Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

pablo gbscobar posted:

So apparently Poots is giving a 'major' speech on foreign policy shortly, presumably in response to the Finland news. Is there anywhere covering or broadcasting this?

https://www.ruptly.tv/en/events/202304051200-live13946-putin-welcomes-17-new-ambassadors-to-russia
(Ruptly is RT's subsidiary.) English audio is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Prediction:
This is a threat to our security and sovereignty and shows how "the west" is mean to us
We will respond harshly in unspecified ways
Everyone is secretly jealous of how stronk russia is

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Woah hold up putin also singlehandedly produced record demand in russia for both new underwear and underwear drycleaning services, with nearly 500% growth in one year. Thats got to be worth something to the russian economy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
More Ukrainians have completed AS90 training. Ukraine have been given 30 AS90s.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1643584797598523395?t=1vsGvPdbyHj7LP89iONsTg&s=19

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Yeah I was wondering about that actually...like HOW will Russia get the ships that are stationed out of there? Is that port completely NATO encircled on international territorial waters?

Not a maritime/war/geography buff so feel free to tell me if im an idiot for asking lol

P.s i know thats an lotr reference but im talking about an actual map

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

*squints, tilts head* sooooooo, uhh....... Nazis, right?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1643556414764318721
Six more 2A4s on the way from Spain.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

stab posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that actually...like HOW will Russia get the ships that are stationed out of there? Is that port completely NATO encircled on international territorial waters?

Not a maritime/war/geography buff so feel free to tell me if im an idiot for asking lol

P.s i know thats an lotr reference but im talking about an actual map

Roughly 14 miles from the coast of a territory is considered part of a countries territory. Finland joining NATO didn't actually change anything in terms of where russian ships can sail in a legal sense, it's just a funny meme. Russia ships can still sail into the North Sea and Atlantic fine. It's more that the meme is making fun of the fact russian vessels now have NATO north and south of it when sailing in/out of st P.

Denmark can't block vessels sailing in their straits due to a treaty it signed ages ago. Forgotten the name. I'm sure someone will remember it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tai posted:

Roughly 14 miles from the coast of a territory is considered part of a countries territory. Finland joining NATO didn't actually change anything in terms of where russian ships can sail in a legal sense, it's just a funny meme. Russia ships can still sail into the North Sea and Atlantic fine. It's more that the meme is making fun of the fact russian vessels now have NATO north and south of it when sailing in/out of st P.

Denmark can't block vessels sailing in their straits due to a treaty it signed ages ago. Forgotten the name. I'm sure someone will remember it.

Copenhagen Convention of 1857, though it specifically does not cover the transit of warships, that being left to the general international law of 'Scouts honour' in peacetime and 'Neutrals can't block warships from any belligerent' in wartime.

Turkey's treaty does specifically mention warships though, which is why they're legally allowed to force the Russian naval reinforcements to be port queens in Syria

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 5, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Though due to the Copenhagen interpretation it is hard to know when a vessel is acting as a warship and when it is acting for commerce.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Haven't look into this before but I guess the red part is where transit is possible in peace time. If poo poo hits the fan, nothing is making it through there though.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Karate Bastard posted:

*squints, tilts head* sooooooo, uhh....... Nazis, right?

Heil yeah

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

So do Russians equate Nazis primarily with treachery for betraying their pact of friendship?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1643462699181920257

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1643550586283991040

Looking at the state that russia is in and soon is going to be when the offensive starts, I don't think they'd bet on this smoking wreck of a shithouse.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Power Khan posted:

Looking at the state that russia is in and soon is going to be when the offensive starts, I don't think they'd bet on this smoking wreck of a shithouse.

drat, should have pushed for cutting each others palms and becoming blood brothers and notakebacksies back in Winter 2021. Russia still has China's copy of Shaun White Pro Snowboarding and calls China's mum "Janice" too, so this is a big deal.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 5, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Joke Miriam posted:

So do Russians equate Nazis primarily with treachery for betraying their pact of friendship?

What Soviet/Nazi pact of friendship do you speak of?

My history textbook says nothing of this? Just that the sweet, innocent USSR was minding its own business behind its historical borders and was attacked out of the blue.

Power Khan posted:

The Chinese Ambassador to the EU's priority is furthering China's interests in its relations with the EU. He's going to say what he thinks needs to be said to do that, and if that means downplaying Sino-Russian relations, he will do so. I'm sure the Chinese Ambassador to Russia tailors his public messages for Russian audiences.

To be clear, I do think you are broadly right, I'd just warn against reading too much into this individual comment.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 5, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tigey posted:

My history textbook says nothing of this? Just that the sweet, innocent USSR was minding its own business behind its historical borders and was attacked out of the blue.

The Chinese Ambassador to the EU's priority is furthering China's interests in its relations with the EU. He's going to say what he thinks needs to be said to do that, and if that means downplaying Sino-Russian relations, he will do so. I'm sure the Chinese Ambassador to Russia tailors his public messages for Russian audiences.

To be clear, I do think you are broadly right, I'd just warn against reading too much into this individual comment.

