try* to fix your poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 5, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 05, 1956)

After all of this, Garm better be granted a fief.

~Coxy posted:

Huh, what was the first one?

I can't find it now that I'm looking for it, but I got linked to one of his bits on tiktok.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sally's Mom was a jackass for years before the current arrangement. I wonder at what point she made the change or if this has been a lifelong thing.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Cracking open a new issue of Popcom in 1939

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/22-24/50

That last panel is probably the second most famous Pogo quote, after "We have met the enemy and he is us."

And regardless of whether Kelly intended it or not, it's hard not to look at this whole storyline in the light of the Red Scare, which was just getting up to full speed as Joe McCarthy's investigations grabbed national attention.

Archie 1/2-4/47

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

Pogo 6/22-24/50

That last panel is probably the second most famous Pogo quote, after "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Possibly one of my favourite pieces of advice in all of fiction, really.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

i would watch the ever loving heck out of a q-rais wizard of oz

like an animated one i mean, monya the grey was so good

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

If my main character was a lawyer, I wouldn't do a series on how lovely lawyers are. But that's just me.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

:success:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Here we are, the final page of Solver, with matters as up-in-the-air, arguably, as they began. Will the series return? I don’t know. We have to think that it might. Series tend to return by popular acclamation, so let me know when you’re ready for a redux.

Next up, seven weeks of something called “Kit + The Wolf”. We’ll have to see what that is tomorrow. I’ll tell you this: it’s not like anything else I’ve done. It’s not even like Mordawwa.

Thus concludes both Solver 10 as well as this run of Solver. As others have mentioned this comic seemed to be a mixed bag. While it was interesting seeing what Lottie and Claire were up to after Bad Machinery, it didn't feel as interesting as it could have been. Lottie having adventures adventures after leaving home, as well as her first real romance, should have higher stakes then what we got. I think a lot of has to do with the fact that while Allison knows what he doesn't want to do with Lottie (go back to solving mysteries, go to college), he can't figure out what he should do with her. While being in a state of flux is supposed to be the theme for Solver, I don't know if it makes for the best stories.

That said I didn't hate the comic. Allison has built a lot of goodwill over the years, and I do like seeing his various characters. Furthermore I think the 3 page a week webcomic schedule does draw out and thus weaken the story and when you read it all in one go it works better. I do think there should have been a bit more depth (I guess), with Lottie solving more problems with Glenn and Claire, as well her relationship with Nero interfering with her new solving business.

Those are my immediate thoughts anyway. It usually takes me a few days to really think over a work. I'll post the "Kit + The Wolf" page tomorrow and see if the thread wants to read it.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 17, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 8-10, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (December 13-15, 1920)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Unless the Skipper can locate that crowbar very shortly it looks as though the track will have to be repaired at this point.

THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR: He might possibly have got home with his wife's freshly pressed suit if he hadn't stopped to buy a newspaper.

Dok's Dippy Dereliction of Duty (September 2, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 21-23, 1938)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

No Consequences!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 3, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 22-23, 1993)

"Dark matter" is a rad term imo.

Big Nate