Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Companies like Coca-Cola and Nestle literally payrolled death squads in the 80s and 90s to murder labor leaders and union organizers. This is nothing new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splicer posted:

I ran across some earlier drafts and in one of them Milburn is very worried about the hammerpede, but his mistake was trying to treat it like a dangerous snake. That's a much more interesting take to me.

We know a lot more about the head scene than you're letting on. They've just finished scanning the head and discovered that it's in fact a head in a helmet rather than a head with an exoskeleton. They discover the new growth and then go straight to electrics in the brain. From "this is a helmet" to shock therapy in under a minute.

It's also not what they do, it's what they don't do. They electrocuted its brain to provoke a response, presumably in the "new growth". You know what you do before you do an (insane) experiment? You take before samples. We know they didn't because we see the head the entire time. They pop the top vaguely, vaguely wave some tweezers and scrapers at it while continually backing off from actively using them, and then go full frankenstein.

You don't try to "promote new growth" of an unknown life form out in the middle of the room, you put it in containment /first/ and then do it through a barrier. lol at their slow-rear end conveyor belt.

You keep saying "they don't know they're in a horror film", as if their behaviour would make sense in everything that's not a horror film. You and SMG keep saying "kirk drift" to describe accurate (if humorous) descriptions of readily available scenes. This made me realise something: Shaw doesn't act like she's "not in a horror film", she acts like she's in a Kirk Drifted episode of Star Trek. She'd be duct taping dilithium crystals to the deflector dish before Scottie finished debriefing the captain.

Put an extra few minutes in there of sampling, looking at the results, "oh hey these cells are alive!", and /then/ jam a cattle prod into the brain.

You want to see Vickers sabotage things? Have her suggest they try "waking it up" and then position herself by the door.

But "hey look at these lumps HOOK THE BRAINS TO THE MAINS" in less time than it took Ash to get the Nostromo's airlock open? /Wesley/ would call that impulsive.
The first thing they do is confirm that the sample is sterile. Then they discover there are living cells on the surface of the head, then they try to accelerate the growth of the cells. They A) succeed and B) realize the results are dangerous quickly enough to seal and re-sterilize the head before it pops. So what did they do wrong?

You seem to think several more minutes of runtime should've been added just depicting the scientists taking samples before doing anything. As I write the idea out there, you can probably see the logistical problems with doing that to a movie - what else are you going to steal the minutes from? The good news is, you don't actually have to do that, because the head is not onscreen in one unbroken shot, and as you yourself point out, the scientists bring scrapers and tweezers up to its sides as they're talking about the growth—and, as you don't point out, we're regularly shown the head in profile, with one of the scientists' implements visibly in motion but with its business end hidden behind the head's other side.

So it's actually totally your supposition that no samples are taken! If they logically should take samples, and there's time within which they can take samples, and nothing's stopping them from taking samples, and we are repeatedly shown the scientists in sample-taking position, we can simply use our apprehension of their words and actions to deduce that they are taking samples. Why aren't we shown them scraping up and stoppering the samples? Probably because if you show me a close-up of some aberrant mutant still-alive cells scraped off a decapitated alien head being decanted into a test tube, I'm going to spend the rest of the movie wondering when that test tube is going to explode into a John Carpenter monster. The samples aren't of narrative importance; they can safely be skipped by and assumed (or even straight-up skipped by, since the scientists know they're actually sitting on top of a treasure trove of alien corpses to analyze and might not need to be particularly careful with their first couple).

Splicer posted:

I've been deliberately avoiding this because I'm talking about stupid behaviour not standard stupid movie science, and also we have no idea what voltages are being applied, and also I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that high voltage is needed to kill people because a lot of voltage is required to get through our skin's resistance. If you go through the skin much lower is needed to cause internal burns and damage. Pacemakers operate on centiamps, the electric chair caps out at 16 amps, and they jam 30 to 50 amps straight into the engineer's brain tissue.

Again absolutely happy to be schooled on this by anyone with real knowledge, "subcutaneous electric shock nerve damage voltage" is not getting me anything.

I'm going to go ahead and answer my question from before: electricity does not cause bodies to explode. It might, at high levels, caused them to burn. But the electricity being used in the scene wasn't actually being used at such high levels that it was causing damage; the whole problem is that it was working too well, and restarting some kind of cell growth or mutation that had been slowed down or frozen because the host body was dead. Their problem wasn't that they didn't know how to use their own machinery, but that the machinery had had an unexpected effect, because it was being parasitized by a demon plague rather than just causing a corpse's muscles to twitch.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 5, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Companies like Coca-Cola and Nestle literally payrolled death squads in the 80s and 90s to murder labor leaders and union organizers. This is nothing new.

That’s actually a very good point, I rescind my post. :stonkhat:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DeimosRising posted:

It’s actually wildly improbable that an alien equivalent of a bacteria/virus would have any way to “infect” us at all. It would be adapted to a completely unrelated biology. It’s only because we are the result of science experiment distantly related to the science experiment that makes the spores that anything happens at all.
Yeah, viruses can't replicate without hijacking "familiar" cells so space ebola is a no go, and alien bacteria-esque life forms wouldn't know what to do once inside us other than starve to death. But you could absolutely end up breathing in something that fucks your lungs up hardcore on a mechanical level. More exotically we get rid of a lot of chemicals by sweating them out so something with nasty byproducts could decide we're a very cold deep sea vent.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ferrinus posted:

The scientists of Prometheus aren't incompetent buffoons, they just don't know they're in a horror movie. It's plain by the end of the film that corners have been cut since scientific investigation was never the primary purpose of the mission, but, why would you think that 99th percentile rather than 95th percentile (or whatever) geologists would be better prepared to deal with chaos demons? These guys would've lived if they'd just gotten better grades in school? Sounds like ideology to me.

100%. It's just a slightly different version of the "if a building fell on me, I would simply leap to safety" criticism

Having a PhD doesn't make someone truly smart/successful, it means they passed a lot of tests and are probably (hopefully!) somewhat knowledgeable in that specific field. But there's no guarantees, irl or a Scott Free joint

I know a couple veterinarians who are pretty smart and well rounded outside of zoology and medicine. I also know a MD who is totally hapless outside of the hospital environment, and a published award winning chemist who's an unhinged conspiracy theorist when it comes to politics/society. They're just people, man. Your qualifications won't save you from being eaten!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

The first thing they do is confirm that the sample is sterile. Then they discover there are living cells on the surface of the head, then they try to accelerate the growth of the cells. They A) succeed and B) realize the results are dangerous quickly enough to seal and re-sterilize the head before it pops. So what did they do wrong?

Splicer posted:

You know what you do before you do an (insane) experiment? You take before samples.

Ferrinus posted:

The good news is, you don't actually have to do that, because the head is not onscreen in one unbroken shot, and as you yourself point out, the scientists bring scrapers and tweezers up to its sides as they're talking about the growth—and, as you don't point out, we're regularly shown the head in profile, with one of the scientists' implements visibly in motion but with its business end hidden behind the head's other side.

So it's actually totally your supposition that no samples are taken!
They don't though. You can see they don't. Extremely clearly. You've gone full SMG my friend. Step back from the edge.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just like you don't see Vickers choosing the class dropouts. Where were the pleas about the edge for that one?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

You seem to think several more minutes of runtime should've been added just depicting the scientists taking samples before doing anything. As I write the idea out there, you can probably see the logistical problems with doing that to a movie - what else are you going to steal the minutes from?
If they logically should take samples, and there's time within which they can take samples, and nothing's stopping them from taking samples, and we are repeatedly shown the scientists in sample-taking position, we can simply use our apprehension of their words and actions to deduce that they are taking samples.
There an important thing in films called characterisation. The actors perform things on screen that tell your about the characters they are portraying. For example, in Alien Parker's frequent complaints about his shares do not result in them being eaten by a shares monster later, except in the metaphorical sense. Brett makes a bad decision to let Jonesy go, and a worse decision to go after him, but we previously saw him performing competently as a technician.

Perhaps if they'd wasted some time on showing the Prometheus crew doing smart things we'd be able to assume they did other smart things. They didn't though, so why should we?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splicer posted:

They don't though. You can see they don't. Extremely clearly. You've gone full SMG my friend. Step back from the edge.

No, you don't. In fact you plainly see them coming at the head with scrapers and tweezers.

Remember, we are watching a horror film. If the camera were to zoom in close on one of the scrapers actually carving its way down the side of the head and picking up the gross pulsating blackening flesh, and then dropping that flesh into a test tube which is carefully stoppered, and that test tube is carefully stored in a cabinet, then we in the audience now have a test tube of demon plasma in the back of our minds. For the rest of the movie, we're going to be expecting the demon plasma to explode or infect someone or something. If it's just never shown or referenced again, we walk away confused and annoyed because there's been a legitimate filmmaking mistake, a Chekov's Gun which never got fired.

Now you haven't even bothered to answer my pointing out that A) they make no mistakes applying the electricity, B) the electricity does what it's supposed to, C) they rapidly realize there's a problem and take the appropriate safety precautions such that no one is harmed, etc. All that stuff is actually fine and perfectly on spec. You're just mad they didn't take samples.

...but they did take samples. You're just pretending they didn't because you imagine, for ideological reasons, that the scientists must be incompetent because technical competence would surely, surely have won the way through a horror movie. If bad things happen to people it's because they didn't study hard enough. Unfortunately, the gaps that your god lives in are getting narrower and narrower.

This is like being mad that none of the characters ever go to the bathroom. Don't they realize holding it in for so long is bad for your health?! I thought these were doctors!

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 5, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Splicer posted:

It happens about one minute thirty seconds into the scene you posted a page ago?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

In fact, if they didn't take samples, how did they do the DNA match test that happens in a later scene? Magic?

Perhaps they used the copious samples left behind in the holding chamber, since the head simply burst, leaving copious samples behind, rather than disintegrating into ash or teleporting away into another dimension.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

No, you don't. In fact you plainly see them coming at the head with scrapers and tweezers.
Coming at and /backing away/. Watch the scene. Watch the instruments. It almost seems deliberate how often we see them approach taking a sample and then backing off at the last second. Like it would genuinely have been less effort for them to show them taking samples in that scene, even without extending the runtime. Even when they insert the stimline Shaw is still holding the immaculately clean tweezers in the camera's sightline.

...is it deliberate?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Splicer posted:

Coming at and /backing away/. Watch the scene. Watch the instruments. It almost seems deliberate how often we see them approach taking a sample and then backing off at the last second. Like it would genuinely have been less effort for them to show them taking samples in that scene, even without extending the runtime. Even when they insert the stimline Shaw is still holding the immaculately clean tweezers in the camera's sightline.

...is it deliberate?

You see a character coming at it and backing away from one side... while, behind the head, such that the business end of the implement is obscured (I have written these exact words before but I get the sense you're just skimming my posts), the other character is also working on the head. By the time we see them again, their implement's going to be clean again because they can have scraped whatever was on it into a test tube or something and possibly fully wiped down and/or replaced it. The implication is that actual contact is being made and samples are being collected out of our line of sight.

There a couple reasons they might do this: first, it saves the trouble of making a specific effects shot for a scalpel or piece of tweezers physically damaging their model. But, second, it leaves the samples implied rather than shown for the exact reason that samples which are directly shown and centered on-camera would have greater narrative importance and therefore require greater narrative payoff. If a sample is so crucial to the script that it actually gets waved in front of our faces, we're going to expect to see it again. But it's not actually that important, so we can just assume it happened in the (literal) background, which just explains how the characters were able to do some DNA analysis in a later scene.

To repeat myself again, because you like to just ignore this stuff: we don't see anyone take a poo poo, either.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I thought I'd seen everything ITT when it came to disingenuous arguments and leaps of logic, but people are going to awfully funny lengths to defend a giant alien head exploding in what is clearly meant to be nothing more than a shocking scene.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a cool scene and worth being in the movie

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ruddiger posted:

Just like you don't see Vickers choosing the class dropouts. Where were the pleas about the edge for that one?
I made several multiparagraph posts about how the Vickers theory isn't supported by the text. I'm saying Ferinnus is going full SMG because his interpretation of a specific, linked scene is getting increasingly tortured as he desperately tries to ignore the evidence of his own eyes.