While saying this the right foot silently pushes the box labeled 'Invasion of Poland' behind the couch.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The existence of the USSR is Western propaganda comrade. Russia has and always will exist in a perfect state, and any NATO lies of it sharing its glory with dirty ukrainians or poles is obvious fantasy dreamt up by most deranged US warmongers. FSB will visit for mandatory staircase and window inspection tomorrow for such deluded beliefs.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Tigey posted:

:eng101:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

OP was being tongue in cheek because modern russia propaganda maintains that since they defeated the nazis in ww2 all by themselves, anybody who goes against them or does anything they don't like (such as refusing to be genocided or invaded by them) is ipso facto a nazi

it's just mccarthyism but fascists in leftist clothing love it

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Things looking bad all over for the tzar.
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1643631488854835208?t=HOFwfuzmWPKyosqHfYpQzw&s=19

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9xYCW9FM9M
Here's a new intercepted phone call between two mobiks from Irkutsk that was intercepted somewhere near Avdiivka. They go on at length about how the regiment making the attacks there has been almost completely gutted of both personnel and equipment, which checks out from the reports of the local Ukrainian defenders on the heavy losses they inflicted on the attackers in the last couple weeks. One other mobik apparently attached to the commandant's office got drunk, started firing his rifle in the air, screaming that "they are all going to f-ing kill us.". The aforementioned losses resulted in preparations of withdrawal for the whole battered regiment for retraining and rotation. Supposedly some government official from Irkutsk was meant to come to regimental headquarters, but he never showed up, as well. :nms: for description of casualties.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol that’s not minor that’s a pretty big loving deal. Remember that Serbia is what internet leftists point to when they talk about NATO aggression.

From my experience, public opinion in Serbia is complicated. A lot of axes to grind but also feelings that it could have easily been them getting invaded instead of Ukraine.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Copenhagen Convention of 1857, though it specifically does not cover the transit of warships, that being left to the general international law of 'Scouts honour' in peacetime and 'Neutrals can't block warships from any belligerent' in wartime.

Turkey's treaty does specifically mention warships though, which is why they're legally allowed to force the Russian naval reinforcements to be port queens in Syria

The conventions don't say anything about special military operationships though :denmark:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Tigey posted:

I read it as "China backed the wrong loving horse and only realized it when they got eyes on how dead Russia's prized stallions are." Also, words cost nothing, they're not a binding agreement or to be taken seriously, right?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A Russian semi-friend of mine that tried to recruit me in 2016 to a fake-news writing site as a "western-friendly journalist" to write pro-Bernie articles as part of the Russian election interference operations sent word to me via telegram that he had to flee st petersburg because the infighting between factions is starting to get too dangerous for continued business operations. He's been told to set up shop in Samara instead lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Between Trump news and the upcoming counteroffensive/China telling Russia to get bent I'm feeling...

Hopeful?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

A Russian semi-friend of mine that tried to recruit me in 2016 to a fake-news writing site as a "western-friendly journalist" to write pro-Bernie articles as part of the Russian election interference operations sent word to me via telegram that he had to flee st petersburg because the infighting between factions is starting to get too dangerous for continued business operations. He's been told to set up shop in Samara instead lol

the first half of that sentence was one hell of a breath, soldier

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Eight-Six posted:

the first half of that sentence was one hell of a breath, soldier

yeah i reported it to the FBI once I figured out what happened but I didn't put any of it together until after the big report came out about the interference and what they did. At the time I thought it was just a side gig that I didn't really need so I turned it down. Later on though I was like fuuuuuuuck lol, maybe the feds should know about this?? Nobody ever contacted me about it though, I just got the standard "thank you for submitting this tip" auto reply.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Between Trump news and the upcoming counteroffensive/China telling Russia to get bent I'm feeling...

Hopeful?

Yesterday was a great day electionwise as well

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1643501793262071809

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

China wants Russian oil and European markets.
They can still buy Russian oil pretty much no matter what, but backing Russia too much could cause US and European markets to become an issue for them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pro starcraft loser posted:

They can still buy Russian oil pretty much no matter what, but backing Russia too much could cause US and European markets to become an issue for them.

China only needs to stay on good terms with Russia long enough for the whole mess of a nation to fall in on itself and then quietly help themselves to Russian territory and investments to buy companies out from under Russian ownership.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pro starcraft loser posted:

You already have western companies backing off and thinking "hmm, maybe we shouldn't entrust all of our bleeding-edge tech manufacturing to this authoritarian country with designs on imperialism". Russia really shattered the illusion of economic interdependence ensuring stability.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1643659507333988367

Might be NSFW, there could be a dead body on tweet 47 or a dead body may appear in the thread after posting this.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Russia should section off the eastern half of the country into numbered, Taiwan sized parcels now to make bargaining more efficient down the line.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1643663618884370449
Oryx's list updated with 150 Rosomaks and 24 Rak self-propelled mortars. That's quite a lump sum of kit.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
iirc aren't IFVs at the top of Ukraine's wish list? 150 would be a real boon.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Time for the gentle touch of expert drone pilot callsign "Baker" turning a bunch of russian soldiers into dough.

:nms:

In other news, check out the support equipment that UA is going to field in the upcomming offensive.

https://twitter.com/Havoc_Six/status/1643606135906131974

https://twitter.com/Havoc_Six/status/1643608738094276610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't look into this before but I guess the red part is where transit is possible in peace time. If poo poo hits the fan, nothing is making it through there though.

Bless