Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

cars wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin
Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport set to stop late-night flight service

quote:

As part of efforts to reduce noise pollution and carbon dioxide emissions in the Dutch capital, Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport has announced it intends to all but eliminate late-night flights by the end of 2025.

The airport CEO said plans for the airport over the next two years include closing it almost entirely between midnight and 5 a.m., local daily Het Parool reported on Monday.

The airport is also planning to ban noisier airplanes and private jets, the report said.

Following a long-running campaign by environmental groups against noise pollution and carbon dioxide emissions, the Dutch government revealed plans to limit flights to 440,000 annually starting in June 2022.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/amsterdams-schiphol-airport-set-to-stop-late-night-flight-service/2863382

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin
CUMMINS ANNOUNCES INVESTMENTS OF MORE THAN $1 BILLION ACROSS U.S. MANUFACTURING NETWORK

quote:

"sweet touch...." -daft punk

Engine and alternative power manufacturer Cummins is set to announce a $1 billion investment across their U.S. engine manufacturing network in Indiana, North Carolina and New York, according to the White House.

The company’s announcement aligns with President Biden’s visit to the Cummins Power Generation Facility in Fridley, Minn., on Monday, which is part of his “Investing in America tour.”

The investment is set to update facilities “so they can manufacture low- to zero-carbon engines, helping decarbonize the nation’s truck fleets today,” a White House official said. The official added that over half of all medium- and heavy-duty trucks currently on the road in the U.S. use engines manufactured by Cummins.

Cummins said last year, after Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act, that it would start manufacturing electrolyzers in the U.S. for the first time, all out of its Fridley facility. Electrolyzers are a critical input for clean hydrogen production, which powers hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

The investment in Minnesota is part of the over $2 billion companies have committed to investing in the North Star State since Biden took office, according to the White House.

The president is set to make remarks after touring the Cummins facility on Monday about how his economic agenda has led to over $435 billion in major private-sector investments.

Biden’s visit to Minnesota is part of a three-week travel blitz the White House has launched to highlight Biden’s economic agenda and investments through legislation passed last year. The “Investing in America tour” started last month at a North Carolina chips manufacturer.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3930871-white-house-cummins-to-announce-1b-investment-in-engine-manufacturing-network/

never awake has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Apr 4, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

never awake posted:

Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport set to stop late-night flight service

nice initiative. noise pollution is underrated.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

just

one

more

lane

bro

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/r3nyg3i.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
is Mad Max's car good or bad

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

bad. every dumbass in a brodozer pictures themselves as the protagonist of their own post-apocalyptic life and death struggle against the forces of evil (other motorists, pedestrians, pets)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mods

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

wow, pardner, we dont come to this thread to see an epic car toasting idiot bikers. youve got a lot to learn.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

bad of course. it's a car. but all the movies whip rear end. I really like the Sopranos, and recognize that Tony's a piece of poo poo, but of course there's tons of fans who idolize him. Homelander also has lots of irl unironic fans, etc

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just watching a british TV show where the presenters try to help some couples find a house to buy that meets all their requirements and budget. In this episode there's a couple who are looking for something in a town within walking distance to bars and cafes etc. but the guy is absolutely insistent that they need a private parking space as well (not just street parking). Completely rejected a significantly larger and nicer house because it didn't have a parking spot, it's not like they actually have any legitimate requirement for a parking space as the guy's car is a bog standard Mazda, not an EV or a sports car or something.

Just nuts how much people are willing to give up in exchange for a few square meters of flat ground.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Polo-Rican posted:

large suv: trash
large suv in white: ultratrash

I like all my car to be white because it's the easiest colour to paint.

Blackhawk posted:

Just nuts how much people are willing to give up in exchange for a few square meters of flat ground.

Where else am I supposed to paint my car!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That home shouldn't have been in the way of this car, clearly.

https://komonews.com/news/local/dea...fic-king-county

quote:

AUBURN, Wash. — One person is dead and three others critically injured after a car crashed into a home in Auburn early Wednesday morning.

The crash happened just after 2:45 a.m. Wednesday at Wildwood Mobile Estates, located on the 4000 block of Auburn Way South. Auburn Police Department (APD) spokesperson Kolby Crossley told KOMO News the homeowner called 911 after the crash.

The GMC Denali was traveling eastbound on Auburn Way South when the driver lost control and crashed into the home. The APD said the vehicle rolled multiple times before coming to a stop.

Crossley said there were four adults in the Denali at the time of the crash. One person in the vehicle was killed and three others were critically injured. Crossley said multiple people who were in the Denali were ejected from the vehicle.

It is currently unknown if the person who died was the driver or a passenger in the vehicle. No one inside the home was injured.

The APD believes “speed played a factor” in the crash.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Apr 5, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

These people shouldn't have been in the way of this car, clearly.

quote:

The APD believes “speed played a factor” in the crash.

:hmmyes:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've driven that road a bunch and its a 2 lane like 30mph with a curve

But you know, you couldn't put a wall or something in the curve end because then a poor car might hurt itself.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the car crashed, completely on its own

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

Just watching a british TV show where the presenters try to help some couples find a house to buy that meets all their requirements and budget. In this episode there's a couple who are looking for something in a town within walking distance to bars and cafes etc. but the guy is absolutely insistent that they need a private parking space as well (not just street parking). Completely rejected a significantly larger and nicer house because it didn't have a parking spot, it's not like they actually have any legitimate requirement for a parking space as the guy's car is a bog standard Mazda, not an EV or a sports car or something.

