Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Posigniat posted:

I just watched this video on paint thinning and it was really helpful!

https://youtu.be/sBDVPoNXyVI

I just started applying the lessons here and it has changed my life and miniature painting and made it a trillion times better, shouting out this video again, it's by far the single most helpful advice on how to effectively thin my paints for cleaner coverage. I wholly recommend everyone here apply what's being taught here, it's a night and day improvement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm rapidly realizing I no longer have the patience to custom-build bases from scratch all the time. What are the thread's favorite pre-made fantasy scenic bases that distribute in the US?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Crosspost from the 30k and Oath threads. I finished my Night Lords praetor in terminator armor. Now that I took the photo I noticed I have to go back and fix the light on his right leg.

He's gorgeous!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1643953716859420672

Probably going to have 20 finished ghosts today. Kind of funny how quick 'layered drybrushes and zero things picked out' goes.

Edit: Whoops twitter links also automatically share the previous tweet in the chain, only meant to do the last one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The left one looks better imo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In either case dry brush it with some UV poo poo and put a black light somewhere in the room, oof

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's pretty much what I did:

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Heresy (cross)posting, yes I do. Heresy posting, how 'bout you?

Major Spag posted:

More work (but not more play unfortunately).

Here's the full squad:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Major Spag posted:

Man those are sweet

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

moths posted:

That's pretty much what I did:

Hell yeah

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Major Spag posted:

That armour looks very nice.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Man those are sweet

Meatlong Football posted:

That armour looks very nice.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I painted up an Enchanter from Frostgrave. He's just a quick piece to get back into painting. The first time I picked up a brush in 5 years, and probably the 6th or 7th miniature I ever painted in my life.

He's got... a lot of texture on him. I was struggling to revive some near-completely dried paints, and I also really struggled to get paint thinned in ways I liked. You can see clumps of pigment on him, heh. Also, cheapo brushes with split ends. Also, his face sucks - I screwed up the zenithal because he leans forward so much, then contrast guilliman flesh, then decided he's too patchy, better lighten him up, into very thick and clumpy wraithbone, into try again, into try again, into try again. He's got like 12 layers of way too thick paint on his face. :v: Buuuut he's mostly there to help me not be afraid of the brush, not afraid to make mistakes, and be brave in trying to fix them. Also, brush control. I got a lot better throughout the process. I consciously used a cheapo synthetic size 4 with split ends rather than my old Series 7 size one in order to get better at it.

Things I'm happy with: colour choices throughout the miniature. I achieved exactly the colour and feel on the apron I wanted.

Then I did this guy. A YJ test miniature, to try to approximate studio scheme with paints I have, and to practice technique. Didn't bother putting hands on or painting the base (he came on it when I bought him used). I plan to test him (white prime) against two others - one is red undercoat with hardware store primer with heavy zenithal of white so only recesses are red, and another one is going to be white with targeted application of violet ink into recesses. On the other hand, I'm improving so much throughout the process the comparison might end up useless. :v:

Also, I ran out of matt varnish so he doesn't have a final varnish coat on him that would dull the shine of the washes down.

Things I'm not happy with:
There are a few spots where I didn't fix up a different colour. Black leather on pouches and holster didn't come out quite the way I wanted. Made a lot of mistakes with helmet, which was hard to fix without glazing a lot of layers of ivory back on to get back to state zero, and that ended up giving a bit of texture and filling in a detail line on one of the sides. I couldn't just layer up because I'm using Contrast Iyanden Yellow, which gives a tone I really love over white but gets orange if you overdo it. You'll notice on one side of the helmet the red has a nice swoop and on the other it's just straight because I filled in the detail line so I didn't know where the faceplate ended. Pigments I tried on the boots kinda got splotchy instead of dusty.

Things I'm happy with:
Colours came out pretty drat close to studio scheme. Metallic red faceplate looks really cool in reality. Chipping looks even better than I imagined. I improved A LOT with brush control, and comfort in using it. Blends on the chest and stomach came out a lot better than I thought they would. I think he'd be pretty good for tabletop standard.

Here he is from a more tabletop angle:

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 6, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Did my Combat Patrol Intercessors and think I have my recipe for bone armour down now. I've switched to Army Painter bone spray which is a bit different but seems to have gone right.

I now need some rods or paperclips to spray the heads. Forgot to mask the connection points with blu tac sadly.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I painted up an Enchanter from Frostgrave. He's just a quick piece to get back into painting. The first time I picked up a brush in 5 years, and probably the 6th or 7th miniature I ever painted in my life.

