Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

multiple people posted:

:words: about caches
Well, I at least now know where my bad assumption came from: AMD specs page lists the total amount of cache for a given level of the hierarchy, not the cache found on each core (which is what I mean by per-core) - which is confusing to me, because it doesn't matter how much L1 and L2 add up to.

I ended up finding the Raphel PPR, but section "1.8.1. Features" isn't listing the information I was hoping for (and which is present in other PPRs).
The PPR does mention that L1 is divided into an instruction cache and data-cache, which is 32kB each.

As for losing cache coherency when a core is turned off, that's like saying water is wet - because of course the caches are volatile.
It's also why basically all compute-bound loads turn off ACPI C-states (or at least limit them to only use C1(E)).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

which is confusing to me, because it doesn't matter how much L1 and L2 add up to.

First data sheet? ;)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
5800X review embargo lifted

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18795/the-amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-review-a-simpler-slice-of-v-cache-for-gaming

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04/review-amd-ryzen-7800x3d-is-the-cheapest-way-to-get-the-most-out-of-a-1500-gpu/

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Enough 3D cache, bring back 3DNow!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LightRailTycoon posted:

Enough 3D cache, bring back 3DNow!

And while we're at it, bring back 3dfx!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
and here is the chart:

never bet on working thread scheduling

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

*bangs table* feed me 7800x3d reviews

Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31PwSpClk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9_eQ9E20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lp1TGFvKc

And if you feel like slumming it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj4gn7od0jY

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im not a gamer but I don't think these processors are that amazing. Maybe gaming stuff doesn't show it off as well as people hoped.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

redeyes posted:

Im not a gamer but I don't think these processors are that amazing. Maybe gaming stuff doesn't show it off as well as people hoped.

Yes, if you don't do what they are made for it's not surprising they don't seem particularly amazing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

redeyes posted:

It has some niches, in certain games it's leagues ahead but for gaming it's not generally a meaningfully better buy than some other options, at least not at the current pricing. For productivity just get more cores and higher clocks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheFluff posted:

It has some niches, in certain games it's leagues ahead but for gaming it's not generally a meaningfully better buy than some other options, at least not at the current pricing. For productivity just get more cores and higher clocks.
Yeah it seems that if you're building a pure gaming machine, it doesn't win every benchmark but enough of them that it's the "correct" choice.

If you use your computer for other stuff (I suspect most of us do), then the non-X3D parts are fast enough for gaming (which is going to be GPU-bound at 1440/4k anyway) and additional cores/threads help, though it can be argued that for non-professional productivity, all these CPUs are more than fast enough.

Still feeling good about my 7900X bundle from Microcenter. $600 for CPU + B650E mobo + 32GB DDR5-6000 remains a no brainer imo unless you're playing competitive FPS and need to eek out every last FPS.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 5, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The price is very good compared to the alternatives for gaming. I'm strongly considering upgrading to it from 5600X.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also people don't seem to value power efficiency in cpu's a lot these days. doesn't help that gpu's basically need their own psu's at this point

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m just starting to look at the 7800x3d reviews but is the max boost easily overclocked back up to the 7900x3d/7950x3d’s vcache CCD’s 5250MHz max?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m just starting to look at the 7800x3d reviews but is the max boost easily overclocked back up to the 7900x3d/7950x3d’s vcache CCD’s 5250MHz max?

Nope. AMD has capped the 7800X3D to keep the 7950X3D at the top of the charts, lol. Not unexpected, but still funny.

TechPowerUp posted:

The 7800X3D is artificially capped to a maximum frequency of 5050 MHz on each core, probably to protect the higher-end X3D CPUs, which are allowed to boost higher. For example, the 7950X3D will boost up to 5250 MHz easily with light loads on it's 3D VCache chiplet.

PBO does seem to eek out a little more performance in some games, though, likely by keeping the clocks pegged at the 5050Mhz max. TPU has it at 2.3% over their test suite at 1440p.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I’m upgrading from 5800X3D, I don’t have to worry about the “contamination” of AMD drivers that the GN video found when switching from the 7950X3D, right?

I’m ready.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

If I’m upgrading from 5800X3D, I don’t have to worry about the “contamination” of AMD drivers that the GN video found when switching from the 7950X3D, right?

I’m ready.
it sounded like an issue that'd only affect reviewers jumping around the 7-series x3d cpus on a single setup

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it sounded like an issue that'd only affect reviewers jumping around the 7-series x3d cpus on a single setup

Or anyone upgrading from a 7900X3D/7950X3D in the future. Hopefully AMD addresses it. AMD putting it in "known issues" to me implies there will be a fix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

OK, thanks for the confirmation!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kliras posted:

also people don't seem to value power efficiency in cpu's a lot these days. doesn't help that gpu's basically need their own psu's at this point

I built a ryzen 7700 (no x) with a radeon 6800 (not xt), for max efficiency, probably as good as it gets

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

not trivial but there’s options depending on your mobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90UBUq1mLGY

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

redeyes posted:

For someone who doesn't just game but plays the kinds of games that really like cache (grand strategy, MMOs, simulators) they're absolutely that amazing. They look pretty whatever in the games that reviewers like to benchmark but occasionally one will throw in one of the niche games these chips excel at (like that HUB factorio chart) and you get to see what's up.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Sometimes it’s not even just the games themselves, but the introduction of towering mod lists.

I got a shocking boost in extremely modded Skyrim by throwing 3d cache at it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this allusion meant posted:

not trivial but there’s options depending on your mobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90UBUq1mLGY

for clarity, this is using bclk (or eclk)... which isnt really something I would recommend people do, unless you are going for an OC record. i also dont think many boards are gonna support the async eclk modes, but i havent gotten my hands on any AM5 stuff yet.

i may also just be overly shy of bclk overclocking as an old man who spent way WAY too much time messing with unstable overclocks, misbehaving systems, and corrupted windows installs due to bclk shenanigans in my younger years. of COURSE running my Duron at a 103Mhz bclk was worth days of pain and suffering!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think more AM5 motherboards support asynch BCLK and ECLK or whatever the peripheral base clk is called.

Definitely don’t do it if they’re synched.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Cygni posted:

for clarity, this is using bclk (or eclk)... which isnt really something I would recommend people do, unless you are going for an OC record. i also dont think many boards are gonna support the async eclk modes, but i havent gotten my hands on any AM5 stuff yet.

i may also just be overly shy of bclk overclocking as an old man who spent way WAY too much time messing with unstable overclocks, misbehaving systems, and corrupted windows installs due to bclk shenanigans in my younger years. of COURSE running my Duron at a 103Mhz bclk was worth days of pain and suffering!

yeah i likely won’t be doing more than a basic all core curve optimizer negative voltage offset and pbo2 unless there’s a lot more people who look into this stuff and really make it well-trodden ground but it does seem to be doable. not building until late summer so i’ll have time to see what others find

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

I think more AM5 motherboards support asynch BCLK and ECLK or whatever the peripheral base clk is called.

Definitely don’t do it if they’re synched.

At least from what I've been able to find so far for eclk support, ASUS has it on the Crosshairs but thats it. Gigabyte its on the Aorus Master and Tachyon only. For Asrock, only the Taichis. For MSI, the ACE and Godlike do, but I think thats it.

So I think the cheapest board that might be able to do it is the B650E Taichi at $370.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If I remember, fiddling with the base clock (BCLK) also has... shall we say, interesting implications on every daughterboard your system has (even if it's something that's on the actual motherboard, like onboard audio or a LAN NIC), if they're hooked up to the CPUs PCIe lanes.

Well, the kind of interesting you get if you live in interesting times, at least.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 5, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s better than AM4 I think? Wasn’t it only on the GODLIKE and equivalent “kitchen sink” boards?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, based on what reviews are showing, if I'm gaming at 4K, it looks like I should probably just replace my 3600 with a 5800X3D on sale and ride that out for as long as possible, right? Going with a 7800X3D adds the extra costs of replacing the motherboard and RAM and there doesn't seem to be much of an uplift over the 5800X3D at this resolution even with a 4090, and I don't have 4090 kind of money.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

^^ i was gonna say, last minute 5800X3D upgrade stays winning for me^^

kliras posted:

and here is the chart:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Grog posted:

So, based on what reviews are showing, if I'm gaming at 4K, it looks like I should probably just replace my 3600 with a 5800X3D on sale and ride that out for as long as possible, right? Going with a 7800X3D adds the extra costs of replacing the motherboard and RAM and there doesn't seem to be much of an uplift over the 5800X3D at this resolution even with a 4090, and I don't have 4090 kind of money.
That's exactly what I did. It would have cost twice as much to get a 7800X3D and most of the time I'd probably be GPU-bound anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It makes absolute sense if you can grab a cheap 5800X3D for an upgrade on a platform you already have.

I've posted about it over in the PC building thread, but I'm upgrading from a workstation built in 2011 - so there's basically no hardware worth keeping except the GPU, NIC and audio card.
Especially because I'm pretty sure that in addition to the chipset being funky on that system (so funky that it no longer POSTs), a good amount of the BSODs it got were because of the PSU starting to fail.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s better than AM4 I think? Wasn’t it only on the GODLIKE and equivalent “kitchen sink” boards?

eCLK only worked for Zen+ and then was removed for Zen 2/3, iirc. Boards that had the 2nd clock gen (like the Crosshair 7) either grayed the field out in the bios or removed it with a Zen 2/3 cpu. Someone edited the bios in a hex editor to force the eCLK flag to on and it didn't do anything.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Grog posted:

If you're gaming at 4K and don't have a 4090 you can also just let the 3600 rock for a while longer but the 5800X3D is a solid upgrade and would last you quite a while.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

Over on the Intel side, the Sapphire Rapids workstation xeons (W-3400) support up to 4TB of DDR5 LRDIMMs. They're roughly price equivalent to TR Pro.

Oh how I would love to have 4TB of RAM in my ZFS file server.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

If you're gaming at 4K and don't have a 4090 you can also just let the 3600 rock for a while longer but the 5800X3D is a solid upgrade and would last you quite a while.

They do help a fair bit with those 1 and .1% low though. Even the 5800X3D would be a noticeable improvement. Not in all games though.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I've just experienced some stuttering and slightly low performance issues with the 3600 in some more CPU-intensive games (running a 3080 Ti, which cost more than my past three video cards combined), so I figured I might as well look at a final CPU upgrade on this platform to try to alleviate that. Hopefully a 5800X3D will be good for a decent amount of time.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Grog posted:

in any situation where someone is looking at an older, working am4 system and is trying to maximize gaming value for money rather than some specific performance target (incl. power/noise/efficiency targets, which 7800x3d seems to be unmatched at), cpu-only upgrade to 5800x3d wins against any conceivable new platform build that could possibly exist before 2025 or so. it's a well-supported upgrade that totally obviates platform costs, and the current state of game resource use is such that gpu upgrades are going to be where you should put as much money as possible for the foreseeable future. the combination of 6 to 8 cores, zen3 speed and ipc uplift, and 3d vcache provides enough additional resources to deal with any particular shortcoming that the 3600 might have in current or near future titles. 5700x could also be a value challenger here depending on specific game titles and specific sale discounts but 5800x3d has the interesting advantage of also being basically insensitive to dram performance, if you didn't bother to get a performance kit with your zen2 system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I basically tried to get a good price/performance value upgrade when the Zen 2 CPUs were released so I have 3200 CL14, but I also got one of MSI's initial "entry-level" X570 boards with the VRM setup that runs hot and can throttle with the 12- and 16-core CPUs. Other people seem to have gotten the 5800X3D running fine on theirs, so fingers crossed, knock on wood, salt over the shoulder, etc.