Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Tagichatn posted:

lol vets are mad

Oh no, not Darktide's precious pristine review score

E: what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

skaianDestiny posted:

It is, it's just not ridiculous now.

Yeah, after getting cornered by an entire horde and then getting the achievement for kills in x time by cutting my way back to my friend who assumed I was hosed using the power sword, yeah, it might have been a little silly

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

It feels like the power sword is perfectly useable still?

Yeah, I feel like they might have sped up the charging animation too. You can charge, swing, charge , swing really drat fast.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I want to try the improved thunderhammer, but RNG has made it so I have 30+ blue hammers with high modifier values but T1 blessings and awful perks and I can't seem to find any of the "good" blessings to have on one to make it viable.

Any thunderhammer enjoyers out there?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
On the other hand someone reported getting stuck in the power sword charge animation when he got hit during it and it...froze him in that animation. He could walk around but couldnt do anything else til he died. It sounds absurd if it happened

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I want to try the improved thunderhammer, but RNG has made it so I have 30+ blue hammers with high modifier values but T1 blessings and awful perks and I can't seem to find any of the "good" blessings to have on one to make it viable.

Any thunderhammer enjoyers out there?

Hi! You want Thrust or Headtaker, preferably both for MAXIMUM BONK. imo Headtaker with Momentum is a better defensive set up and lets you manage hordes better while giving you breakpoints to kill poxwalkers and every shooter/melee dude with light bonks and the right perks.

Probably best perks are Carapace and Flak, though I think it's dependent on whether you have Thrust or Headtaker, or both. With Thrust you can oneshot crushers/mutants without your ult, with Headtaker you need your ult without the perk. With Perk you might not need to ult. If you want max hilarity vs monsters get Unyielding obvs.

Some random notes:

-when charging an enemy with your ult any enemy you bump or knock back on the way counts as a "hit" for the purpose of activating Headtaker. This means you can go from zero stacks to max stacks when charging or just maintain the stacks you have.

-you can activate the special attack during a charge without breaking it.

-depending on how far you're charging with Thrust you may need to start charging your heavy attack when you're almost to your target instead of right away.

-with the recovery buff charged light bonks let you solo bulwarks. Charge > light bonk to knock away shield > charge > light bonk etc. Just mash the special attack during the backswing swing recovery, you can do things much earlier now while the animation is still playing.

-any elite/special that isn't a Crusher or Mutant or Mauler should honestly just get light bonks, especially if they're in a horde of some kind. If they're alone feel free to heavy attacks, make sure to aim up by about head as it's much harder to do headshots with the heavy attacks.

-when managing hordes use heavy attacks, if you don't have Thrust you don't need to full charge heavy attacks so just charge it long enough to convert from light to heavy attacks. Aim at head level if you can, anecdotally it feels less likely to hit the cleave cap doing this. You'll always kill the first target you hit and do good damage to everything else while also knocking them over, make sure to check behind occasionally.

-swing your camera when using heavy attacks on hordes, helps you hit more and knock them over even if you don't kill.

- bonk bonk BONK bonk bonk BONK BONK get bonking

- I have no opinion on the new thunder hammer mk, initial impression was poor but haven't used it after the buffs. Will give it a try eventually

-feel free to ask about anything I haven't mentioned

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 5, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
As a recent hammer convert that post was super helpful, thanks :)

Evil Kit posted:

-when charging an enemy with your ult any enemy you bump or knock back on the way counts as a "hit" for the purpose of activating Headtaker. This means you can go from zero stacks to max stacks when charging or just maintain the stacks you have.
What the hell, I've been using heavy swords for ages and have never noticed this but you're right; it even works on the Rising Conviction feat.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Exodee posted:

As a recent hammer convert that post was super helpful, thanks :)

What the hell, I've been using heavy swords for ages and have never noticed this but you're right; it even works on the Rising Conviction feat.

You're welcome! TH is officially my fave zealot weapon and imo The Best zealot weapon for all situations with the right blessings combo. More zealots need to get on the bonk train.

I honestly only noticed it the other week when testing out the previous patch hammer buffs. It's p nuts and makes a huge difference, but we would have never known till buff icons were added.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Evil Kit posted:

You're welcome! TH is officially my fave zealot weapon and imo The Best zealot weapon for all situations with the right blessings combo. More zealots need to get on the bonk train.
I think the heavy sword still has it beat for horde clear thanks to its crazy cleave properties; mine one shots the first pox walker on a light headshot while still dealing 110 damage on the 11th(!) target, it's insane how well it cleaves. But the hammer definitely feels like a better generalist with also a hella strong niche to boot. Plus it's so much more satisfying to use. :)

Come to think of it, with those two zealot weapons having been buffed a ton I feel like the eviscerator has been left in the dust a bit? It has like one good attack in its heavy swing but then everything else seems rather mediocre, but maybe I'm missing something. Even the push attack which I remember being decent only damages up to three targets, which is not great.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
+1 on the thunder hammer love. I enjoyed it even prior to its series of steady buffs, so the additional love it's gotten only gives me MORE POWER!!! It has some excellent versatility once you get used to its quirks, and the satisfaction of braining a charging mutie is second to none.

I'll occasionally pull out the Mk. IX heavy sword or eviscerator for a change of pace, but find myself missing the bonk lyfe before too long.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

On the other hand someone reported getting stuck in the power sword charge animation when he got hit during it and it...froze him in that animation. He could walk around but couldnt do anything else til he died. It sounds absurd if it happened

I've had this happen with the flame thrower while using the right click flame attack. The funny part was that I could still hold down the mouse to shoot AND move at max speed.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It brings a tear to my eye to see so many people embracing the joy that is Hammer Time.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I gave up on the hammer as too klunky to use, but the buffs make me want to give it another try.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

megane posted:

I gave up on the hammer as too klunky to use, but the buffs make me want to give it another try.

OG hammer was downright bad imo, the buffs have done a significant amount of work. Now that the recovery from the special attack stun is cut in half to compensate for removing the animation cancel TH is in the spot it should have been in the first place.

It seriously benefits from having Headtaker at minimum though for a lot of breakpoints on Damnation. I think it's a required blessing personally

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 5, 2023

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Exodee posted:

I think the heavy sword still has it beat for horde clear thanks to its crazy cleave properties; mine one shots the first pox walker on a light headshot while still dealing 110 damage on the 11th(!) target, it's insane how well it cleaves. But the hammer definitely feels like a better generalist with also a hella strong niche to boot. Plus it's so much more satisfying to use. :)

Come to think of it, with those two zealot weapons having been buffed a ton I feel like the eviscerator has been left in the dust a bit? It has like one good attack in its heavy swing but then everything else seems rather mediocre, but maybe I'm missing something. Even the push attack which I remember being decent only damages up to three targets, which is not great.

Which heavy sword is the Good One?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Richard Bong posted:

7 or 9 imo, though I only have personal experience with 7. After I'm done with some other projects on Zealot I'm gonna try and get a proper heavy sword built

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Richard Bong posted:

The IX is the easiest one to use, since it has massive cleave on all its light attacks so you can just spam that all day long. Like Evil Kit I also like the VII though, which has a worse light attack pattern but better heavies, so it feels a bit more dynamic even though it's probably worse overall.

I think the VI might not be bad either, since it's basically like the VII but with an almost reversed moveset. It just trips up your muscle memory real bad if you're used to the other since they're so similar otherwise.

Edit: Here's my sword if you wanna know what to build for:

Blessings and perks could be a bit better but it already hits all the damnation breakpoints so eh. Headtaker might as well be mandatory though, so be on the lookout for that blessing.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 5, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I like the thunder hammer but the garbage cleave damage just kills it for me. It'll kill one dude and then the next two take 50 damage or so. You can survive a bit in hordes but eventually you'll get surrounded by dudes you knocked down but didn't kill.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Nah stick with your team and they'll kill the horde of chaff you're cc'ing. People will ignore 2-3 stragglers but a big juicy mass of targets is Pubbie Catnip

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Tagichatn posted:

I like the thunder hammer but the garbage cleave damage just kills it for me. It'll kill one dude and then the next two take 50 damage or so. You can survive a bit in hordes but eventually you'll get surrounded by dudes you knocked down but didn't kill.
If you stack enough power through blessings and stuff you can get the second hit to about 150 damage, which is similar to a vanilla eviscerator so not terrible:

It has decent blessings (power on hit/kill) but terrible stats though, so you can probably get it higher. But yeah it's best to pair it with a good crowd-controlling ranged weapon.

Did a quick test comparison with the heavy sword I posted above and sheesh that sword cleave: (yes that's one light attack, I didn't even get the headshot on the first hit though whoops)

So uh yeah, as far as killing hordes goes it's no contest, but the hammer has a much easier time against elites I find while still not being bad against smaller hordes. Apples and oranges and all that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tagichatn posted:

this is why I think it either needs 1 of Thrust or Headtaker. You can kill things hordes in 2-3 swings as you thin them out and the extra power means you can keep cleaving larger numbers. I've honestly had no issues since I hit Headtaker 4 but tbh 3 would suffice.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

You can't get surrounded with a thunder hammer. You've got a pox in your brain. It knocks over an infinite number of poxwalkers. You can dodge and push forever, you're a zealot. You cannot get overwhelmed. You just step back if you have to, and if there aren't new enemies pouring in, you work around in a square movement to pile them up. With the regular thunder hammer, you don't have to think about attack patterns or whatever, you just swing and focus on your positioning and blocking/pushing when necessary. It doesn't matter how many random zombies are around you, you knock them aside and then blast the real targets. Even before the refresh speed adjustment, you could solo bulwarks with a thunder hammer. Headshotting elites with charged attacks was always easy. You knock aside the chaff and destroy the priority targets. If you're really worried about basic zombies, bring a flamer with you. Or a bolter, pile them shits up and turn them into pulled pork.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

:toot: Pinning Fire 4 on Autopistol acquired! :toot:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder if sniper is ever desirable over the grenade regen perk?

Deadshot seems nice too but fast reload on elite kill just seems to good to pass up.

Edit: actually deadshot seems mid at best. Nevermind. Still tho I wonder if sniper might actually be pretty good if you're just nading to knock down crushers and buying space for revives/while cornered in a pinch.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 6, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Artificer posted:

Relatively easy to test: Run without the grenade regen perk and see how often you find yourself unable to use grenades when you’d like to. In my case, the answer is “almost never”, and so I take Sniper for free damage. It counteracts ranged falloff with the relevant guns and makes lasguns particularly lethal at 15m+.

Grenade pickups are typically plentiful around levels. Veteran grenades can be good, but they’re not as ubiquitous and worth spamming as most players seem to treat them. Toss a couple against clusters of armored elites or when going for a rez — in almost every other case, the benefits range from mild to a DPS downgrade compared to a good gun or a power sword.

edit reply:

40 Proof Listerine posted:

If you're running the bleed grenades then take the grenade regen because they contribute a meaningful amount of damage to hordes in a big area

You sure about that? Go into the training room and toss a grenade to one end of the poxwalker pile. The bleed contributes very little against targets on the outskirts. Where it’s significant is when you toss multiple grenades on elites, stacking lots of bleed on targets that might otherwise stay alive and letting the geometric growth damage pattern do some work. Still not tremendous, but against beefier targets there’s a chance to actually make a difference.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 6, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Artificer posted:

Deadshot seems nice too but fast reload on elite kill just seems to good to pass up.

Edit: actually deadshot seems mid at best. Nevermind. Still tho I wonder if sniper might actually be pretty good if you're just nading to knock down crushers and buying space for revives/while cornered in a pinch.

If you're running the bleed grenades then take the grenade regen because they contribute a meaningful amount of damage to hordes in a big area

If you're not running the bleed grenades then Sniper is real nice on Lucius lasguns and the slug shotgun because the benefits only start past 15m away and get to 20% damage at 30m which most weapons are going to be shooting way closer

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah I've found the bleed nades to be underwhelming on 5s, even on armored elites where I find my time better used to just heavy attacking them.
People ALSO rarely tend to use their grenades leaving grenade pick ups easily available for refills.

I know nowadays I tend to use my vet grenades to buy space for revives, when I am surrounded and need some space to move through a crowd, and to stun crusher/bulwarks moving at my team so I can charge a swing and wait for the nade to knock them down. Admittedly that last part happens a lot on damnation mode but on the other hand my teammates tend to fill in the gaps quite well if I can't knock them down personally, and vets shoot a LOT so the sniper perk likely comes into play a bunch.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 6, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'll vouch for the reload perk if you're running with a shotgun - you will be constantly topping off your clip in the middle of engagements, and most of your shooting will be happening at close range, so that extra 20% speed comes in clutch more often when your trying to keep 4+crushers stunned in the middle of a horde.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Artificer posted:

I've seen people recommend sniper for shotguns too, as a way to keep the regular shot relevant at long range. Plus you can actually snipe with the special slug from the agripinaa.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Artificer posted:

There's a Helbore build where you lean really hard into your ranged damage where you would want sniper. A Helbore Mk3 w/ sniper and counterfire up can one-shot pretty much any non-Ogryn elite. With a 25% Carapace perk and The Bigger They Are they can one-shot a Crusher with a weakspot critical. And compared to the bolter/plasma, it's way more ammo efficient so you can still deal with shooter packs without burning through a large portion of your ammo.

That said, I'm not a fan of the build as it always feels bad to me when I try and run it. The weapon swap time, while not as bad as a bolter/plasma, is slow enough you really don't want to be in melee combat. As if something appears that you need to pick off at ranged, you will take too long getting the Helbore out vs. a XII where you can easily weave in and out of melee as needed. And unlike the bolter/plasma, the Helbore can't easily clear hordes by unloading into it. You can potentially grenade spam if you swap the sharing wall-hacks talent for the 5% chance of grenade on elite kill. But RNG can be a bitch sometimes and leave you with nothing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The grenade perk is really good on shock gauntlet but the info given via wallhacks is also really good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Speaking of giving your team info with wallhacks, if you are sharing wallhacks with your team and have the feat that makes them refresh on kills, do your teammates' wallhacks refresh from your kills, or from their own? (Or do they refresh at all? I play a vet with the refresh on kill feat, and it feels like it does refresh when other vets share them, but I can't tell whose kills are refreshing them)

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

deep dish peat moss posted:

Speaking of giving your team info with wallhacks, if you are sharing wallhacks with your team and have the feat that makes them refresh on kills, do your teammates' wallhacks refresh from your kills, or from their own? (Or do they refresh at all? I play a vet with the refresh on kill feat, and it feels like it does refresh when other vets share them, but I can't tell whose kills are refreshing them)

It refreshes on your kills.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Also, other non-veteran players only see the base version of the wall hack, not the version you've talented for. So if you are running Covering Fire, they won't see shooters highlighted. Other veteran players will see whatever version of wall hack they would see if they activated their own wallhack.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
can't remember if that's true, i think i remember seeing swarms of shooters get lit up by squaddie veteran wallhacks at times

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

It may actually only happen if you're a vet, but I definitely have seen other vets counterfire highlights if they have the optic whatever to share wallhack. Not sure if I've seen that on other classes.

I got back from vacation and hopped in a mission with my vet. It was damnation but ended up being low intensity hounds and the powersword now is ... fine. They need to rebalance the mobility aspect of it as its punishingly worse than most other melee weapons without the huge offensive boost and probably need to rebalance the blessings that synergize with energized attacks, but other than that its like the same mostly.

My big peeve is due to the crafting system if I ever do get power cycler my current really good PS won't be able to have it since I had to add Slaughterer to it via the blessing mechanic. My PS which already has slaughterer is worse statted. Annoying little things that the RNG and crafting system have when dealing with hardcore nerfs like these.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main complaint people can have right now is that there is a massive gap between weapons with the "Best In Slot Blessings" and those that get the random garbage blessings that fill up 90% of the blessing pool on any given weapon.

There is a big difference between a power sword with Power Cycler and Slaughterer then one that has all the worthless cleavage blessings, or a combat axe with brutal momentum and without, or a thunderhammer with thrust/headtaker and without, heavy sword with it's 75% power headtaker, voidstrike staff without it's peril quell on headshot, flamethrower without blaze away/overpressure and so on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

+6% reload speed for 2 seconds after sliding

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

c'mon, they buffed it to 20% at max! That's actually a whole feat after all.

Some of the weapons are fine without optimal blessings but ironically I do think those weapons also happen to have poo poo blessings that do basically nothing for you lol. A lot of the Ogryn ranged weapons come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Speaking of blessings I want to start spending crafting material on building out by Vet melee weapons, what are the good blessings for the Shovel? I ended up eating most of my vet's melee weapons once the crafting patch dropped so I'm light on good rolls on stuff other than PS.