Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

who wants to live forever sober

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Somehow don't think the the advice "you should severely limit or not drink at all' is going to be as followed very closely by the vast majortiy of people who currently drink.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I certainly won't but it's still good information to have and perhaps might lead to people keeping track of their health in regards to alcohol-related issues more closely. Like asking your doctor to screen for liver disease or something IDK.

For example, I tend to get bloodwork done every other year and screen for a few different things that may be issues for me due to family history, past issues, etc. but I've never been a heavy drinker so I didn't take it into consideration.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 5, 2023

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I sort of expected this. Just a few years ago there was some research that got headlines showing just how heavily linked colorectal cancers were to alcohol consumption, and that was the first time I remember seeing people really start to challenge the "red wine is good for you actually" myth. Heart disease is another one - it never made sense how red wine could be "heart healthy" but also alcohol in general is seen as being overall terrible for the heart and heavily linked to cardiovascular disease.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
A lot of the "glass of red wine a day is good for your health :)" type studies received funding from the booze industry, as the article mentions. A lot of people seem to think that funding sources don't influence our beautiful and objective scientists, but it's just not true on the whole.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’ll still keep drinking that garbage.
:same:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Mellow Seas posted:

Impossible whoppers don’t come with cheese by default, and they do come with mayo, so they’re not even vegan, and still you have to ask for cheese. I guess the all powerful cheese lobby’s influence doesn’t spread to them for some reason.

On that topic when I do go to burger king I default ask for no mayo because that makes the sandwich’s calories drop a heck of a lot. I think the impossible whopper with just the veggies and ketchup is 450 or so calories which isn’t too bad. With its above 700. Fries are still salty as poo poo and a medium fry is almost the same calories as the burger sans mayo.

My lunch isn’t for another 2 hours and I’m hungry now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third major study in the last year that analyzed 40 years of data and determined that any amount of alcohol is harmful to your health.

There are also not health benefits to drinking a moderate amount of red wine or beer, contrary to many popular assumptions.

Additionally, their findings were similar to others conducted by the WHO and the World Heart Federation that determined that even consuming 2 drinks per week has negative health impacts.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643538978014986240

I just don’t get drinking to be honest. I know some people who love it and can’t go out on the night without it but with all the bullshit I’ve seen over the years physically (like with these studies) and emotionally I just don’t think I’ll ever get it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Spiffster posted:

I just don’t get drinking to be honest. I know some people who love it and can’t go out on the night without it but with all the bullshit I’ve seen over the years physically (like with these studies) and emotionally I just don’t think I’ll ever get it.
Yeah you shouldn't start. It's a surprisingly nasty drug.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Twincityhacker posted:

Somehow don't think the the advice "you should severely limit or not drink at all' is going to be as followed very closely by the vast majortiy of people who currently drink.

At the same time, "a glass of red wine is healthy for you" has been an frequently repeated line. You aren't going to get people to stop drinking with this, but at least you can make them understand that it isn't *healthy*.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The "red wine is good for you, actually" came out of the Mediterranean Diet fad of the 1990s, where it was alleged that eating like people in Crete and southern Italy (olive oil, veggies, yogurt, fish, red wine) kept you thin and helped you live longer. Like most sensational diet findings, it turned out that the benefits were way overstated. Also, people ignored 95% of the diet advice (like avoiding red meat and eating only whole grains) because they chose to interpret it as "drinking lots of red wine is healthy".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think people should do, within reason, whatever makes them happy instead of trying to min-max their health constantly. I feel like there's an increasingly obsessive focus on "wellness" and at some point it just creates spiraling anxiety and things like orthorexia.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spiffster posted:

On that topic when I do go to burger king I default ask for no mayo because that makes the sandwich’s calories drop a heck of a lot. I think the impossible whopper with just the veggies and ketchup is 450 or so calories which isn’t too bad. With its above 700. Fries are still salty as poo poo and a medium fry is almost the same calories as the burger sans mayo.

After reading the internet all day at work about how everything sucks and the world is going to end and people are dying and everyone hates everyone, having a nice cold beer with some buddies can really take the edge off.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cut out everything delicious and fun in your life and you too can live long enough to watch New York sink into the boiling Atlantic. :)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

PT6A posted:

I think people should do, within reason, whatever makes them happy instead of trying to min-max their health constantly. I feel like there's an increasingly obsessive focus on "wellness" and at some point it just creates spiraling anxiety and things like orthorexia.