Ferrinus posted:

You see a character coming at it and backing away from one side... while, behind the head, such that the business end of the implement is obscured (I have written these exact words before but I get the sense you're just skimming my posts), the other character is also working on the head. By the time we see them again, their implement's going to be clean again because they can have scraped whatever
While there are multiple cameras cuts, the dialogue makes it clear this is a continuous scene from the opening of the helmet until at least 1:40. There simply isn't time between cuts during that conversation for them to pull, deposit, clean, return. It's wishful thinking. And, again, watch the instruments. They're not just not taking samples, they're pointedly not taking samples. They're playing I'm not touching you with the head. It would have been less effort to show one of them pulling away a scraping.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Splicer posted:

While there are multiple cameras cuts, the dialogue makes it clear this is a continuous scene from the opening of the helmet until at least 1:40. There simply isn't time between cuts during that conversation for them to pull, deposit, clean, return. It's wishful thinking. And, again, watch the instruments. They're not just not taking samples, they're pointedly not taking samples. They're playing I'm not touching you with the head. It would have been less effort to show one of them pulling away a scraping.

Here is a sample being taken. In this shot, Shaw is concentrating on the head in front of her while slowly sweeping the scraper from stage left to stage right.

The reason we're shown the characters playing "I'm not touching you" with their implements while talking to each other and standing over the head, and then shown shots like that in which a character moves their implement while it's obscured by the head, is to demonstrate that the characters are in fact taking samples while at the same time avoiding making the physical samples themselves important plot elements. They're just justifications for the DNA test later (what did they perform the DNA test on, Splicer?) rather than ticking time bombs in their own right.

I take it you do believe none of the characters ever use the bathroom because they're such bad doctors that they don't know you're supposed to?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This thread never fails to amaze, in the things that get argued here.

I don’t mean this as an insult to any of the posters. I’ve done it myself.

It’s just incredible the different types of debates we’ve seen in here, going on eight years now. Total Ouroboros poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

Here is a sample being taken. In this shot, Shaw is concentrating on the head in front of her while slowly sweeping the scraper from stage left to stage right.
Shaw has a tweezers, not a scraper. Ford 8s moving the scraper back and forth in full view in front of the camera but it never touches the head. Shaw has the tweezers behind the head, waving them back and forth but never tweezing or even getting close to the head. We then spend a second or two rapidly cutting between a few angles while what appears to be a continuous conversion occurs over the top without giving Shaw time to move any of her telekinetically acquired samples anywhere.

If you're implying this is supposed to be a montage of a considerably longer scene then wow, that's done lovely directing and editing! Because watching it sure looks like it takes like a minute real time to get sparking!

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a cool scene and worth being in the movie
It's a cool scene that clearly establishes that Shaw is destructively impetuous and an absolutely terrible scientist. It would be be neat if the film did something with this instead of her just being one more clown in the car.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 5, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought I'd seen everything ITT when it came to disingenuous arguments and leaps of logic, but people are going to awfully funny lengths to defend a giant alien head exploding in what is clearly meant to be nothing more than a shocking scene.

Wait, is it a shocking scene, or a stupid scene? Why are you changing it up now?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

You aren't gunna convince me it's a bad movie sorry

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

what did they perform the DNA test on, Splicer?
I don't have the dna scene handy so can you quickly confirm for me that they look at one engineer sample and it comes back matching human yes? Or an I misremembering and they're doing a before and after explosion comparison of two engineer samples?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Splicer posted:

Shaw has a tweezers, not a scraper. Ford 8s moving the scraper back and forth in full view in front of the camera but it never touches the head. Shaw has the tweezers behind the head, waving them back and forth but never tweezing or even getting close to the head. We then spend a second or two rapidly cutting between a few angles while what appears to be a continuous conversion occurs over the top without giving Shaw time to move any of her telekinetically acquired samples anywhere.

If you're implying this is supposed to be a montage of a considerably longer scene then wow, that's done lovely directing and editing! Because watching it sure looks like it takes like a minute real time to get sparking!

I don't think this is a montage, no. I assume the experiment took as long to do as the scene took to watch.

That said, if Shaw's got tweezers, that means she's tweezed onto something and is slowly pulling it away from the surface of the head, in the same way as you might try to remove a piece of sticky tape from some paper without snapping the tape. Or, she might be scraping the flesh with her tweezers, gouging a narrow furrow in the flesh so as to ball up a little boulder of alien biomatter at the tip of her tool by the end of the motion.

Either way, that is one of at least two times that a sample is taken (we sometimes also see the lady with the scraper motioning behind the head, such that point-of-contact is invisible). How do we know for sure a sample is being taken, besides that it'd be weirder if one isn't than one is? Well, the characters analyze the alien DNA in another scene, discovering that it's very close in structure to human DNA.

Now, I want to check the tapes for a moment to make an important point. Remember, this was your actual first take on the scene:

Splicer posted:

A biologist who can understand threat signals would probably have lived longer yes. I'm not sure how much being a better archaeologist would have helped Shaw, but even in non-horror-film settings shooting electricity into one-of-a-kind biological artefacts until they explode is generally frowned upon these days.

This was flatly wrong in multiple ways: they didn't shoot electricity into it until it exploded, and it wasn't one-of-a-kind. But, as soon as this was pointed out, instead of changing your position at all you started looking for smaller and fiddlier details to prove, prove that the scientists were really dumb (which is weird, since even "the scientists are really dumb" doesn't ultimately satisfy you because there's no Big Other reassuring you extradiegetically that the scientists were dumb), until you're finally stuck with "they didn't take any samples" even though they plainly did.

Doesn't this bother you? Wouldn't you prefer to operate in a mode of honest inquiry rather than increasingly-desperate motivated reasoning?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 6, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

they should know that this planet with breathable atmosphere and wheat fields is full of spores that will cause a monster to grow inside you until you explode?

Same reason that you couldn't pay some people to step foot in Australia :haw:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think this is a montage, no. I assume the experiment took as long to do as the scene took to watch.

That said, if Shaw's got tweezers, that means she's tweezed onto something and is slowly pulling it away from the surface of the head, in the same way as you might try to remove a piece of sticky tape from some paper without snapping the tape. Or, she might be scraping the flesh with her tweezers, gouging a narrow furrow in the flesh so as to ball up a little boulder of alien biomatter at the tip of her tool by the end of the motion.
She isn't though. If you look at the scene with your eyes she's not doing that.

Ferrinus posted:

This was flatly wrong in multiple ways: they didn't shoot electricity into it until it exploded,
Yes they did. They did indeed shoot electricity into a head until it exploded. Your attempted rebuttal of "well technically it was the goo and/or decontamination box that exploded it" implies that you think that everything else in this scene was otherwise a good idea. Which is baffling.

Ferrinus posted:

and it wasn't one-of-a-kind.
This is possibly true, but not information they had at the time. This was the only one they'd opened and they had no reason to assume the others were equally well preserved, or exhibited the "new cell growth" they were so excited by. I'll go halves with you on this one.

Ferrinus posted:

But, as soon as this was pointed out, instead of changing your position at all you started looking for smaller and fiddlier details to prove, prove that the scientists were really dumb (which is weird, since even "the scientists are really dumb" doesn't ultimately satisfy you because there's no Big Other reassuring you extradiegetically that the scientists were dumb), until you're finally stuck with "they didn't take any samples" even though they plainly did.
None of this paragraph is true. Look, I'll give you an analogy. I empty a few rounds into a populated house, hit a gas line, and take out the neighbours.

"You shot a house until it exploded!"
"Well, technically the gas line exploded it"
"You also shot two passersby!"
"They obviously shot each other. You can tell by the guns they were carrying."
"They weren't carrying any guns"
"They obviously must have, otherwise they could not have shot each other. Therefore the guns were destroyed in the freak, blameless gas explosion"
"We have footage of you shooting them"
"Can we please stop arguing about who shot who, you're obviously just mad I disproved your bizarre "shot a house until it exploded" claim."

Ferrinus posted:

Doesn't this bother you? Wouldn't you prefer to operate in a mode of honest inquiry rather than increasingly-desperate motivated reasoning?
Don't try to pull a "why is this so important to you?" when you've spent multiple pages holding up a sheet of white paper and trying to say it's black.

Incidentally, the scene I linked ends with Shaw telling Ford to take a sample. That's where they got the one to test. Because they didn't have any from pre-explosion. Would you care to admit you're wrong so you can move on to operating in a mode of honest inquiry rather than increasingly-desperate motivated reasoning?

Yes?

Excellent. So, moving on to the second thing they did wrong:

Ferrinus posted:

The first thing they do is confirm that the sample is sterile. Then they discover there are living cells on the surface of the head,
What on earth do you think "sterile" means???

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 6, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So we're back to "the science is bad" by noted scientist Splicer.

At least no one's hanging their hat on the "human heads totally explode via electricity" talking point anymore (give it a couple months and it'll be parroted again, no doubt).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ruddiger posted:

At least no one's hanging their hat on the "human heads totally explode via electricity" talking point anymore (give it a couple months and it'll be parroted again, no doubt).

You need to learn some reading comprehension skills, and perhaps, what 'a joke' is.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sorry, I didn't realize you spoke for every goon who clung onto the "heads explode via electricity" talking point.

They're all just joking, bro!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My opinion on the scene is:

It’s a cool scene, but it’s not great science. They sterilize the helmet, open it up, and don’t bother to sterilize what’s inside the helmet (and in fact verbally make note of the weird growths on the head after they open the helmet). To use an analogy, if you have a guy in an astronaut space suit and the guy has Bubonic Plague, sterilizing the outside of the suit becomes meaningless if you’re going to open the suit and do nothing.

Granted you can argue “would sterilizing the head do anything, because they’re only sterilizing what we know of and maybe you can’t sterilize space-plague using terrestrial methods”, but the counter argument would be that “good science” would be to pump the brakes the moment you point out that there’s weird growths all over the head I guess, and not even attempting to sterilize once you see weird poo poo is kinda Bad Science.

Sticking an electric needle in the decapitated head to “make it think it’s still alive” is a little wack, considering such a technique has never worked in the history of medical science (heads generally need more than an electric current to live - and to loop back around to the X-files wasn’t the plot of the second movie about a guy doing head transplants or something?), but hey, maybe there have been advancements in science in the whatever years between now and Prometheus. The movie doesn’t really seem to indicate that, but who knows I guess.
But even if tricking it into thinking it’s alive worked, what then? It’s got no lungs or vocal chords so it can’t talk, so was the plan to do a Bad Lip Reading as it mouths words in whatever mystery space language it happens to speak?

The electricity doesn’t make it explode, the electricity seems to reactivate the goo, which keeps the head going even after they turn off the current, and then the goo makes it explode for some reason.

Only after the head explodes does Shaw verbally speak the words “take a sample”.

So are the actions questionable? Yes. But (for me at least) it doesn’t matter because the scene is coasting on the Rule of Cool anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ruddiger posted:

Just so you know I wasn't trying to argue with you here:

Splicer posted:

I've been deliberately avoiding this because I'm talking about stupid behaviour not standard stupid movie science, and also we have no idea what voltages are being applied, and also I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that high voltage is needed to kill people because a lot of voltage is required to get through our skin's resistance. If you go through the skin much lower is needed to cause internal burns and damage. Pacemakers operate on centiamps, the electric chair caps out at 16 amps, and they jam 30 to 50 amps straight into the engineer's brain tissue.

Again absolutely happy to be schooled on this by anyone with real knowledge, "subcutaneous electric shock nerve damage voltage" is not getting me anything.
I wasn't trying to say "so a head totally could explode at 30 amps tho!!!", I was saying that 30 amps seems like a shitload to dump into brain tissue for a whole bunch of non-explodey reasons but I'm genuinely not sure. I'm also not using it in any actual arguments about the scene being bad because, as I said, I'm not actually sure, and also films being bad at basic numbers is too small potatoes to be worth calling out.

But yeah that was supposed to be a chatting about stuff post not a posting enemies post but rereading it in context I can see why it might have read as arguing.

e: if you're angry at me for other reasons that's cool though

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 6, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xenomrph posted:

Sticking an electric needle in the decapitated head to “make it think it’s still alive” is a little wack, considering such a technique has never worked in the history of medical science (heads generally need more than an electric current to live - and to loop back around to the X-files wasn’t the plot of the second movie about a guy doing head transplants or something?), but hey, maybe there have been advancements in science in the whatever years between now and Prometheus. The movie doesn’t really seem to indicate that, but who knows I guess.
But even if tricking it into thinking it’s alive worked, what then? It’s got no lungs or vocal chords so it can’t talk, so was the plan to do a Bad Lip Reading as it mouths words in whatever mystery space language it happens to speak?

"What is that on its head?"
"It looks like new cells, in a state of—"
"—change."
"Changing into what?"

They have no expectations of bringing the engineer back to life, they want to encourage (and observe) the growth of whatever seems to be growing on it's flesh.

They succeed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I actually don't think they're trying to make the head wake up, I think they're trying to trick the skin tissue into thinking it's alive so the bumps do stuff. Still lunacy and done in the dumbest way possible, but it's lunacy with logic behind it as opposed to the psychotic break that trying to revivify a milllenia-old detached head would be.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

"What is that on its head?"
"It looks like new cells, in a state of—"
"—change."
"Changing into what?"

They have no expectations of bringing the engineer back to life, they want to encourage (and observe) the growth of whatever seems to be growing on it's flesh.

They succeed.

They speak the words “maybe we we can trick it into thinking it’s still alive”, I took that to mean “the head” and not “the growths” but on second thought your POV makes more sense.

The Bad Science counter argument then becomes, if they’re trying to reanimate the weird space-growths, why on earth would they apply the current when the head is out in the open, and not in the sterile box? Like, ‘Life’ has better science than that, as does ‘Species’.

But again, Rule of Cool; the tension in the scene is when they realize they hosed up and it becomes a mad scramble to get the head back in the box before something crazy happens.

Edit— on second second thought, genuinely trying to reanimate the head using electricity is a very Victorian gothic horror Doctor Frankenstein thing to do, but I guess that would play more into Covenant than Prometheus.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 6, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oh, we're doing this, huh?

Splicer posted:

She isn't though. If you look at the scene with your eyes she's not doing that.

Yes, she is. Do you have some sort of filmic x-ray vision such that you can see through and behind the prop between the camera and Shaw, and confirm that her tweezers aren't touching it? She sure does seem to be making a careful sweeping motion over it, and her team sure does do a DNA test on the alien biomatter later.

quote:

Yes they did. They did indeed shoot electricity into a head until it exploded. Your attempted rebuttal of "well technically it was the goo and/or decontamination box that exploded it" implies that you think that everything else in this scene was otherwise a good idea. Which is baffling.

No! Wrong! They turned off the current well before the head exploded, and the current did not cause the head to explode. What the current did was revitalize the mutagenic infection that had been lying dormant (but not completely dead) in the alien flesh.

Electric current doesn't explode meat, just burn it. What I think happened to you, and to many Prometheus anti-fans, is you jumbled up the facts of the electric current, glass shielding, and head explosion such that what you actually remembered was some food popping in a microwave. But while microwaves can indeed burst sausages, current cannot burst skulls.

quote:

This is possibly true, but not information they had at the time. This was the only one they'd opened and they had no reason to assume the others were equally well preserved, or exhibited the "new cell growth" they were so excited by. I'll go halves with you on this one.

They got that alien head out of an entire charnel house of dead engineers. You think they should've assumed they managed to pick the only well-preserved one by sheer luck? Looks like I'm 2 for 2.

quote:

None of this paragraph is true. Look, I'll give you an analogy. I empty a few rounds into a populated house, hit a gas line, and take out the neighbours.

"You shot a house until it exploded!"
"Well, technically the gas line exploded it"
"You also shot two passersby!"
"They obviously shot each other. You can tell by the guns they were carrying."
"They weren't carrying any guns"
"They obviously must have, otherwise they could not have shot each other. Therefore the guns were destroyed in the freak, blameless gas explosion"
"We have footage of you shooting them"
"Can we please stop arguing about who shot who, you're obviously just mad I disproved your bizarre "shot a house until it exploded" claim."

