Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

actionjackson posted:

if you are talking about detached home HOAs, then yes those are bullshit

yeah this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was a millennial until 2012

I'm 42 now

odd how that definition keeps on shifting

you’re still one, I’m one at 40, our age is usually regarded as the oldest part of the cohort.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Villages_News/status/1643754143570427904?s=20

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Starter homes just plain don't exist anymore. Just because it's the cheapest thing doesn't make it a starter home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/upshot/starter-home-prices.html

quote:

Or take the early 1900s bungalows in the Greater Heights area of Houston. Many were cheap rental housing in the 1990s, with chain-link fences and dismal carpeting.

“When you removed the chain-link fence, pulled back the carpet, and painted the walls back to white, these are charming homes which today we sell for $600,000-$800,000,” said Bill Baldwin, a local broker and city planning commissioner.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

quote:

Or take the early 1900s bungalows in the Greater Heights area of Houston. Many were cheap rental housing in the 1990s, with chain-link fences and dismal carpeting.

“When you removed the chain-link fence, pulled back the carpet, and painted the walls back to white, these are charming homes which today we sell for $600,000-$800,000,” said Bill Baldwin, a local broker and city planning commissioner.

lol

Apr 7, 2003

they're just admitting it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this isn’t a country its a strip mall being looted

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
can I have some of the loot?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

no youre poor theyll shoot you for trying to loot anything

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

indigi posted:

why are HOAs legal. I mean besides racism

I figure it's because it also reinforces authoritarianism by giving the shittiest people the tiniest amount of legal authority.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Twerk from Home posted:

Starter homes just plain don't exist anymore. Just because it's the cheapest thing doesn't make it a starter home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/upshot/starter-home-prices.html

The amount of flips I see are crazy. Do minor cosmetic work only and watch desperate people instantly bid when the house has serious internal issues.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

i said i understand the urge to have someone else prepare your food, and you made a comment about doordash. but nothing i said implied using doordash

i was responding to a conversation about doordash

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When the poor do it it's looting

[Picture of shift worker taking a leftover donut]

When the rich do it it's surviving

[Picture of legislators passing bank bailout]

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lol. why didn’t we think of the consequences of constructing all these homes? nooooo

Apr 7, 2003

The Villages is where the people too broke to retire to Fort Lauderdale go

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When the poor do it it's looting

[Picture of shift worker taking a leftover donut]

When the rich do it it's surviving

[Picture of legislators passing bank bailout]

when the rich do it its just good business

Apr 7, 2003

Turns out the seller's agent was lying through his teeth about getting an offer of nearly twice the asking price ($299k).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Another REALTOR(tm) success story

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

actionjackson posted:

what's the alternative to manage common property elements

if you are talking about detached home HOAs, then yes those are bullshit

I was on the board of a condo HOA for like 5 years and its corruption all the way through

$400+ payments just so it can sit in the bank and make the bank/insurance company happy

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
https://www.wptv.com/money/real-estate-news/federal-housing-administration-greenlights-40-year-mortgages

This week the Federal Housing Administration gave the OK to 40-year mortgages. It's a move designed to try and make it easier for first-time home buyers.

"If it helps people get into a house, it's a good thing," Sonsire Gonzalez, a real estate agent in Port St Lucie, said.

good thing you quoted someone who has a vested interest in keeping prices unaffordable

the united states government has completely abandoned the working class

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

next up, congress is debating whether your children can inherit your debt

is this a good thing or a really good thing?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bankrate.com recently compared 30- and 40-year mortgages and found on a $312,000 loan at 6.85% interest, the monthly payments were $2,044 for 30 years and $1,904 for 40 years.

The extra 10 years also added more interest, close to $170,000 more, but in the short term, experts said it can make a difference, especially since many homeowners hardly stay in one house for 30 or 40 years

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
one hundred and forty dollars per month savings lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

one hundred and forty dollars per month savings lol

instead of 40 year mortgages you could just get rid of PMI , but that doesn't make the banks more money

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

Bankrate.com recently compared 30- and 40-year mortgages and found on a $312,000 loan at 6.85% interest, the monthly payments were $2,044 for 30 years and $1,904 for 40 years.

The extra 10 years also added more interest, close to $170,000 more, but in the short term, experts said it can make a difference, especially since many homeowners hardly stay in one house for 30 or 40 years

lmao just being completely open about the goal being to make it so you're just paying interest and never actually building any equity in the home. Might as well just rent at that point because you're taking on all the negatives and risks of home ownership without any of the positives. .

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ice Phisherman posted:

next up, congress is debating whether your children can inherit your debt

is this a good thing or a really good thing?

“anything that helps Americans pay off their debt is a good thing”
-creditors

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

I was on the board of a condo HOA for like 5 years and its corruption all the way through

$400+ payments just so it can sit in the bank and make the bank/insurance company happy

what state was this in?

and yeah that sucks, but we haven't had anything like that at all here, I'm on the board also and have lived here 12 years. the laws in my state make what you describe close to impossible, since we are required to be audited

also you still need to have some sort of association to manage common elements no matter what

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

lmao just being completely open about the goal being to make it so you're just paying interest and never actually building any equity in the home. Might as well just rent at that point because you're taking on all the negatives and risks of home ownership without any of the positives. .

If they go to 40 year mortgages I think it's just gonna make foreclosures more common because like you said, jack poo poo going towards equity the first decade or two. Going to be real tough to refi and not much point in doing so

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1644096111685009411?s=20

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao

i like how it's right next to the house and famous staircase from the exorcist

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ammanas posted:

https://www.wptv.com/money/real-estate-news/federal-housing-administration-greenlights-40-year-mortgages

This week the Federal Housing Administration gave the OK to 40-year mortgages. It's a move designed to try and make it easier for first-time home buyers.

"If it helps people get into a house, it's a good thing," Sonsire Gonzalez, a real estate agent in Port St Lucie, said.

good thing you quoted someone who has a vested interest in keeping prices unaffordable

the united states government has completely abandoned the working class

Fix housing prices?
No! Forever mortgages

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1643939167661961216?s=20

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

400k loan, 6.5%

equity after 5/10/15/20 years is 6.3%/15%/ 27.3%/44% for 30 year, ~2500/month

equity after 5/10/15/20 years is 3%/7.3%/ 13.3%/21.3% for 40 year, ~2340/month

it's only a 9.4% decrease in your montly payment, but you lose half your equity

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
$400,000 loan drat

enjoy west virginia I guess.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

lol

400k loan, 6.5%

That's even worse than I realized. Add in ptax and/or pmi and your monthly payment is probably dropping 5% but your equity gain is obliterated. Guess its a good way to keep people working until their 70s though

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

lol

400k loan, 6.5%

That rules

Apr 7, 2003

I’m going to die in this house

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

stop gloating.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Mortgages as forever-rent seems like a reasonable end goal given that residual income is the one thing the working class are not allowed to have. It should be entirely reasonable for a working person to buy a house in their 20s and pay it off by their 40s, but that would give the average person far too much leverage over their employers in the same way that UHC would remove a major bargaining chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

we'll look for mastershakeman when you do