Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wonder if anyone has tried weaving thin, flexible solar panels into their outerwear to charge small batteries to heat the inside of their suits. For that matter I wonder if any of that is even possible or practical yet.

This'll probably be a reality within a decade or two, and solo baaecamp-peak-basecamp endurance runs will become a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, I sorta knew this and I'm articulating it wrong, but I guess I just meant 'like, a lot more.' You're right about it being more of a gradient than a hard line. I guess what I'm asking is more; is Everest's altitude anywhere close to the physical limit where you just can't even breathe at all, and are there other factors that would make a mountain theoretically unclimbable?

Like ante said, past 8000 meters is the death zone. Beyond that point, your body starts dying. You can breathe, but you are using more oxygen than you can breathe in. Your body stops digesting food because it needs what energy it would have used to do that to just stay alive. When people get into the death zone, they slowly turn into a zombie and just hope that they can shuffle back down below the death zone alive. So in order for a mountain to be unclimbable, it would need to be tall enough that you can't physically walk to the summit and back before your body just gives up in the death zone.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

from the wikipedia article on pressure suits

quote:

The region from sea level to around 3,000 m (10,000 ft) is known as the physiological-efficient zone. Oxygen levels are usually high enough for humans to function without supplemental oxygen and decompression sickness is rare.
The physiological-deficient zone extends from 3,600 m (12,000 ft) to about 15,000 m (50,000 ft). There is an increased risk of problems such as hypoxia, trapped-gas dysbarism (where gas trapped in the body expands), and evolved-gas dysbarism (where dissolved gases such as nitrogen may form in the tissues, i.e. decompression sickness).[1] Above approximately 10,000 m (33,000 ft) oxygen-rich breathing mixture is required to approximate the oxygen available in the lower atmosphere, while above 12,000 m (40,000 ft) oxygen must be under positive pressure. Above 15,000 m (49,000 ft), respiration is not possible because the pressure at which the lungs excrete carbon dioxide (approximately 87 mmHg) exceeds outside air pressure. Above 19,000 m (62,000 ft), also known as the Armstrong limit, fluids in the throat and lungs will boil away. Generally, 100% oxygen is used to maintain an equivalent altitude of 3,000 m (10,000 ft).

i don't know enough about the current state of space activity suits and all that to have an opinion on when rich people will start using them to climb mountains, but they'll definitely start doing it. i'll be curious to see how much the non-suit-users look down on the suit-users. the main thing i hope is that the sherpas get suits.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wonder if anyone has tried weaving thin, flexible solar panels into their outerwear to charge small batteries to heat the inside of their suits. For that matter I wonder if any of that is even possible or practical yet.

No.

Or, at least, solar panels won't do anything. Sun directly heating you is 100% efficient already. Batteries that are just big enough to heat you for a couple days probably already exist. But I don't think heating is much of an issue. Those huge survival suits seem to be fine, as long as you don't try to sleep out in the open.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And to answer the whole "barely climbable" thing, the limit probably isn't that much further. A mountain that was 9,500m high, even if it was as technically easy to climb as Everest is, would be unclimbable for >99% of human beings. The extra effort and time required in the death zone would render it essentially impossible.

Even Everest is probably unattainable for >95% of people without the use of supplemental oxygen.

ante posted:

No.
Or, at least, solar panels won't do anything. Sun directly heating you is 100% efficient already. Batteries that are just big enough to heat you for a couple days probably already exist. But I don't think heating is much of an issue. Those huge survival suits seem to be fine, as long as you don't try to sleep out in the open.

Yeah I don't really think the cold is what's killing too many people. Staying out overnight is survivable in the suits they wear, but the time spent being hypoxic is what gets you, and would do so even if you were warm.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 5, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Eat a bunch of beans the day before and your farts will keep your suit warm.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Finding Michael on Hulu is a good watch for Everest sickos. Made the whole climb look incredibly grueling and unrewarding.

And that even before they start looking for bodies.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Outrail posted:

This'll probably be a reality within a decade or two, and solo baaecamp-peak-basecamp endurance runs will become a thing.

Not Everest but here is Kilian Jornet on his record summit of the Matterhorn and back

https://youtu.be/vAeHysSVMUk

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017
I enjoyed a short scifi story about being the first to climb a 60k+ peak on some far off world. It doesnt seem to be trying for accuracy but has some of these ideas, being way past where you can survive.
https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/walk-nameless-ridge/

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beef Head posted:

I enjoyed a short scifi story about being the first to climb a 60k+ peak on some far off world. It doesnt seem to be trying for accuracy but has some of these ideas, being way past where you can survive.
https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/walk-nameless-ridge/

I like the narrated by stupid boomer who loathes stupid boomers especially himself

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The great tragedy of Everest is not that it's so hard to get up, but that it's just slightly not hard enough. If it were just a bit more technical of a climb, tourists with no climbing experience would just not be able to manage it at all, and the death toll would be hundreds of people fewer.

K2 is only a tiny bit taller but nobody can climb it without years of high altitude technical climbing experience. So even though it's also more deadly per attempt, far fewer people have died climbing it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The great tragedy of Everest is not that it's so hard to get up, but that it's just slightly not hard enough. If it were just a bit more technical of a climb, tourists with no climbing experience would just not be able to manage it at all, and the death toll would be hundreds of people fewer.

K2 is only a tiny bit taller but nobody can climb it without years of high altitude technical climbing experience. So even though it's also more deadly per attempt, far fewer people have died climbing it.

K2 is actually shorter than Everest, but it's far more dangerous to climb.

Also the name K2 sounds dangerous and forbidding on its own, it's not a "natural" name for a place, since they never gave it a name beyond its survey designation (Karakoram 2), which drives down tourist interest in the mountain.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 5, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

Tragedy?

Everest is to upper management as wolves are to the caribou herd.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

If K2 was the tallest mountain all the dipshit CEO amateur climbers would attempt to climb that instead, and the problem would solve itself rather quickly.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ante posted:

No.

Even with the suits and direct sun, don't we still hear about frostbite even to covered parts of the body?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

That's obviously incorrect. The prime reason there's far fewer attempts on K2 isn't the technical side, it's that it's not the tallest.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

That's obviously incorrect. The prime reason there's far fewer attempts on K2 isn't the technical side, it's that it's not the tallest.

And the logistics to actually get there

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

There would be far fewer attempts on Everest but probably not an equal increase of attempts on K2. People are pretty reckless but a two-thirds chance of making it to the top and a 1% chance of dying is way different than a 30% and a 15% (which ofc would shoot way up) chance of dying.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY46GnlWKqU

enjoy some chill K2 hiking vibes

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

K2 requires actual climbing skills compared to just being a very difficult hike effectively.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

K2 requires actual climbing skills compared to just being a very difficult hike effectively.

Dude made it look like a chill jaunt to the summit though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We need a supervillain to grind off the top of Everest so K2 is the tallest.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Facebook Aunt posted:

I was literally going to post something similar earlier: how many cruise missile strikes would it take to dethrone Everest? And, maybe unrelated to height but didn't that earthquake a few years back drastically change some of the ascent, like the Hilary Step is gone now or something?

And again, I'm probably articulating the question poorly but how much of that "just a very difficult hike" thing is retroactively due to Everest's popularity? The tourism and attempts have only gone up every decade so I wonder if the local government undertook significant effort to make parts of the mountain at least somewhat accessible?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

K2 requires massive technical skill and then there's a 1 in 6 chance the mountain decides to just murk you anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

I was literally going to post something similar earlier: how many cruise missile strikes would it take to dethrone Everest?

They do this in The Years of Rice and Salt. Well, not cruise missiles. Tube artillery.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Facebook Aunt posted:

Villain?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ll bring the dynamite

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I meant to type "shorter" honestly lol

But yeah it's not just that K2 is not the tallest, it's also much harder to get to and much much much much harder to climb. You cannot summit K2 if you haven't got years of experience with technical high altitude climbing. There's no way sherpas are setting up ropes and oxygen bottles for you so you can just walk. Look how bad poo poo gets on Everest when the climbers have to deal with the Hillary Step, which requires you to actually climb. Now imagine several thousand meters of that. It's not possible.

Instead of blowing the top off everest, could we like, steepen it? Crack some sides off it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Attack and dethrone God Everest

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hell no, we need a mad scientist to make it (either Everest or K2 really) 500m taller

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Put K2 on top of Everest

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I meant to type "shorter" honestly lol

But yeah it's not just that K2 is not the tallest, it's also much harder to get to and much much much much harder to climb. You cannot summit K2 if you haven't got years of experience with technical high altitude climbing. There's no way sherpas are setting up ropes and oxygen bottles for you so you can just walk. Look how bad poo poo gets on Everest when the climbers have to deal with the Hillary Step, which requires you to actually climb. Now imagine several thousand meters of that. It's not possible.

Instead of blowing the top off everest, could we like, steepen it? Crack some sides off it.

The Black Pyramid and the Bottleneck are really the worst parts of K2 and I think its only about 1000 meters of 60 degree incline together between them. Still, 60 degree slope is so steep you're hanging on your fixed ropes and only moving up with your ascent device/ice axe for an entire kilometer of mountainside.

Most of the rest can be done freely or with climbing poles

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Outrail posted:

Put K2 on top of Everest

Break off Everest and drop it into the Marianas trench if you want to be a supervillain

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, I sorta knew this and I'm articulating it wrong, but I guess I just meant 'like, a lot more.' You're right about it being more of a gradient than a hard line. I guess what I'm asking is more; is Everest's altitude anywhere close to the physical limit where you just can't even breathe at all, and are there other factors that would make a mountain theoretically unclimbable?

Everest is also close to the physical limits of how high mountains can reach on this planet.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure I've posted this before but Alan Arnette's blog about climbing K2 is excellent and really makes you realise how loving hard it is. The summit push and descent report are really well written and I feel exhausted just reading it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Platystemon posted:

Everest is also close to the physical limits of how high mountains can reach on this planet.

This might be what I was misremembering, can you elaborate on why that is? Mountains are formed from tectonic plates being pushed up, right? Is it because of the thickness of the plate?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Strength of the rock itself I'd imagine

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mister Speaker posted:

This might be what I was misremembering, can you elaborate on why that is? Mountains are formed from tectonic plates being pushed up, right? Is it because of the thickness of the plate?

Gravity pulls the mountain back down

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just drill down the length of it and install an elevator smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

PittTheElder posted:

Hell no, we need a mad scientist to make it (either Everest or K2 really) 500m taller

We need a mad scientist to make it sentient.