Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol eastern Poland incoming

Fucken called it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

hmm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

speng31b
May 8, 2010

😂😂😂😂

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

perfect no notes

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fire-engulfs-russian-defense-ministry-building-moscow-n550026

lmao that building just has bad wiring. This is from 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also works for pipelines

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

Oh, the author of the article was David Axe. A distinguished war reporter. Take a look at this background:

my dumb rear end brain confused this with the get your war on guy for a minute

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

There's nothing about capitalism that says there has to be free trade or a connected global economy.

capitalism needs spatial fixes

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
No, but free trade and global economic connections are the whole thing people quote to explain how capital usually escapes consequences. It could get Cool in a couple places.

That's not even accounting for if someone actually does get jumped up and starts succeeding by not sabotaging everything in their nation (since a completely broken down barbarist hell scape can't compete with that).

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Apr 5, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

who farted!!!!!!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

crypto has entered the war on ukraine's side

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Lol eastern Poland incoming

Fucken called it

I love escalation.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Capitalism has a self destructive nature that it exports to mitigate. Without anywhere to send the suffering, the people living inside of capitalism get all uppity and start forming unions and vanguards.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

But why am I, specifically, always surrounded by these people?

Say what you will about the Army, academy, civil service, RCMP - those people are steady.

The people I meet outside of work are always ping ponging around on their rise and grind, Toronto, New York, Bay Area, Essen. I don’t get it.

Military - high mutual trust via training and discipline. Teamwork is king.

General society - low mutual trust, everyone out for themselves.

Sounds like mild culture shock, to be honest.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
From the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/d68b4007-4ddf-4320-b29a-f2eee2662d6e

quote:

Ukraine ‘ready’ to talk to Russia on Crimea if counteroffensive succeeds

Kyiv is willing to discuss the future of Crimea with Moscow if its forces reach the border of the Russian-occupied peninsula, a top adviser to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has told the Financial Times.

The comments by Andriy Sybiha, deputy head of Zelenskyy’s office, are the most explicit statement of Ukraine’s interest in negotiations since it cut off peace talks with the Kremlin last April.

“If we will succeed in achieving our strategic goals on the battlefield and when we will be on the administrative border with Crimea, we are ready to open [a] diplomatic page to discuss this issue,” Sybiha said, referring to Kyiv’s long-planned counteroffensive.

He added: “It doesn’t mean that we exclude the way of liberation [of Crimea] by our army.”...

...Kyiv is also hoping that its coming counteroffensive will make headway south — possibly through Zaporizhzhia province — and sever a land bridge that allows Russia to supply its invasion forces from Crimea.

Mykhailo Podolyak, a Zelenskyy adviser, told Radio Free Europe on Wednesday that Ukrainian forces would be on Crimea’s doorstep in “five to seven months”.

But some of Ukraine’s western allies fear Putin could resort to tactical nuclear weapons to defend the peninsula, whose status the Kremlin says is non-negotiable.

Launch a counter-offensive; push Russia back to the border; negotiate the return of Crimea from a position of strength. Easy!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

From the FT:

Launch a counter-offensive; push Russia back to the border; negotiate the return of Crimea from a position of strength. Easy!

It's bing bong so simple back in time for tea and crumpets.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why didn’t tbey think of that sooner

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

Yup! Apartheid South Africa had nukes of its own, too. Bet you can't guess who supplied those!:haw:

Apartheid-era South Africa is by far the most :psyduck: country to have nukes and they showed unusual consideration in getting rid of them

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

why didn’t tbey think of that sooner

Didn't have the genius polacks running the show. That's where they all went wrong.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I ain't gonna play Brightness of Ten Suns City

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

From the FT:

Love when they give all these details on what should actually be top secret plans. Lets you know you can ignore everything in it. At best its misinformation, at worst it's a guy making poo poo up on the spot

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Futanari Damacy posted:

Apartheid-era South Africa is by far the most :psyduck: country to have nukes and they showed unusual consideration in getting rid of them

I'm sure part of the consideration was they didn't want to turn over the keys to a bunch of...!... uh...well you see...what they meant was...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure part of the consideration was they didn't want to turn over the keys to a bunch of...!... uh...well you see...what they meant was...

Yeah it's not really much of a mystery

Suppose they could have gotten two sets of bombs like Tom Lehrer suggested

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sullat posted:

Yeah it's not really much of a mystery

Suppose they could have gotten two sets of bombs like Tom Lehrer suggested

poo poo

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

From the FT:

If we fail then there will be no negotiations, you will have to genocide us

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Didn't the Russian empire also have a big chunk of it's middle class super keen to be accepted as part of the west? Hence all the disgusting Francophilia.

Danann posted:

crypto has entered the war on ukraine's side

Having your propaganda bots be a bunch of crypto enjoyers is a good way to make their idiosyncrasies slip by as just crypto brain.

Frosted Flake posted:

It makes total sense. They thought the Cold War was ideological, and so once they became a liberal capitalist democracy they would be invited in as an equal partner.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Didn't the Russian empire also have a big chunk of it's middle class super keen to be accepted as part of the west? Hence all the disgusting Francophilia.

It was mainly the upper class doing that, with some of the middle class trying to mimic them. There's a part of War & Peace where some of the nobles decide they're going to stop speaking French because of Napoleon and they've forgotten how to speak Russian very fluently so they sound childish.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1643732745519247363

big if true

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If we fail then there will be no negotiations, you will have to genocide us

and it will be called a genocide even at 1% civilian casualties

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

and it will be called a genocide even at 1% civilian casualties

their backers are prepping for 100% civilian casualties

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
They've already been trying to kill their own people, I could see them going scorched earth out of spite.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Apr 5, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

uh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The UK MoD and OSINT community - "Why would ukraine throw us under the bus"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

When Russia invades the Crimea, they do it over a weekend with a handful of troopers and almost no casualties, civilian or otherwise

When Ukraine invades the Crimea, they need a massive push to support an extended siege that will probably kill thousands of civilians and soldiers

But Russia is the bad guy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

good news everyone

https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/1643708223466110977

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Western press:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ99s4Ywnw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck