Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
If they manage to keep the price down, a remote play machine is actually great. That's one of the main things I do with my steam deck and the experience is shockingly good provided your home network is up to snuff.

I have PS5 wired to my router, and I play games by my fire pit in the backyard with no lag and no issues besides the occasional hiccup.

Trying to sell this device as something you can bring outside the house is really stupid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I play games by my ice cave and wind temple with similar levels of wifi success.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you have a smartphone or a tablet (or a steam deck) you already have a remote play machine and it’s also a smartphone or a tablet (or a steam deck)

Combinatory value off the charts

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Well yeah, but when I use my iPad I have to prop it up on something, pair a controller. It's clumsy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pairing a controller is easy when you have 6 dualsenses lol. I've got one that permanently resides in my bedside table as the dedicated remote play controller

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-handheld/

I'm borrowing the gimmick of that other poster who posts rumours

NGL I read two paragraphs and scrolled back up to see if this was a Vikar Jerome post

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It sounds like I’ve already basically made a better version of this supposed PlayStation handheld when I bring my iPad into the bathroom, strapped to a bootleg iPad mount that I’ve been iterating on for my dualsense

Edit: drat history comes inside basically already pointed out that a handheld that only does remote play stuff is already possible with your phone or iPad, I posted that before seeing their post. But yeah pairing a controller to an iOS device is simple, you just hold the home and the share button to sync it over Bluetooth.

fridge corn posted:

Pairing a controller is easy when you have 6 dualsenses lol. I've got one that permanently resides in my bedside table as the dedicated remote play controller

Why do u have 6?

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 5, 2023

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1643524964405096449?t=Ilxma5BrM6LUZ6dEOmO3ng&s=19
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1643528910943186945?t=Vi1PXbwqr2seg7tUvNTCcA&s=19

Hold outs remain winning

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

imhotep posted:

It sounds like I’ve already basically made a better version of this supposed PlayStation handheld when I bring my iPad into the bathroom, strapped to a bootleg iPad mount that I’ve been iterating on for my dualsense,

Why do u have 6?

We bought two extras when we initially got the ps5 so we could game together and have a spare controller charged up and then the red one came out and fridgelina wanted that one, and then the other colours came out and fridgelina wanted the pink and blue ones... so now we have 6 lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

They need to do this for FFXIV make a standalone version with less bloat. The music and story seem so good in that but can't be bothered to play a million hours of lovely morpg combat.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hey, gt7 players: do you use the dualsense or a wheel and pedals? last time i tried anything like the wheel and pedals was like 15yr ago and they were...not great. i have to imagine they're better now and probably worth their cost? maybe? if they are good, which brand?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ulio posted:

They need to do this for FFXIV make a standalone version with less bloat. The music and story seem so good in that but can't be bothered to play a million hours of lovely morpg combat.

It wont take that long unless you cant decide on a job and want to level them all lol. You could do it with the free trial and 1 month free of endwalker Duty support is about to be up to stormblood by the next patch, fully done by patch after. Which means all story stuff beside uhhh 99% of the trials and the 1 mandatory alliance raid is playable in sp.

Theyll probably do the same here cos they are setting it up but youll be like 60 by the time it happens

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MechaSeinfeld posted:

yea okay Jim let me go ahead and buy the freakin Playstation Qanon

lol

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The GoW Ragnarok (PS5 thread's most hated game of all time) New Game + update is quite a bit more than I expected:

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/04/05/god-of-war-ragnarok-new-game-plus-is-available-now/

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

hey, gt7 players: do you use the dualsense or a wheel and pedals? last time i tried anything like the wheel and pedals was like 15yr ago and they were...not great. i have to imagine they're better now and probably worth their cost? maybe? if they are good, which brand?

DualSense with motion controls. It works great, way better than I’d imagined.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

This is a massive rabbit hole and some people get really snobby about wheels and pedals but you’re right they’ve come along way. The best wheels are direct drive - Logitech and Fanatec both make DD wheels for PlayStation. The downside is DD is expensive. The Logitech Pro DD for PlayStation is around $1000 without pedals. At the other end there’s gear and belt driven wheels like the Logitech 923 or Thrusmaster 248 that come with pedals and can be had for $400 or so. However like wheels pedals have different types - the cheaper ones measure pedal travel, better pedals use a load cell to measure force (this primarily pertains to the braking pedal). Of course load cell pedals are $$$ comparatively.

I picked up a used Logitech G923 and it’s great fun. I can see myself potentially upgrading or doing a load cell mod on my brake pedal someday.

In reality it’s just about what’s fun and how far you want to take the hobby. There’s lots of videos of really fast drivers on a dual sense or a cheap wheel turning faster laps than mediocre drivers on the highest end gear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aipsh posted:

The GoW Ragnarok (PS5 thread's most hated game of all time) New Game + update is quite a bit more than I expected:

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/04/05/god-of-war-ragnarok-new-game-plus-is-available-now/

Been waiting awhile for this mode. Going to be playing through the game again.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

abelwingnut posted:

Dualsense has been working great for me, high sensitivity on the stick and most assists off is totally playable and the haptics and trigger effects on the controller really elevate the experience.

Modern wheel tech is way better, but unfortunately as the quality increases so does the price. A decent wheel with force feedback is about $300 or so, something with direct drive feedback is about $1k, and given that GT7 is secretly spitting out gobs of race data over your local network that can be read by all kinds of nutso accessories there’s virtually no top end to how much cash you can drop on a GT7 setup.

