Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

King Vidiot posted:

It paired well with my second feature from VinSyn, Surf II. Surf II was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen and I kinda liked it. I feel like it's one that'll grow on me with repeat viewings. It's never laugh out loud funny, but I was grinning throughout.

I still need to watch the Theatrical cut of it as I read the tone between the two versions is super different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Couldnt find any info if this was legit or not, but I was looking at a region free player last week and left it in my cart just to think about it and then yesterday an email comes in stating this:

quote:

Thanks for browsing our online store recently. We noticed that you left the following items in your cart without completing your order. Did you find the items you were looking for somewhere else?

220-Electronics.com has the lowest prices online... GUARANTEED! If you feel the price is too high, make us an offer on the entire cart and we will consider selling you all of the items in your shopping cart at that price.

To take advantage of this deal, simply reply back with your Name, Telephone Number, and Shipping Address, as well as your offer. The offer you make should be a dollar amount of what you are willing to spend on the entire shopping cart including shipping. Someone from our sales department will review your offer and respond back within one business day. Thanks again for choosing 220-Electronics.com for your multi-system electronics needs.

Just want to check if anyone has received something like this from them before and if its legit. The email doesnt look funky, the clickable links direct back to my cart and it feels right, but I just want to be sure before I start sending out my name, home address and phone number out into the world.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Lot's of naysayers but I thought Surf II was one of the best 10 for 10 titles I picked up. I liked Creature and Deathrow Gameshow as well but Icecream Man was so bad I could barely finish it.

Trauma was also awful. When I saw Brad Dourif was in it and the effects were by Tom Savini I had to pick it up but loving lol because Dourif was only in it for a minute and there were practically no special effects. Overall it was an interesting film though with how much of a mess it was and it did have good aspects but the fascination with the "love story" with his daughter that took up most of the film could have done without.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

dorium posted:

Couldnt find any info if this was legit or not, but I was looking at a region free player last week and left it in my cart just to think about it and then yesterday an email comes in stating this:

Just want to check if anyone has received something like this from them before and if its legit. The email doesnt look funky, the clickable links direct back to my cart and it feels right, but I just want to be sure before I start sending out my name, home address and phone number out into the world.

The "hey you left this in your cart" e-mails are a dime a dozen nowadays it seems, but I wouldn't respond with personal info to one if you paid me.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I would suggest checking ebay or mercari for a region free player I got a used sony one from some dude for $70.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

esperantinc posted:

The "hey you left this in your cart" e-mails are a dime a dozen nowadays it seems, but I wouldn't respond with personal info to one if you paid me.

Yeah, Arrow gives me similar emails even when I just view an item and they're like "we saw you viewing this. wanna put it in your cart and buy it now? :)"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

esperantinc posted:

Yeah I get those pretty often, but the thing about making them an offer seemed a bit too good to be true which is why I wanted to double check.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I would suggest checking ebay or mercari for a region free player I got a used sony one from some dude for $70.

I'll take a look at mercari, ebay didnt have the player I was looking for at a reasonable price.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like Ronin is getting a UHD release in June. Not exactly a movie filled with eye candy but 90s action/thriller shot at real locations is always gonna be a great candidate for UHD.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It would be interesting to see the time between when I bought a Blu-ray and when the UHD gets released. Interesting and depressing. I’ve had the Arrow Ronin release for about 2 and a half years now.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Went through the process and got a UHD region free player $55 bucks off and used some credit card cash back and only paid $120.

Time to open up all those saved links for imports!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

I know this is over but 220 is super legit. I bought from them last year and a similar thing happened. Anyone else reading this should not hesitate to put stuff in their cart and leave it there.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I Have No Money and I Must Buy
https://twitter.com/arrowfilmsvideo/status/1643639586021687296?s=46&t=oEpvcDhJIEb7zWgUPUfmSw

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dorium posted:

Yeah I get those pretty often, but the thing about making them an offer seemed a bit too good to be true which is why I wanted to double check.

Those shopping cart abandonment emails are automatically triggered by software (which has actually gotten really sophisticated over the years; really it's amazing how far marketing automation has come since I sent my first marketing emails 14 years ago). The offers are usually triggered by your RFM (recency, frequency and monetary value per purchase) data.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 5, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
A day in the office, so of course I went to HMV and spent more money - got the 2022 Curzon Blu-ray release of Paris, Texas, which will be my first Wim Wenders film when I eventually get around to watching it (I'm currently on a ratio of buying five films for every one I watch) - on sale for £12 which ain't too bad.

Also picked up on sale the new 4K remaster of Croupier - after seeing Get Carter at the BFI Southbank last year I've been looking to see some more of Mike Hodges' films - it's nice he got to see some of them re-released and to do new interviews and Q&As before his death this year.

And finally got the Arrow 4K special edition of Wolf of Wall Street, down to £20 which ain't too bad when it comes with all the extra bits and booklets.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Croupier rules, Clive Owen is sexy as hell

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hello thread

I’m kinda moving back into collecting dvds and now blu rays after a long stint of watching whatever Netflix decides to show me

In general is it better to only buy ntsc format or is it not as big a deal anymore?
I have my eyes on some DVDs that are only available in PAL format

For media players, I only have a ps5 and a ps2, but I’m open to buying a dedicated player if I need to. Cheers

Ehhh my question seems to be answered by google. Ps5 can’t play region locked stuff. I’m going to research blue ray players

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 6, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's not really a thing with Blu-rays and modern TVs which have multiple refresh rate options. One thing that can be an issue is Blu-rays which are only available interlaced, which can look bad on an LCD.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

A MIRACLE posted:

Hello thread

I’m kinda moving back into collecting dvds and now blu rays after a long stint of watching whatever Netflix decides to show me

In general is it better to only buy ntsc format or is it not as big a deal anymore?

