Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/AlannaVagianos/status/1643658074354327552?s=20
Does North Carolina have a recall system for representatives?

Sorry if its already been addressed, but is there anyone from the area who can give some insight on what this is all about? The first stories I saw about this say she reps a pretty liberal area and has been aligned with pro-choice causes in the past. What specifically is her angle here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Jaxyon posted:

At my age I prefer the mildly euphoric feeling from getting a buzz to getting extremely drunk.

However, many people are medicating various issues, most often untreated depression.

For most you should probably be vaping weed it's much healthier but it's a no-go if you've got anxiety.

I'd say try weed (with folks you trust around to help you if it goes weong) for anxiety anyway. My girlfriend has a nasty case of it but poo poo melts away after a bong rip.

I wouldn't say it's a no-go; I'd say it's more of a proceed with caution.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
North Carolina lawmaker officially leaves Dems for GOP, says turning point was American flag criticism

Fox News posted:

Democrats have been "blasting me on Twitter to calling me names, coming after my family, coming after my children," continued Cotham. "That is wrong." She added that a woman cursed her out at a store while she was shopping with her son.

If that’s the best she can do for her stated “justification” then my best guesses for her “angle” are TBI, sack with a dollar sign on it, and blackmail, in that order.

“Democrats were mean to me about a flag pin! That means we should throw abortion providers in prison, right?”

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Being called names on Twitter well guess what? I’m going to take away your abortion rights!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone showed up with a dump truck full of money to her house, that’s all this is

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mellow Seas posted:

North Carolina lawmaker officially leaves Dems for GOP, says turning point was American flag criticism

If that’s the best she can do for her stated “justification” then my best guesses for her “angle” are TBI, sack with a dollar sign on it, and blackmail, in that order.

“Democrats were mean to me about a flag pin! That means we should throw abortion providers in prison, right?”

Someone took the "abortions of some, mini flag pins for others" very literally.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have no idea what is up with her, but she says she first started to think about switching parties because people in the Democratic party keep yelling at her for missing votes and the "Women in the House Caucus" was bullying her with gossip and rumors.

quote:

She described a pattern of bullying at the hands of her colleagues. “Women in the House caucus,” she said, had “started vicious rumors that are very hypocritical of other stances that they make.” She also said that “interest groups and lobbying groups that are aligned with the Democrat Party have directly sent messages to my 12-year-old son” and recalled an incident where a woman loudly criticized Ms. Cotham and her son while shopping at Target.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Funny, usually when you have a workplace you don't like you quit, you don't become a fascist.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Decon posted:

I'd say try weed (with folks you trust around to help you if it goes weong) for anxiety anyway. My girlfriend has a nasty case of it but poo poo melts away after a bong rip.

I wouldn't say it's a no-go; I'd say it's more of a proceed with caution.
You can get vape cartridges and flower with like >10:1 CBD:THC ratios. In my experience, that works pretty well for anxiety in situations where more THC would be a horrible idea. Also good for sleep (THC can help some people sleep, but it does interfere with REM).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Aegis posted:

Sorry if its already been addressed, but is there anyone from the area who can give some insight on what this is all about? The first stories I saw about this say she reps a pretty liberal area and has been aligned with pro-choice causes in the past. What specifically is her angle here?

There are, um, rumors she is in a relationship with the speaker of the house. I mean it makes more sense than her own justifications as to her sudden extreme shift rightwards.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im sure switching parties will resolve being heckled in public and keep lobbyists from calling your family

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1643664627849363479?s=20

At least this is excellent news, and hopefully Whitmer feels she can go national some day.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone showed up with a dump truck full of money to her house, that’s all this is

…while loud-whispering, “Hey, wanna be the center of political attention and powerful policy kingpin everyone wants to get with?”

If all you have to do is flip one Dem, you’ll inevitably find at least one only barely subclinically narcissistic squeaky wheel asking to be pushed into the spotlight à la Sinema, any cash that appears is just to grease said wheel’s descent into “look what you made me do”-ism.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have no idea what is up with her, but she says she first started to think about switching parties because people in the Democratic party keep yelling at her for missing votes and the "Women in the House Caucus" was bullying her with gossip and rumors.

Wait, so her reason for switching teams (and changing her beliefs, apparently) is because she was told she needs to do her job and because the Mean Girls started talking about her? What is this, high school?

Bye Felicia Tricia.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Velocity Raptor posted:

Wait, so her reason for switching teams (and changing her beliefs, apparently) is because she was told she needs to do her job and because the Mean Girls started talking about her? What is this, high school?

Bye Felicia Tricia.

If this is true:

Youth Decay posted:

There are, um, rumors she is in a relationship with the speaker of the house. I mean it makes more sense than her own justifications as to her sudden extreme shift rightwards.

Then, it does kind of give this more context:

quote:

“Women in the House caucus,” she said, had “started vicious rumors that are very hypocritical of other stances that they make.”

Nobody seems to know for sure. But, her mom is a DNC member and she was incredibly pro-choice from a deep blue area, so it doesn't make any sense ideologically. Maybe there is some job/appointment lined up? But, the Governor is a Democrat, so that doesn't make much sense. Also, she needs to stay in office for her switch to mean anything.

There's definitely something deeper at play here, but there isn't really a financial or ideological angle to it that is public right now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly, not that weird to me but I also assume most politics are petty interpersonal fights that lead to outcomes like banning abortion. She wants to hurt people for perceived slights and joined the team that let's her do that. My experience with politics and politicians is that yeah, this is how a lot of the decisions actually happen. It's weird petty personal stuff.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly, not that weird to me but I also assume most politics are petty interpersonal fights that lead to outcomes like banning abortion. She wants to hurt people for perceived slights and joined the team that let's her do that. My experience with politics and politicians is that yeah, this is how a lot of the decisions actually happen. It's weird petty personal stuff.

This is how it came off to me too. My niece (and rest of my family) is in NC so this really sucks.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Another turncoat Democrat

https://twitter.com/Davis_Hammet/st...ingawful.com%2F

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't really say that I am too surprised that democrats are breaking to kill trans rights. A lot of otherwise blue voters are deeply uncomfortable with the idea of trans people, because they're stupid cowards giving lip service to equality.

But to actually break from your party to do that when otherwise acting in step with them, that's some bizarre calculus outside of, as was said above, an outright bribe as they walk out the door.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can't really say that I am too surprised that democrats are breaking to kill trans rights. A lot of otherwise blue voters are deeply uncomfortable with the idea of trans people, because they're stupid cowards giving lip service to equality.

But to actually break from your party to do that when otherwise acting in step with them, that's some bizarre calculus outside of, as was said above, an outright bribe as they walk out the door.

Why are you talking about my ex-wife? She's voted Democrat for the 3 decades I've known her but says awful things about trans people.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If Millenials/Gen Z have the ability to put money into retirement, I'm not sure why it would be surprising that they are. The other option is "work til you die" because the concept of social security is going to be dead unless a *massive* reinvestment plan is put into place within 20 years.

Younger people don't have more faith in the markets, they just don't have any other choice if they ever want to retire.

OR the cap is eliminated.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cr0y posted:

I'm a vegetarian and I dated a vegan for a while, I thought it would be no big deal but.... Nope, vegan cheese is just not there yet, we do not possess the technology.

Depends on where you live. In my area (Carlsbad/Encinitas California) there are some firms producing vegan cheese from cashews that is actually really good. Particularly the Brie.

Kite Hill (I think national) also makes a Creme Cheese from Almonds.

These aren't chemical shopping lists. The good stuff is just the nuts and the cultures and skill.

As to dairy, I think it's worse than meat. Particularly if you have a prostate.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Aegis posted:

Youth Decay posted:

I wonder if she got advanced notice that her district was going to be redistricted to be very red and she wanted to get ahead of the problem. Oh, my area is goingto be strong red soon? Better change parties and keep my job!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Some people are vegetarian and not vegan, or just want to eat less meat. And I wager they're a bigger market share at McDonald's than people who are 100% vegan.

Pickup Stix (chinese food chain) has a Tofu dish cooked with Chicken Broth.

No very smart market research there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zotix posted:

https://katv.com/news/local/gov-san...ney-information

The Mucinex snot from Arkansas wants the federal government to cover 100% on tornado cleanup.

Is this unusual?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cimber posted:

I wonder if she got advanced notice that her district was going to be redistricted to be very red and she wanted to get ahead of the problem. Oh, my area is goingto be strong red soon? Better change parties and keep my job!

Redistricting isn't for 7 more years and she represents an urban area that would be very difficult to turn into a red district.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's not necessarily about cash. Vanity and ambition should not be underestimated. By being a deciding vote and switching sides, she becomes important. No doubt she has been wined and dined and been given great attention by high Republican officials and important lobbyists as well.

A guy who was my rep for a while in Washington State before he became a Senator, Rodney Tom, switched sides to the Republicans to swap control of the Senate. To seal the deal they made him the Majority Leader. The D-party organizations censured him for, quote, "Gross disloyalty" and "Perfiduous behavior". It killed his electoral career despite his title; he never won another election.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
occam's razor says she lied to get the job and never believed or was going to advocate for any of that

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InsertPotPun posted:

occam's razor says she lied to get the job and never believed or was going to advocate for any of that
That theory doesn’t account for - from what I understand - her being in the assembly from 2007-2018 and acting like basically a normal Democrat, before coming back after two terms off and pulling this poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

I doubt it. She's been a Democrat and in office over for 10 years now and is married to a former local state Dem chair.

She's a representative in a local state house. I don't think she's telling all the details but I also don't think she's lying about her reasoning. She cares about her vanity more than the legislation. That's uh not that weird for local politicians.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VideoGameVet posted:

Pickup Stix (chinese food chain) has a Tofu dish cooked with Chicken Broth.

No very smart market research there.

Isnt that common in asian cuisine? Pad thai? Lots of curries? Fish sauce in everything? Vegetarian for years, you never just assume tofu as protein = veggie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isnt that common in asian cuisine? Pad thai? Lots of curries? Fish sauce in everything? Vegetarian for years, you never just assume tofu as protein = veggie.

I… think it was a joke?

In various sorts of Asian cuisine, tofu is “an ingredient” instead of “a substitute.”

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vegetarian here as well, I just assume all "vegetarian" options at fast casual and fast food chains are contaminated with meat in some way. Either being grilled on the same grill as the meat or ingredients that are animal products or spillover of meat from other dishes. But when you are the only vegetarian in your immediate family, grabbing a Taco Bell bean burrito or an Impossible Whopper is better than just eating fries. I'm looking at you, McDonalds, your menu for vegetarians really sucks! At least for breakfast you can get an egg mcmuffin.

I really was hoping the Impossible/Beyond trend was the beginning of a new world of food options for me. I'm just happy many places still have the option. Eating in Japan was a trip, I had to assume everything I thought might be vegetarian was made with fish sauce. I just ate lots of edamame, tamago sushi and egg sandwiches.

Back on topic, any word out of WI for the GOP's plan for fuckery?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean it's really not the voters that are doing the whole trans panic thing, it's Republican party elites trying to find a culture war issue less radioactive than the pro-life movement and getting an assist from NYT columnists for some reason (maybe because they all went to the same private schools, I think that's the issue with terf island?)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third major study in the last year that analyzed 40 years of data and determined that any amount of alcohol is harmful to your health.

There are also not health benefits to drinking a moderate amount of red wine or beer, contrary to many popular assumptions.

Additionally, their findings were similar to others conducted by the WHO and the World Heart Federation that determined that even consuming 2 drinks per week has negative health impacts.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643538978014986240
Not an alcoholic, but I think quitting alcohol would destroy my social life. Do you know how boring most recreational activities are? How boring the average person is?

The bar is one of the only “third spaces” Americans have.

Do I really just want to be sober and stay home? I know my partner sure doesn’t.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Not an alcoholic, but I think quitting alcohol would destroy my social life. Do you know how boring most recreational activities are? How boring the average person is?

Do I really just want to be sober and stay home? I know my partner sure doesn’t.
As an alcoholic, this is a real thing I faced when I quit drinking. Bars that used to feel safe or comforting were suddenly alienating and hostile. Alcohol's place in American recreation is all-encompassing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Automata 10 Pack posted:

You can go out and just not drink alcohol. Mocktails are getting trendy and improving in quality, many 0.0 beers are available and they don’t taste like poo poo any more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We don't really drink much anymore but my partner and I do have like, one drink each every couple of weeks? We used to drink more regularly for the reasons people mention but fortunately we never got into alcoholic territory.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

PT6A posted:

You can go out and just not drink alcohol. Mocktails are getting trendy and improving in quality, many 0.0 beers are available and they don’t taste like poo poo any more.
There’s something very off putting about straightedge people who hang out with people who are drinking tbh. I can’t fully explain why. It’s just creepy.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

PT6A posted:

This gets really expensive really quick. I love hop waters, mocktails, and numerous decent non-alcoholic beer. That said, having drunk them extensively when cutting back or going dry for periods of time, my tabs easily doubled from not sipping on a tallboy of Rainier or Montucky, or even a well spirit. As with so many things, good luck if you're already barely getting by.