Good on him for being responsible with their things and not wanting to fill public infrastructure with automotive trash, that was his reasoning right?

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
Parisians are banning rental scoots. Thoughts?

I personally think they'd have a place in walkable cities if they were geofenced to designated parking areas and fines were issued for chucking them into the woods and what not.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

My house has a huge parking space in front that we're working on turning into something with flowers and beer spots. The former owner had major car brain. Our former neighbour was pretty cool, no license and pretty cool all round, but she sold the house to a car brained guy who is now turning the front yard into parking. Just incredibly sad, some pretty good berry bushes have already been killed.
He's also super into complete monoculture grass.
The road is also lousy with parked cars.

What I'm saying is that cars take up hella space that could be used for berries or beer or bees.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

RockWhisperer posted:

Parisians are banning rental scoots. Thoughts?

I personally think they'd have a place in walkable cities if they were geofenced to designated parking areas and fines were issued for chucking them into the woods and what not.
Scooters can be annoying (blocking sidewalks, dumped in rivers, whatever), but cars do all of that but worse. IMO, banning or strictly regulating any non-car transport is just the wrong move. Scooters are popular where I live. A lot of people riding them would be in cars otherwise. Scooters are also beloved by dentists.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cat botherer posted:

Scooters can be annoying (blocking sidewalks, dumped in rivers, whatever), but cars do all of that but worse. IMO, banning or strictly regulating any non-car transport is just the wrong move. Scooters are popular where I live. A lot of people riding them would be in cars otherwise. Scooters are also beloved by dentists.

Speed and acceleration probably should be capped lower on them, and they are annoying, but getting rid of them wholesale seems the wrong move.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone just hates scooters because a bunch of VC startups dumped them all over the place and left cities to figure out what to do about it. Rental scooters are good.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speed and acceleration should be capped, on cars

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

speed and acceleration should be capped, on cars

no good reason for them not to be

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Total kinetic energy should be capped.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone just hates scooters because a bunch of VC startups dumped them all over the place and left cities to figure out what to do about it. Rental scooters are good.

Last I checked they've got a median operating lifetime of 29 days. If that's even close to true nowadays that's an insane waste of lithium.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is that running time or just days out on the street until they are trashed?

Apr 7, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Is that running time or just days out on the street until they are trashed?

https://qz.com/1561654/how-long-does-a-scooter-last-less-than-a-month-louisville-data-suggests

Article is a bit old but with the way people abuse the gently caress out of the things I can't see them lasting for any appreciable amount of time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cat botherer posted:

It's like drugs and alcohol. Drugs get restricted, but alcohol, while far worse, was grandfathered in as Good.

Scooters are okay. The people renting them are sometimes bad at respecting others, but that's also true of rental bikes. And young men in general.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

The average vehicle went 163.2 miles over 92 trips during its lifetime
:rubby:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Those numbers were when random companies were dumping them in random cities in the US with VC money and didn't know what they were doing. Paris has apparently had them in 2018 so I imagine the numbers there look nothing like that. Trying to use data from the US for transit/micromobility and assuming it applies to somewhere like Paris is just dumb.

If you took US data for bike infrastructure and trains you would reach the conclusion that none of it could possibly work in Europe because it doesn't work in the US

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Apr 5, 2023

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The scooter stuff is funny, but anyone who actually seems to care about them while ignoring the car problem is either a disingenuous rear end in a top hat or a credulous idiot.

They really don't matter.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The nice thing about scooters is that you can push them out of the way when they are blocking the sidewalk or bike lane.

Also, people don't threaten to murder you when you touch them.

Apr 7, 2003

Loucks posted:

The scooter stuff is funny, but anyone who actually seems to care about them while ignoring the car problem is either a disingenuous rear end in a top hat or a credulous idiot.

They really don't matter.

I'm not a huge fan of sticking lithium in 6,000 lb brodozers either

There ain't a lot of it out there and pissing it away on applications like that is insane

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Cool go post about it in the scooters are bad thread. I don't give a gently caress as long as I'm still plagued by these turbulent cars.

CopperHound posted:

The nice thing about scooters is that you can push them out of the way when they are blocking the sidewalk or bike lane.

Actually some people are in wheelchairs and it's ableist for you not to scream and cry about scooters being left on the sidewalk.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

silicone thrills posted:

That home shouldn't have been in the way of this car, clearly.

jesus that's terrifying. i don't think there's any real path for a car to get enough speed to go through my house but maybe with the ludicrous acceleration the e150s have the brodozer a few doors down could do it.

Apr 7, 2003

There's an old guy here who gets off the T and uses the nearest rental scooter as a rolling crutch to get home. hopefully he throws them in the woods after he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

cat botherer posted:

the number of cars in bodies of water (often with bodies in them) is not something most people really understand. if it's deep enough that a car can be not visible without searching, there's probably a car in it, or likely more than one. magnet fishers keep finding them and then they get them hauled out and whoops solved a missing persons case from 40 years ago.