Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
has reynal laid claim to anything yet? everything was written or created or done by someone else. "i was there that counts as work pay me"

oh gently caress terrible snipe:
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1643662924966133765?cxt=HHwWioCw0Ziuu88tAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Piell posted:

The sanctions hearing for Reynaul (Alex's Texas lawyer) is happening now, livestream is here

Currently on break until 1:45 central time. If you follow the above link it takes you to a video of the complete morning's arguments. I only listened to the last hour or so and if anything Morgan Stringer is underselling how bad Reynal's responses were.

Bankston getting Reynal's extravagant rate of pay on the record at the end was very nicely done imo

edit: aw dang, I must have got to it before they pulled down the recording. sorry guys

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 5, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Currently on break until 1:45 central time. If you follow the above link it takes you to a video of the complete morning's arguments. I only listened to the last hour or so and if anything Morgan Stringer is underselling how bad Reynal's responses were.

Bankston getting Reynal's extravagant rate of pay on the record at the end was very nicely done imo

God I fuckin missed this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KitConstantine posted:

The video was only available live, to avoid getting anyone's hopes up

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

edit: aw dang, I must have got to it before they pulled down the recording. sorry guys

Real Edit: Quote is not edit

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

teen witch posted:

God I fuckin missed this

:same:

So it's opening back up at 1:45 central?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

we're back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F908RjCmijU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I know that it's never going to happen because like doctors the bar basically never strips a license, but either of these would be ground for possible losing the ability to practice wouldn't it?

This is generally one of the few reasons someone may actually get a license stripped.

You can be a bad attorney. You can go on massive benders. But you don't intentionally gently caress with money and charge clients for services you didn't provide. Bankston is making the case about taking advantage of the estate and money because he knows that is what will get Reynal suspended or stripped.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 5, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
forgetting the apostrophe to make "defendants" possessive 17 times.
he's literally pointing to mistakes on every single page.

i love that the citation for "it was an unfair trial" is dadario testifying that she thinks the trial is staged

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
My citation is that Alexander said it's a first amendment issue!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Just for reference... sanction hearings never, ever go like this. Generally they are short and very fact based. This is potentially more insane than the trial itself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1643695204254220289

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh my god, Bankston is walking them through how the record of a case works and evidence/discovery. This is just so loving embarrassing.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
"the quotation is accurate except for that one part"

"That's not accurate then!"
-da judge

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
man this is so loving funny to watch as someone that's currently in law school and taking legal writing and poo poo

edit: lmao the BLOG jesus christ

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Jesus Christ, this section is so bad. No citation and also they transposed the motion with a quotation.

Edit: Oh my god, it is a blog from a random dude.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

It seems bad to paste an article supporting your brief but the part of the article supporting your brief is just a copy/paste of your own argument in the middle of a barely-related blog

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Christ dude

You cited a loving blog take the L

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Jesus Christ He's just stunting on him now.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
As someone in the legal field this is amazing. We poo poo ourselves if a comma is out of place.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So at this point, is it just the "Stop it, stop it, he's already dead!" meme? God drat I hope this is available to watch after work...

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Scipiotik posted:

As someone in the legal field this is amazing. We poo poo ourselves if a comma is out of place.

When I was still practicing, I could not imagine even having one of these issues in my briefs. So much of this is CivPro 1 and 2. Just basic fundamental poo poo.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Scipiotik posted:

i know I'm loving poring over papers looking for 5 ids in a row or id. as the first on a page or punctuation outside a quotation mark instead of inside and this guy is turning in this poo poo lmao

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Stefan Prodan posted:

i know I'm loving poring over papers looking for 5 ids in a row or id. as the first on a page or punctuation outside a quotation mark instead of inside and this guy is turning in this poo poo lmao

Sounds like you should just put "..." and say yolo from now on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

From the way y’all talk, Shao Khan has already announced “FLAWLESS VICTORY” and “BRUTALITY”, and yet the beating continues.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

From the way y’all talk, Shao Khan has already announced “FLAWLESS VICTORY” and “BRUTALITY”, and yet the beating continues.

Yeah, well, he's earned this poo poo. Let the beating go on.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've never seen a motion for sanctions with more than a handful of items in it. ~50 is loving insane. I've also never seen a hearing on sanctions where the the defending attorney has no coherent argument against each line item.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Saltpowered posted:

Sounds like you should just put "..." and say yolo from now on.

just gonna put "Saltpowered, The Something Awful Forums, ...." as a cite when I justify this

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I’m sad you called me a first year law student after filing a brief filled typos and a random blog from 2006

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Saltpowered posted:

I've never seen a motion for sanctions with more than a handful of items in it. ~50 is loving insane. I've also never seen a hearing on sanctions where the the defending attorney has no coherent argument against each line item.

So what's going to happen to him? Does something matter here?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
No he stopped kicking him!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Outrail posted:

So what's going to happen to him? Does something matter here?

I honestly cannot envision a situation where they don't get a stack of sanctions for this motion alone. This isn't a situation where the judge is going to say "this sucks, go revise it and bring it back."

Getting Martin to admit on record that he stands by the entire motion was good. He should have express some sort of remorse for the conduct and admitted it was a bad motion.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Saltpowered posted:

I mean the one coherent argument I thought he was making was just "We aren't saying that the law is that these judgments should be counted as liabilities, we're just arguing that it should be" and therefore if they're just making an argument, then it really doesn't matter if they cite a blog because the only point is just to make an argument and anyone can do that

That part I did follow, I don't know if he actually did that in his brief but if that's what they were attempting to do even though it was unlikely to work I guess at least it made sense to me

doesn't excuse uhh anything else that was going on like not even citing the blog properly though or pasting in your own rhetoric into the quote lmao

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I could never be a lawyer because I would cry if opposing counsel was mean to me.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Saltpowered posted:

I honestly cannot envision a situation where they don't get a stack of sanctions for this motion alone. This isn't a situation where the judge is going to say "this sucks, go revise it and bring it back."

Getting Martin to admit on record that he stands by the entire motion was good. He should have express some sort of remorse for the conduct and admitted it was a bad motion.
yeah ending with Martin going "I stand by every statement made in this motion" was solid gold after walking him through some of the misleading and groundless statements

it was great when he blamed the secretary, the head of appellate, and a partner for issues earlier too

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
it's like watching a law class
*click click* and what's wrong on THIS slide?

edit: lol though i don't think law classes go over basic punctuation?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think maybe this lawyer isn't very good.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

it's like watching a law class
*click click* and what's wrong on THIS slide?

edit: lol though i don't think law classes go over basic punctuation?

in my experience they assume you know that and go over really annoying stuff like saying "which" when you should say "that," punctuation inside quotes, citation, when to spell out numbers as words, poo poo like that

I mean obviously there's stuff on what to actually write but I mean in terms of grammar or spelling or whatever

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet legal eagle will do a video on this and it will be very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean the one coherent argument I thought he was making was just "We aren't saying that the law is that these judgments should be counted as liabilities, we're just arguing that it should be" and therefore if they're just making an argument, then it really doesn't matter if they cite a blog because the only point is just to make an argument and anyone can do that

That part I did follow, I don't know if he actually did that in his brief but if that's what they were attempting to do even though it was unlikely to work I guess at least it made sense to me

I don’t think Martin knows whether he did that in his brief either. He clearly farmed all the out to others and did absolutely no review even before this hearing. He’s just so offended that someone would come after a lawyer of his caliber and standing that he couldn’t be bothered to look at the facts.