Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Really, Merry? That cost me 64,000 bells.

Worth it.

bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Is anyone laying on a mountain of bells giving away any? Just starting out and I need to build so many bridges and stairs. 1mill bells to start out would help immensely

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

LazyDivey posted:

Is anyone laying on a mountain of bells giving away any? Just starting out and I need to build so many bridges and stairs. 1mill bells to start out would help immensely

I have almost 80 mil that I’m not spending. Do you have a NSO membership?

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Yeah my FC is SW-5048-9841-2025 if that's what you need and thanks

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I'm thinking of using nookazon to trade for a rock-head statue since it's so rare. Anything I need to know? Any chance of, I dunno, getting a hacked item that corrupts my game or something?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Sorry to be cheeky, but I could also take some bells, if you don't mind sharing

My daughter started playing a couple of months ago, and I've been roped in as a resident of her island and could really use a load of cash to accelerate her big plans!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It took 3 years, but I finally got the cherry blossom viewing lantern recipe yesterday. it was the last one I needed. Just before Bunny Day stuff arrived too.

Feels good, man.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Just booted up the game for the first time in months and drat it's satisfying seeing how lush my island looks after all the work I put in over the winter.

Just fields and fields of flowers and glow mushrooms surrounded by beautiful pink trees. It feels really dense too because I terraformed all the rivers to be more creek like so I didn't have to build more than a couple bridges or use the pole vault to get anywhere. My cliffs also have lots of vines since I haven't built a single ramp.

Also I have about 30 gyroids set up in little bands near interesting landmarks that kind of infer a history of the island. On one coast in a rocky area is a Mayan pyramid with a tape deck hidden behind it. The other has a big lighthouse and on the highest hill nearby there's a baobab tree with a gazebo near it. I also put a bunch of glow mushrooms behind Cephalobot's house. A full quarter of the map is dedicated to a forest with the campsite surrounded by mature weeds and my pier off in the southeast corner. Sorry, kind of rambling but it's really satisfying to just walk around.

Gwely Mernans fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 3, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Update on wasp gaol:

Have they been released on bail yet?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Gwely Mernans posted:

Just booted up the game for the first time in months and drat it's satisfying seeing how lush my island looks after all the work I put in over the winter.

Just fields and fields of flowers and glow mushrooms surrounded by beautiful pink trees. It feels really dense too because I terraformed all the rivers to be more creek like so I didn't have to build more than a couple bridges or use the pole vault to get anywhere. My cliffs also have lots of vines since I haven't built a single ramp.

Also I have about 30 gyroids set up in little bands near interesting landmarks that kind of infer a history of the island. On one coast in a rocky area is a Mayan pyramid with a tape deck hidden behind it. The other has a big lighthouse and on the highest hill nearby there's a baobab tree with a gazebo near it. I also put a bunch of glow mushrooms behind Cephalobot's house. A full quarter of the map is dedicated to a forest with the campsite surrounded by mature weeds and my pier off in the southeast corner. Sorry, kind of rambling but it's really satisfying to just walk around.

Dang I need a better vision for my island. I've been haphazardly slapping down castle walls and medieval building sides trying for some kinda walled city thing. No other real plans, but I suspect I'll have to move some villager houses. Also don't ask about my flowers.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Good morning, animal crossers.
I have a ton of turnips to unload and I’m looking at half value on my island. Anyone have a good sale price and accepting visitors?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've got 171 for the next 45 minutes if that's a good return 20R5R

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 5, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

The Door Frame posted:

I've got 171 for the next 45 minutes if that's a good return 20R5R

aww dang, i missed it. I bought at 99 so that would have been good. Stupid job getting in the way...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

otter posted:

aww dang, i missed it. I bought at 99 so that would have been good. Stupid job getting in the way...

It happens. On both my islands they're down to 117 and 105 for the evening, but you still have a little while to get a sale in

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Is this game worth a cop for full price on the E-store? I’ve tried Stardew valley on my crApple computer and found it to be pixel junk, but i can’t say I’m not intrigued by the concept of building a lackadaisical world free of the austerity and harshness we so often associate with current leadership/society.

Just wondering will I be able to build a little farm with my friends? And do I have to play the game every day or my farm dies or what’s the situation there? And what is the interaction like online if anything. Can I go to IRL friends farms if they have it and say hello?

Thanks for the opinions, and keep your ten toes down

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

You can plant produce, and it will never die. Watering it every day just gets you bigger yields. Fruit trees are very profitable and require no maintenance, but "exotic" fruit pretty much requires you to get your starter crop from another player. The only "penalties" for not playing for a while, besides possibly missing out on seasonal events and such, is that villagers (very slowly) lose friendship points (this does not matter at all), and weeds will grow (which can be slowed down considerably with an Ordinance, though that isn't available until a few home loans in). Eventually you unlock the ability to pay a sloth a truckload of cash to eat all the weeds on your island in a day.

Online multiplayer requires a Nintendo Online subscription, but local multiplayer may be an option without it.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Thank you for the info OP. I am definitely interested in copping

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I wish there was an option for island expansion or even a new game plus with an island 2-4x the size even if it had some kind of added challenge like weather that would cause issues.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

nom epique posted:

Is this game worth a cop for full price on the E-store? I’ve tried Stardew valley on my crApple computer and found it to be pixel junk, but i can’t say I’m not intrigued by the concept of building a lackadaisical world free of the austerity and harshness we so often associate with current leadership/society.

Just wondering will I be able to build a little farm with my friends? And do I have to play the game every day or my farm dies or what’s the situation there? And what is the interaction like online if anything. Can I go to IRL friends farms if they have it and say hello?

Thanks for the opinions, and keep your ten toes down

My 1300+ hours in the game says yes. The DLC is also worth it if you like decorating.

As far as farming goes, crops require no maintenance beyond watering 2 days in a row to get a full yield. If it's raining you don't need to water them. Trees will replenish on their own. Flowers are really where people spend the most time on their gardens. Flowers aren't really worth any money to sell unless you have the rarest flowers. Blue roses require special crossbreeding and there are whole guides dedicated to how to get them. Of course, even blue roses will spread naturally once you have one of them. I have dozens and would be happy to give some to anyone who needs them. Gold roses require the gold watering can, but I have a fair few of those too. Blue and gold roses can be a goldmine if you have crafting recipes for them. Crafted items sell for more than the base materials, so it's good to collect lots of recipes. Same goes for cooked foods.

A lot of the game is spending time fishing, catching bugs and swimming in the sea to get critters to fill out your museum. You can also dig for fossils every day and buy art from Redd for the museum as well. You can't trade bugs or fish, so you just gotta catch 'em all yourself. You can go to a couple of unique islands every day to get materials you might not have on your own island. There's balloons to shoot down that will have recipes, materials, money, or furniture in them. You can get free furniture every day by shaking your trees.

You can play online with your friends and even leave custom designs in their clothing shop. You can also go to the cafe together and have a coffee. You both have to be online at the same time unless they have a dream code to just visit their island by yourself. You can also send postcards and items to your friends.

For me, this was my first Animal Crossing game and I adore it. It's very chill and meant for playing a little every day. Check out what's in the shops, see who's visiting, work on your garden, design and build your little island and decorate your house. If you don't play for a while, you'll come back to bugs in your house and your flowers will have spread everywhere. Flowers can go crazy if not contained. If you have other people who use your switch, they can play too and have their own house on your island. Only the main player can make major changes to the island though. At some point you unlock terraforming where you can change your rivers and cliffs to however you want them.

I say the game is very worth it and you're bound to find something you enjoy doing.

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I'm thinking of using nookazon to trade for a rock-head statue since it's so rare. Anything I need to know? Any chance of, I dunno, getting a hacked item that corrupts my game or something?

Probably too late to be useful, but I've never heard of anything like that happening. The main risks are getting scammed or just not finding anyone willing to trade because you don't have any reviews yet. Generally people respond to trade requests within an hour or two, so if someone doesn't respond for ages they're probably softly rejecting the offer.

Just keep in mind that some of the people you're trading with are probably literal children and don't take anything too seriously or offer anything you'd hate to lose for nothing.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Nessa posted:

My 1300+ hours in the game says yes. The DLC is also worth it if you like decorating.

As far as farming goes, crops require no maintenance beyond watering 2 days in a row to get a full yield. If it's raining you don't need to water them. Trees will replenish on their own. Flowers are really where people spend the most time on their gardens. Flowers aren't really worth any money to sell unless you have the rarest flowers. Blue roses require special crossbreeding and there are whole guides dedicated to how to get them. Of course, even blue roses will spread naturally once you have one of them. I have dozens and would be happy to give some to anyone who needs them. Gold roses require the gold watering can, but I have a fair few of those too. Blue and gold roses can be a goldmine if you have crafting recipes for them. Crafted items sell for more than the base materials, so it's good to collect lots of recipes. Same goes for cooked foods.

