Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I tried figuring out where Binance was based some time ago with no luck.

They have no head office or headquarters, they just exist as a web of random companies. When CZ is asked he says they will announce the location of the central company "soon", or that Binance is a "new type of organization that does not need registered bank accounts or postal addresses"

Most addresses attributed to them are post office boxes and virtual offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Powershift posted:

or that Binance is a "new type of organization that does not need registered bank accounts or postal addresses"

Lmao yeah, good luck with that one buddy, I'm sure the courts will love that one.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If it really worked to have no location they'd never send him legal notices.

Surprise, sure seems like it isn't working.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 4, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'm going to plug my ears and yell really loudly so I can't hear you if you tell me my actions are illegal, therefore I can keep doing them!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wouldn't a crime organization putting out a notice they are seeking a criminal be something very very easy to look up and confirm?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

Wouldn't a crime organization putting out a notice they are seeking a criminal be something very very easy to look up and confirm?

interpol red notices can be public but most aren't.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/forbes/status/1642756330023682053?s=46&t=VgxQIaC51zvgZwQwqOtptw

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

I don't think he understand what unseizable means. Or property for that matter.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

what's with tech/coin/libertarian bros always talking about genocides?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It's dumb reasoning but still better than getting into crypto because you were that loving mad about a warlock nerf.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

They all secretly fantasize about the world being reduced to an apocalyptic wasteland, where their horde of fake computer money and donkey butt nfts will somehow make them feudal lords in a land without rules or electricity.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Lammasu posted:

I don't think he understand what unseizable means. Or property for that matter.
genociding criminals may kill your family and take away your heirloom rugs, but at least you'll still have your grandfather's ugly monkey jpegs, because they didn't care enough to steal the monkey jpegs

I tried reading the article (archive.org link to bypass paywall) to see if there is any attempt whatsoever to explain how this poo poo is supposed to be unseizable, and... no, not really. The author never bothers to ask "so, why wouldn't someone willing to commit genocide also be willing to take a pipe wrench to your kneecaps until you give up your private keys?", so of course Ohanian the deep-thinker never offers up any thoughts on the topic. The actual takeaway here seems to be that if your family's heirlooms are stolen by genociding criminals, you should simply get rich by selling a website and buy them back:

Forbes posted:

Sitting in the living room of his $1.8 million farmhouse man cave, complete with chickens and a life-size statue of Ironman, around the corner from the palatial mansion he owns with his wife, tennis star Serena Williams in Jupiter, Florida, Reddit co-founder Ohanian somberly sips his coffee. Reflecting on the events of the genocide of 1915, when an estimated 1.5 million people were killed, Ohanian gestures to the three newly acquired Armenian rugs on floor around him, explaining how his family's inheritance of heirloom rugs was seized by Turkish soldiers.

“Any group of people who have in their consciousness, or in their collective history, some idea of persecution, especially by a state, makes the idea of a store of value that is not controlled by any single state very attractive,” says Ohanian. “And so, in some ways it was hardwired in me then, and made me in a way receptive to the idea of a decentralized currency.”
The author does helpfully point out that most NFTs and cryptos have cratered in value since Ohanian bought in, and they are also such a pain in the rear end to deal with that even Ohanian does not actually hold many keys himself. (We can also add "real estate transactions" to the list of things that Ohanian does not seem to understand.)

Forbes posted:

If there is a digital asset Ohanian favors, it is non-fungible tokens or NFTs. He personally owns no fewer than 700 NFTs stored on a third-party site, giving him early access to organizations like Los Angeles-based Islands, a company 776 [Ohanian's fund] also owns that is building its own metaverse. Ohanian also owns NFTs that give him ownership rights to real estate in Georgia; and to the Ethereum Naming Service, a registry for domains that would work under a decentralized version of the internet known as Web3. Ohanian also owns NFTs stored elsewhere, and many that are self-custodied.
While privacy is fine if you’re an individual investor, it doesn’t work the same for registered investment advisors. To comply with regulatory requirements, 776 stores its digital assets at two separate regulated third-party custodians that can be compelled to hand over or freeze assets. Same goes for at least one of 776’s limited partnership holdings, according to Ryan Akkina, of MIT’s Investment Management Co., which stores its digital assets with a third-party custodian bank.
Promptly after receiving the RIA license, 776 set about raising a $176 million crypto fund that dwindled to just $6 million as the digital-asset sector was engulfed by its crypto winter. “I got that timing wrong,” he says. Instead, 30% of a planned $776 million capital raise expected to be announced later this year will be set aside to invest in Web3 startups, The Information reported, citing investor documents. Though Ohanian declined to share details on how the bulk of his portfolio has performed, it’s hard to see how 776 could have escaped the digital asset market’s recent collapse. Following the overall NFT market–whose monthly volume has collapsed 83% since its all-time high last January, according to data site CryptoSlam– trading of Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs, the flagship of portfolio company Yuga Labs has dropped 88% from its record; Doodles NFT activity is down 85%; and Moonbirds, created by Proof, is off 98%. Making matters worse, half of the $200 million Ohanian had earmarked to invest in blockchain social networks was for companies building on Solana, the favorite of bankrupt FTX’s former CEO Sam Bankman-Fried. Solana’s sol token was valued at $258 when the allocation was announced, now it trades at about $25.
I had never heard of that "Moonbirds" one, but the author was prepared for that and adds a delightful bit of context:

Forbes guy posted:

When 776 invested $10 million into Digg founder Kevin Rose’s new NFT startup Proof, it also bought a basket of NFTs created by the firm. “The NFTs let us increase the surface area of what we can invest in,” says Ohanian referring to the great potential of these tokens as unique branded entities.
if you're looking to maximize surface area, Alexis, maybe try investing in something that's not shaped like a bubble

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Because it's cheap rhetorical armor that makes journalists etc. pause for a second before they criticize/question you. "Ok, now how do I say Alexis is full of poo poo without sounding like I'm minimizing a genocide?"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, his grandparents were victims of a genocide, and what he took from hearing about that wasn't a burning desire to bring about world peace, but "man it sucks when people take your rugs because then you don't have a rug". His supposed generational trauma has given him exactly the same motivation as The Dude

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have no rugs and I must pull.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Dabir posted:

His supposed generational trauma has given him exactly the same motivation as The Dude

those rugs really tie the $1.8 million farmhouse man cave together, man

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's my rug, and my right to pull it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i want to believe that he just completely misunderstood the word genocide to mean specifically rug theft

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
All my rugs, gone

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hello? Police? I want to report a genocide! They took all my rugs, all of them!!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

i want to believe that he just completely misunderstood the word genocide to mean specifically rug theft

Maybe that's what genocide means in Armenian.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rad-daddio posted:

They all secretly fantasize about the world being reduced to an apocalyptic wasteland, where their horde of fake computer money and donkey butt nfts will somehow make them feudal lords in a land without rules or electricity.

no they got that covered.

solar ham radio and looms or analog machines doing blockchains.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bitcoin is a store of electricity so they can burn them back into power and live off it for thousands of years.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just found this and I can't process it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

I’m not surprised. I see a lot of scams targeting ethnic minority groups here in the UK. In tyool 2023, there’s still “giving circles” and the like still doing the rounds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What the gently caress, why is the twitter loading icon that dumb meme coin dog?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure Musk is trying to pull a pump and dump.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
musk sold the rights to the bird to buy a new mattress for the employee barracks

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Look! I found a TA expert with Ghostty's rainbow!
https://t.me/mattdtacharts/5865

crypto fools posted:

BTC Rainbow Chart

This chart needs no explanation...

If you believe in crypto and youre willing to hold (this is always the better option over trying to beat the market) then now is the time to buy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh no...that arc is flattening...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh no...that arc is flattening...

They readjusted the scale not too long ago because it stopped working.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's a good thing they predicted those crashes so well, look how high the peaks are above the red zones and recall how people were all doomsayers at the time due to their ta charts

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
That rainbow chart is hilarious to see every time

Rainbows, famous for only arcing upward forever and to the moon, known for never going back down again. That's how rainbows work, right guys?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rainbows are actually circles. Bitcoin will start travelling back in time when it hits negative values.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
🌈 accurate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does this mean bitcoin is gay?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paladinus posted:

Rainbows are actually circles. Bitcoin will start travelling back in time when it hits negative values.

Time is a flat circle, i'm told.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I hear there's gold at the end of it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does this mean bitcoin is gay?

Bitcoin only wishes it could be that cool or relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

What the gently caress, why is the twitter loading icon that dumb meme coin dog?

You know why.