Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

yea ok posted:

It's because we're all bullies who make fun of any WWE fans until they decide to stop posting here.
it's true, making fun of wwe is psp's favorite pastime, fretting & complaining about aew is our second favorite pastime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Do that anyway, All Japan rules.

Blue Justice being champ sorely tempts me.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Do that anyway, All Japan rules.

Plus there's a campaign for a free first month for new subscribers, just in time for their version of G1 and Jr Tag league starting this Saturday

https://www.gaora.co.jp/lp/ajpwtv/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

karmicknight posted:

I will never respect All Japan.

Seems like this should be illegal.

The best thing about people finally giving in & watching All Japan & seeing that I'm right, Kento is the best of the best is I can finally stop posting about how everyone should watch All Japan.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

yea ok posted:

It's because we're all bullies who make fun of any WWE fans until they decide to stop posting here.

:patriot: love this place

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

where did it come from that the audience is meant to believe everything said and done by the winner of a match or feud is being presented as correct and righteous? i feel like it was probably something thought up by someone who was making GBS threads on wwe for being awful. maybe triple h vs booker t? back in the day it was good if both wrestlers made good points or burned eachother with truth bombs, etc., and winning meant that they won at wrestling

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

to clarify i don't think racism stuff is 'burns'. i believe a heel should not win any kind of feuds based on reprehensible bigotry type stuff still, but it was because that gives off really lovely vibes in a show that's meant for escapism, and is really unsatisfying and can't really lead anywhere. but you know what. i forgot wrestling is a little kids show. kids might pick up on that kind of thing and run with it. teh winner is cool so that can be dangerous. i don't really know. i don't remember. i guess that's at least a partial answer. if there's anything else let me know. sorry.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

bianca belair has surely cut the exact promo you’re looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JKlvAHqoVM

Yep. Thank you very much!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Val Venis genuinely did shock me at how long he stuck around (until spring 2008!) but the Godfather as a gimmick ended up only having about two years total. It was a gradual shift from Nation of Domination Kama Mustafa to Nation of Domination Godfather, and the gimmick didn't fully take hold until 1999, and by summer of 2000 he'd been switched to Right to Censor "Goodfather". After that, he came back as the Godfather at the 2002 Rumble and then got released in summer of 2002 after mostly working house shows/Velocity. So there was barely two years of Opening Match Cheap Pop Godfather. Of course, he was also in the company from 1991-1993 and 1995-1998 so there was a solid decade of Charles Wright, just not that much of it as the Godfather.

Don't forget Thug Godfather who turned heel, fired the Hos, and started wearing jeans, a wifebeater and a bandana. I think this was right before he was released in 2002.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just saw The Qrown (formerly King's Ransom) on Dark. Two big ol' lads that're surprisingly quick. They didn't get to do much against Gates of Agony, but I'm curious. Anyone know more?

Cagematch doesn't have much to show other than they started in 2018, and they did a lot of OVW and CCW plus a few other indies.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hope this is not like Capital Vices where they basically only exist to get someone excited about their existence and then disappear forever

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

SG Bamboo posted:

Voodoo Murders even had a really enjoyable match on the last show, if GoA stopped being jobbers everything would be coming up Millhouse

The two rules of wrestling that should always be strictly enforced are that WRESTLE-1 dorks should always be considered jobbers; and the Gate should be locked, bolted with marksmen on the outside ensuring that no one escapes. All Japan Pro Wrestling have broken one of those rules and are skirting with the second; need to be wary with them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

I'm curious why this place became more fans of wrestling as opposed to WWE fan as opposed to say some of the reddit forums out there. This place has always felt like my favorite place because it falls in line with my own opinions about wrestling where as others I usually disagree with more because they like WWE more than I think WWE deserves.

I'm genuinely confused that we're so relatively unique in that regard.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

IceAgeComing posted:

WRESTLE-1 dorks should always be considered jobbers

If Seiya Sanada can win the New Japan Cup then surely Shotaro Ashino can avoid looking like the biggest loser on earth.

Right? :ohdear:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm genuinely confused that we're so relatively unique in that regard.

I mean, Ditch being a poster here when the Archive was one of the better ways to access puro matches probably helped a lot to cultivate that sort of appreciation, and Wrestlehut coming into proper existence during those hot early years of ROH helped.

Also because of the average age of the user of the site, we have a lot of people who remember the very end of the territories, JCP/NWA/WCW, ECW. People who have had very fundamental wrestling experiences that can stand free from the WWE shadow. There’s less churn of old users out, new users in, so if someone has their interest piqued by a gif or a Twitter video or something posted in some thread, usually three or four people will pop up and give them suggestions of other things to check out, which feeds into a new fan’s developing relationship with a promotion or style, and then later, that person ends up paying it forward with the next person whose interest is piqued.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just remembering a time when there was serious head-to-head competition between two or more companies is a different perspective.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't start seeking out places to talk about wrestling until late 99 so while the war was still ongoing it was all but decided. I would have loved to seen wrestling discourse during the Monday night wars that weren't big blogs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I didn't start seeking out places to talk about wrestling until late 99 so while the war was still ongoing it was all but decided. I would have loved to seen wrestling discourse during the Monday night wars that weren't big blogs.

It was very funny.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Reddit has bunch of threads with collections of the 90s internet posts (search "usenet")

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/xc2j99/the_internets_reaction_to_the_outsiders_invading/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There used to be a website that had a weekly article that would collect stuff said in columns, message boards, and emails to the sites columnists, called "You Said it", it was pretty funny sometimes. Wish I could remember which site so I could find it in the wayback/internet archive

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kennel posted:

Reddit has bunch of threads with collections of the 90s internet posts (search "usenet")

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/xc2j99/the_internets_reaction_to_the_outsiders_invading/

thanks reading through this was pretty fun. Especially the dudes calling for 1-2-3 kid or mabel to be the thirdman in the outsiders. Wrestling internet nerds never change.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In my mind, online wrestling discourse from that era is inseparable from e-feds.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

In my mind, online wrestling discourse from that era is inseparable from e-feds.
Meanwhile I did not know e-feds existed back then but DID wrestle in an actual indy fed! And dutifully read CRZ recaps every week, as well as OnlineOnslaught and uhhh what was the other one I was reminded of earlier in this thread

ScoopThis was SO HILARIOUS OH MY GOD HAVE YOU SEEN IT YOU GUYS

Still trying to remember where I read the writeup like "Monday Nitro as Surrealist Theater" where every match ended with a single vertical suplex, probably absolutely terrible but at the time the very idea of combining wrestling fandom with creative writing was just magnificent to me

Here is a great idea of how rough things could be in that era, as CRZ apparently just left SlashWrestling as-is in 2002 when he stopped updating it: https://slashwrestling.com/

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Meanwhile I did not know e-feds existed back then but DID wrestle in an actual indy fed! And dutifully read CRZ recaps every week, as well as OnlineOnslaught and uhhh what was the other one I was reminded of earlier in this thread

ScoopThis was SO HILARIOUS OH MY GOD HAVE YOU SEEN IT YOU GUYS

Still trying to remember where I read the writeup like "Monday Nitro as Surrealist Theater" where every match ended with a single vertical suplex, probably absolutely terrible but at the time the very idea of combining wrestling fandom with creative writing was just magnificent to me

Here is a great idea of how rough things could be in that era, as CRZ apparently just left SlashWrestling as-is in 2002 when he stopped updating it: https://slashwrestling.com/

Slash Wrestling sounds like it is a much naughtier site than it probably is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
FINAL update: 30.10.2 - 2035
Next update: After Thanksgiving - MAYBE .

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m catching up on todays posts in the AEW thread but still a few pages behind so I’ll ask here: I don’t remember anymore, why was Mike Quackenbush cancelled?

I loved those Stupid fuckin Ants back in the day.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know that this isn't completely unique compared to say Reddit, but I think SA being a forum that happens to have a wrestling section versus "a wrestling forum" helps a lot too. There are obviously exceptions but pretty much everyone I know who has been using the forums for any length of time can and will dip in and out of topics when their interest waxes or wanes, so that generally means that people who feel any sort of community on here generally will not feel obligated to continue really focusing in on [WWE or insert other niche here] and maintain party unity on that topic, because otherwise what are they doing here?

Anecdotally I feel like a lot of people who posted in WWE threads a decade or more ago disappeared from WWE threads but kept posting about politics or games or football or comics or film or etc. and then found their way back to AEW (or NJPW, or etc.) threads more recently.

Also bullying cannot be ruled out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember CRZ avoiding a lot of the edgy humor of the time and pointing out a lot of the racism and misogyny as it was happening. I also remember his recaps bothering Mark Madden so much that he'd complain about him live on air in the middle of Nitro.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is a great point, I angrily stopped posting here when I got probated for something some incredible number of years ago, but as soon as AEW and Neo-NWA started up almost simultaneously I started thinking about how much I had missed wrestling, and since I was still posting elsewhere here anyway I just popped back over, whereas I doubt I would have bothered logging back in to a wrestling forum I had not visited at all in years

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember CRZ avoiding a lot of the edgy humor of the time and pointing out a lot of the racism and misogyny as it was happening. I also remember his recaps bothering Mark Madden so much that he'd complain about him live on air in the middle of Nitro.
Good point, I remember liking him the most because he actually seemed to enjoy wrestling as opposed to the guys like Scott Keith who just openly lied about what was happening/crowd reactions to further his petty bullshit grudges and the like, and even though I definitely was not as good at verbalizing it in the 1990s I definitely got mad when women were exclusively brought on-screen for sexy purposes and then dismissed

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Way to go Matt

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

I’m catching up on todays posts in the AEW thread but still a few pages behind so I’ll ask here: I don’t remember anymore, why was Mike Quackenbush cancelled?

I loved those Stupid fuckin Ants back in the day.

got accused of doing some bad stuff during speaking out. I don't remember/think if it was him getting accused of being a sex pest, but I think a wrestle factory trainer may have date raped a trainee and quack got accused of sweeping it under the rug as well as creeping on random female wrestlers?

edit:

found the speaking out stuff for quack/wrestlefactory/chickara

https://twitter.com/Wiggygator/status/1275600745870606337

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 5, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Defenestrategy posted:

got accused of doing some bad stuff during speaking out. I don't remember/think if it was him getting accused of being a sex pest, but I think a wrestle factory trainer may have date raped a trainee and quack got accused of sweeping it under the rug as well as creeping on random female wrestlers?

And all the stories about Quackenbush being an insufferable rear end in a top hat with control problems also came out at the same time. It's not as major as any of of what Defenestrategy mentioned, but it did drive home that everyone just had better places to be than anywhere Quack was running.

(And then his response was just posting through it and trying to keep treating himself as an indie wrestling genius, so now he's just an isolated weirdo.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And all the stories about Quackenbush being an insufferable rear end in a top hat with control problems also came out at the same time. It's not as major as any of of what Defenestrategy mentioned, but it did drive home that everyone just had better places to be than anywhere Quack was running.

(And then his response was just posting through it and trying to keep treating himself as an indie wrestling genius, so now he's just an isolated weirdo.)

The emails shared where Quack was going over everybody's performance - I think at a King of Trios - was genuinely interesting but at the same time it was written like Mike had no actual idea real people were reading them. He threw one of the older guys, I think Mitch Ryder, so far under the bus - again, where Mitch could easily read it because he'd gotten a copy too - Mitch quit going to Chikara shows and the promotion was absolutely poorer for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The emails shared where Quack was going over everybody's performance - I think at a King of Trios - was genuinely interesting but at the same time it was written like Mike had no actual idea real people were reading them. He threw one of the older guys, I think Mitch Ryder, so far under the bus - again, where Mitch could easily read it because he'd gotten a copy too - Mitch quit going to Chikara shows and the promotion was absolutely poorer for it.

I completely understood why Ryder quit

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Ryder was one of the worst things about CHIKARA so while Quack complaining about his gear was hilariously hypocritical, it was addition by subtraction even though CHIKARA would get worse from there because Quack was an idiot. His cliched old school tag team was so boring.

However Quack had so many allegations against him that he needed a 20 minute apology video where he talked in his promo voice and fake cried to answer them all.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dr. Quarex posted:

You can catch up with CRZ here https://the-w.com/

There is actually still people posting there, but not a lot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dawgstar posted:

That email was extremely funny. Quack really does seem insufferable, even ignoring all the speaking out stuff that came out (& obviously you shouldn't ignore it, you know what I mean)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

That email was extremely funny. Quack really does seem insufferable, even ignoring all the speaking out stuff that came out (& obviously you shouldn't ignore it, you know what I mean)

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply you ought to do that either. Just taken in a vacuum it was very... something. Like it could have been pulled straight from 411 Dark Pegasus Video Review.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Watching Chikara implode in its final days was a hell of a thing. Creative issues aside, Quack was back to having falling outs with talent. I know Pinkie Sanchez was pissed because he performed at a show and Quack told him, "You were late so I'm not paying you." Chuck Taylor was alienated and was gone, but Quack begrudgingly brought him back into the fold because Wrestle Factory students were mostly interested in learning under Chuck as a trainer. Kevin Condron/Jervis Cottonbelly, who was like Quack's Quackier son, split from the company and made a stink about how badly talent was paid.

Then in a pre-Speaking Out world, there was all this stuff about trainer Rory Gulak being horrible and doing some gross perverted poo poo that I'm not going to describe. It was big enough that Quack had to get rid of him. Then shortly after, it was revealed that Juan Francisco de Coronado, who was then recently retired, was involved in some grooming controversy. There might have been another name at the time, but it made the first Johnny Kidd Invitational tournament cursed as hell considering the semifinals featured Rory Gulak, JFdC, AND Matt Riddle.

Before the pandemic, there was a show they did that really pissed off the fanbase. Chikara's website promoted some kind of mystery show taking place at the Wrestle Factory. There were no details other than the date, location, and an image similar to the box from Hellraiser. Fans watched the Chikaratopia streaming service hoping for answers, only to get nothing. Turns out it was them taping a pilot of sorts for the WWE Network that would never get picked up. Considering how things would work out, this attempt at a brand new direction for Chikara's future is pretty funny in retrospect.

Once Speaking Out happened, the first major Chikara name on the list was Kobald for being an abuser. Former talent Blaster McMassive was called out for being a bit of a creep. While it was rare for anyone to name names, trainers were called out for being scumbags and it was made apparent that Quack knew their behavior and turned a blind eye. While some Chikara people claimed Quack did nothing wrong to them, they agreed with the accusations against certain trainers. Suddenly, a shitload of Chikara names were announcing that they were leaving the company, including champion Dasher Hatfield. The company was already in rough shape due to covid, but there was no coming back from this.

The passage of time pretty much spelled out the guilty parties in terms of the trainers. Icarus completely vanished from wrestling without a trace. Nothing was outright said about Ophidian at the time and he announced his retirement in the sea of Chikara's massive exodus. When he returned to wrestling a couple years later, various Chikara alumni raised a stink on social media about him being booked because he was one of the offenders.

Hallowicked seems clean though, so that's a win.

MassRafTer posted:

Ryder was one of the worst things about CHIKARA

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm just glad Chuck and UMB were never implicated. Those dudes are really awesome talent and seem like self awareness good folk.