A lot of the game is spending time fishing, catching bugs and swimming in the sea to get critters to fill out your museum. You can also dig for fossils every day and buy art from Redd for the museum as well. You can't trade bugs or fish, so you just gotta catch 'em all yourself. You can go to a couple of unique islands every day to get materials you might not have on your own island. There's balloons to shoot down that will have recipes, materials, money, or furniture in them. You can get free furniture every day by shaking your trees.

You can play online with your friends and even leave custom designs in their clothing shop. You can also go to the cafe together and have a coffee. You both have to be online at the same time unless they have a dream code to just visit their island by yourself. You can also send postcards and items to your friends.

For me, this was my first Animal Crossing game and I adore it. It's very chill and meant for playing a little every day. Check out what's in the shops, see who's visiting, work on your garden, design and build your little island and decorate your house. If you don't play for a while, you'll come back to bugs in your house and your flowers will have spread everywhere. Flowers can go crazy if not contained. If you have other people who use your switch, they can play too and have their own house on your island. Only the main player can make major changes to the island though. At some point you unlock terraforming where you can change your rivers and cliffs to however you want them.

I say the game is very worth it and you're bound to find something you enjoy doing.

Very nice summary OP. Have you ever played stardew valley and if so how would you go about comparing the two?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I mean the time-gated nature of AC is a pretty big deal compared to most farming simulators.

If you like making numbers go up, there's only so many ways to make money in AC, and all the big money-sinks are one-time only, unless you're tearing down and rebuilding bridges/inclines a lot. Most of the content after that comes from building up collections, like in the museum, or just customizing your island by sculpting rivers/cliffs, building roads, moving houses around, decorating your house, dressing up, and just generally building up your digital sandcastle, without much in the way of quantifiable rewards.

It's less like building and expanding a business venture in Stardew, and more like building a castle in Minecraft, but with digital friends and seasonal events, and lots and lots of hand-designed furniture. If you don't mind living in a modestly-sized house, you barely need any grinding at all to see most of what there is to see in Animal Crossing.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I mean the time-gated nature of AC is a pretty big deal compared to most farming simulators.

If you like making numbers go up, there's only so many ways to make money in AC, and all the big money-sinks are one-time only, unless you're tearing down and rebuilding bridges/inclines a lot. Most of the content after that comes from building up collections, like in the museum, or just customizing your island by sculpting rivers/cliffs, building roads, moving houses around, decorating your house, dressing up, and just generally building up your digital sandcastle, without much in the way of quantifiable rewards.

It's less like building and expanding a business venture in Stardew, and more like building a castle in Minecraft, but with digital friends and seasonal events, and lots and lots of hand-designed furniture. If you don't mind living in a modestly-sized house, you barely need any grinding at all to see most of what there is to see in Animal Crossing.

That sounds beautiful. I’m really thinking to cop at this point. Only question is physical (cheaper) or digital

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first weekend after launch I had high turnip prices and left my gates open all day for goons and I never had to worry about Bells ever again. Which was great for me since it wasn't my first AC rodeo and my tree shaking for fruit to sell days are over. Still had plenty to do but I loved decorating and landscaping a ton.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It’s also one of the best games for listening to podcasts or audiobooks.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

nom epique posted:

That sounds beautiful. I’m really thinking to cop at this point. Only question is physical (cheaper) or digital

It's a first party Nintendo game, so it'll never have a big sale in either case. You could probably pick up an older entry in the series if you're not interested in multiplayer. I'd say the game's intended structure works better as a digital purchase, no need to swap carts when the mood to play strikes you.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

mayday mayday posted:

Probably too late to be useful, but I've never heard of anything like that happening. The main risks are getting scammed or just not finding anyone willing to trade because you don't have any reviews yet. Generally people respond to trade requests within an hour or two, so if someone doesn't respond for ages they're probably softly rejecting the offer.

Just keep in mind that some of the people you're trading with are probably literal children and don't take anything too seriously or offer anything you'd hate to lose for nothing.

Thanks! Haven't done it yet, all the entries are prices at 10 mil bells. I figure most players know how rare it is and many entries are players who are editing their save or something. I can't imagine getting it twice at this point.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I figured most players pushing 8 or 9 digits wouldn't care about money anymore. Like, I have ~15 million bells left since my last turnip trade, what the gently caress am I going to do with even more millions of bells? I used to give a lot of my money away because I couldn't do anything useful with my fortune

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006
It looks like the average price is 1 mil, so you could always just set an alert for it and hope something cheaper comes up? People do offer expensive stuff for free from time to time, if you can jump on it quick enough. (I am also relatively bell broke so I sympathize).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

nom epique posted:

Very nice summary OP. Have you ever played stardew valley and if so how would you go about comparing the two?

