Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m not even considering Exotic Focusing to be a factor in any of my processes in this game because from what it sounds like it’s only going to apply to Exotic engrams that drop randomly in the world. I think the last time that happened to me was like, eight months ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"gently caress you, we're not making it easier."

King poo poo, honestly.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

MJeff posted:

"gently caress you, we're not making it easier."

King poo poo, honestly.

Number went higher than ever, therefore your complaints are invalid!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

kings are frequently stupid as poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Bungie thinks more hours played == Happier players.
Therefore, cranking the difficulty == more hours played == more engagement and happier players.

In reality, making the difficulty higher just turns everything into a goddamn slog.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Double post cuz a new Wednesday pseudo-TWAB just hit https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/reflecting-on-lightfall

Feel free to clown on me if I'm wrong but I am really not digging the tone of "the changes we've shipped thus far are good enough and you won't be getting anything else," especially in regards to stuff like Lost Sectors and Neomuna patrol.

This is a fantastic not-twab. Tons of great news.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Their response to the LLS difficulty complaints was to barely tweak enemy HP and then say "go level up, stupid." I love it so much.

The stuff about making orbs easier to get was great too, it's such a pain in the rear end to have all of your healing tied up in collectibles and you die trying to get them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lol at “there was an activity in which you didn’t feel pressured at all times and that was a problem we had to fix”

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Bungie thinks more hours played == Happier players.
Therefore, cranking the difficulty == more hours played == more engagement and happier players.

In reality, making the difficulty higher just turns everything into a goddamn slog.

As much as I love this game, I inherently hate it on a fundamental level because it took live service and ran with it to be a showcase. Like, I want to play other games but this thing asks for all of my surprisingly limited time if I want to get and do everything in a season or week. I very much would actually prefer a big content dump that lets me both finish it at length at my own pace, as well as cram it all in frontloaded and then have a nice break or play things I want to.

Despite "don't play it if you don't like it" that doesn't apply for completionist or achievement tendencies. I want this season's title so I need to find people to drag me through at least three legendary avalon runs and playing just the normal run last night solo was a miserable two hour experience. The clan/discord makes it super easy to find people for it but I would much rather not do it at all.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

when playing my video games i really want to feel "unsafe and oppressed"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
vex strike force is pretty tolerable to solo if you're a starfire warlock, because the enemy density is high enough that ashes to ashes will get you another well of radiance before your current one ends.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The real cost to focus an exotic is gonna be a Cipher

You can get one a week from Xur so it doesn't really matter that the stack is 5

Unless I missed them say they're adding new sources?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zokari posted:

when playing my video games i really want to feel "unsafe and oppressed"

Do you generally play action games to feel safe and comforted?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The season track gives you one as well

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

MJeff posted:

Sometimes it's fun to do a power fantasy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's one or two in the pass I think. Which doesn't help much since the cap is one.

I think Rahool has one sitting there for me that I can't collect for whatever reason.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

No, but if I'm going to play with some kind of hosed up difficulty spike, I would at least like the option to choose to do so.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

wow, good point

I know when I play god of war I generally feel very weak and scared

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Even in actual "difficult" games players generally feel powerful and not scared of everything. Bungie is so far in their little bubble of 2014 they willingly misread interpret their data and try rear end backwards to justify everything they do.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SgtSteel91 posted:

The season track gives you one as well

Yeah it's pretty grim. They best be adding new sources unless they only intend for you to focus one exotic a week

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Does the cost matter when the source is random exotic engrams that drop once or twice a season?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

unless they only intend for you to focus one exotic a week

search your feelings. you know it to be true

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What difficulty are we complaining about again? Because the power curve isn't going to increase as seasons go on, and there are significant weapon buffs coming next season. So if legendary lost sectors are a problem now, they're going to be significantly less challenging as time goes on.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it's pretty grim. They best be adding new sources unless they only intend for you to focus one exotic a week

from what I understand you can only do the focus if you get a dropped exotic engram, and those drop randomly like once a week as well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

Games where you have to be “on” all the time are exhausting

Plus most action games let you achieve a plateau of mastery where through build or skill you’ve caused a noticeable reduction in the challenge and danger, and Bungie disabled this in the most arbitrary way possible (levels you gain after a certain point are meaningless)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

sunday at work posted:

Does the cost matter when the source is random exotic engrams that drop once or twice a season?

SgtSteel91 posted:

from what I understand you can only do the focus if you get a dropped exotic engram, and those drop randomly like once a week as well

I feel like they've been dropping more often than usual this season.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

But only like 10% of players actually want this game to be hard. I play Destiny as literal video game junk food. I'm not REALLY here for the challenge much. Just to shoot dudes with cool scifi guns and powers. I'll seek out the challenge like solo dungeons when I feel. As long as their idea of challenge is being critical health 95% of your playtime fighting tanky enemies that don't react to you shooting them then the game will become more and more un fun for a majority of players.

And no, I'm not really talking about myself. The only frustrating parts are Neomuna patrols and LLS's aka the power delta. The rest is manageable. Haven't played a Master nightfall yet cuz why would I but i'll see how that goes this weekend.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

sunday at work posted:

I get a pretty good thwack of 4-5 a week but that's definitely a result of play style. I wouldn't be surprised if everybody is limited by a different factor, now that I think about it! Solo Players won't have enough golf balls, people who only play a small slice of game modes won't have enough engrams, and Arete Players won't have enough ciphers!

If everybody is inconvenienced in a Different way, is that a sign of a good resource economy or bad resource economy? I don't even know!!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dont have enough glimmer

e: or enhancement cores

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I get a pretty good thwack of 4-5 a week but that's definitely a result of play style. I wouldn't be surprised if everybody is limited by a different factor, now that I think about it! Solo Players won't have enough golf balls, people who only play a small slice of game modes won't have enough engrams, and Arete Players won't have enough ciphers!

If everybody is inconvenienced in a Different way, is that a sign of a good resource economy or bad resource economy? I don't even know!!

The solution is to introduce another core resource.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

Games where you have to be “on” all the time are exhausting

Plus most action games let you achieve a plateau of mastery where through build or skill you’ve caused a noticeable reduction in the challenge and danger, and Bungie disabled this in the most arbitrary way possible (levels you gain after a certain point are meaningless)

Okay, but we're talking about one specific zone, not "all the time".

Also, the plateau Bungie seems to have in mind in the case of this zone is buildcrafting. They said it outright, they made Neomuna the way it is to encourage buildcrafting. They're clearly trying to go really hard on this idea of using difficulty to force players to learn how to engage with all the tools they have at their disposal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MJeff posted:

Also, the plateau Bungie seems to have in mind in the case of this zone is buildcrafting. They said it outright, they made Neomuna the way it is to encourage buildcrafting. They're clearly trying to go really hard on this idea of using difficulty to force players to learn how to engage with all the tools they have at their disposal.

The backbone of build-crafting is Surges & Overcharges which are inactive on Neomuna

They want Neomuna to be a slog

Mission success, but also who cares, Patrol Zones are dead after the expansion is released. When's the last time anyone checked in on Savathun's Throne World?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The backbone of build-crafting is Surges & Overcharges which are inactive on Neomuna

They want Neomuna to be a slog

Mission success, but also who cares, Patrol Zones are dead after the expansion is released. When's the last time anyone checked in on Savathun's Throne World?

When I was just doing WQ, I would see maybe 3 people there, at any given time.
Going great(?)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MJeff posted:

no one was avoiding, like, the cosmodrome because it was "too easy." people are actively deciding against knocking out banshee bounties or whatever on neomuna because killing even one red bar is a slog so why would you farm SMG kills there rather than anywhere else?

for A. new content that B. has public events that go more smoothly with more people, it seems like some bad planning to me!

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

RBX posted:

But only like 10% of players actually want this game to be hard. I play Destiny as literal video game junk food. I'm not REALLY here for the challenge much. Just to shoot dudes with cool scifi guns and powers. I'll seek out the challenge like solo dungeons when I feel. As long as their idea of challenge is being critical health 95% of your playtime fighting tanky enemies that don't react to you shooting them then the game will become more and more un fun for a majority of players.

And no, I'm not really talking about myself. The only frustrating parts are Neomuna patrols and LLS's aka the power delta. The rest is manageable. Haven't played a Master nightfall yet cuz why would I but i'll see how that goes this weekend.

This sums up my thoughts on the changes to challenge that have been made. I didn't play space wizard simulator for the challenge I played to have fun. Which they've managed to suck out of the game with these changes so I stopped playing. It's left me a bit miffed because between skimming twitter comments, r/DTG, this thread I don't recall a majority consensus that this game wasn't fun because it was too easy, I don't recall seeing ANY posts complain about challenge (day one RoN being the notable exception). I don't engage with streamer stuff whatsoever short of the odd esoterickk how to video, were they shouting for greater difficulty?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When's the last time anyone checked in on Savathun's Throne World?

I use it occasionally for doing gunsmith bounties or chill weapon leveling (GoA entrance for less-chill leveling).

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

rocket_Magnet posted:

This sums up my thoughts on the changes to challenge that have been made. I didn't play space wizard simulator for the challenge I played to have fun. Which they've managed to suck out of the game with these changes so I stopped playing. It's left me a bit miffed because between skimming twitter comments, r/DTG, this thread I don't recall a majority consensus that this game wasn't fun because it was too easy, I don't recall seeing ANY posts complain about challenge (day one RoN being the notable exception). I don't engage with streamer stuff whatsoever short of the odd esoterickk how to video, were they shouting for greater difficulty?

Most of those dipshits scream nonstop for greater difficulty.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Most of those dipshits scream nonstop for greater difficulty.

of course they do, the more exclusive a game is the more people will want to watch them

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The basically-confirmed leaked PowerPoint from Freezing Dart says the upcoming rotating Exotic mission will allow you “complete your Cipher faster” whatever that means (referring to Xenology quest from Xur maybe?) https://twitter.com/Bungie_Leaks/status/1643706366790385665

MJeff posted:

Encouraging buildcrafting by making patrols difficult is the stupidest loving thing I’ve ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Look, if you don't wanna be challenged, just go play the raid. :v: