Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A second anti-vaxxer has hit the Democratic primary.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1643731567221547008

quote:

Anti-vaccine activist RFK Jr. challenging Biden in 2024

NEW YORK (AP) — Democrat Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an anti-vaccine activist and scion of one of the country’s most famous political families, is running for president.

Kennedy filed a statement of candidacy Wednesday with the Federal Election Commission.

The 69-year-old’s campaign to challenge incumbent President Joe Biden for the Democratic nomination is a long shot. Self-help author Marianne Williamson is also running in the Democratic race.

Kennedy, a nephew of President John F. Kennedy and the son of his slain brother Robert F. Kennedy, was once a bestselling author and environmental lawyer who worked on issues such as clean water.

But more than 15 years ago, he became fixated on a belief that vaccines are not safe. He emerged as one of the leading voices in the anti-vaccine movement, and his work has been described by public health experts and even members of his own family as misleading and dangerous.

Kennedy had been long involved in the anti-vaccine movement, but the effort intensified after the COVID-19 pandemic and development of the COVID-19 vaccine.

His anti-vaccine charity, Children’s Health Defense, prospered during the pandemic, with revenues more than doubling in 2020 to $6.8 million, according to filings made with charity regulators.

His organization has targeted false claims at groups that may be more prone to distrust the vaccine, including mothers and Black Americans, experts have said, which could have resulted in deaths during the pandemic.

Kennedy released a book in 2021, “The Real Anthony Fauci,” in which he accused the U.S.’s top infectious disease doctor of assisting in “a historic coup d’etat against Western democracy” and promoted unproven COVID-19 treatments such as ivermectin, which is meant to treat parasites, and the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine.

His push against the COVID-19 vaccine has linked him at times with anti-democratic figures and groups. Kennedy has appeared at events pushing the lie that the 2020 presidential election was stolen and with people who cheered or downplayed the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

A photo posted on Instagram showed Kennedy backstage at a July 2021 Reawaken America event with former President Donald Trump’s ally Roger Stone, former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn and anti-vaccine profiteer Charlene Bollinger. All three have promoted the lie about the 2020 election being stolen.

The photo was posted but later removed by Bollinger, who has appeared with Kennedy at multiple events. She and her husband sponsored an anti-vaccine, pro-Trump rally near the Capitol on Jan. 6. Bollinger celebrated the attack and her husband tried to enter the Capitol. Kennedy later appeared in a video for their Super PAC.

Kennedy has repeatedly invoked Nazis and the Holocaust when talking about measures aimed at mitigating the spread of COVID-19, such as mask requirements and vaccine mandates. He has sometimes apologized for those comments, including when he suggested that people in 2022 had it worse than Anne Frank, the teenager who died in a Nazi concentration camp after hiding with her family in a secret annex in an Amsterdam house for two years.

Kennedy has at times invoked his family’s legacy in his anti-vaccine work, including sometimes using images of President Kennedy.

His sister Kerry Kennedy, who runs Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, the international rights group founded by their mother, Ethel, said her brother has at times removed some of the content at her request.

She told the Associated Press in a 2021 interview her brother is “completely wrong on this issue and very dangerous.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PT6A posted:

I think anyone who was telling themselves that drinking was healthy and/or free of risk, was deluding themselves and should've known better. It's like when I talked to my mom, a former smoker, about smoking cigarettes.

"The studies weren't out, but obviously we all knew it was unhealthy. Things that are good for you don't make you cough up brown poo poo in the morning."

No, there was absolutely a huge push for the healthy nature of a glass of wine or a dark beer with dinner. It was impossible to get through the 90s without being insisted to that tannins were amazing for your health, and that the best place to find them was red wines and certain beers.

Froghammer posted:

Beyond that, the reality is that no, that person's doctor did not tell them to drink red wine. What their doctor probably told them was that if they have a healthy liver, an active lifestyle, aren't trying to lose weight, aren't at risk for diabetes, and were going to be drinking anyway, then not drinking to excess and only sticking with red wine is probably better for you than beer or hard liquor. That's a far cry from "drinking is good for you, actually".