I have played Stardew! I went pretty hard on it when it was still new. I made it just short of two years before I got burned out. Stardew is definitely more along the lines of Harvest Moon. Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons follows the whole "You've inherited an old farm in a little village and get to make friends with villagers, get farm animals, get married and something something with the forest spirits." Rune Factory is that but with combat. I liked that in Harvest Moon I could set up the villagers with each other, which I wished you could do in Stardew.

Animal Crossing New Horizons is more "Hey, give some money to this raccoon to live on a deserted island. You end up in charge of the place, but you still have to pay your mortgage and manage the town. You want your island to look pretty so a rock star will come and have a concert there." There's really no story. The only real goal is to make your island nice and have fun. Animal Crossing is also on a real-time clock. Buildings and stuff take days to be completed, so you just keep playing every day and it's a slow, but satisfying burn. Bugs and fish will also only be available at certain times and certain months. Unless you change your clock and time travel, which I don't do. I am still trying to get certain recipes 3 years into playing.

If you play the DLC, it's just about becoming an interior decorator and designing vacation homes for various villagers. You get to design a restaurant, a cafe, a shop, and a hospital along the way. Again, the end goal is to get a DJ to come play a concert. The DJ K.K. concert is actually pretty rad and I sometimes just have it on the tv for background music. You also get access to new recipes, like pillars and walls and counters, plus the ability to decorate your own villagers houses.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Well folks I am convinced. I am downloading it as we speak. Looks to be a monster of a download no less.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I've fallen back into a habit I thought I had kicked, which is obsessively trying to collect all the clothes.

But it's soooo satisfying to go through my 'closet' to dress my character and have basically infinity options in rainbow colors

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So question:

How do dream codes work? Is it like a snapshot of your island? Do they expire? Do I have to be playing for someone to use one?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

HaB posted:

So question:

How do dream codes work? Is it like a snapshot of your island? Do they expire? Do I have to be playing for someone to use one?

Yeah, it's a snapshot, it's basically a save people can look at. It doesn't expire, but it won't change unless you sleep and talk to Luna and update it. And no, you don't have to do anything, other people can view it whenever they want.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, it's a snapshot, it's basically a save people can look at. It doesn't expire, but it won't change unless you sleep and talk to Luna and update it. And no, you don't have to do anything, other people can view it whenever they want.

Cool cool cool.

Thanks.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it basically a way for people to explore your island without the rigamarole of the flying into/out of the airport. you can't be with them tho, it's basically like they're exploring it in their own game by themselves - you know 'in their dreams'

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

My Island’s open for an hour or so. I’m going to be running around shooting balloons to collect the few Bunny Day recipes I don’t have yet. There’s extra recipes on the little patio by the Brachiosaurus. Pick all the fruit and vegetables you want. In exchange, I’ll always accept seasonal recipes, crafting supplies, and fish bait.

Turnips are 92 bells
Hot items are the Glowing Moss Jar and Gear Apparatus
Kicks is here!

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2023

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Rahonavis posted:

My Island’s open for an hour or so. Dodo Code 211MG. I’m going to be running around shooting balloons to collect the few Bunny Day recipes I don’t have yet. There’s extra recipes on the little patio by the Brachiosaurus. Pick all the fruit and vegetables you want. In exchange, I’ll always accept seasonal recipes, crafting supplies, and fish bait.

Turnips are 92 bells
Hot items are the Glowing Moss Jar and Gear Apparatus
Kicks is here!

How do I visit your island OP? I just copped the game yesterday. Where do I put the code? I shan’;t be home for a little while. Hoping the island will be open. Cheers!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

nom epique posted:

How do I visit your island OP? I just copped the game yesterday. Where do I put the code? I shan’;t be home for a little while. Hoping the island will be open. Cheers!

Go into the airport and talk to the dodo at the counter, he'll walk you through how it all works. If you get stuck at any point while playing this game there's going to be a cute animal somewhere you can ask for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

nom epique posted:

To visit other people's islands, you have to go to the airport and tell the dodo you want to fly and visit friends online via dodo code. Then you tell him the code and you're good to go.