Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

junidog posted:

With a hammer?
Malleus Membrorum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Malleus Membrorum

Mallus phallus

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I didn’t realize anyone would dislike California’s flag enough to try redesigning it into a generic corporate logo.

As a New Yorker I’m very jealous of their flag.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Nordic cross suffers from the same thing as those airline logo things. The first couple are pretty distinctive, but there's only so many you can do before they blend together. Denmark is cool, Sweden and Finland are okay, Norway could work, but good luck remembering which is Iceland and Faroe Islands. And then we get to Scania and Åland and whatever which are just annoying.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

As a nordic cross haver, I'm deeply jealous of Greenland and Sápmi. They're the only ones of us who get it (although the sami flag green makes it look a little busy and with more contrast shading it could pop more)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The flag of Sweden is featured on the coat-of-arms of Finland. I wonder how common that is. (Not Sweden specifically.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
England still has the Valois fleur-de-lys and irish harp quartered, no?

Cope harder, put an Ashoka Chakra on there

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Snowy posted:

I didn’t realize anyone would dislike California’s flag enough to try redesigning it into a generic corporate logo.

As a New Yorker I’m very jealous of their flag.

New York City has an okay flag. Maybe not great, since it's got a seal and all of its symbolism is really dated. Aside from the colonial references, I don't think that anybody cares about NYC's dutch origins. But I think I like it more than California's extinct bear and republic that never was.

NYC also has an assortment of obscure flags for its geographic bits and governmental departments.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Peanut Butler posted:

did u know that pro-slavery bushwhacker forces in the antebellum ks/mo border war used a star on a red background

makes u think...

When Oklahoma became a state, a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy designed this flag, which became Oklahoma's first flag:

However, during the Red Scare of the late 19teens the flag became untenable because of its apparent connection to communism, so a new flag had to be found without such unsavory connotations.
But fear not, Daughters of the Confederacy! The background of the new flag would be explicitly taken from the flag that the Choctaw Nation used when they fought for the Confederacy:

So Oklahoma got a blue background, text (added in the 1940s to promote literacy), a seal, and a callback to the Confederacy for its flag.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 6, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, just remove the text from the California flag and adjust the bear so that it's bigger and closer to the red stripe at the bottom and it'd be a perfectly cromulent flag.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's good as it is the text is cool

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

all these dumb nerds trying to turn everything into a japanese prefectural flag that looks like a logo for an airline from the 80s

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

all these dumb nerds trying to turn everything into a japanese prefectural flag that looks like a logo for an airline from the 80s

you are a mean man with a regrettable sense of taste :mad:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

my sense of taste is impeccable, go back to r/vexillology

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I take it back, let's talk more about how great the Maryland flag is

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

my sense of taste is impeccable, go back to r/vexillology

No it isn't, and how 'bout you go back to prison instead

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's hideous, I love it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

I take it back, let's talk more about how great the Maryland flag is
It's the perfect flag to turn into a pair of big baggy pants for a clown to wear.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guavanaut posted:

It's the perfect flag to turn into a pair of big baggy pants for a clown to wear.

Don't be pissin' on the Crab Flag, son.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mods please rename to the vexillo-carcinological thread, TIA.

e: or is that too long for a username?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Badger of Basra posted:

it's good as it is the text is cool

Wrong

Badger of Basra posted:

Everything should be a tricolore imho, or failing that, some sort of heraldry-inspired flag.

What the French did to their department flags is the greatest sin of all time and - what would you know? It's just text in a lot of cases.

Trademark-rear end loving flag design.

Old flag of drôme:

New:

Old flag of Ain:

New:

Old flag of Gard:

New:

Old flag of Alsace:

New:

I could go on and on until we have them all.

Also, if you're wondering what the numbers are on some of those flags?

Which spot they appear in, alphabetically. Even worse for national pride than just a picture of the borders of your state / department, is using its number in an administrative ledger.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does Gard 3.0 have an NFT I can buy with LiteCoin?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Deltasquid posted:

Which spot they appear in, alphabetically. Even worse for national pride than just a picture of the borders of your state / department, is using its number in an administrative ledger.

Petition to get the department last in the alphabet to change its name to Aaaaaa just so everybody else has to reprint their flags

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Angry Salami posted:

The flag was only officially adopted and standardized in 1980, but the Moor's head design goes back to at least the 1750s, and given that neighboring Sardinia has used a similar emblem since the 13th century, it's likely that it's been in use in Corsica for at least that long.

I would note that while it is supposed to represent a victory over the Moors, the people of Corsica do seem to now see the figure as representing themselves - there is a variant of the flag where the Moor is blindfolded as a prisoner, which has historically often been flown as a sign of protest when the Corsicans feel their rights are being infringed upon.

The "Moor's Head" arms for Corsica first appear in the Gelre Armorial (late 14th century) so the device is quite old indeed.

