Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no wonder the media have been playing up the racist groom gangs poo poo again

https://twitter.com/GranadaReports/status/1643335377027997696?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

No, no, I think you will find we are required to remember it as she transed too much

So the SNP didn't achieve independence for Scotland, joined in ratfucking Corbyn, then took itself behind the woodshed and blew its own brains out

At this point I'd just say I was an op because its less embarrassing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How did they rat gently caress Corbyn? Genuine question.

Like he would regularly visit, say a bunch of stupid unionist lorem ipsum, and then be laughed at because scotlab are a mess.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
They refused to anti-brexit coalition with his labour unless he stepped down first iirc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

That was another thing Keith said, that nic stepping down proves she was moving too fast on trans rights for the Scottish public

The loving bill was shot down by the English tories, the Scottish public elected the government they overruled!

What a oval office

That's the thing, it's sold as this outrageous overreach of power by the Nats & rushed through. And then you look at there's been a public consultation for loving years, going back to when Kezia Dugdale was ScotLab leader (actually 3 separate consultations lol), went to a vote in the Parliament which passed with a comfortable majority of 88 to 33 at stage 1, with 4 abstentions and 4 members not voting. All Lib Dems, all Greens, all but 1 Labour, 55 SNP & even 2 Tory MSPs voted for it, and then by a majority of 86 to 39, with 0 abstentions and 4 members not voting at stage 3.

Nothing about this should be controversial except the Tories contempt for devolution

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

So the SNP didn't achieve independence for Scotland, joined in ratfucking Corbyn, then took itself behind the woodshed and blew its own brains out

Corbyn ratfucked himself by being too conciliatory and too afraid of a fight when the numbers everywhere but the PLP were in his favour. Right after that snapn 2017 election would have been the time to get their house in order but he didn't want a fight that had already started

If you refuse to fight back while someone is pummelling you in the face that's on you. Sure, the guy who is hitting you sucks, loving do something about it

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Murrell’s always been a bit sketchy. Will be nice to see the gory details.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

don't get mad about it my G, the rising plastic seas will soon kill us all

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kecske posted:

don't get mad about it my G, the rising plastic seas will soon kill us all

I will never not be mad about it. We could have had a government that actually took the environmental crisis seriously and instead we have poo poo being pumped into rivers and seas whenever we get a ml of rain

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

I will never not be mad about it. We could have had a government that actually took the environmental crisis seriously and instead we have poo poo being pumped into rivers and seas whenever we get a ml of rain

I feel like that's an understatement actually:

BBC posted:

Official figures show an average of 825 sewage spills per day into England's waterways in the last year.

Latest figures from the Environment Agency (EA) showed a total of 301,081 sewage spills in 2022.

Only allowed under exceptional conditions though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
yeah, conditions of exceptional profit babey woo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hate this oval office

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1643037105319211008?s=20

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Maybe he should microwave his glasses again see if he can spot the analogies better afterwards

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

David Baddiel is so jaded be can only get it up for the really depraved Hardcore Holocaust denial at this point

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
David "mentioning that nonjews were also killed in the Holocaust is holocaust denial" baddiel

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are criminal felonies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hey remember when Nicola Sturgeon stepped down and it was so abrupt and without clear reason that some people even assumed "she has long COVID and was too tired to keep working"?

Nicola Sturgeon's husband arrested in connection with SNP funding and finances investigation

quote:

Nicola Sturgeon's husband, Peter Murrell, has been arrested in connection with an investigation into the funding and finances of the Scottish National Party (SNP).

The former SNP chief executive is in custody and is being questioned by detectives.

Police Scotland has been investigating the spending of about £600,000 which was earmarked for Scottish independence campaigning.

The SNP said in a statement: "Clearly it would not be appropriate to comment on any live police investigation but the SNP have been co-operating fully with this investigation and will continue to do so.

"At its meeting on Saturday, the governing body of the SNP, the NEC, agreed to a review of governance and transparency - that will be taken forward in the coming weeks."

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I expect there will be much complaining from Kate Forbes fans about the leadership contest now. Which in fairness does seem to be timed with this police investigation. Can imagine there'd be a different result if sturgeon had resigned after her husband's arrest.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

do we now have to hand it to the abla nutjobs that 'the Murrells' were indeed a pair of corrupt bastards

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Stu Campbell was right*

*about this one very specific thing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Scottish Water is also dumping gently caress loads of sewage into... Scottish waters.

That's extremely dire since theyr not even a private company theyr run by the Scottish "government".
All the figures around it are probably less than 10% of the total too cause they don't actually test for sewage very often for some reason :thunk:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SNP have been running a 1 party state for like over a decade ofc theyr corrupt as gently caress by now that's how governments work

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

in completely shocking news kieth is supporting changes to the equality act

https://archive.ph/OqSDR

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i really want to leave this poo poo hole country

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1643547995470716929?s=20

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

hey remember when Nicola Sturgeon stepped down and it was so abrupt and without clear reason that some people even assumed "she has long COVID and was too tired to keep working"?

Nicola Sturgeon's husband arrested in connection with SNP funding and finances investigation
This is what short-term thinking does to you. Had they spent the money on campaigning, Scotland would be free, and they free with it to create a Putinist oil kleptocracy where they could've stolen £600 million.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Corbyn was, correctly, seen as the most dangerous opponent the SNP, Labour, Conservatives, and the Lib Dems ever faced. It was the biggest crisis since the end of WW2.

Corbyn didn't realize and/or didn't properly assess that his opponents, including many people with power and control in his own party, have a very definite ideological project and worldview that, as tepid and moderate as Corbyn's actual reforms may have been, is entirely and absolutely against any reform or improvement of the system.

He blew it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I don't think the most fervent corb supporter in the world disagrees with "he blew it"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

To be honest, Corbyn really wasn't much of anything in Scotland. Partly just because he took over right after the worst result for Scottish Labour since 1900 (a year where Labour had 1 MP in England & 1 in Wales & 0 in Scotland, and the Boer War was ongoing so there was loads of jingoism). Labour did better in Scotland in 3 or 4 elections before all of the working class even had the vote lol

He'd been given a poo poo base to start from but he didn't need the Nats to ratfuck him, ScotLab did that plenty

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

gonadic io posted:

I don't think the most fervent corb supporter in the world disagrees with "he blew it"

Oh no, there's deffo some. The ones still in the Labour Party

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

don't forget that lansman called luke akehurts a comrade since corbyn stopped being leader ffs

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

To be honest, Corbyn really wasn't much of anything in Scotland. Partly just because he took over right after the worst result for Scottish Labour since 1900 (a year where Labour had 1 MP in England & 1 in Wales & 0 in Scotland, and the Boer War was ongoing so there was loads of jingoism). Labour did better in Scotland in 3 or 4 elections before all of the working class even had the vote lol

He'd been given a poo poo base to start from but he didn't need the Nats to ratfuck him, ScotLab did that plenty

oh totally. he had more than enough enemies inside the labour machine in England, Wales, and Scotland. I just find the SNP's offer, resign and we will enter into a coalition with your successor, was telling of how much the established political classes across all major parties and ideologies instantly unified around a single goal: corbyn has got to go.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

One really frustrating thing is that Corbyn's time came right after New Labour completely sank Labour's standing in Scotland - one of their traditional centres of support that was a foundation for national electoral success.

In 2017 Labour had a swing to them not seen since the 1940s, had enough momentum to make up a 20-point polling gap in a matter of weeks and polled more votes in English constituencies than they did in any of the three elections under Blair. If they had even half of the number of seats that were traditionally 'theirs' in Scotland they'd have romped in with a clear majority, let alone if they had the 56 they'd had in 1997. Or even the 40-something they had for most of the post-war period. Instead they were starting from one seat and gained six while still dropping to third place.

bedpan posted:

oh totally. he had more than enough enemies inside the labour machine in England, Wales, and Scotland. I just find the SNP's offer, resign and we will enter into a coalition with your successor, was telling of how much the established political classes across all major parties and ideologies instantly unified around a single goal: corbyn has got to go.

See also: The Lib Dems

LDs: Brexit is a travesty and an existential threat to the UK and basic democratic decency. It must be avoided at all costs!

JC: Vote with me to bring down the government set on a hard Brexit and install a temporary minority government. I'll lead it as head of HM's Loyal Opposition.

LDs: No.

BalloonFish has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Apr 5, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Labour will take Scotland.

https://twitter.com/ConnorGillies/status/1643625464739553282?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol hidden cash or body

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They could dig up Madeline Mcann in Sturgeon's garden and Labour would still lose.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I swear to god if Murrell sinks independence by burying cash in the garden I'm going to go loving crazy. My brain will have broken completely & wholly.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

kecske posted:

the other end of the spectrum from Chiles is Rod Liddle

no it's not a joke

liddle rod

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1643338639059943427?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Second ref polling was up in late 2022, and it still isn't down by that much at this point, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ardennes posted:

Second ref polling was up in late 2022, and it still isn't down by that much at this point, just saying.

What's popular with the public doesn't matter at all though.