He's got... a lot of texture on him. I was struggling to revive some near-completely dried paints, and I also really struggled to get paint thinned in ways I liked. You can see clumps of pigment on him, heh. Also, cheapo brushes with split ends. Also, his face sucks - I screwed up the zenithal because he leans forward so much, then contrast guilliman flesh, then decided he's too patchy, better lighten him up, into very thick and clumpy wraithbone, into try again, into try again, into try again. He's got like 12 layers of way too thick paint on his face. :v: Buuuut he's mostly there to help me not be afraid of the brush, not afraid to make mistakes, and be brave in trying to fix them. Also, brush control. I got a lot better throughout the process. I consciously used a cheapo synthetic size 4 with split ends rather than my old Series 7 size one in order to get better at it.

Things I'm happy with: colour choices throughout the miniature. I achieved exactly the colour and feel on the apron I wanted.

Then I did this guy. A YJ test miniature, to try to approximate studio scheme with paints I have, and to practice technique. Didn't bother putting hands on or painting the base (he came on it when I bought him used). I plan to test him (white prime) against two others - one is red undercoat with hardware store primer with heavy zenithal of white so only recesses are red, and another one is going to be white with targeted application of violet ink into recesses. On the other hand, I'm improving so much throughout the process the comparison might end up useless. :v:

Also, I ran out of matt varnish so he doesn't have a final varnish coat on him that would dull the shine of the washes down.

Things I'm not happy with:
There are a few spots where I didn't fix up a different colour. Black leather on pouches and holster didn't come out quite the way I wanted. Made a lot of mistakes with helmet, which was hard to fix without glazing a lot of layers of ivory back on to get back to state zero, and that ended up giving a bit of texture and filling in a detail line on one of the sides. I couldn't just layer up because I'm using Contrast Iyanden Yellow, which gives a tone I really love over white but gets orange if you overdo it. You'll notice on one side of the helmet the red has a nice swoop and on the other it's just straight because I filled in the detail line so I didn't know where the faceplate ended. Pigments I tried on the boots kinda got splotchy instead of dusty.

Things I'm happy with:
Colours came out pretty drat close to studio scheme. Metallic red faceplate looks really cool in reality. Chipping looks even better than I imagined. I improved A LOT with brush control, and comfort in using it. Blends on the chest and stomach came out a lot better than I thought they would. I think he'd be pretty good for tabletop standard.

Here he is from a more tabletop angle:

For years not touching the hobby I like your paint jobs! Very cool stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its been awhile since i've uploaded anything that i've painted. I have been painting miniatures though!

https://i.imgur.com/BxBbd7p.mp4

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did my Combat Patrol Intercessors and think I have my recipe for bone armour down now. I've switched to Army Painter bone spray which is a bit different but seems to have gone right.

I now need some rods or paperclips to spray the heads. Forgot to mask the connection points with blu tac sadly.

I just scrape with the back of my hobby knife when I forget.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
gws cheap mold line remover that comes in the starter set with a bunch of good paints is great for that as well

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Superglue will hold the heads in just fine, as long as you're not some hamfisted mutant that picks up their minis by the head and smacks them into the table or something

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Paint thinning question for you all. I’ve normally spray primed my minis and then painted using thinned GW, Vallejo, or Army Painter paints, seems pretty standard. (Mostly matte medium to thin, I wasn’t very good at thinning with water. Also I’ve painted like twenty or thirty minis over the last five years, so I still consider myself a novice.)

I have found priming to be one of the big barriers to entry on painting, (I sit down to paint and none of my models are primed and it’s dark out or rainy or whatever and then I can’t find my gloves or something goes wrong and then it’s been six months) so I picked up a bottle of Vallejo white surface primer, which I assume I can paint on. So my question is, do you thin primer as well? I don’t want to obscure details so I’d assume so, but it also feels weird to thin a primer. If so, just water?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Paint thinning question for you all. I’ve normally spray primed my minis and then painted using thinned GW, Vallejo, or Army Painter paints, seems pretty standard. (Mostly matte medium to thin, I wasn’t very good at thinning with water. Also I’ve painted like twenty or thirty minis over the last five years, so I still consider myself a novice.)

I have found priming to be one of the big barriers to entry on painting, (I sit down to paint and none of my models are primed and it’s dark out or rainy or whatever and then I can’t find my gloves or something goes wrong and then it’s been six months) so I picked up a bottle of Vallejo white surface primer, which I assume I can paint on. So my question is, do you thin primer as well? I don’t want to obscure details so I’d assume so, but it also feels weird to thin a primer. If so, just water?

I always thin primer now, whether airbrush or brush-on. I use a mixture of flow improver and drying retarder

Vallejo works great for this.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Arcturas posted:

I've not needed to thin vallejo primer when brushing it on, but results may vary of course.

One thing you might need to keep in mind is that either way it's going to look like you have garbage coverage when you put it on with a brush, but that's actually fine in my experience, it won't affect painting over it - so don't worry too much if the primer coat looks super patchy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sug dun left GW and started her own paint channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlJtOcG1Jks

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Which is the good acrylic spray primer again?

I'm going to be getting some quite large minis very soon and I think priming them with an airbrush would be a mistake.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Working on my Caribbean Stormcast still, washed Yndrasta's wings which muted the colors a but but I'm very happy with it so far.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which is the good acrylic spray primer again?

I'm going to be getting some quite large minis very soon and I think priming them with an airbrush would be a mistake.

Krylon 2x

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm rapidly realizing I no longer have the patience to custom-build bases from scratch all the time. What are the thread's favorite pre-made fantasy scenic bases that distribute in the US?

Etsy is probably the best bet, almost all 3d printed base producers have Etsy retailers selling their bases. Is there a particular look or army you want, I can help search for something specific as I know the 3d print scene pretty well.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=warhammer%20bases&ref=search_bar

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Krylon ultraflat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Helbrecht is my favorite model in all of 40k and I'm finally tackling it...

I've spent as long on these servitors as I usually do on regular characters, but I'm happy with how they turned out... Now to get to the big man, eek

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Primer I've got your primer right here!

(No I won't be using these blasts from the past when I strip and redo the gundam, I'm not that crazy.)

In boring experiment news the vallejo brush on primer worked pretty well with the bunny head pin. It takes a wee bit of effort to scratch it off, so I'm hoping the paint job will be tough enough after varnishing the piss out of it at the end. For now it's halfway base coated:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

AndyElusive posted:

Sug dun left GW and started her own paint channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlJtOcG1Jks

That's awesome, hope she does well with it :)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Count Thrashula posted:

Helbrecht is my favorite model in all of 40k and I'm finally tackling it...

I've spent as long on these servitors as I usually do on regular characters, but I'm happy with how they turned out... Now to get to the big man, eek

Yessssss I love these weirdos. Great job.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Annnnd calling the big man done. God I love this model so much.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any advice on how much Abbandon Black I would need to add to Mephiston Red to get something close to Khorne Red? I’m trying a thing this weekend working with limited colors

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think turning meph red into khorne red would be a tricky process, but you’d probably want to add something like payne’s grey ink rather than just black

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Professor Shark posted:

Any advice on how much Abbandon Black I would need to add to Mephiston Red to get something close to Khorne Red? I’m trying a thing this weekend working with limited colors

You don't need much black to start significantly darkening another colour, but the good thing about paint mixing is the scope for trial and improvement. Probably start with about a 1:5 ratio of black:red and go gradually from there.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

i think turning meph red into khorne red would be a tricky process, but you’d probably want to add something like payne’s grey ink rather than just black

A dark umber could work as well.

Count Thrashula posted:

Annnnd calling the big man done. God I love this model so much.

that looks rad

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the advice- just for some context, my painting set up is at work and I wasn’t able to bring it home due to weather conditions (:canada:), but I really want to paint the adorable Gretchen I got in the mail this weekend, so I decided it would be good and Orky to work with what I have:

Abbadon Black
White Scar
Macragge Blue
Coelia Blueshade
Death Guard Green
Nurgling Green (Dry)
Dryad Bark
Gorthor Brown (?)
Knight Questorous Flesh
Mephiston Red
Troll Slayer Orange
Rakarth
Seraphim Sepia

Some older brushes/ ones I didn’t like to use
Some nail clippers
Some super super fine grit sandpaper
Scissors
A survival knife with a fire rod back

I think that’s it. Basically whatever I didn’t think I needed or stuff I had extra of. I thought it would be fun to work from a more limited kit and see what I can do.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

my only advice on trying to darken a red is that you need way less black than you think you do, and it's better to mix in small amounts using less than you think and adding to it, because we haven't found a way to unmix paints yet.

You could probably get a fantastic gretchen from what you listed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've had this Grey Knight sitting in my 'to finish' pile for too long, so I made strides to get it done - no doubt a few things to tidy up but I'm very pleased. It's got me thinking about a Middlehammer 40k army...