Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

gradenko_2000 posted:

idk where else to ask this but if I liked the Moneyball movie and wanted to read about it more seriously what should I look for?

i forget the movie but if you want more on baseball, look up sabermetrics (SABRmetrics). Baseball Between the Numbers was one of the books i read, but it's fairly old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

they were talking up this thing in middle school pre-GFC the cool english teacher who chaired the amnesty international chapter was really into it

https://www.kiva.org/

i think this bullshit ended up making people more indebted lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

It isn't just the opec+ messing with the oil market. Removing Russia and the usa constantly flooding the market have had roles.

It effects local markets to some degree, but in aggregate OPEC+ can control prices as total supply shifts. Also, Russia is pour oil into Asian markets.

----------

The real test is going the next 1-2 Fed meetings because the banking sector is looking weak, and it looks like a recession is about to occur but inflation is far from tamed and energy prices may be actually rising again.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if only there was a way to communally get together to provide housing. maybe some sort of structure where people pay a small portion of their wages to a central fund that allocates spending, with leaders decided by the community. alas

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

if only there was a way to communally get together to provide housing. maybe some sort of structure where people pay a small portion of their wages to a central fund that allocates spending, with leaders decided by the community. alas

We tried that at our start-up incubator and it didn't produce hockey stick returns. Any other ideas?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

We tried that at our start-up incubator and it didn't produce hockey stick returns. Any other ideas?

Hmmm. Pivot to 'chat gpt for housing' and see if you can raise off that instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i forget the movie but if you want more on baseball, look up sabermetrics (SABRmetrics). Baseball Between the Numbers was one of the books i read, but it's fairly old now.

Thank you

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i remember when this was supposed to be him standing in line at an ice cream truck just like everybody else he's very normal like you or I. the internet recycles billionaire love forever

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cooperative housing is a thing. Basically a group of people take out a loan to build an apartment complex instead of a house. Union pensions did build apartments for members in the past too. I've only heard of it done a handful of times in US and Canada, but it's still a lot more common in Germany.

Nothing about American banking and lending is conducive to cooperative housing though. It's all aimed at single family homes or loans for big finance investors building luxury apartments.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

be warned that you will encounter the early works of one Nate Silver

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

class warfare kicking off

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

class warfare kicking off

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tyrannicide

Lucy Parsons posted:

Let every dirty, lousy tramp arm himself with a revolver or a knife, and lay in wait on the steps of the palaces of the rich and stab or shoot the owners as they come out. Let us kill them without mercy, and let it be a war of extermination.

but that's too optimistic.

guessing this was actually just run-of-the-mill Reagan's Legacy, i.e. untreated mental illness culminating in random violence thanks to him shuttering mental health facilities in cali and every successor eating from the same bucket of ideological poo poo that raygun did

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I just call it being a pfc

I live a very modest lifestyle

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maybe the Federal Reserve should do what's necessary instead of oh-so-carefully slow-walking everything to keep everyone rich investors as happy as possible.

Seems to me someone should try a second button. I hear price controls affect prices?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

they were talking up this thing in middle school pre-GFC the cool english teacher who chaired the amnesty international chapter was really into it

https://www.kiva.org/

When i worked for HP they made a big show of donating $25 on kiva for all their employees, we got a certificate in our email and everything, along with a reminder that the donation was non tax deductible because HP was claiming the deduction lmao

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

Seems to me someone should try a second button. I hear price controls affect prices?

Only a godless pinko like *checks notes* Richard Nixon would dare do such a thing!!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

guessing this was actually just run-of-the-mill Reagan's Legacy, i.e. untreated mental illness culminating in random violence thanks to him shuttering mental health facilities in cali and every successor eating from the same bucket of ideological poo poo that raygun did

i feel like a bitcoin guy who also made an app that just had a huge news dump about how it facilitated money laundering and hits getting stabbed in the middle of the night isn't all that surprising

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

the cool english teacher who chaired the amnesty international chapter and was really into kiva.org

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i feel like a bitcoin guy who also made an app that just had a huge news dump about how it facilitated money laundering and hits getting stabbed in the middle of the night isn't all that surprising

it's like when jeffrey epstein died in prison and none of the news orgs could come out and say "that's a little sus, huh?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
those guys involved in Gus Fring's methamphetamine ring all died within 90 seconds of each other. prisons must be really unsafe nowadays!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

so do they mention anywhere in this 7 minute video that california isn't about to manufacture its own insulin, its about to give $50 million to a non-profit startup that wants to be a generic drug contract manufacturer whose entire drug manufacturing experience appears to be making a single antibiotic?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hope is one letter away from dope

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

shackleford posted:

so do they mention anywhere in this 7 minute video that california isn't about to manufacture its own insulin, its about to give $50 million to a non-profit startup that wants to be a generic drug contract manufacturer whose entire drug manufacturing experience appears to be making a single antibiotic?
Lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wow instead of paying 300 dollars a month for insulin, through startup diruption i will only need to pay a subscription fee of 299 a month

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i guess what im saying is that @jack had crazybob whacked

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They made like a billion different characters and once everyone had he-man and beastmaster and whatever it turned out no one wanted the no names and werent buying multiple hemens

the toys who made us episode on it is fascinating, both for how much they bombed with it and the guy responsible for creating heman

They should have done like barbie and instead of having a thousand different characters just make He Man With a Hat and He Man With a Different Sword

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i guess what im saying is that @jack had crazybob whacked

oh most definitely (allegedly)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that's how I feel tbh, it's loving insulting that guys like Warren Buffet pride themselves on being 'thrifty.' gently caress you! you just have all that money to have it, to sit in various accounts, and not use it to buy anything cool?

like jesus at least howard hughes actually flew fuckin planes

yeah they still do all of that poo poo but it's on private islands and hidden enclaves, they learned their lesson from the past that you keep the excesses of the rich out of sight of everyone else

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

shackleford posted:

why don't they just outsource it to a cheap overseas manufacturer?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mad Wack posted:

yeah they still do all of that poo poo but it's on private islands and hidden enclaves, they learned their lesson from the past that you keep the excesses of the rich out of sight of everyone else

Yeah Buffett is full of poo poo, this is about warding off guillotines

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mad Wack posted:

The rich kids of Instagram poo poo was a real eye opener to how much of a lie that thrifty simple life poo poo was, the kids party like their parents but don't have the shame to restrain themselves from posting literal receipts of $40000 champagne orders

These guys are the kind of people who bring thousands of dollars or wine to a dinner and then pay the restaurant hundreds of dollars to uncork the bottle and pour it into glasses

The luxury megayachts with permanent live-in staff that all these rich motherfuckers seem to own are the places where they are spending most of their disposable money and doing most of their depraved poo poo in international waters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Some interesting videos
Empires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivwIWgL_AV4
Wolff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6szCMhrSPM
Homelessness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv4KmOF4GEY
Hedges podcast and article
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1641415584121249793?t=y43-t_rXN1r32VweeMMQiQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1643459106726920193?t=xU7bGucpmAn5ShJ8X4_IIQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1641967241599000578?t=fmQxnk9yt9Be6BdrPxX5hQ&s=19

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

idk where else to ask this but if I liked the Moneyball movie and wanted to read about it more seriously what should I look for?

most current baseball analytics happens on blogs. teams will sometimes hire bloggers into their own analytics department. idk who the biggest bloggers are right now but fangraphs is probably the biggest site.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

most current baseball analytics happens on blogs. teams will sometimes hire bloggers into their own analytics department. idk who the biggest bloggers are right now but fangraphs is probably the biggest site.

The Pittsburgh Pirates had a job opening for an analytics software developer, I looked into it and they paid ~$50K lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Bill gates is one of the largest landowners in the country, he doesn't need an island. Also, his security detail is smart enough to get behind the camera for a photo op.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Ardennes posted:

Bill gates is one of the largest landowners in the country, he doesn't need an island. Also, his security detail is smart enough to get behind the camera for a photo op.

The only island he ever needed belonged to Epstein, I hear.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

sorry but can you explain why you think liberals would stop donating to planned parenthood for being anti-union?

leftists, yes. liberals are extremely anti-labor.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

i am now the joker *throws empty water bottle*:unsmigghh:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ardennes posted:

Bill gates is one of the largest landowners in the country, he doesn't need an island.

I mean, he does own an island though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bill Gates owns something like 200,000 acres of farmland in the US