Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You'll definitely get your money out of wrestling empire. It's a decent wrestling game that is also absolutely hilarious. You can kill someone in a match (or by say throwing them in front of a subway), attend their funeral and throw someone through their coffin, then kill someone else at their tribute show. I killed Andre the Giant by giving him a German suplex over the top ropes and through the metal ring stairs. I played that character so long it started generating new characters, one of which had to face me in their first match. I did the same thing to them, severely injuring them and reducing their already poor stats into the 40s. They were basically Mass Transit.

This sounds loving incredible. If y’all wanna effortpost about this nutty poo poo I wanna hear it.

Though for the min, I guess I’ll just pull the trigger on 2k23 and see how it goes. The last games I played with any regularity were like No Mercy and War Zone and poo poo. I haven’t even followed wrestling in ages and ages. But sometimes you get bit by that nostalgia bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wish they'd up the CAW slots on 2k23; I need a lot more than 100, because when I look at the game's roster ... there's no one I really want to play as.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

This sounds loving incredible. If y’all wanna effortpost about this nutty poo poo I wanna hear it.

Though for the min, I guess I’ll just pull the trigger on 2k23 and see how it goes. The last games I played with any regularity were like No Mercy and War Zone and poo poo. I haven’t even followed wrestling in ages and ages. But sometimes you get bit by that nostalgia bug.

Arn Anderson waved a gun during a promo once because he didn't like what I did to Ric Flair. I do not remember what I did to Ric.

Also I've killed a few people at tribute shows to people who I also accidentally killed in the ring.

Funniest career was with a character I made who was my age (36 at the time) who died after 2 matches. I think I was thrown out of the ring and hit the stairs. Wrestling Empire stairs are no joke.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Arn Anderson waved a gun during a promo once because he didn't like what I did to Ric Flair. I do not remember what I did to Ric.

i mean that's accurate

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Let me introduce you to a man named Andrew Everett

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJXhOnuaEHouPc4aos_wTs1akBKDn0yC2

And how he had royal rumble matches against himself, in loser leaves town matches, lost, lost enough times that when you flunk out of Wrestling School you loving DIE, lost enough times that you can lose dying that it resurrected him BACK TO loving LIFE.

It's such a fascinating watch over time, the NewLegacy boys are pretty funny, and the game is just so hilariously janky.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Saw the Mario movie last night and there's a ton of old school Nintendo references during the Brooklyn scenes. My favorite of which is a poster in Mario's room for a wrestling event with the main event of Starman vs. the Amazon from NES Pro Wrestling. I want that poster.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

BurningBeard posted:

So it turns out that throwing yourself in front of sixteen trains in a row isn’t exactly healthy for your career, but it DOES make you win the game! (And be unable to continue playing).
Or you can rise to the top by throwing everyone else into trains, thus ensuring you never have to have a serious or challenging match.

Really, the most important thing to remember is not not poo poo your pants into the open coffin at the funeral of the people you horribly dismembered. And drink plenty of water!

https://youtu.be/4KYshkyNGME

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Jiro posted:

Let me introduce you to a man named Andrew Everett

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJXhOnuaEHouPc4aos_wTs1akBKDn0yC2

And how he had royal rumble matches against himself, in loser leaves town matches, lost, lost enough times that when you flunk out of Wrestling School you loving DIE, lost enough times that you can lose dying that it resurrected him BACK TO loving LIFE.

It's such a fascinating watch over time, the NewLegacy boys are pretty funny, and the game is just so hilariously janky.

I highly recommend this whole drat thing. NL magic at its finest.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BurningBeard posted:

In their most recent career mode of Wrestling Empire, the New Legacy boys created a character called Poipl Daclown. He had a match where he hit Jim Duggan 20 times in the penis and then suffered a groin injury and died.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
If we're sharing Empire silliness, I was in a match where my opponent went to grab a weapon from under the ring and came back with a bundle of dynamite. The referee saw this and confiscated the dynamite, intending to dispose of it. But before he could, my opponent hit me with a flash roll-up; referee stopped what he was doing and went to count the pin, still holding the dynamite. As soon as he slapped the mat, the dynamite in his hand exploded, blowing all three of us up.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Testekill posted:

In their most recent career mode of Wrestling Empire, the New Legacy boys created a character called Poipl Daclown. He had a match where he hit Jim Duggan 20 times in the penis and then suffered a groin injury and died.

RIP Poipl Daclown.

The saga of NL Slip in one of the older Mdickie games is really god drat funny too https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJXhOnuaEHotnA5ZVjtxeogJUpwRZ1_iu

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Let me tell you the tale of Gnatsune Miku.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Testekill posted:

He didn't just die, he suffered through the grueling agony of being a wrestler trying to deal with healthcare in America. His hospital bed kept getting taken, his wheelchair got stolen in the streets, and his new best friend immediately got ran over by someone on a skateboard

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Did they pull 2K22 off the PlayStation Plus service? My copy doesn't work anymore and lol, it's listed as $79.99 in the store, same price as the new game.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I spent all goddamn morning putting every rear end in a top hat into a team and i go back to look over my efforts and IT DIDNT SAVE A SINGLE loving THING ARRGH gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did they pull 2K22 off the PlayStation Plus service? My copy doesn't work anymore and lol, it's listed as $79.99 in the store, same price as the new game.

Yeah I think they did! I know I had it at some point since I add all the games every month and I looked for it a couple of days ago and saw the same thing.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

BurningBeard posted:

Here's a story from my character John Everyslam III i shared with friends recently

So an update on the career of JE3- I won the tv title in Not WCW, but lost the title in some bullshit tables match, where i went through a table, when suplexing some nerd
Then Eric Bishoff who's running Not AAA wants me to jump ship. Its a 7 week contract, so why not. Reunites my old tag team with Brock Lesnar, and my first match is for the tag titles
My character decides to do a promo saying who knows, maybe he'll go for all the titles including calling out Brock, who has a belt
Going into business for hinself
Update: Typhoon from the Natural Disasters has suffered a major head injury in said tag match

The game is massively janky, but MDickie captured lightning in a bottle and the jank absolutely contributes to the game

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man the older I get the more I appreciate games that build a solid framework of possibilities around a base core. This type of poo poo reminds me of Dwarf Fortress in the best way.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

X JAKK posted:

I spent all goddamn morning putting every rear end in a top hat into a team and i go back to look over my efforts and IT DIDNT SAVE A SINGLE loving THING ARRGH gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUU

The game listened to your booking ideas while typing on a turned off laptop.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Anyone know if 2k23 load times slow to a crawl if you download too many CAWs like every other game?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Wasn’t it just a demo?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Drakkel posted:

Anyone know if 2k23 load times slow to a crawl if you download too many CAWs like every other game?

I haven’t played the game without CAWs so I don’t know the relative difference there, but I wouldn’t say the load times for actual play are that egregious. Doing most things requires more menu clicks than they probably should, though.

I can confirm that the time it takes for downloaded images to render in CAW selection menu is night and day from past entries, it is so much better.

At this point I have to admit 2K23 is really quite good, and not just in a relative sense. It’s technically stable, the new features are things people have asked for and they actually work… it’s probably still too WWE simulationist in terms of match pacing for a lot of people, but it’s a very solid game.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
What do you mean by that last bit? Like it preferences a WWE approach to match flow or what?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Snacksmaniac posted:

Wasn’t it just a demo?

It was the full game that I was playing, with the full roster and all the modes and everything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The issue I always have with 2k is that being on defense is no fun which ruins the back and forth. Maybe 22 and 23 running faster helps that a little but waiting and trying to hit those reversal windows is just not a good time. At least in Fire Pro (when I do play rather than simulate) every grapple is a chance to turn things around.

I was dismayed that an early look at Fight Forever suggested that you don’t have many options on defense either, Yukes may have made another reversal fest, but it’s been a long time since then so who knows what state it’s in now.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the invincible crouch stance just needs to be there from the aki games. That gives you options to attack, grapple, roll away, or do a taunt.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

BurningBeard posted:

What do you mean by that last bit? Like it preferences a WWE approach to match flow or what?

Basically. Generally I think when wrestling gamers talk about “action arcade” vs “simulationist” game design, it’s related to, if not an outright proxy to, the kinds of match psychology / layouts they enjoy. An arcade-y game like SMACKDOWN 2 is the most absurd indie spotfest you can imagine. A simulationist game like WWE2K23 is more aligned with the NXT Paul ideals of long, protracted matches with ring psychology frequently drifting into melodrama / Rocky sequel territory. Hope spots, frequent big sells, etc. More Patterson / Slaughter than Wrestle Kingdom.

Speaking of WK, not a lot of people actually play the damned thing but I guess Fire Pro is specifically where you go to approximate strong style match flow / psychology.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Something ive noticed about 2k23 just from watching the IZWF is that every single ai match, without fail, starts with one of the competitors going for an early pin within the first few moves

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Alaois posted:

Something ive noticed about 2k23 just from watching the IZWF is that every single ai match, without fail, starts with one of the competitors going for an early pin within the first few moves

These guys don’t get paid by the hour

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The issue I always have with 2k is that being on defense is no fun which ruins the back and forth. Maybe 22 and 23 running faster helps that a little but waiting and trying to hit those reversal windows is just not a good time. At least in Fire Pro (when I do play rather than simulate) every grapple is a chance to turn things around.

I was dismayed that an early look at Fight Forever suggested that you don’t have many options on defense either, Yukes may have made another reversal fest, but it’s been a long time since then so who knows what state it’s in now.

I'm honestly a little confused by this explanation, because I don't see much difference? Like, reversing at the start of a grapple in 2K isn't really meaningfully different to getting the timing on a grapple in Fire Pro? In both games if you get out of the rhythm you're basically gonna eat poo poo for a good long time, and if you're good at it then you're gonna take back over quickly. If anything, 2K is more active, because a lot of moves have multiple chances to reverse, and the new breaker system adds even more.

Then again I'm the weirdo who likes the minigames for submissions and pins because it gives me more feedback on why I lose than 'didn't mash button enough but gently caress you we won't tell you if you even had a chance to mash fast enough'.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 8, 2023

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Davros1 posted:

I wish they'd up the CAW slots on 2k23; I need a lot more than 100, because when I look at the game's roster ... there's no one I really want to play as.

You have 4 version of The Undertaker, 3 Triple H's, 12 John Cenas, 3 Randy Orton's, 3 Hulk Hogans, 4 Brock Lesnar, and Roman Reigns. What more do you need? That's enough to have a rumble right there

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I'm honestly a little confused by this explanation, because I don't see much difference? Like, reversing at the start of a grapple in 2K isn't really meaningfully different to getting the timing on a grapple in Fire Pro? In both games if you get out of the rhythm you're basically gonna eat poo poo for a good long time, and if you're good at it then you're gonna take back over quickly. If anything, 2K is more active, because a lot of moves have multiple chances to reverse, and the new breaker system adds even more.

Then again I'm the weirdo who likes the minigames for submissions and pins because it gives me more feedback on why I lose than 'didn't mash button enough but gently caress you we won't tell you if you even had a chance to mash fast enough'.

I mean for 2k it feels like there's a window but it's never consistently the same, while Fire Pro always has the lock up animation. The way the animations in 2k work you can have moves that fake you out because they take forever to actually begin executing or they're too fast to reliably dodge, it's entirely dependent on what the other guy is doing.

On top of which I feel that once you get to a certain damage threshold, you just get outright stunlocked after taking most offense meaning the reversal window is your only chance to do *anything*. Whereas in FPW you do get stunned sometimes but it's usually short (honestly the fact that the game runs at 2x speed by default is one of its big assets here.)

Like I do think Day of Reckoning had more of a feel of momentum being flexible and not just "every hit you take knocks you silly", and while reversals were more complicated the pace felt better overall. And I think early stuff like HCTP, while it was dependent on reversals, was also so fast that all this wasn't a problem. Again, that makes me think 2k22 and 23 maybe are addressing this in the same way but I'd honestly have to see more.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
In terms of actually playing Fire Pro I think that consistency is simultaneously it's biggest strength and weakness.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

He didn't just die, he suffered through the grueling agony of being a wrestler trying to deal with healthcare in America. His hospital bed kept getting taken, his wheelchair got stolen in the streets, and his new best friend immediately got ran over by someone on a skateboard

Died in bed clutching the very same skateboard. Truly a Dark Side Of Da Ring moment

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean for 2k it feels like there's a window but it's never consistently the same, while Fire Pro always has the lock up animation. The way the animations in 2k work you can have moves that fake you out because they take forever to actually begin executing or they're too fast to reliably dodge, it's entirely dependent on what the other guy is doing.

On top of which I feel that once you get to a certain damage threshold, you just get outright stunlocked after taking most offense meaning the reversal window is your only chance to do *anything*. Whereas in FPW you do get stunned sometimes but it's usually short (honestly the fact that the game runs at 2x speed by default is one of its big assets here.)

Like I do think Day of Reckoning had more of a feel of momentum being flexible and not just "every hit you take knocks you silly", and while reversals were more complicated the pace felt better overall. And I think early stuff like HCTP, while it was dependent on reversals, was also so fast that all this wasn't a problem. Again, that makes me think 2k22 and 23 maybe are addressing this in the same way but I'd honestly have to see more.

2K23 has honestly taken a few leads from the fighting game genre. Breakers, and some escape/recovery moves that work more like meter burns, with the signature moves being like a full super meter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

If 2k23 is taking cues from fighting games it must be taking them from some really lovely ones

The only time a wrestling game designed like a fighting game has been good was the Giant Gram series

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

If 2k23 is taking cues from fighting games it must be taking them from some really lovely ones

The only time a wrestling game designed like a fighting game has been good was the Giant Gram series

:shrug: I'm not a huge FGC guy, it just seems that way to me, the whole 'press the same button as opponent to break combo' and 'burn meter to escape stunlock' mechanics seem very fighting game to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

2K23 has honestly taken a few leads from the fighting game genre. Breakers, and some escape/recovery moves that work more like meter burns, with the signature moves being like a full super meter.

That's actually good to hear.

Like I'm still skeptical as to how good the games can be when they're running on the goddamn Engine of Theseus but I may give this one a shot.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
One thing the recent WWE games got rid of that I miss is squash matches. Sometimes it’s fun to have Goldberg beat Drew Gulak in 30 seconds. That and the surprise roll ups were nice too, it was always cool getting a surprise schoolboy pin on someone early in the match just because they missed a charge into the turnbuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Astro7x posted:

You have 4 version of The Undertaker, 3 Triple H's, 12 John Cenas, 3 Randy Orton's, 3 Hulk Hogans, 4 Brock Lesnar, and Roman Reigns. What more do you need? That's enough to have a rumble right there

3 Randy Ortons. lmfao

Dude has lookee and acted the same for 20+ years