Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
When I first started playing adult hockey, we played against this team called the Thunder Demons every week who would bring a whole crowd and were really over the top. They left the league after a year over a jersey dispute, so the only way to check in on them now is when they post to their Youtube Channel.

Yesterday this clip popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5wdBgBtUdA

Glad to see they haven't changed (or improved) since 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I desperately need to know what this jersey dispute was over given the name of the team is the Thunder Demons

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

.Spec posted:

I desperately need to know what this jersey dispute was over given the name of the team is the Thunder Demons

Not too exciting, the league was a drop in league so you were supposed to wear the official league jerseys in either blue or white, but back then they also let it slide that you could wear non-official jerseys as long as they were the right colors. These guys all wanted to wear their official custom jerseys, the league said no because having a whole team with matching shirts would ruin the feel of the drop in game as the refs are supposed to balance the teams as needed. So the last game of the season, they all wore their matching jerseys and then moved off to a traditional team based beer league in New Hampshire. My league started to have bring your own team games where they could've registered as a team and played other fixed teams but it was too late for them.

The real kicker is that they brought in some ringers to stomp the New Hampshire league, and then those ringers brought in their good friends until they out numbered and kicked out the original players, but per the video it looks like the original Thunder Demons are back.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m confused it’s a drop in but there’s always one whole team who shows up all for one side?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like your average level of beer league management to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Was skipping around reading old posts in this thread the other day and that jersey story reminds me of the goon who posted their hebrew national jerseys with boner names. I wonder if they ever got to use it

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

sellouts posted:

I’m confused it’s a drop in but there’s always one whole team who shows up all for one side?

Its a drop in and the league/ ref are supposed to assign teams but they would insist on only playing together. Since they were so bad, the ref let it happen because it wasn't making everyone elses experience any worse I guess? Stinky Socks is a weird league but theres not many other choices in Mass, and one of them is the glove shitter league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

weird concept to me but yeah that’s hosed up of that team

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
One of the teams from last season that injures everyone and also has multiple ringers who played for like DU and poo poo added another player who is good enough to make their other ringers look like middle schoolers. It sure was fun skating against a guy who scored a hattrick in his first shift and then moved to defense and played 80% of the game shutting down anything our team did and just skates around in circles with the puck until a passing lane opens. Sure do love entry level beginner beer league.
I talked to the guy who runs the league and he's like "the rink owner's daughter plays for that team. Nothing I can do"
Ffs if a team plays in 2 D leagues and has 5/6 championships in the last 3 seasons maybe they don't need to add more ringers or maybe they can loving play in C league.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

V for Vegans posted:

the glove shitter league.

That was one of the best loving stories I've read about hockey.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chill la Chill posted:

Was skipping around reading old posts in this thread the other day and that jersey story reminds me of the goon who posted their hebrew national jerseys with boner names. I wonder if they ever got to use it

They sure did.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Really considering lacing them up again, still pretty worried about Covid though -- I'm sure it varies hugely from state to state (and I'm in loving garbage rear end TN), but how has it been for you all who have returned?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Beginner hockey league updates so far!

Originally the rink decided to add a beginner C league and push players that needed development down into that league and add in new skaters there with the intent of promoting players back up as they got better/more experienced. There were four teams of 6-7 players for C league after evaluations and the A and B league teams drafted rosters. The idea was playing 1&2 v 3&4, 1&3 v 2&4, etc and rotating weekly so everyone got to play together.

This pissed people off. I get not liking being told that you need to move down, or being upset with slow or conflicting communication, and some folks already paid for a sweater for their team, but from skating with some of those players they really needed to be in a development league. Roster for C league dropped from 24-26 players down to about 12.

The rink panicked and rushed their already delayed rollout of what beginner C league was supposed to be, and we’re back up to 17-19 players. Some players from the higher leagues fill in as mentors for C league games, so most the time we have ten per side.

All in total, here’s what my $500 league fees got: 22 league games (at good times - Sunday afternoons or Wednesday nights never later than 9:30), plus unlimited subbing for B league teams (if you get a call from a B captain, I’ve already subbed in 4 games), a punch card for sticktime with 10 sessions on it (1 hour sticktime, $100 value), 13 1-hour skills and drills sessions run by the youth travel club coaching staff.

Communication is kinda bad, but that’s due to using emails and the rink sending to the wrong or a bad email, or people not checking, or the email getting flagged as spam. Scheduling was wonky in the beginning but there’s a calendar online that’s accurate and changes usually get an email reminder. Now that the players know each other there’s group texts too so people are getting multiple reminders about games and other sessions or schedule changes, so it’s not too bad.

Stat tracking is nonexistent for C league, and hit or miss for the other leagues. The website they use is atrocious to navigate but at least they keep mostly accurate scores and some stats. There was a B league game I filled in that was on the website as a 2-1 loss for the team I subbed for that was definitely a 2-2 tie. Took about 3 days for that to change online.

Still a lot of complaining from people that have been playing there a long time, but I’m just glad to be playing hockey! Helping instead of hotdogging is pretty fun. And I definitely got my money’s worth, I plan on making all the remaining skills and drills sessions and games so s&d + sticktime + games comes to $11/hour of ice time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Really considering lacing them up again, still pretty worried about Covid though -- I'm sure it varies hugely from state to state (and I'm in loving garbage rear end TN), but how has it been for you all who have returned?

It may depend on your geography, but in Seattle people don’t come if they have Covid and we haven’t had any locker room transmission. I haven’t run into anyone who has had it run through their team either, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t. Even kid teams haven’t had issues for the most part. Once in a while someone will disappear for about two weeks, but it’s not rampant.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Haven't heard of anyone at my rink getting Covid in over a year, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened; people just don't care as much anymore. I'm in a red-leaning county, so they never fully shut the rink down. They canceled leagues for 6 months or so, but would rent the ice out to anyone who wanted it on the downlow. There's tons of people here who just didn't care.

I've been playing 1-2 times weekly since vaccines and have only had it once since, and I'm 98% sure it came from my kids' daycare.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

V for Vegans posted:

Its a drop in and the league/ ref are supposed to assign teams but they would insist on only playing together. Since they were so bad, the ref let it happen because it wasn't making everyone elses experience any worse I guess? Stinky Socks is a weird league but theres not many other choices in Mass, and one of them is the glove shitter league.

Wait Stinky Socks is supposed to balance teams even in league play? That is weird. I've played a handful of drop in games with them and always brought two jersey's on the ice with me (it was before they mandated the official jersey thing). I figured if they did a league they wouldn't mess with the teams really. I would do more of them, or even do a league maybe now that I've started skating again so that I could get a second night on the ice but they are always just a little too far from me to do it. They used to do some in Canton which was a little far but not so far I wouldn't go and I would probably do Quincy but the only ones I could go to there were always like like D level/novice skates which I wasn't interested in. It's been long enough I see they now use a number system instead of letters and both Canton and Quincy both seem to be off the schedule.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think people sort of stopped caring to be honest.

I'm also in Seattle. Some people still wear them in public but not many. Nobody wears masks on the ice. I don't see anybody wearing them in the locker rooms either. I still have tests and test before big events or travel but at this point, most people have probably had covid at some point but with all the vaccines and boosters, testing is going way down and people are treating it like a cold or flu at this point.

When someone tells me they were sick and super exhausted, I'll ask if they tested for covid and most will say no.

:shrug:

I think that's just where things are now, even in super liberal Seattle where most people were pretty good about following mask mandates.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I still wear my mask and while it’s harder and my stamina isn’t what it was at my prime, I figure I can just get back to doing what I was before for boxing/MMA and continue playing with a mask anyway.

I’ll take it off briefly for water breaks but it’s definitely on all other times. Kinda sucks since I liked taking a shower at the gym and wouldn’t mind doing so at the rink but the precautions trump that.

edit: if I could trust that nobody ran into me I would take a camelbak and just keep a nice closed (as much as it can) system but I try to at least drink water where nobody really hangs out

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 6, 2023

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

In the last 2 seasons of playing hockey I've never contracted covid (confirmed negative by PCR tests whenever I thought it might be) but I have been absolutely wrecked by whatever fuckin viruses people with children have been bringing to the locker room since the first lockdowns ended.

Parents were the enemy all along.

Also my dumb little first-year learn2play team won their first playoff game ever against what was probably our in-season rivals and now we face the best team in the division but we actually have like a .500 record against them somehow so it should be fun.

It's also an early Saturday evening game and the prospect of going to the smoked meat and whiskey restaurant afterwards is, honestly, the most exciting part of the night.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saw this pretty inspiring thread https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/68432-learning-hockey-at-an-advanced-age/ and it's getting me amped reading through it. Glad to see that my plan is more or less in line with theirs. Always focusing on fundamentals and edges, and I like the idea of skating with eyelets unlaced so you can really test if you're skating well or using your boot to compensate.

Most of the early videos are private now but there are glimpses of public ones early on and you can see a huge difference even 4 months in. I've been trying to get as much ice and off ice time dedicated to improving but I'm very envious of their ability to practice on an empty rink. I'm guessing it's a flexible schedule and ability go to public skate/stick and pucks in the middle of the day.

Bradf0rd posted:

They sure did.

drat now I need to find the posts again and look for updates

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok I'm over being heated about that game.

I played a game yesterday and was left defense. I felt like I played pretty well. We had a cycle where I kept the puck in the zone along the boards 4 or 5 times in a row. I don't know what its called, but I took the puck on my backhand along the boards, then pulled it to my forehand and fired a wrist shot through traffic from the blue line every time. We got a ton of rebound chances off of them, my team just couldn't get it past their goalie.
I also had a few breakaways but either shot wide, or missed 5 hole.

Anyways I love hockey but I have to decide between playing on Tuesday against a team that I hate playing, or going to the Avs Oilers game that I have tickets to. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Ok I'm over being heated about that game.

I played a game yesterday and was left defense. I felt like I played pretty well. We had a cycle where I kept the puck in the zone along the boards 4 or 5 times in a row. I don't know what its called, but I took the puck on my backhand along the boards, then pulled it to my forehand and fired a wrist shot through traffic from the blue line every time. We got a ton of rebound chances off of them, my team just couldn't get it past their goalie.
I also had a few breakaways but either shot wide, or missed 5 hole.

Anyways I love hockey but I have to decide between playing on Tuesday against a team that I hate playing, or going to the Avs Oilers game that I have tickets to. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love playing hockey. Sounds like you had a good game.

Clearly you need to go to that Avs Oilers game. No contest.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Does doing weak side crossovers and stopping ever feel natural? I have to be actively thinking about it when I do it, and it's really hard to do under pressure for me.
I keep doing public skates and focusing on it, and when I'm going on runs I try to do crossovers for part of it and even those weak side on foot crossovers feels unnatural. The strong side feels completely natural though.
Mostly wondering if it will feel natural at some point or if that's something that happens when you start as a kid

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

Does doing weak side crossovers and stopping ever feel natural? I have to be actively thinking about it when I do it, and it's really hard to do under pressure for me.
I keep doing public skates and focusing on it, and when I'm going on runs I try to do crossovers for part of it and even those weak side on foot crossovers feels unnatural. The strong side feels completely natural though.
Mostly wondering if it will feel natural at some point or if that's something that happens when you start as a kid

Yes to both. Sometimes I'll devote entire skating sessions to only working on my weak side for stops, crossovers, transitions, etc. One side is always going to be better and more comfortable than the other, but with enough practice, you'll eventually be able to do both sides without thinking about it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

It took me what I’d estimate 50-60 hours on ice using them to feel natural with it. It’s not 100% doing weak side, but it’s using it and being okay with wiping out when it’s the right footwork to use. I’m personally stuck and still working on my backwards crossovers now to feel natural, but every time I wipe out I’m a rep closer to them feeling right. It’s that and the outside edge stops that I’m emphasizing when I have the chance.