:getin:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FFXIV combat is good, gently caress the haters

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s just mmo combat with all the good and bad that entails

It doesn’t do anything special

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Arist posted:

It's really the fact that your character can switch jobs on a whim which makes it a cut above others. Don't like how a class plays once you reach a certain level? Choose another one and keep your character and story/quest process. I don't know if I could ever go back to the WoW-style one class per character.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

I don't know if I could ever go back to the WoW-style one class per character.

I prefer it, because I like rolling alts, which is kinda pointless with FFXIV's job system. However it does fit with the game's more story-driven structure, I really wouldn't want to go through all the story bits again on an alt in that game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just watch as the next big thing will be single player remakes of popular MMOs in 5 to 10 years.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The handheld rumors are silly. The Steam Deck and Chiaki are right there~~

Seconding Meet Your Maker as a fun, weird surprise. It has a little bit of E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy to it aesthetically, too, which is nice + v. weird.

Definitely don't sleep on Tchia, either. It's on the upper PS Plus tiers and it is chill and colorful and cool.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Just watch as the next big thing will be single player remakes of popular MMOs in 5 to 10 years.

Ultima offline

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My main complaint about FF14, which does have enjoyable combat with the job system and a good story, is that the actual campaign process doesn’t have you engage with the combat stuff very much. It’s a lot of go talk to so and so x5 and then maybe a quick fight triggers where you fight one guy. Long stretches between quests that ask you to do a dungeon or something (which are all pretty great).

At one point I looked up quest objectives for a series of quests and it was like “Speak with Alphinaud” 15 times in a row!

I mean, nothing against Alphinaud, just maybe let me punch something too!

I’ll still drink play that garbage though.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 5, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

Agreed

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s just mmo combat with all the good and bad that entails

It doesn’t do anything special

I've never played another mmo that had combat like ff14 :colbert:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

It wont take that long unless you cant decide on a job and want to level them all lol. You could do it with the free trial and 1 month free of endwalker Duty support is about to be up to stormblood by the next patch, fully done by patch after. Which means all story stuff beside uhhh 99% of the trials and the 1 mandatory alliance raid is playable in sp.

Theyll probably do the same here cos they are setting it up but youll be like 60 by the time it happens

Sounds tempting, I definitely will try it once, I made an account once but Square Enix id poo poo is so annoying.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I played all the way through FFXIV and it’s fun but it’s also the exact same “press your rotation buttons when they come off cool-down and don’t stand in the highlighted poo poo unless it’s the good kind of highlighted poo poo” mechanics as basically every other MMO :shrug:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I played all the way through FFXIV and it’s fun but it’s also the exact same “press your rotation buttons when they come off cool-down and don’t stand in the highlighted poo poo unless it’s the good kind of highlighted poo poo” mechanics as basically every other MMO :shrug:

Ah, you need to consider it within the context of the story, which is excellent.

I'm not sure exactly what 90% of the story is, as I can only pay attention for so long while criss-crossing the known world every few minutes to hear a sentence or two from an NPC as part of an endless MSQ line, but that's what I've read, anyway.

(I have an active FFXIV subscription because I have MMO brain and I like seeing numbers going up while I play dress-up.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

hey mom its 420 posted:

anyone played citizen sleeper? it’s on PS now and i’ve heard good things about it

I played it on PC and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's very much in the style of Disco Elysium, though the writing, while well done, definitely isn't up to the same standard.

You get a nice, full RPG in a compact package.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I asked this in the laptop thread, but may as well ask here too.

My current laptop has a 3060 inside. Specifically, this laptop from Newegg. Sometimes when I have company I'll hook it up to the living room TV (which is a 4K) to play games.

I'm considering getting a PS5 for the main room instead, but I don't want to buy one if it's about the same performance as using the laptop. I've had a hard time finding good comparisons between the laptop 3060 and a PS5. Does anyone have any advice about comparing the performance between the two and if getting the PS5 is worth it?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

YorexTheMad posted:

I asked this in the laptop thread, but may as well ask here too.

My current laptop has a 3060 inside. Specifically, this laptop from Newegg. Sometimes when I have company I'll hook it up to the living room TV (which is a 4K) to play games.

I'm considering getting a PS5 for the main room instead, but I don't want to buy one if it's about the same performance as using the laptop. I've had a hard time finding good comparisons between the laptop 3060 and a PS5. Does anyone have any advice about comparing the performance between the two and if getting the PS5 is worth it?

GPU megathread is probably the best place for that question, they talk a lot about comparisons between console and PC GPUs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WaltherFeng posted:

I would be all over this tbh not sorry

Still waiting for WoW to hit consoles as has been rumored forever :getin: I need it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

I love the game but the combat is just lol and people act really insane it about like there :actually: depth to it somehow and it turns out theyve never played anything else in their lives cept mmos. You have to turn off spell effects just to see whats going on lol. At least its easy to figure out but lmao. Numbers go higher. Dots go round. Good job the story (post reborn lol) and music are god tier and it has the words Final Fantasy on the box along with Square. Cannot imagine having to put up with it saying blizzard or "warcraft" ugghhh, makes my spine shiver thinking about that poo poo

Good job they hired a capcom dude for 16 :getin:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 5, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

For basic campaign stuff it's certainly not impressive but I really enjoy the raids and trials

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol there's no way that handheld thing is real. Sounds like stupid-af click bait bullshit for nerds who want another vita. How many Dreamcast 2 articles are on that page?

Tried Tails of Iron. 2-D platformer that requires you to use the analog stick to move. Gross.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never turned off spell effects and I never will

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never turned off spell effects and I never will

Same. Too busy staring at my hotbars wondering where and how I hosed my rotation up to notice spell effects anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I like looking at the cool monsters and how they adapt amano into 3d. Just saw ultima beast :getin: