Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. That reddit post is a gold mine, if I had the skill level. I don't think I have the proficiency for a repair, but it could be a project to put on the back burner for now. This might be the impetus I need to switch to a passive setup anyway. I'm eyeing a used pair of Polk T15 with an SMSL A18 amp that I think would sound nice together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a Vizio soundbar and I find that in most TV and movies character voices are too quiet and gunshots and explosions and even sometimes music are too loud. I don't want to bother my neighbors or hell even my own eardrums. What can I do to try to balance this out?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

I have a Vizio soundbar and I find that in most TV and movies character voices are too quiet and gunshots and explosions and even sometimes music are too loud. I don't want to bother my neighbors or hell even my own eardrums. What can I do to try to balance this out?

You'll want to see if your TV or the Soundbar has a "late night" mode, Dynamic Range Compression, or a "volume normalization" feature. You will lose dynamic range between the quietest bits and the loudest bits, but that's explicitly what you're looking for so :sun: . You'll probably want to disable any bass boost, Loudness, or other similar adjustments that boost the bass frequencies.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, a lot of film (and even TV) these days is mixed with a ridiculously wide dynamic range. It's almost like they're mixing it in a large studio for the theatre, and completely forgetting that people will also watch it at home. Mederlock is right on the money; what you're looking for is a 'Night Mode' or similarly-named setting which is basically just a limiter. Anything over a certain volume threshold gets squashed down but the quieter stuff remains untouched. I was pretty mad at myself for forgetting about this feature when I bought my receiver (without it).

VLC has an actual comp/limiter with adjustable settings - sometimes I miss my old 'tower running VLC connected to TV' setup.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
its even funny when somewhere like 99% of the home audience will never have the conditions to properly hear a real movie audio mix

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean it’s appreciated by everyone who does have that though, and yeah night mode is there for everyone else.

Dvds used to often also have a stereo track, I wonder if they mixed those with less range

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

I mean it’s appreciated by everyone who does have that though, and yeah night mode is there for everyone else.

Dvds used to often also have a stereo track, I wonder if they mixed those with less range

Yeah I personally have a very decent home theatre system so I'm glad that the range in the mix is there, but DRC is definitely helpful for those who don't have as permissive of a home audio situation

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
how do the Q150/etc look in fake wood veneer? They look kinda lovely in photos that aren’t staged by KEF, but I haven’t got the chance to see them in person.

Otherwise leaning toward the white for this particular use case, although personally in a vacuum I find the graphite to be the most attractive to me

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm running a projector for a movie night at my son's school. In order to interface with the PA system, I need to pipe audio from the projector in the middle of the room to the mixer that is about 60-75' away.

Can I safely use a super long 1/8" stereo extension cable for this run? Or will it sound terrible after so many feet?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm running a projector for a movie night at my son's school. In order to interface with the PA system, I need to pipe audio from the projector in the middle of the room to the mixer that is about 60-75' away.

Can I safely use a super long 1/8" stereo extension cable for this run? Or will it sound terrible after so many feet?

What's your source device? Do they have wall/floor mounted XLR ports that feed back to the mixer?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They've got every xlr output on the mixer populated but nobody can tell me where the snake terminates. I'm jacking into the RCA inputs on the rear of the board.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Expect it to pick up shitloads of hum is going to be your main problem probably.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Unbalanced RCA is only reliable for 10ft or so. The pro solution would be a direct box to convert it to balanced XLR, but if you're just going into RCA in the mixer, that defeats the purpose.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODDI--whirlwind-poddi-1-channel-passive-ipod-iphone-direct-box

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you're probably going to have an issue with that. You're either going to want something like a Bluetooth/other RF RCA transmitter/receiver combo like this https://www.amazon.com/YMOO-Wireless-Transmitter-Subwoofer-Projector/dp/B0B64V521N/, or if you already have a bunch of long Ethernet runs, then something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LR420NM/

The wired one will likely have far lower latency. If you can do an audio delay compensation on your source you should be able to mitigate it though with the wireless one

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations! I think the ethernet patch solution is going to work perfectly. I've even got a 60' cat6 cable ready to go!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hopefully the right place to ask this.

I'm looking for a recommendation of a music device or other solution, or even just a category or keywords so I can find the best one for me on my own.

I have a NAS with a large amount of mp3 files that I'd like to be able to access via wifi network around the house, and play with reasonable volume and audio quality. I don't need thumping bass or crystal clear sound but would like to do better than the $20 bluetooth speaker I already use for listening to podcasts. Ideally this would also be able to play YouTube videos also for their music playlists when I want to listen to stuff I don't already have. I'm open to using a tablet (Android preferred) and speakers but would prefer a single-unit portable device that I can take from room to room and out to the garage or wherever I'm working. It most likely wouldn't leave the house.

So, what am I looking for? What's my best options?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For music it’s easy, get something like the Wiim Mini and plug it into powered speakers [even a Bluetooth one via an aux cable]. It comes with an app that should be able to play from a DLNA server. Playing YouTubes is a different matter and will not be so simple but you may be able to manually chromecast from a tablet if you use that as a controller. I don’t have Wiim gear but there’s a ton of written reviews and YouTubes about how it works

If you want literally one unit the Sonos 100/One or the IKEA equivalent are great but Sonos is less flexible and doesn’t support chromecast.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

how do the Q150/etc look in fake wood veneer? They look kinda lovely in photos that aren’t staged by KEF, but I haven’t got the chance to see them in person.

Otherwise leaning toward the white for this particular use case, although personally in a vacuum I find the graphite to be the most attractive to me

The walnut looks very very good irl in my opinion and my wife's opinion

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Not really a question but rather a rant. I had the Creative Pebble V2 for a while and I think they're a steal for 20$ and sound really good. I wanted to improve my setup a little but noticeable though. Looked up reviews and chose the Bose Companion 2 Serie III. I also considered the cheapest Edifiers, which looked really cool but I just don't have the space on my desk. The Bose speakers came, I plugged them in and found them to be a little muffled, so I also installed FxSound, a free equaliser which is more than enough for me, reduced bass and increased clarity, heights and dynamic boost. When I listen to music (drum 'n bass from the 90's e.g.) I really do think they are great as they have a powerful (for my purposes) bass and sound generally good.

The thing is: While I appreciate the improved sound the low-frequency bass irritates me to no end. Subconsciously I want to increase distance to the speakers (distance is about 1 meter) and feel like there is some pressure on my ears even at low volume (all of this is relatively low volume so far). I can't help but want the pebbles back for having a "smaller sound" (lacking the correct vocabulary here). Am I weird? Will I get used to this? Is this perhaps actually hurting my ears (very unlikely) or just irritating me because of the first time I have something that can reliably produce substantial bass? I guess I'll keep them for a while and see. I am still quite disappointed with this experience though. Sorry for the rant.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 20, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's different ways bass can go wrong. What you're describing sound like what I've heard described as "flabby" or "bloated" and I think it comes from Bose attempting to make it feel like bass can come out of those 2" drivers, probably with a combo of the cabinet design and DSP/tuning but there's only so much they can do and if you really hate the sound you're best off with something else. Other small [but not as small as the Companions] speakers I've heard decent things about : Audioengine A2, Swan OS-10, iLoud Micro Monitor, Vanatoo Transparent Zero, Presonus Eris 3.5, Mackie CR3-X.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hi, complete audio idiot here I'm planning on picking up some second hand Wharfedale Diamond 220s and hooking then up to this av unit I already own.

I'd just use them for music listening rather than part of the TV setup.

Are there any showstopping reasons why this is a dreadful idea?

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 20, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Perfect Element posted:

Hi, complete audio idiot here I'm planning on picking up some second hand Wharfedale Diamond 220s and hooking then up to this av unit I already own.

I'd just use them for music listening rather than part of the TV setup.

Are there any showstopping reasons why this is a dreadful idea?

Does that amp have proprietary speaker inputs, or can it just take speaker wire? Some HTIAB amps are like that, and in that case, maybe a bad idea

No it looks like you’re good. I don’t see a problem.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

BigFactory posted:

Does that amp have proprietary speaker inputs, or can it just take speaker wire? Some HTIAB amps are like that, and in that case, maybe a bad idea

It takes standard speaker wires.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

qirex posted:

There's different ways bass can go wrong. What you're describing sound like what I've heard described as "flabby" or "bloated" and I think it comes from Bose attempting to make it feel like bass can come out of those 2" drivers, probably with a combo of the cabinet design and DSP/tuning but there's only so much they can do and if you really hate the sound you're best off with something else. Other small [but not as small as the Companions] speakers I've heard decent things about : Audioengine A2, Swan OS-10, iLoud Micro Monitor, Vanatoo Transparent Zero, Presonus Eris 3.5, Mackie CR3-X.

Hm, yeah. That might be it. I may try one more set of speakers. Thank you very much for those recommendations, quirex.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey folks. I have a pair of Edifier S1000DB bookshelf speakers that I have used and loved for years. In the past few months, however, there has been an intermittent buzzing noise from the left speaker during certain songs, particularly lower-fidelity stuff on Spotify like most of their classical music recordings. The buzzing will go away as soon as I switch to the next track, but come back again from time to time. This occurs on both bluetooth and line-in. I have not tried replacing the cable connecting the main speaker to the left speaker (the right speaker receives power and signal, and transmits it to the left speaker via a cable), but the cable does not appear to be damaged anywhere. Should I go ahead and buy a new cable and see if that solves it? If not, I'm going to have to buy a whole new set. It's gotten too irritating.

I CAN confirm that it is directly impacted by volume. I just played a segment of a track repeatedly, and as I lowered the volume, the noise got fainter and then stopped entirely.

edit: lol, I seem to have almost resolved it, or at least greatly reduced the issue, by removing the little screen on the front and then putting it back on firmly... I think it was a little loose. I still hear it a bit, but I have to really turn the volume up and focus to hear it. Something must be vibrating and when the screen was not firmly on it, was vibrating that too and adding to the noise. Maybe if I got a speaker stand to further isolate the speakers from the desk (I keep them on my desk right to either side of my monitor, but this issue was also happening when they were on a book shelf). Good enough to not spend $1,000 on new speakers, at least!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 25, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Something loose in the cabinet probably

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

Something loose in the cabinet probably

Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to try to open it up and look? The only way in is to unscrew the speaker itself and pull it out of the cabinet and peer behind it, and I am pretty nervous about doing that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I grabbed a Denon AVR-X1400H (7.2, roughly 2017-2018 vintage. My dad has its bigger sibling, the X2400H, in his den so I’m relatively familiar with its ways) from Goodwill for $12.

I’ve got it hooked up to a stereo L/R pair of speakers and a Roku thru HDMI, and the Left channel is notably louder and fuller sounding than the Right.

Swapping the speakers, etc seems to have isolated the problem to the receiver. I don’t have a remote for it so menu diving is a bit limited and difficult, but I don’t think the balance is set to the Left (is there a way to check or reset without getting a replacement remote? I might be able to borrow the 2400’s and try it but I don’t want to gently caress it up or unpair it from its original receiver or something like that).

Is there a hardware thing that could cause this? The right channel doesn’t sound worse or noisy or distorted, just quieter. I don’t know about the remaining speaker channels, I haven’t tested them yet and wasn’t really planning to spend a ton of time troubleshooting this thing.

I grabbed it because it was clean and very cheap and I figured I could take a gamble and maybe put it in the guest bedroom at my parents’ house as a stereo TV receiver. (Although now that I think of it, I could probably use the Zone 2 speaker channels if they’re ok, tho that kinda sucks compared to the main L/R on such a cheap receiver.tried this, can’t seem to get sound for some reason, maybe this receiver is fried and that’s why it was at Goodwill :/ )

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

I grabbed a Denon AVR-X1400H (7.2, roughly 2017-2018 vintage. My dad has its bigger sibling, the X2400H, in his den so I’m relatively familiar with its ways) from Goodwill for $12.

I’ve got it hooked up to a stereo L/R pair of speakers and a Roku thru HDMI, and the Left channel is notably louder and fuller sounding than the Right.

Swapping the speakers, etc seems to have isolated the problem to the receiver. I don’t have a remote for it so menu diving is a bit limited and difficult, but I don’t think the balance is set to the Left (is there a way to check or reset without getting a replacement remote? I might be able to borrow the 2400’s and try it but I don’t want to gently caress it up or unpair it from its original receiver or something like that).

Is there a hardware thing that could cause this? The right channel doesn’t sound worse or noisy or distorted, just quieter. I don’t know about the remaining speaker channels, I haven’t tested them yet and wasn’t really planning to spend a ton of time troubleshooting this thing.

I grabbed it because it was clean and very cheap and I figured I could take a gamble and maybe put it in the guest bedroom at my parents’ house as a stereo TV receiver. (Although now that I think of it, I could probably use the Zone 2 speaker channels if they’re ok, tho that kinda sucks compared to the main L/R on such a cheap receiver.tried this, can’t seem to get sound for some reason, maybe this receiver is fried and that’s why it was at Goodwill :/ )

Crack it open and start visually inspecting stuff. It might be as simple as a transistor or capacitor somewhere

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Crack it open and start visually inspecting stuff. It might be as simple as a transistor or capacitor somewhere

yeah but would a faulty transistor/cap or solder cause a relative volume decrease? You can raise/lower volume and mute as normal. One channel is simply quieter than the other

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You could try plugging it in via Ethernet cable and using the app to control it perhaps? Rule out a settings issue at least.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but would a faulty transistor/cap or solder cause a relative volume decrease? You can raise/lower volume and mute as normal. One channel is simply quieter than the other

Yeah, absolutely, if it's in the amplification chain on the power amp side of the receiver. If a failing component is adding extra resistance anywhere, it will reduce the volume on that channel. My old rear end Sanyo radio tuner has the same issues and I need to crack it open as well to check where it's failing.

E: Oh, you should try doing a factory reset if you can too, as a first step before cracking it open. And be careful, there are caps in there that can seriously injure you if you don't discharge them or let them discharge with time first. I got a little cap discharge pen to do it, but there is a way to just wire some resistors and wires to either leg of the charged caps to discharge them as well.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 1, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’m surprised balance isn’t something you can mess with from face controls

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I don't remember if I did a factory reset when I donated my old Onkyo, so give that a shot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there a recommended brand or style of stand to use for PA speakers with a 1.5" post hole?

I'm trying to stay under $150 for two stands but there are all kinds of options at that price point.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is there a recommended brand or style of stand to use for PA speakers with a 1.5" post hole?

I'm trying to stay under $150 for two stands but there are all kinds of options at that price point.

Are you hauling gear to gigs to set up and take down repeatedly or is this for a more static setup? How heavy are the speakers you're putting up?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

They're old peaveys so I'm guessing they're like 30-40 lbs each.

I occasionally set up outdoor movie nights at my son's school and I'm trying to refine my setup a little bit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

They're old peaveys so I'm guessing they're like 30-40 lbs each.

I occasionally set up outdoor movie nights at my son's school and I'm trying to refine my setup a little bit.

These are what every wedding DJ uses. They’re stable stable not too heavy.

https://www.fullcompass.com/brand/ult-ultimate-support/accessories/stands-racks-mounts/speaker-stands-accessories/speaker-stands/

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
How reliable are the "Very Good" and "Like New" descriptors on Amazon when it comes to stereo amplifiers? I'm seeing a Yamaha A-S801 provided by Amazon Warehouse as "Very Good" and one by Gramophone as "Like New."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh nice these are coincidentally exactly what we used for AV support at my college so that is a good sign. The twist lock design is super good iirc.