For media players, I only have a ps5 and a ps2, but I’m open to buying a dedicated player if I need to. Cheers

Ehhh my question seems to be answered by google. Ps5 can’t play region locked stuff. I’m going to research blue ray players

Blu-ray.com is your ultimate resource for what is available on disc, in what region, and if it is region free. Double check to make sure there isn’t already an NTSC release you missed for something you want.

A PS5 is fine for casual movie watching. If you want to all out for a perfect 4K experience, you’d want to go for a dedicated player. I don’t even have a dedicated player and just use an Xbox.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thank you

So I was looking at this collection for example

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jim-Jarmusch-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/115706/

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think you could piecemeal it instead of importing a box set. About half of them are available through Criterion.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok I started just looking for a coffee & cigarettes dvd and it kinda spiraled

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m sorry. The best advice I can give is understand how to shop smart. There are dozens of boutiques labels ranging in size and variety of releases. Each have their own release and sale schedules. Right now, Arrow started a 50% off sale for this month. Next month will have Vinegar Syndrome, then I think Severin and Criterion shortly after, all of them 50% off as well. General releases, I always suggest to shop around the holidays. Target tends to do BOGO type of deals all the time and their online store has a decent selection.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sweet. Lol you don’t have to apologize for anything I love collecting DVDs. Just been through so many moves I don’t have a collection anymore. But I’m at a stable point in my life again and want to start again

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Hello thread

If you end up at the boutique sites, you’ll notice that a lot of the new blu ray releases will come with “slip covers.” These are designed to protect the clear blu ray case within during shipping - you can just throw away or burn the slip cover!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

If you end up at the boutique sites, you’ll notice that a lot of the new blu ray releases will come with “slip covers.” These are designed to protect the clear blu ray case within during shipping - you can just sell them on ebay for dumb money

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

I think about selling the lenticular Invisible Maniac literally every day lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

Lol same

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

So that’s like a collector thing or ..?

I already have a bunch of stupid vinyls u can’t trick me that easily

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In the last month I’ve sold four pretty bad Vinegar Syndrome releases for basically triple what I originally paid for them just because they had slipcovers. And that was after I looked at the average price of other recently sold copies and listed them for 10% less.

Slips look nice but I do not understand the prices people are more than willing to pay for them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

They should make vhses again that’s my preferred format

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

So that’s like a collector thing or ..?

I already have a bunch of stupid vinyls u can’t trick me that easily

Yeah remember when we all hated these shits? Well they’re back, and some companies still make chintzy, cheap ones, but labels like Severin, or Vinegar Syndrome and their 11 or 12(?)partner labels make nice ones with cool designs on very heavy card stock. It’s cool if you’ve always wanted a certain movie - eg. lots of people went for From Beyond and it sold out super fast - but in almost every case you can also buy the movie without the slip, a bit cheaper and with the features intact.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PinkoBastard posted:

If you end up at the boutique sites, you’ll notice that a lot of the new blu ray releases will come with “slip covers.” These are designed to protect the clear blu ray case within during shipping - you can just mail them to dorium. He’ll even pay for shipping!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m sorry. The best advice I can give is understand how to shop smart. There are dozens of boutiques labels ranging in size and variety of releases. Each have their own release and sale schedules. Right now, Arrow started a 50% off sale for this month. Next month will have Vinegar Syndrome, then I think Severin and Criterion shortly after, all of them 50% off as well. General releases, I always suggest to shop around the holidays. Target tends to do BOGO type of deals all the time and their online store has a decent selection.

I believe Kino Lorber is also going to have one starting tomorrow.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

PinkoBastard posted:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Let’s pool our lenticular slip money together and form our own boutique label

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

caligulamprey posted:

PHYSICAL MEDIA WILL NEVER DIE

jesus loving christ

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Liar Lyre posted:

Blu-ray.com
A PS5 is fine for casual movie watching. If you want to all out for a perfect 4K experience, you’d want to go for a dedicated player. I don’t even have a dedicated player and just use an Xbox.

This surprised me - what’s the advantage of a dedicated 4K player? I would’ve thought the $500 PS5 and Xbox Series X would have all the bells and whistles one would need but is that not the case?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tesh posted:

This surprised me - what’s the advantage of a dedicated 4K player? I would’ve thought the $500 PS5 and Xbox Series X would have all the bells and whistles one would need but is that not the case?

One thing that comes to mind is Dolby Vision, I'm not sure if the game consoles are Dolby Vision capable or not. And there are a lot of people who don't even have Dolby Vision capable televisions, which makes it a moot point. It's not a big deal regardless though, Dolby Vision is a nice little extra boost to color depth but it's not a game changer or even something that's always noticeable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there a good blu ray of Black Belt Jones on bluray? Most of what I saw on the web seemed bootleggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that comes to mind is Dolby Vision, I'm not sure if the game consoles are Dolby Vision capable or not. And there are a lot of people who don't even have Dolby Vision capable televisions, which makes it a moot point. It's not a big deal regardless though, Dolby Vision is a nice little extra boost to color depth but it's not a game changer or even something that's always noticeable.

It's an incredible luxury but I also appreciate not having to toggle Game Mode on and off when using the PS5, I'd always forget and wonder why my games were running like poo poo / my movies looked like poo poo