Nah, doctors were 100% prescribing a glass of wine to their patients with heart disease. My dad was repeatedly told by his doctor that he needed to start drinking red wine as it would help with his arteriosclerosis. It's hard to undersell just how pervasive the notion that a single glass of wine or other tannin heavy beverage was for you.

Obviously people would then drink more than that one drink and insist that it was extra good. However the underlying "science" that was pushed through the various pop-science chains was that while alcohol itself was bad, the magical tannins were what made it good. The coffee, tea, wine, and beer industries stood united in encouraging the media to report on the therapeutic power of tannins, and the easiest way to consume them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I noticed a few bars are serving non alcoholic beers and while I am not a big fan of the taste I know people that are.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I will still drink alcohol, eat cheese and take milk only in cooking or like ice cream and ice cream milkshake and not by itself. I am a millennial.

I will also hope conservatism is crushed and banished to hades.

I am also doubtful there's going to be any sort of primary against Biden that's serious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Madkal posted:

I noticed a few bars are serving non alcoholic beers and while I am not a big fan of the taste I know people that are.

This is probably less about health and more about customers who have no choice about not drinking alcohol (pregnant, medicated, religious)

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Tricia Cotham was also a charter school principal/manager from 2016 until she won this last race. She's likely been cozy with Republicans for a while.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Not an alcoholic, but I think quitting alcohol would destroy my social life. Do you know how boring most recreational activities are? How boring the average person is?

The bar is one of the only “third spaces” Americans have.

Do I really just want to be sober and stay home? I know my partner sure doesn’t.

Naw it's fine, I just order a water or diet coke if I'm feeling fancy, nobody gives a poo poo if you're drinking or not. 100% of the people who have given me grief if I'm not drinking are just unhappy because me abstaining is reminding them that they should be but aren't. There's far less dangerous drugs that help people socialize if it's just an anxiety killer for you, and if you generally just think recreation and other people are dull then booze probably isn't helping as much as you think it is. Every person is a huge weirdo about something, just gotta figure it out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm so glad this person caved so that they can pass extremely important laws like this one

https://twitter.com/Davis_Hammet/status/1643696444719628289?s=20

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gyges posted:

No, there was absolutely a huge push for the healthy nature of a glass of wine or a dark beer with dinner. It was impossible to get through the 90s without being insisted to that tannins were amazing for your health, and that the best place to find them was red wines and certain beers.

Nah, doctors were 100% prescribing a glass of wine to their patients with heart disease. My dad was repeatedly told by his doctor that he needed to start drinking red wine as it would help with his arteriosclerosis. It's hard to undersell just how pervasive the notion that a single glass of wine or other tannin heavy beverage was for you.

Obviously people would then drink more than that one drink and insist that it was extra good. However the underlying "science" that was pushed through the various pop-science chains was that while alcohol itself was bad, the magical tannins were what made it good. The coffee, tea, wine, and beer industries stood united in encouraging the media to report on the therapeutic power of tannins, and the easiest way to consume them.

I'm absolutely shocked that scientists and doctors could be susceptible to bribery and propaganda like this. It makes me so mad that I need to smoke one of the cigarettes that 9 out of 10 doctors recommend!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
All food science is a grift, you hate to see it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Isnt the red wine thing mostly just rich people covering up that red wine and pills taste good together and might be the only wine pairing that tastes good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's true that red wine has antioxidants which are, I guess, good. However there are plenty of other ways to get that including, obviously, grape juice. All the alcohol does is complicate that benefit.

That being said, I still believe there's a mental, emotional benefit that may never be quantified. I'm still glad to dispel any myths involved, because they're ultimately not helpful.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PhazonLink posted:

Isnt the red wine thing mostly just rich people covering up that red wine and pills taste good together and might be the only wine pairing that tastes good.