The flag was popularly "revived" in the 18th century during the Corsican revolution (1729-1769). The popular story is that the Moor used to be blindfolded, but Pasquale Paoli changed it to a headband to represent liberation, enlightenment, and so on. The problems with that story are that 1) as you can see, the Moor is not blindfolded in the Gelre Armorial, nor in any of the other pre-Paoli depictions I've seen, and 2) the Moor's Head flag is depicted on maps in the 1730s well before Paoli took power. (It seems to have been already in use by Theodore von Neuhoff, the alchemist/spy/adventurer who was briefly King of Corsica in 1736.)

As for the original symbolism, it's impossible to say for sure. It may be that it's some sort of "victory over the Moors" thing that was either imported from Aragon or has indigenous roots (Corsica was a frequent target of Muslim raiders in the Early Middle Ages). But in medieval heraldry the "Moor's Head" charge can also represent Saint Maurice, a 3rd century Roman soldier from Egypt who was a popular military saint and the patron saint of the Holy Roman Empire. In the Middle Ages, Maurice was typically depicted as a black African man. This, for instance, is the present day coat of arms of Coburg:

It might be problematic now, but back in the day this was presumably an attempt to honor the patron saint of the Empire. The Nazis actually banned this coat of arms and it was only restored after the war.

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 6, 2023

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
The California flag owns and the only change needed to make it better is the reintroduction of grizzly bears to the state.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a recent-ish transplant to Maryland, people around here have an unhealthy obsession with their flag. As a kid I had to look up what my flag was in the state I grew up. In Maryland the thing is everywhere, on everything, and a big part of people's identity that they will vigorously defend. Very strange state.

Also Old Bay sucks in/on anything that is not crab so stop trying to use it in poo poo like ice cream you weirdos.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
…is there a way we could add old bay to the Maryland flag?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Badger of Basra posted:

Working for an airline I see a lot of airline logos. I’ve devoted more mental energy than I’d like at work pondering what the unifying airline logo theory is that makes so many people independently take that design style as “airline”

Also that’s just Bas-Rhin, not Alsace. The traditional flag is the same as the coat of arms seen here, uniting upper and lower.https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blason_de_l%27Alsace

That’s a proper flag

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 6, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Wrong

Everything should be a tricolore imho, or failing that, some sort of heraldry-inspired flag.

What the French did to their department flags is the greatest sin of all time and - what would you know? It's just text in a lot of cases.

Old flag of drôme:

New:

Old flag of Ain:

New:

Old flag of Gard:

New:

Old flag of Alsace:

New:

Whoever brought about those changes should be sent to the Hague.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

They are legit part of a policy of cultural genocide.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Wrong

Old flag of drôme:

New:

Old flag of Ain:

New:

Old flag of Gard:

New:

Old flag of Alsace:

New:

if you cannot see a difference in these text flags vs. the text on the california flag i'm sorry but you may be on the spectrum

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think France really hates regions or localities having any semblance of pride for themselves instead of the nation as a whole, so I think this is deliberately stamping out regional symbols like they try to do with regional dialects.

It's only a matter of time until they ban the famed american flag with bombs instead of stars.

Discendo Vox posted:

…is there a way we could add old bay to the Maryland flag?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think France really hates regions or localities having any semblance of pride for themselves instead of the nation as a whole, so I think this is deliberately stamping out regional symbols like they try to do with regional dialects.

It's only a matter of time until they ban the famed american flag with bombs instead of stars.

An excellent gang tag option.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stereobreadsticks posted:

The California flag owns and the only change needed to make it better is the reintroduction of grizzly bears to the state.

And also mutagens so that the bears grow two heads.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

At least the flag of Loudoun County isn't boring. To give a bit of context, Loudon is an outer suburb of DC neighboring Maryland. So maybe something rubbed off when it comes to flag design.

Loudoun County posted:

Loudoun's flag is adapted from its coat of arms, modeled after the coat of arms of John Campbell, the Fourth Earl of Loudoun, colonial governor of Virginia after whom the county was named.

The flag represents the agricultural background of the county (the green color); the Monroe Doctrine and President Monroe’s association with the county (the indented or “embattled” edging); and the dairy industry, still so important to the county (the white or silver drops suggestive of milk).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Yeah this thing could use some spicing up

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rebel Blob posted:

At least the flag of Loudoun County isn't boring. To give a bit of context, Loudon is an outer suburb of DC neighboring Maryland. So maybe something rubbed off when it comes to flag design.

looks like a cum rag

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ChubbyChecker posted:

looks like a cum rag

Note: Loudon County has the highest median household income of any county in the nation, $156,821

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

looks like a cum rag, sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

looks like a cum rag

I'll be honest here: I've never seen a cum rag so I'll have to take your word for it. I always imagined they'd be somewhat different, though.