Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hey guys Destiny 2 is not that hard and frankly, it did need a difficulty increase. It's still a solidly casual experience and with a proper buildcraft (which they are pushing players to do engage in and is easier than ever with loadouts) the difficulty increase outside some overtuned content may as well been an academic exercise. I'm actually right there with you the idea that sometimes I just want to relax and have a gaming burger. And Destiny still easily allows that.

They went too far and balanced it poorly is the actual issue. Use a bow or a SMG in content you find difficult and you'll be surprised at how fast stuff dies. The rest of our weapons are getting tuned up to their level by next season as well as some underused exotics.

So yeah. It's a good thing to get pushed out of comfort zones sometimes. You'll find a new comfort zone level as you improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nobody asked for it.

MJeff posted:

Okay, but we're talking about one specific zone, not "all the time".

Also, the plateau Bungie seems to have in mind in the case of this zone is buildcrafting. They said it outright, they made Neomuna the way it is to encourage buildcrafting. They're clearly trying to go really hard on this idea of using difficulty to force players to learn how to engage with all the tools they have at their disposal.

Then why is it still annoying for everybody? You act like people dont have good builds and are still finding that patrol dumb.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBX posted:

Nobody asked for it.

Then why is it still annoying for everybody? You act like people dont have good builds and are still finding that patrol dumb.

Nobody asked for it, orrrr, you didn't ask for it?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

*killing things in a patrol area*

goddamnit i wish this was way more of a slog, if only destiny 2 was pushing me to be a better person right now

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Shadowkeep: I don't like how the artifact forces me to use a specific gun against Champions

Beyond Light & Witch Queen: OK at least I have a lot of good options, but Champions are in way too much content now

Lightfall: Use a Strand subclass and an exotic Bow or your red bars will have more hit points than God

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

RBX posted:

Nobody asked for it.

No, people did. They just didn't understand what they were asking for. Everyone has done "The Corrupted" strike and everyone has a story of the blueberry who doesn't understand how the throwing charges work and just makes the entire experience significantly harder for other players. Especially on harder difficulties. Or the nightfall where nobody has champion counters.

It's because the game allowed incredibly passive play in the lower difficulty bands that didn't encourage getting better or creating milestones of improvement for so long is the reason that happens. I think people will be completely surprised at general skill levels once in-game groupfinding is put into the game in the final season.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

lmfao yeah these people who apparently have spent years not improving are suddenly going to become super competent instead of just quitting

absolutely delusional

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Zokari posted:

lmfao yeah these people who apparently have spent years not improving are suddenly going to become super competent instead of just quitting

absolutely delusional

Turns out if you force people to do a thing, most of them end up hating the thing?
Weird.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lightfall: Use a Strand subclass and an exotic Bow or your red bars will have more hit points than God

I can't believe you've betrayed the Firebolts like this.

Zokari posted:

absolutely delusional

That would work for me just fine, but Bungie was crowing so much about the numbers, I don't think that's happening.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hey guys Destiny 2 is not that hard and frankly, it did need a difficulty increase. It's still a solidly casual experience and with a proper buildcraft (which they are pushing players to do engage in and is easier than ever with loadouts) the difficulty increase outside some overtuned content may as well been an academic exercise. I'm actually right there with you the idea that sometimes I just want to relax and have a gaming burger. And Destiny still easily allows that.

They went too far and balanced it poorly is the actual issue. Use a bow or a SMG in content you find difficult and you'll be surprised at how fast stuff dies. The rest of our weapons are getting tuned up to their level by next season as well as some underused exotics.

So yeah. It's a good thing to get pushed out of comfort zones sometimes. You'll find a new comfort zone level as you improve.

What if I told you I don’t want to be pushed out of my comfort zone in a video game.

I want to be in a triple comfort zone.

I understand other people may want to be challenged. So make harder content for those people (oh wait they already did that), but leave the base game alone.

It’s not a casual experience if you can’t engage the content without optimal weapons and load outs

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If they want to copy the most successful MMO of our time, FF14, then there's a lot to be said for letting the game be very, very easy. I don't want that personally, but the evidence from years of success from ff14 is overwhelming.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

*bungie looking at all the people playing their game who aren't very good at it and just getting angrier and angrier*

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

absolutely delusional

Kinda surprised someone is legitimately this upset at conflicting opinions. I suggest trying out other weapons than what you're used to. I'm actually in the camp that Neomuna can be a slog as an example- but I think this is mostly a problem of weapon balance than design of the space itself.

No, challenge and self improvement is actually what drives people to play games in general actually. Especially RPG's. Destiny's issue with challenge is one of balance and rewards. The lower tiers are unbalanced and the difficulty progression got upended and the higher tier doesn't offer rewards commensurate with it's difficulty spike.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kinda surprised someone is legitimately this upset at conflicting opinions.

What website do you think you're on lmao

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chappy posted:

It’s not a casual experience if you can’t engage the content without optimal weapons and load outs

I absolutely agree. I said so in the post you're quoting. However Destiny is still a pretty casual experience. You can still use sub-optimal builds and weapons in all the content pretty successfully. I went through the entire legendary campaign with a weapon bugged to do 40% less damage and found it pretty reasonably difficult and only learned about the bug after completing it. There were kills of Nezarac with Rat King in Challenge mode as an example.

Being encouraged into the buildcrafting experience is legitimately healthy for the game. And as I said- with a reasonable build any difficulty increase in (not overtuned) content has been mostly academic, especially after the recent rebalance.

quote:

What website do you think you're on lmao

...Touche.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
update from dad tier iron banner. Switched to Jotunn and absolutely murdered. You just shoot down a sight line and somebody dies. Sometimes two people. It just works

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I felt like I should stop using it because I didn't want matchmaking to decide I was actually good

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

What's the point of buildcrafting if bungo consistently tunes content to require only the best and most optimal of builds?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kinda surprised someone is legitimately this upset at conflicting opinions. I suggest trying out other weapons than what you're used to. I'm actually in the camp that Neomuna can be a slog as an example- but I think this is mostly a problem of weapon balance than design of the space itself.

No, challenge and self improvement is actually what drives people to play games in general actually. Especially RPG's. Destiny's issue with challenge is one of balance and rewards. The lower tiers are unbalanced and the difficulty progression got upended and the higher tier doesn't offer rewards commensurate with it's difficulty spike.

"Why does my friend keep using breakneck, doesn't he know that's old news?"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’m glad they’re adding the “elemental shard gives armor charge” mod

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

So I've been filling out exotic collections on other classes lately, which means I got to enjoy the uniquely silly experience of doing a neomuna lost sector at patrol difficulty (fixed -15), and then following it up with the legendary version (1830), and finding the patrol zone version to be more of a slog.
I've mostly enjoyed the bump in difficulty, but there's a real lack of a good *current* place to have a chill time doing bounties and events because of just how severe the level gap is in neomuna patrol, nevermind how wildly inconsistent the difficulty is from activity to activity.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lexorin posted:

What's the point of buildcrafting if bungo consistently tunes content to require only the best and most optimal of builds?

So that people will buildcraft!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’m glad they’re adding the “elemental shard gives armor charge” mod

Poor Stasis :negative: They have to dedicate a mod & also a whole entire Aspect to it

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't play destiny for challenge or self improvement, I just wanna be a Space Wizard and collect doodads to make my brain feel good

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
When are those weapon dmg passes getting done though, it seemed like they were talking about them as if it was gunna be this week, but there's been zero mention of them since. I want my ARs back bungo :argh:

E) also you're mental if you think just making standard patrol zone enemies spongier and more of a slog is really gonna encourage more buildcrafting and engaging with mechanics.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 5, 2023

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
destiny is about as far as you can get from self improvement before you arrive at heroin lmao

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

destiny is about as far as you can get from self improvement before you arrive at heroin lmao

Destiny will not teach me how to find veins.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Destiny will not teach me how to find veins.

They're called ley lines

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Goddammit, I really genuinely love Destiny 2, but loving bungie is just the biggest group of idiots. I wish they'ed hire or listen to someone who isn't a demi-god at playing this game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Some of the sheer hostility some of y'all have is far worse and more exhausting than any 'elitist' sentiment I've ever seen tbh

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
every time I boot up destiny I ask myself is the game about bars going up or is it about something more

it's definitely about bars going up

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No, challenge and self improvement is actually what drives people to play games in general actually.

No, people generally play games for fun. Nintendogs outsold Elden Ring. Challenge is fine but if you're gonna provide matchmaking things you gotta aim low. I can get better, it appears the randos I get paired with in heroic nightfalls cannot or at least not consistently.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

"Self improvement" doesn't mean you're playing the game to become a better person. The light level grind or item level grinds are examples of "self improvement". RPGs generally get that dopamine hit on progression systems with levels, gear, etc.

fast cars loose anus posted:

No, people generally play games for fun. Nintendogs outsold Elden Ring. Challenge is fine but if you're gonna provide matchmaking things you gotta aim low. I can get better, it appears the randos I get paired with in heroic nightfalls cannot or at least not consistently.

This isn't remotely a comparable thing. Nintendogs is a pet raising simulator. Elden Ring is an action RPG. There is...a bit of a different audience and general gameplay. Conversely, Elden Ring shows that steady progression of difficulty and gameplay that rewards outside the box thinking and exploration is actually really popular.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

rocket_Magnet posted:

I don't engage with streamer stuff whatsoever short of the odd esoterickk how to video, were they shouting for greater difficulty?

Come on. You know the answer to this

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The light level grind or item level grinds are examples of "self improvement".

what

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"Self improvement" doesn't mean you're playing the game to become a better person. The light level grind or item level grinds are examples of "self improvement". RPGs generally get that dopamine hit on progression systems with levels, gear, etc.

This isn't remotely a comparable thing. Nintendogs is a pet raising simulator. Elden Ring is an action RPG. There is...a bit of a different audience and general gameplay. Conversely, Elden Ring shows that steady progression of difficulty and gameplay that rewards outside the box thinking and exploration is actually really popular.

And Destiny is a shooter that used to have a nice easy set of modes that these arrogant idiots took away from us. The point being, no, most people don't play games to be challenged, we play them to HAVE FUN and when a previously fun game is made way more annoying and difficult, you should not be surprised when that provokes a negative reaction!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

rocket_Magnet posted:

This sums up my thoughts on the changes to challenge that have been made. I didn't play space wizard simulator for the challenge I played to have fun. Which they've managed to suck out of the game with these changes so I stopped playing. It's left me a bit miffed because between skimming twitter comments, r/DTG, this thread I don't recall a majority consensus that this game wasn't fun because it was too easy, I don't recall seeing ANY posts complain about challenge (day one RoN being the notable exception). I don't engage with streamer stuff whatsoever short of the odd esoterickk how to video, were they shouting for greater difficulty?

Oh yes they were. They need to feed their egos and have something to gatekeep or else why would anybody give a gently caress about what they think. And actually I agree for vets they needed a real challenge but infiltrating that challenge in every facet of the game was horrible. It's not even real challenge just artificial challenge. Which is all Bungie knows how to do since day 1. Which is why I never look to their games for a challenge.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I find it's more helpful to try to prove someone wrong if you want to get your point across?

quote:

The point being, no, most people don't play games to be challenged, we play them to HAVE FUN and when a previously fun game is made way more annoying and difficult, you should not be surprised when that provokes a negative reaction!

Yep I agree. Infact...

Holy poo poo a post with nuance? Seemingly contradictory points that under further examination aren't really?! posted:

Anyway I've banged this drum long enough. Game needed to be slightly harder. We got that. Now we just need significantly better rewards. The difficulty of a legendary lost sector compared to the rewards is absolutely ridiculously skewed.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 6, 2023

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'd gladly put up with RoN enemies being a little tankier if we also got the launchers to work correctly all the time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's lame that Destiny's new difficulty is just a puzzle solved in orbit, IMHO. "We gave the enemies 50% more health so you'd have to use the guns that do 25% more damage in that activity" is not something you actually engage with, in the actual gameplay experience

Like it reminds me of Octopath Traveler where a boss kicks your butt because you didn't have Daggers equipped and his only weakness was Daggers

But then you give everybody Daggers

And then you win it really easily because you had Daggers

We tried to do a master raid using our normal raid loadouts and it was really hard

But then everybody ran the Curated Selection of Surge/Overcharge Weapons and it was really easy

Woohoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

RBX posted:

Oh yes they were. They need to feed their egos and have something to gatekeep or else why would anybody give a gently caress about what they think. And actually I agree for vets they needed a real challenge but infiltrating that challenge in every facet of the game was horrible. It's not even real challenge just artificial challenge. Which is all Bungie knows how to do since day 1. Which is why I never look to their games for a challenge.

Amen on the artificial challenge. Does Neomuna patrol have interesting design and new mechanics? Nope, just a bunch of bullet sponge enemies half of which can two tap you. I suppose we’re lucky they didn’t nerf ability regen on patrol to really up the challenge.