This isn't an apt metaphor at all for the scene or our discussion.

quote:

Don't try to pull a "why is this so important to you?" when you've spent multiple pages holding up a sheet of white paper and trying to say it's black.

I'm not actually pulling a "why is this so important to you". I'm telling you why it's important to you: you've zeroed in on the question of whether the scientists took a sample (which they did) before applying electricity because it turns out you described all the other particulars of the experiment incorrectly and indeed no foreseeable mistakes were made throughout. You decided ahead of time that the scientists must be extremely bad at their jobs, but you have to keep seizing on smaller and smaller details to prove it because it turns out the big ones don't support you. Unfortunately, the small ones don't support you either!

I just wanted to bring up the fact that you've said yourself that, even if you ever do prove beyond a shadow of the doubt that all the characters of the film got such bad grades in school they never should've been allowed on the spaceship, you still won't be satisfied, because after all that would be a conclusion you arrived at by making a judgment about the facts rather than a personal assurance from Ridley Scott.

quote:

Incidentally, the scene I linked ends with Shaw telling Ford to take a sample. That's where they got the one to test. Because they didn't have any from pre-explosion. Would you care to admit you're wrong so you can move on to operating in a mode of honest inquiry rather than increasingly-desperate motivated reasoning?

Yes?

No! Samples after whatever weird mold was present inside the head metastasized and burst are obviously of interest above and beyond samples from the head before it was brought back to life.

quote:

Excellent. So, moving on to the second thing they did wrong:

What on earth do you think "sterile" means???

The screen says "no contagion present", which is why it's safe for them to breathe the same air the head's sitting in.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Y'all are acting as if the colonists in Covenant aren't just a bunch of space Mormon emigrants blindly traveling out on the Oregon Trail hoping they don't get smallpox.

Should they have kept their helmets on and checked the atmosphere? Yeah, if they were a highly-trained corporate strike-team. But in actuality they're a bunch of undertrained rubes that The Company is sending out into the unknown.

e: They heard Country Roads playing over their radio, so they "know" humans are down there. It makes sense they'd assume there are no atmosphere issues. There's wheat down there, for god's sake.

Additionally, they do scan the atmosphere and talk about how perfect the planet is for human life, and it turns out the atmosphere is never an issue, they get killed by other things

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, she is. Do you have some sort of filmic x-ray vision such that you can see through and behind the prop between the camera and Shaw, and confirm that her tweezers aren't touching it? She sure does seem to be making a careful sweeping motion over it, and her team sure does do a DNA test on the alien biomatter later.
Gonna have to side with Splicer on this one - Shaw doesn’t touch the head, and all the other shots of Ford with the scraper deliberately show her almost-but-not touching it. Shaw doesn’t say “let’s take a sample” until after the head pops, implying they hadn’t taken a sample yet.

Granted maybe I haven’t been paying enough attention to the debate but I’m not sure what difference it makes if she tried to take a sample before she says “let’s take a sample”. :shrug:

Ferrinus posted:

The screen says "no contagion present", which is why it's safe for them to breathe the same air the head's sitting in.
It was safe to breathe the same air that the sealed helmet was in, which is an important distinction.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 6, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

The logic leaping is coming from the haters, friend. Fwiw I don't think y'all are disingenuous, just genuinely mistaken.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blood Boils posted:

The logic leaping is coming from the haters, friend. Fwiw I don't think y'all are disingenuous, just genuinely mistaken.

I’ll go on the record that I like the scene even if the science is pretty wack under close scrutiny. But in this instance I’d rather let the scene coast on the Rule of Cool and enjoy it than put it under a microscope and convince myself to hate it; nitpicking the (bad) science feels a little too CinemaSins.

But if for other people it’s just another example of dumb characters doing dumb things, just add it to the pile, then yeah I can see how it can chafe.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mister Speaker posted:

Alien, Aliens, Alien Isolation - Cool AND Good
Alien3 - Good but not Cool
Prometheus - Cool but not Good
Alien Resurrection, Alien Covenant - neither Cool nor Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The head-in-a-jar section of Prometheus is a bit silly. Unrelated, does anyone remember the subtitle of Frankenstein?