In the US we do legit have an issue with people binge drinking, and I think removing misinformation that can be used to rationalize it is overall a good thing (similar to smoking). I don't think we need to shame people out of drinking entirely, but being aware of the risk in order to better moderate isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And to expand on my earlier comment, I think there's too often a moral component associated with (some but not all) choices that people make in order to enjoy themselves, when those choices carry risk. Eating unhealthy food, drinking, smoking, drug use, participating in dangerous hobbies, and so on -- the fact that they are risky is not a reason to judge people who choose to take those risks. I think it's bad to try and cover up those risks, so I don't oppose the research that tells us what the risks are, but I don't think the statement "no amount of alcohol consumption is safe" is a reason to say "therefore, people who choose to consume alcohol are making a morally incorrect or otherwise unjustifiable choice."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well the report isn't demanding total prohibition or anything, it's just confirming that alcohol is not in fact ever good for you and is always bad and you're always better off not drinking it. If pointing that out bothers someone that's for them to sort out. The arguments in favor of aren't alien to me, I know drinking and being drunk rules which is why I had to stop, but at least I never told myself I was doing something healthy and it's nice to have confirmation that such an obvious lie can be put to bed.

THC ain't as good but it's got staying power and is cheaper

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
as long as they don't tell me chugging these bottles of cough syrups ain't healthy, we're gold

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think anyone who was telling themselves that drinking was healthy and/or free of risk, was deluding themselves and should've known better. It's like when I talked to my mom, a former smoker, about smoking cigarettes.

"The studies weren't out, but obviously we all knew it was unhealthy. Things that are good for you don't make you cough up brown poo poo in the morning."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
On the other hand, my grandma used to say that in even years, studies said coffee was good for you and in odd years, the studies said it was bad for you

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PT6A posted:

I think anyone who was telling themselves that drinking was healthy and/or free of risk, was deluding themselves and should've known better. It's like when I talked to my mom, a former smoker, about smoking cigarettes.

"The studies weren't out, but obviously we all knew it was unhealthy. Things that are good for you don't make you cough up brown poo poo in the morning."

At the same time, minor alcohol consumption doesn't have that effect. You have a glass of wine or a beer, you metabolize it, you go on with your day. If you aren't an ultra lightweight then you don't have any noticeable negative effects, and it makes you feel good. I think most people understand that anything that messes with your brain like that is bad for you, but at the same time the same thing could arguably be said about caffeine.

It becomes more or an issue when you start with "it's healthy to have a little, so having more just means that it's back to being neutral. And if one glass of wine is good then you'd have to have three to make it completely cancel out, so it's not really bad until you have fou-no, let's say five".

It's all willing disbelief but at least cutting some of the teeth out of it with studies like the above can help people at least limit their consumption by undercutting the justification.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
See I know that visiting my fourth brewery for another flight isn't healthy for me. The biking to my fourth brewery for another flight is though.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Spiffster posted:

It makes you feel good and uninhibited temporarily, also it’s addictive. That’s usually what gets people to drink despite the damage it causes to your body.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Drinking isn't good for you, but neither are most foods, everything you interact with and a vast number of things you do every day.

If everyone is expected to be healthy then have it governmentally allowed and punish everyone putting microplastics in everything. Individual action is good but, in the long term, functionally meaningless.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Madkal posted:

The biking to my fourth brewery for another flight is though.
No pain, no gain.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://katv.com/news/local/gov-san...ney-information

The Mucinex snot from Arkansas wants the federal government to cover 100% on tornado cleanup.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

As an Asian, I'm glad you're all realizing that dairy and alcohol are terrible and have bad effects :colbert:

(one of the effects I hope spreading this knowledge has is making it so that people who don't drink because it's just kinda physically unpleasant aren't peer pressured into drinking)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

As an Asian, I'm glad you're all realizing that dairy and alcohol are terrible and have bad effects :colbert:

(one of the effects I hope spreading this knowledge has is making it so that people who don't drink because it's just kinda physically unpleasant aren't peer pressured into drinking)
The Asian alcohol face flush hasn't stopped anybody I know from getting plastered.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PT6A posted:

I think people should do, within reason, whatever makes them happy instead of trying to min-max their health constantly.
As my lovely avatar suggests I am in full agreement.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
RE: Drinking chat

I worked in wine sales for a decade and one of the first things that was drilled into me was when a customer says things like "Where is the wine that's good for you" or "My doctor told me to drink red wine, what kind should I drink", the immediate response needs to be "I am not a doctor and don't ask people selling you wine for medical advice".

Beyond that, the reality is that no, that person's doctor did not tell them to drink red wine. What their doctor probably told them was that if they have a healthy liver, an active lifestyle, aren't trying to lose weight, aren't at risk for diabetes, and were going to be drinking anyway, then not drinking to excess and only sticking with red wine is probably better for you than beer or hard liquor. That's a far cry from "drinking is good for you, actually".

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im drinking milk and alcohol right now, take that health nuts!

i regret mixing them, but i think ive proved my point

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Byzantine posted:

Cut out everything delicious and fun in your life and you too can live long enough to watch New York sink into the boiling Atlantic. :)

Is that a promise?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The study points out that teetotalers don't actually live longer, though that may be because of conflating factors (sick people don't drink, for example). The study also uses a definition of "moderate" consumption that I think is rather a lot. It's also impossible to say via meta analysis if moderate drinking may provide benefit via stress reduction.

Personal anecdote, I can see in my fitness tracker data whether or not I had a single drink in my heart rate response and my sleep data. My resting hr without alcohol is 6-8 bpm lower than if I have a single drink.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfgycAOT0KI

Milk is great, thank you very much. And cheese, oh my!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

shoeberto posted:

In the US we do legit have an issue with people binge drinking, and I think removing misinformation that can be used to rationalize it is overall a good thing (similar to smoking). I don't think we need to shame people out of drinking entirely, but being aware of the risk in order to better moderate isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

I think this is a good point (although, how much it actually impacts peoples' drinking habits vs. was just used as a justification to do what they wanted isn't clear) and the social normalization of it allows for "normal" consumption to be way higher than it would for other less socially acceptable drugs.

All the "mommy juice" and a "bottle of wine with dinner every night after work" stuff definitely contributes to excess drinking in a way that pot doesn't.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After I turned 30 my body began telling with blinding clarity that drinking is bad for you. If I overdo it, it’ll tell me for two whole days.

Hell even if I have one whiskey at 7 I feel a little bit lovely by 10.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josef bugman posted:

Drinking isn't good for you, but neither are most foods, everything you interact with and a vast number of things you do every day.

If everyone is expected to be healthy then have it governmentally allowed and punish everyone putting microplastics in everything. Individual action is good but, in the long term, functionally meaningless.

The difference is (according to this study and the WHO) is that alcohol isn't good for you at any amount. Unhealthy food is unhealthy because it is way to calorie dense or high in sugar/saturated fats. But, you do need some saturated fats. You can eat a Twinkie every day and still have a perfect diet if you balance your other food out.

Promoting the idea that alcohol (red wine especially) was healthy was just not true and some people were making their dieting decisions around that. If people started saying that Twinkies are good for you because they have calcium, then it would be a similar situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zotix posted:

https://katv.com/news/local/gov-san...ney-information

The Mucinex snot from Arkansas wants the federal government to cover 100% on tornado cleanup.

Please try to give more context in your description or at least post a copy of the text of the article. Ideally, people should know what you're talking about without clicking a link.

The article is about Governor Huckabee asking the federal government to cover 100% of the costs of disaster repair for the recent tornados instead of 75%.

Your link doesn't really surprise me, though. Everyone is against wasteful government bailouts until they need it. Then, it is obviously justified and necessary in their case.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 5, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Spiffster posted:

same boat here, except i don't have a choice because i'm allergic to alcohol. thankfully it's the "can get blackout drunk from a single pabst blue ribbon" kind instead of the "booze kills me outright" kind, but still.

i've seen alcohol ruin too many lives and gently caress up too many nice evenings to envy normal folks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlannaVagianos/status/1643658074354327552?s=20

Does North Carolina have a recall system for representatives?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cat botherer posted:

A lot of the "glass of red wine a day is good for your health :)" type studies received funding from the booze industry, as the article mentions. A lot of people seem to think that funding sources don't influence our beautiful and objective scientists, but it's just not true on the whole.

:same:

Also iirc, those studies dont control for economic status. Turns out that people who can afford to drink wine with every dinner tend to experience less stress in their lives and can afford to eat healthier food and work out more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kith posted:

same boat here, except i don't have a choice because i'm allergic to alcohol. thankfully it's the "can get blackout drunk from a single pabst blue ribbon" kind instead of the "booze kills me outright" kind, but still.

i've seen alcohol ruin too many lives and gently caress up too many nice evenings to envy normal folks.

At my age I prefer the mildly euphoric feeling from getting a buzz to getting extremely drunk.

However, many people are medicating various issues, most often untreated depression.

For most you should probably be vaping weed it's much healthier but it's a no-go if you've got anxiety.