Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think what the mavs need is to get rid of kyrie and bring in ime udoka. this exact combo is proven to work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

fart simpson posted:

i think what the mavs need is to get rid of kyrie and bring in ime udoka. this exact combo is proven to work pretty well.

https://twitter.com/AndrewGreif/status/1643797788034207745

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m sure being in LA will do wonders for Udoka’s “being a lousy horndog” problem

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rip 2023 Hawk champions, they're 2 games above .500

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress, I don't want the bulls playing the heat in the play in

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Hot Diggity! posted:

1 seed Bucks :)

:w00t:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

hifi posted:

I think we need some more adjectives then if everyone that's ever been in the NBA is great at basketball

As a rookie Benjamin Simmons was a felicitously compleat crackerjack.

CharlestheHammer posted:

This forums insane hatred of Ben is honestly hilarious. People straight up think he’s faking his injuries. So I don’t think you will get a productive discussion on this

Ben Simmons and Derrick Rose will end their careers with some similar advanced stats. Although their reputations will be very different.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Why are there so many new post oh god no

It would be good if Ben Simmons changed his name to Ben Richards. I'd be posting videos from The Running Man all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVtUM1n-dfg

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 6, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If Cuban is going to do this he should take the Reinsdorf route and disappear for years at a time while sending emissaries out to make up excuses and finger-point. Cuban is probably not capable of doing this.

Vox Nihili posted:

What? The Spurs are a great example of a team that won a ton for years at least in part because they were run really well.

That was Tim Duncan's magical powers.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, I always thought the Spurs were literally the model the Warriors were trying to follow, at least at first. The definition of a well run franchise leading to consistent success.

Once Curry is gone the Warriors will no longer be "run well." That flimflam man Bob Myers will skedaddle right out of there.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
According to Mike Vornukov the nba is being paid out as per contract by diamond sport(bally branded rsns). That could continue for another year or two or they could run out of money, nobody is really sure. That would really be trouble.

The league wants to change how its local rights look because the rsn seems to be a dying thing

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

So basically All-NBA is going to become a young man's award? Hard to see Curry, Lebron, Durant, or in a few years, Embiid, playing 65+ games in a season. I guess that's good for allowing more younger players to secure larger contacts in their prime.

snyprmag posted:

Going to be so many games like the one Jrue played one possession of to get a bonus last year

It should probably be tied to a minute amount as well. I could see a few players doing some sorry string of five minute appearances.

Porfiriato posted:

I'm trying to figure out where the demand for this in-season tournament is coming from. It's not like fans are clamoring for it, so why the push to make it happen?

The owners governors prime ministers have determined that this will make them more $$$ in a variety of ways in the long-term. To wring out as much $$$ as possible. That's the gist of things.

Muddle things and induce more parity. Build more long-term fans around junky teams winning a one game fluke. More gambling hype etc.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

It should probably be tied to a minute amount as well. I could see a few players doing some sorry string of five minute appearances.

The owners governors prime ministers have determined that this will make them more $$$ in a variety of ways in the long-term. To wring out as much $$$ as possible. That's the gist of things.

Muddle things and induce more parity. Build more long-term fans around junky teams winning a one game fluke. More gambling hype etc.
Bill Simmons imposed this via daryl morey. The basic idea is that a huge chunk of people don’t watch pro basketball after opening week until the Super Bowl concludes NFL season. Mid season tournament would potentially bring a March madness type casual fan bump to the NBA.

A pat bev lead bulls team winning the innaugural midseason tournament with a ton of trash talk is what they’re dreaming of.

Or like the Warriors run where Klay finds his legs for four games in a row and shoots them to the tournament championship.

Or even a thing like wemby leading the Pistons to a crazy low odds championship in the mid season tournament, And they bring the chubby guy who bet on the Pistons to sports center to talk about how he won $160,000 and how he’s gonna use it to pay his mortgage

Storylines, upsets, casual fans

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It looks like players won’t be directly owning stakes in teams it’s going to go through an NBA PA hedge fund thing and somehow they would pay their money in and then if a franchise was bought out if the NBA PA hedge fund slot sold along with the main owner the players would get cashed out, details are still coming in.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

I just watched the highlights of Caitlin Clark posting a 40 point triple-double. That was pretty cool.

In the final analysis it appears that Angel Reese's WS/40 dominated everyone else this year:

code:
Player			WS/40
Angel Reese 		0.435
Maddy Siegrist 		0.404
Aliyah Boston 		0.38
Caitlin Clark 		0.367
MacKenzie Holmes 	0.356

WhyteRyce posted:

Jordan Poole looks at it like another date opportunity

The winner of the in season tournament receives one free date with a celebrity of their choice.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Laugh at politics equity better than equality lingo slipping into the cba discussion, “ owners want to build a more equitable playing field for themselves“

Whatever the gently caress that means

In two years older college players who are more ready to contribute straight away could find themselves being picked in the 20s instead of in the 40s

I hate the stars and scrubs notion and we’ve seen how ugly it looked in LA this year. But I guess that’s what we’re getting

Honestly the only thing I really like from the new Cba is that teams are going to be able to keep players they draft and it looks like every roster will not have to flip every two years

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 6, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Storylines, upsets, casual fans

Yeah, I have a feeling they won't want the same team to dominate the tournament and the playoffs/finals. Controversial ref calls could be under a ton of scrutiny.

Feel-good human interest/gambling stories.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Laugh at politics equity better than equality lingo slipping into the cba discussion, “ owners want to build a more equitable playing field for themselves“

Whatever the gently caress that means

Billionaire lingo and jargon. Looking forward to a future team being named the CITY NAME Disruptors.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shaq called! Michigan teen with size 23 feet surprised by NBA legend after sharing shoe story
https://www.yahoo.com/news/shaq-called-michigan-teen-size-150704930.html

Cavauro posted:

The mvp race is heating up. Who do you think will win the MVP award?

The vote gap between Embiid and Jokic narrowed last year (compared to two years back). It could be very close.
Jokic probably hasn't done enough in the eyes of some voters to get the rarefied threepeat. The wow factor is lacking. Maybe if he averaged 30/15/15 or had a PER of 35 or a BPM of 15.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Perhaps many people will list Embiid or Jokic in first place, and put the other one in third or even lower place in order to 'gameify' the system as humans often do without being able to control themselves. And if that happened, maybe the second place player in all of those results (Giannis Antetokounmpo?) could sneak in and shockingly win the MVP award if they got a few first place votes as well. Does the system work this way or is it based on who receives the most first place votes? I don't mind being wrong if that's why this can't happen, or if it's just too farfetched to happen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This last week probably sealed the deal for Embiid. Jokic would've literally been better off not playing in the Rockets game.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It all depends.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

It looks like players won’t be directly owning stakes in teams it’s going to go through an NBA PA hedge fund thing and somehow they would pay their money in and then if a franchise was bought out if the NBA PA hedge fund slot sold along with the main owner the players would get cashed out, details are still coming in.

Players should be able to invest in ownership via an NBA-wide index fund. The meager returns of a poverty franchise balanced out by the booming growth of a title winner. More stability and less risk of accidentally plowing your nest egg into Jordan’s Hornets.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Casey got not-fired-fired. I have 0 faith in Weaver and Gores picking a good replacement. There seem to be a lot of smart young coaches out there, so hopefullly we get one. Or an even smarter old coach. I don't discriminate.

Porfiriato posted:

Players should be able to invest in ownership via an NBA-wide index fund. The meager returns of a poverty franchise balanced out by the booming growth of a title winner. More stability and less risk of accidentally plowing your nest egg into Jordan’s Hornets.

I think that's sort of what's being proposed but not enough details out yet

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These playoffs mystify me. I have NO idea what to expect.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There were 29 possible first round combos on sunday. I think we're down a few

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It is very much a no take is too hot as far as predictions go, at least in the west.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I heard the Sixers are drafting this guy in the first round this year
https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/1643463224405430273?s=20

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Perhaps many people will list Embiid or Jokic in first place, and put the other one in third or even lower place in order to 'gameify' the system as humans often do without being able to control themselves. And if that happened, maybe the second place player in all of those results (Giannis Antetokounmpo?) could sneak in and shockingly win the MVP award if they got a few first place votes as well. Does the system work this way or is it based on who receives the most first place votes? I don't mind being wrong if that's why this can't happen, or if it's just too farfetched to happen.
You vote from 1st to 5th place and it's weighted 10/7/5/3/1, so no, it couldn't really happen like that. I also doubt that they'd split it that way, they didn't have any problem doing Jokic/Embiid in 1st and 2nd for the past 2 years.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Trey Murphy is cool and good. If he can improve his defense and his ability to make 3s while on the move, he'll be a threat to become an All-Star.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You vote from 1st to 5th place and it's weighted 10/7/5/3/1, so no, it couldn't really happen like that. I also doubt that they'd split it that way, they didn't have any problem doing Jokic/Embiid in 1st and 2nd for the past 2 years.
I could def see the people burnt out on Jokic/resentful of Jokic/etc placing him third behind Embiid and Giannis though, whereas Jokic backers may be more magnanimous in putting Embiid second, leading to an Embiid MVP. Maybe I just read too much Sixers posting though and the MVP voters don't actually think like euphornius

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm assuming Embiid is going to win on the strength of the "please shut the gently caress up about this" vote

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That must be why they could only find a small number of people to vote for the MVP. I'd love nothing more than to sabotage one of the players and personally "win", and I don't even have a team or any players that I like. but the voters historically haven't screwed around; that's paraphrasing Spring Break My Heart and taking quite a bit of liberty with it. Hopefully I didn't create any kind of problems by doing that. but the point is that I'm impressed

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Kibner posted:

Trey Murphy is cool and good. If he can improve his defense and his ability to make 3s while on the move, he'll be a threat to become an All-Star.

i think people are sleeping on the pelicans (and clippers) for the postseason a bit. pels got that dawg in em and clippers have kawhi playing out of his mind.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Mavs miss playoffs,win the lottery,draft Wembanyama,sign Kyrie.

Then Victor goes back to Europe because his dad got into an argument with Cuban and Kyrie asks him how he got here from France without falling off the earth.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Kibner posted:

I believe in no god but Zion and if he can finally put together a healthy season the Pels are champs. BOOK IT

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Telluric Whistler posted:

I believe in no god but Zion and if he can finally put together a healthy season the Pels are champs. BOOK IT
Zion will never be healthy.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

temple posted:

I truly hope he can lose just enough mass to keep his joints from be annihilated but keep enough muscle to still be a wrecking ball, the Pels are fun as hell. Also CJ McConnell seems super smart and a future GM based on the one long interview I heard with him.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

temple posted:

permanent load management

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

temple posted:

This is a thread of peace and this is violence upon Kibner, which I will not stand for.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bball Andrew luck IMHO. Sad but factual

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Bball Andrew luck IMHO. Sad but factual

That's not fair, Andrew Luck played three full seasons to start his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
When Zion plays he is loving amazing though which is Andrew luck like