It was almost entirely the tannins, which were part of the explosion of newly discovered/classified superfoods in the 90s. The alcohol industry just also happened to be one of the leading masters of advertising who were in possession of one of the new fad foods sweeping the nation. Fruit conglomerates may have been able to overthrow governments, but they don't know anything about convincing the public that literal poison is the greatest thing mankind ever discovered.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i've substituted my "one glass of alcohol" for about fifty cups of coffee, no regrets

aside from the constant sweating and lack of sleep

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A second anti-vaxxer has hit the Democratic primary.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1643731567221547008

loving hell, are you people EVER going to run out of goddamn Kennedys? :mad:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nine-gear crow posted:

loving hell, are you people EVER going to run out of goddamn Kennedys? :mad:

I assume so, they're obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third major study in the last year that analyzed 40 years of data and determined that any amount of alcohol is harmful to your health.

There are also not health benefits to drinking a moderate amount of red wine or beer, contrary to many popular assumptions.

Additionally, their findings were similar to others conducted by the WHO and the World Heart Federation that determined that even consuming 2 drinks per week has negative health impacts.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643538978014986240

Well, I'm dead then. NOw watch me live to be 95 years old with 25 I never wanted.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

I assume so, they're obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

But they’re not scraping the ocean floor near Martha’s Vineyard.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm so glad this person caved so that they can pass extremely important laws like this one

https://twitter.com/Davis_Hammet/status/1643696444719628289?s=20

So how is this supposed to work? Coach fingers everyone’s puss before the big game?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

All food science is a grift, you hate to see it.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm absolutely shocked that scientists and doctors could be susceptible to bribery and propaganda like this. It makes me so mad that I need to smoke one of the cigarettes that 9 out of 10 doctors recommend!

PhazonLink posted:

The red wine claim was the result of specific and infamous fraud.

The "moderate drinking" concept was similarly the result of unprecedented and horrendous capture at NIH. NIH has serious issues, but this sort of poo poo was highly abnormal.

Nutrition science is generally an especially severe shitshow for a number of reasons. This does not mean all research, or science, is equally poor.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

So how is this supposed to work? Coach fingers everyone’s puss before the big game?

I imagine you report the kid of someone you don't like or the kid you don't like for being trans and then the football coach gets to thoroughly inspect their genitals because you can't trust the woke activist nurse/doctor.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Epic High Five posted:

There's far less dangerous drugs that help people socialize if it's just an anxiety killer for you,

Like what? I'm honestly curious.

There's not a lot to drink besides water when you go out for dinner if you exclude alcoholic beverages and sugar water. There's a lot of tasty beers out there however.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Chuds are just on a roll today

https://twitter.com/AlannaVagianos/status/1643770222476767234?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carew posted:

I imagine you report the kid of someone you don't like or the kid you don't like for being trans and then the football coach gets to thoroughly inspect their genitals because you can't trust the woke activist nurse/doctor.

I realized immediately after posting that it has to be something that can be applied unequally, as a form of humiliation for troublemakers or kids who are different.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren:Voting on the annual political cartoons awards, the Kellies, has been extended through midnight this Saturday, April 8th.:siren:

The list of nominees begins right here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

Like what? I'm honestly curious.

There's not a lot to drink besides water when you go out for dinner if you exclude alcoholic beverages and sugar water. There's a lot of tasty beers out there however.

2023 and goons need to be taught about diet drinks and tea

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

The problem with getting news from "some rando who posts about politics on Twitter all day" is that occasionally they exaggerate things somewhat.

The bill doesn't actually say anything about genital inspections or anything like that. It legally defines trans women as "male" without regard for their gender identity, bans women's sports teams from having any members legally defined as male, protects trans-exclusionary sports teams from any potential "adverse action" by accrediting orgs or athletics organizations, and creates a private cause of action for students to sue schools that may have allowed a trans woman onto a sports team.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Carew posted:

"yeah I would like to get a second opinion from the coach"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Every school must hire a licensed and bonded state-certified Genital Inspector who is on standby 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to inspect every student's genitals before gym class begins. Rumor has it Matt Walsh is suddenly interested in a career change.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem with getting news from "some rando who posts about politics on Twitter all day" is that occasionally they exaggerate things somewhat.