We have a bunch of 14 and 16 AA teams in town for a tourney this weekend from all over the US and Canada and I pulled the bands on for my first AA and 4-ref game yesterday. Glad it was the 14s and not the 16s, because holy hell was that 16s game a blast (and being on the lines was the right spot). Figuring out your footwork while trying to be in the right position is a hoot and a half. But we didn’t mess it up which makes me happy when we can let them play. It was a top 5 hockey experience I’ve been directly involved in easily and I’m sure it gets even better. Atmosphere was A+ and the boys played some really fun hockey. I haven’t had that sort of experience since doing high level youth soccer and college games.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm right handed/footed for pretty much everything I do. But I can not do left over right crossovers. My right foot/ankle does not feel that strong. Its been that way for as long as I've been skating. I can stop with the right foot leading. I'm fat and old and ok with where I am in playing hockey. Our daughter and one niece are left handed so at times I wonder if I should have been left handed.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm right-handed, but I'm better at stopping on my left side :shrug:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Same. I prefer to stop with my left side.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No one should be discouraged by that 50-60 hour ice time estimate, btw. It took me far longer than that and I was 12 at the time. Adults, with limited ability to be coached and limited time available to learn, may take longer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

No one should be discouraged by that 50-60 hour ice time estimate, btw. It took me far longer than that and I was 12 at the time. Adults, with limited ability to be coached and limited time available to learn, may take longer.

Also age triggers a so called preservation gene, years of life puts you in a nice injury free comfort zone and committing to power skating requires ignoring that part of your brain. It's hard.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

Definitely don't feel bad about it. It's not an easy skill to manage. We spent an entire season pushing kids to use both sides and I'd say we got about 2 of 11 to be comfortable on both feet in our group and probably about 3 more in the other 3 groups in 10U and they like flying and falling everywhere. So not only did I have a year of being on the ice practicing 2x a week there, I did a bunch of playing, drop ins, and other skates to get there too. It's a repetition thing like a lot of skills, but worse because it's kind of like trying to swing a bat on your non-dominant side. Forget hitting a ball, it's just hard getting the motion of it down.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I remember even in highschool our coach making us do sprints and having us stop facing the same direction each time so we had to stop by alternating which foot was the lead foot. I don't remember having an issue with it at that time but I remember thinking, oh this is so we don't get complacent always turning, stopping, etc. the same direction every time. So its something that got drilled into us during organized hockey even if the majority of us had already been skating for 10+ years. Having to basically teach yourself how to make it natural to go both ways will probably take a lot of time and discipline.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

All of this is encouraging because it sounds possible. I'll just keep working at it. I think I'm going to pick either tennis or soccer back up to work on my conditioning and explosiveness again. Maybe both.

Hockey just makes me want to be active again and I love it.

Ps gently caress having my playoff game on easter because 2 of our 3 best players are missing the game for family stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look up a progression to doing stump jumps. When you can do those you're officially explosive enough.

My new conditioning plan is to do Mt. Bierstadt once a month once the pass is open. For now I'm just doing weekend hikes in Pike NF because it's hilly as hell and over 7k feet. The higher stuff in South Park still completely destroys me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Look up a progression to doing stump jumps. When you can do those you're officially explosive enough.

My new conditioning plan is to do Mt. Bierstadt once a month once the pass is open. For now I'm just doing weekend hikes in Pike NF because it's hilly as hell and over 7k feet. The higher stuff in South Park still completely destroys me.

Someday let's hike pike's peak. It's a half marathon up and half marathon back down.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

xzzy posted:

I searched stump jumps and found this video: https://youtu.be/zl4EugCBCaE

Holy poo poo my old knees are screaming from just watching.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Holy poo poo my old knees are screaming from just watching.

My right knee just flipped me off

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I can still do stump jumps at 33 but it hurts. gently caress it really is all downhill here isn't it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I ran that workout for several months during covid because I was trapped in my home and it popped up when I was looking for ways to workout without a gym. It's nice because it needs almost no equipment.

The bucket of pucks on a hockey stick is what hurt the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hot drat that's the good stuff. Been a while but I'll start working on those