The bill doesn't actually say anything about genital inspections or anything like that. It legally defines trans women as "male" without regard for their gender identity, bans women's sports teams from having any members legally defined as male, protects trans-exclusionary sports teams from any potential "adverse action" by accrediting orgs or athletics organizations, and creates a private cause of action for students to sue schools that may have allowed a trans woman onto a sports team.

Yes, there won't literally be a Registered Genital Inspector. But even if they only "check your genitals" by reviewing your assigned sex at birth from your birth certificate, they are still basing their determination on whether you can be on a team on what's in your pants. You have to have the "right" genitals to be on the team. It still outs kids as trans, and still creates an environment of fear and shame based on what's in their pants, even if the gym teacher isn't literally looking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Not an alcoholic, but I think quitting alcohol would destroy my social life. Do you know how boring most recreational activities are? How boring the average person is?

The bar is one of the only “third spaces” Americans have.

Do I really just want to be sober and stay home? I know my partner sure doesn’t.

My partner and I do lots of things without drinking. It’s called “having hobbies.”

E: speaking of socializing without drinking, we’re watching cable with our elderly neighbours and there’s a ton of ads for safe gun storage with people talking about suicide/little Timmy having an accident/etc

It’s pretty good for US gun culture

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 6, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Like diet soda or anything with artificial sweeteners? Below is a rough description of what they do to some people.

Dave Barry posted:

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don’t want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seatbelt.

On another note I saw an anti anti-semitism commercial on hotel cable, never knew that was a thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

…while loud-whispering, “Hey, wanna be the center of political attention and powerful policy kingpin everyone wants to get with?”

If all you have to do is flip one Dem, you’ll inevitably find at least one only barely subclinically narcissistic squeaky wheel asking to be pushed into the spotlight à la Sinema, any cash that appears is just to grease said wheel’s descent into “look what you made me do”-ism.

Remember there's also a lot of people who are only Democrats because that's where their path to power was, not the Republicans.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SpeedFreek posted:

Like diet soda or anything with artificial sweeteners? Below is a rough description of what they do to some people.

That's specific noncaloric sweetners, not all noncaloric sweeteners. And noncaloric is not the same as "artificial."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tiny Timbs posted:

Diet drinks still taste disgustingly sweet because that's the point of them. I agree decaffeinated/herbal tea is a great option (or regular tea if it's early in the day), as are the various sparkling waters, either flavoured or unflavoured.

Non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic beverages are nice because cocktails and beer and wine taste good and go better with food, so I think they should also be more widely available.

Bottom line is: if you're trying to rationalize your drinking by arguing it can't be avoided, you are a few decent steps down the road to alcoholism. Arguably moreso than if you just admit you drink because you like the buzz and don't care about the risks.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://twitter.com/mrt/status/1643747124767784962?s=46&t=xjoX4EYhjjJHLNhbe-XLBA

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
uh some absolutely crazy poo poo is going down

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1643781914132725763

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1643781922022096898

this is the lady who whistleblew on ron for cooking the covid books back in 2021 iirc

memes kinda fire tho ngl

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

This is so "Handmaiden's Tale" that Idaho should change its license plate motto from "Famous Potatoes" to "Blessed Be The Fruit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

this is the lady who whistleblew on ron for cooking the covid books back in 2021 iirc

memes kinda fire tho ngl

Yes, although she has also been a bit
. . . eccentric at times herself. For example (without getting into anything more recent), see the "legal issues" section here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebekah_Jones

I mean, I wouldn't put it past Florida/DeSantis, but I guess I'd wait to get confirmation before assuming everything went down exactly as she described.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 6, 2023