Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That's pretty cool. Not sure it's all that good, but it's cool. More Jorael and other Mirage era poo poo please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jiro posted:

Just to be clear a tri land that does not come into play tapped that bounces a non lair land back to your hand is trash as far as an inexpensive way to mana fix with 3 or more colors on a deck. Ooook

It really is. If you're playing lairs, you're at a steep disadvantage against any decks that aren't. Instead of having a lair on the field and a land in hand, you could have two lands on the field that tap for at least two of the three colors your lair taps for, and if either of them is a dual you're potentially off to the races. And printing them into precons would be exceptionally bad, because they print so many taplands that slow the decks down to begin with. Imagine keeping a three-land hand that's Dimir Guildgate, Temple of Silence and Dromar's Cavern. Yay, you have all your colors on at least two lands! Boo, your curve is essentially 0, 2 (unless you want to play something outside of your turn), 1, 2. Unless your opponents are the battlecruisingest battlecruisers, that's brutal.

WotC likes printing 3+ color commanders, which is fine, they can be really fun and exciting, but is unwilling to print the support for them. There's no reason not to print the triomes into these except that they've decided both that the triomes get to be expensive and that the commander decks don't get to have lands that expensive. Look at the decklists today. The WB deck has both Orzhov Signet and Talisman of Hierarchy. Good! How many guild signets and talismans do the Naya and Esper decks have combined? One: Orzhov Signet again in the Esper deck. Why do the three-color decks have worse artifact fixing than the two-color deck? Why do the three-color decks still have Temple of the False God, which doesn't even make colored mana, where the WB deck has Fetid Heath? Why does the Naya deck play Field of Ruin (not even Demolition Field, the card they made because "oh, poo poo, Field of Ruin isn't worded right for Commander?")

You're right that there's a lack of serviceable ways to play 3+ color decks cheaply. But that's entirely a problem of WotC's making, and "printing bad lands, but different ones" is not a solution.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/12bt8ue/moc_path_of_the_animist/

Can't believe they made Explosive Vegetation a rare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rarity on cards printed exclusively for a specific commander deck is goofynevermind, pauper exists.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Red Players: We want Ad Nauseam
Red Players' Mom: We have Ad Nauseam at home.
Ad Nauseam at home:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

disaster pastor posted:

Imagine keeping a three-land hand that's Dimir Guildgate,

I'm just gonna stop you right there

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Silhouette posted:

I'm just gonna stop you right there

Don't stop me, stop Gavin.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Am I going crazy, or did Gavin say in a video that he was sure the Secret Lair EDH deck would have Rhystic Study, because it was based on a deck of his, and then it didn't? Lmao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Am I going crazy, or did Gavin say in a video that he was sure the Secret Lair EDH deck would have Rhystic Study, because it was based on a deck of his, and then it didn't? Lmao

I don't know what video that was, but his personal decklist was published at one point and a Redditor did an analysis and they basically cut every money card for chaff. $500 in cuts for $50 in additions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/qxbybv/gavins_secret_lair_precon_deck_change_analysis/

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
it cut mana crypt and a handful of swords. some people assumed the secret card would be mystic remora because it needs a reprint and we didn't even get that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dizz posted:

it cut mana crypt and a handful of swords. some people assumed the secret card would be mystic remora because it needs a reprint and we didn't even get that.

Mystic Remora did get a reprint (in a much more widely available product) about a month after the Heads you Win decks actually arrived with people, of course

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
What's pretty remarkable is how well Remora's price is holding up despite having 2 reprints in the past year. It's never been a bank-breaking card even before then, despite its popularity in EDH and especially cEDH, even though its only printing was from a set nearly 30 years ago. I'd have thought the Dominaria Remastered reprint would have made it a dollar rare or something but, surprisingly, all prints except the Secret Lair one are holding at around $5.

It's still worth picking up a couple since it's just that good of a card, though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

What's pretty remarkable is how well Remora's price is holding up despite having 2 reprints in the past year. It's never been a bank-breaking card even before then, despite its popularity in EDH and especially cEDH, even though its only printing was from a set nearly 30 years ago. I'd have thought the Dominaria Remastered reprint would have made it a dollar rare or something but, surprisingly, all prints except the Secret Lair one are holding at around $5.

It's still worth picking up a couple since it's just that good of a card, though.

That Secret Lair art is worth the 4x price tag [to me].

I agree with everything you said, though. I'll be honest, when I first started looking at cEDH I also expected the card to be expensive as gently caress and was very surprised by how affordable it was.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 6, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Agree, the art for that whole lair was incredible and every single card in it is a good one. Definitely one of my favorites overall.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/UVHIY6JT5UaEgb8TMAi68w - I got linked this Yeva cEDH deck. I've always liked Yeva and doing weird crap with her, but I'm not really looking to play cEDH or spend that kind of money. Is this the sort of thing that could be downgraded to just a well-tuned casual deck and still have mostly the same gameplan?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Not really. Earthcraft, Cradle, and Survival do not have budget replacements and are core to the deck's function.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/UVHIY6JT5UaEgb8TMAi68w - I got linked this Yeva cEDH deck. I've always liked Yeva and doing weird crap with her, but I'm not really looking to play cEDH or spend that kind of money. Is this the sort of thing that could be downgraded to just a well-tuned casual deck and still have mostly the same gameplan?

It looks like a combo deck that wants to kill with Finale of Devastation. You can knock ~$2,250 from the deck price by cutting like five cards. I'm not crazy about the setup for "going infinite". I think I'd rather use Marwyn or Heronblade Elite with Umbral Mantle. I think the deck looks way different if you're not looking to combo off, though.

Toshimo posted:

Not really. Earthcraft, Cradle, and Survival do not have budget replacements and are core to the deck's function.

Growing Rites of Itlimoc would be the Cradle replacement, I guess, but it's obviously way worse since it: costs mana, needs you to have four dudes on the field, and has to make it to the end of the turn to actually flip.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 6, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

It looks like a combo deck that wants to kill with
Growing Rites of Itlimoc would be the Cradle replacement, I guess, but it's obviously way worse since it: costs mana, needs you to have four dudes on the field, and has to make it to the end of the turn to actually flip.

It also doesn't work with Ashaya/Yavimaya and bouncing because it returns unflipped.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

It also doesn't work with Ashaya/Yavimaya and bouncing because it returns unflipped.

Just bad all around, yuck

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeva's a tough one to build a budget version of, but there's a lot of cEDH decks that are pretty easy to budget-ify or power down if they don't revolve around expensive cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol, Rebell: https://youtu.be/e_wxjHcy9oo

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mystic Remora did get a reprint (in a much more widely available product) about a month after the Heads you Win decks actually arrived with people, of course

yeah but shame i didn't pull it from my booster box and also shame i needed to spend money to get it.

i got it years ago from a trade, at least the older one and then sat on it for a year because wotc failed to handle this SL in an appropriate timeline.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The temptation of working at a LGS was too great and now I am building a Commander deck. I've only played Magic once before, and that was the free staff draft the owner held for Dominaria Remastered. My coworkers are helping me out as best they can as well. Anyway I hate bugs in real life but fictional bugs are extremely cool and that was what I'm going for with my deck.

It is off to a start! I do plan to hit up Card Kingdom for some other cards that were on EDH rec that our store didn't have, but since I have an employee discount and I was working today anyway, I figured I'd at least get the cards we had at our store right now.

I know that one of my coworkers said that after the creatures were sorted out, I needed to work on ramp, removal and milling, since all that stuff is how I'm going to win. Also just for fun I figure I'm going to throw Mortal Combat in there. Like yeah, it's super easy to counter, but hey if it works a win is a win.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You want Syr Konrad, The Grim, Dreadhound, Crawling Infestation, Lotleth Giant and Spider Spawning at the very least. Good targeted removal in black is basically anything that costs 2 mana or less, and you'll want all of the good cheap card draw spells, like Village Rites, Deadly Dispute, Reckoner's Bargain, Sign In Blood and Night's Whisper.

Also, maybe look into Mesmeric Orb, Altar of the Brood and Forever Young(and the other 5 or so cards that are functionally identical)

Edit: Living Death, Living End, Rise of the Dark Realms, Haunting Voyage, Patriarch's Bidding and Twilight's Call would fit as well

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 8, 2023

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If you're into cEDH, a new resource just dropped: https://edhtop16.com/

It takes the data from any tournament that uses Command Tower by Eminence Gaming, like Mox Masters and Ka0s, and processes that data into stats on the commander(s) overall performance, ranking them by their appearances in tournaments, and then their placement in the top 16.

Rather unsurprisingly, Blue Farm dominates by a lot

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If you're into cEDH, a new resource just dropped: https://edhtop16.com/

It takes the data from any tournament that uses Command Tower by Eminence Gaming, like Mox Masters and Ka0s, and processes that data into stats on the commander(s) overall performance, ranking them by their appearances in tournaments, and then their placement in the top 16.

Rather unsurprisingly, Blue Farm dominates by a lot

Don't #3, 4, and 5 do better at getting to the Top 16 relative to their numbers played?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Don't #3, 4, and 5 do better at getting to the Top 16 relative to their numbers played?

Sorry, I meant dominates as in "sheer number of people playing the deck." 124 appearances is way more than the runner up, Najeela, with 72 appearances.

But for top16/appearance with data worth anything (ie. Toxrill has a 100%, for 1 appearance and 1 win, which doesn't tell us much), yeah, Bruse/Thrasios, Rog/Silas, and Tivit have better conversion ratios

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The deck is titled "Call for Backup"... and it has five creature with Backup. And only one (Mirror Style Master) has an ability that can really impact the game, and it's tied to a six mana card.

Seriously it's like some intern punched "RGW +1/+1 counters" into Gatherer, hoovered in 34 random creatures, added an StP so there would be some reason to buy it, then went back to huffing glue.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

The deck is titled "Call for Backup"... and it has five creature with Backup. And only one (Mirror Style Master) has an ability that can really impact the game, and it's tied to a six mana card.

Seriously it's like some intern punched "RGW +1/+1 counters" into Gatherer, hoovered in 34 random creatures, added an StP so there would be some reason to buy it, then went back to huffing glue.

I do not expect this in a precon because making one that obviously goes off like clockwork would make them unplayable vs each other but:

For like a whole-rear end dollar you can dump Herd Baloth, Scurry Oak, and Ivy Lane Denizen into a deck, and you've got 3 cards that combo with basically a ton of stuff, but also go infinite with each other. GW gets Juniper Order Ranger for 50¢ and can splurge for Cathar's Crusade for :10bux: to round it out.

Like, doing "go wide dudes and/or +1/+1 counters" is bog simple, even on a budget. And you just go infinite and tell the table they have to wipe it or die next turn.

This is why I can't care about doubling season effects unless they are like 1-mana like Hardened scales, because why would I pay 5 for Doubling Season when I could just play one of my 5 infinite engines.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Goddamn these decks are bad. I guess at least Shalai and Hallar are half of a two-card combo with War Elemental and The Red Terror.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I cancelled my preorder of the bw deck since it just looks like accessory cards for ixhel and atraxa decks instead of a new concept.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Gynovore posted:

Uh, Guardian Scalelord? Unless you think that a Sun Titan effect for one less mana can't affect a game. Bright-Palm is pretty great with the right support too. As far as Backup goes, I'm kind of with you there but there's only been one set with the mechanic. It'd be like making a "Foretell Their Death!" deck: there just aren't enough eternal-playable cards for these one-off, limited-focused mechanics to truly form the core of a deck. It's more of a flavor thing on top of a more general +1/+1 archetype. Annoying, but understandable for marketing purposes. There's only so many ways to advertise "this is another +1/+1 deck", and at least backup has the potential to backfill with or for +1/+1 counters.

As far as the other creature selections, I'd have to play it myself to see. On paper it seems... fine? Not fully optimized, of course, but worst case it's a deck with a high density of permanents that all Do Stuff supported by a decent number of ramp and removal options. Might be a little vulnerable to running out of cards with an inexperienced pilot.

Toshimo posted:

I do not expect this in a precon because making one that obviously goes off like clockwork would make them unplayable vs each other but:

For like a whole-rear end dollar you can dump Herd Baloth, Scurry Oak, and Ivy Lane Denizen into a deck, and you've got 3 cards that combo with basically a ton of stuff, but also go infinite with each other. GW gets Juniper Order Ranger for 50¢ and can splurge for Cathar's Crusade for :10bux: to round it out.

Like, doing "go wide dudes and/or +1/+1 counters" is bog simple, even on a budget. And you just go infinite and tell the table they have to wipe it or die next turn.

This is why I can't care about doubling season effects unless they are like 1-mana like Hardened scales, because why would I pay 5 for Doubling Season when I could just play one of my 5 infinite engines.

Have you considered that not having an easily-accessible infinite combo might have been an explicit design choice? Lots of people hate those, especially in a precon setting (not that it doesn't happen on occasion anyway). The deck still has workable stompy green wincons without needing a haste-speed infinite/infinite trampler.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Goddamn these decks are bad. I guess at least Shalai and Hallar are half of a two-card combo with War Elemental and The Red Terror.

Yeah. If Shalai and Hallar end up being super expensive due to hype I'll just buy the precon, but otherwise nah.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm pretty new at making decks and would love some feedback on this one before I order the cards:
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/sdB3TwIgUkyzfwmv7te8qA

It's already more or less at my budget limit.

The idea is to set up combos with Chandra's Ignition and Wall of Blood/Greven/Moltensteel Dragon; or to use Ad Nauseam/Necrologia with Ivory Tower/Venser's Journal and Vizkopa Guildmage; or Aetherflux Reservoir with something like Tainted Sigil to pull it off multiple times. Most other cards are there to gain or drain life, or to protect myself/slow others down.

I don't have many tutors because they seem a little expensive (money wise) but I have plenty of card draw including some really big ones. I'm hoping that'll be sufficient. I also have quite a few wincons compared to my other decks.

I basically got a lot of ideas from more expensive decks and tried to make it fit my budget.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

orangelex44 posted:

Have you considered that not having an easily-accessible infinite combo might have been an explicit design choice? Lots of people hate those, especially in a precon setting (not that it doesn't happen on occasion anyway). The deck still has workable stompy green wincons without needing a haste-speed infinite/infinite trampler.

You need to calm your rear end down, because literally the first sentence of my post was:

Toshimo posted:

I do not expect this in a precon because making one that obviously goes off like clockwork would make them unplayable vs each other

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

All this talk just has me brewing a naya aristocrats deck with persist creatures

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

All this talk just has me brewing a naya aristocrats deck with persist creatures

Grumgully
Melira, Sylvok Outcast
Vizier of Remedies
Juniper Order Ranger
Goblin Bombardment
Impact Tremors
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Altar of Dementia
Phyrexian Altar
Ashnod's Altar

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh I'm way ahead of you buddy :v:

Don't forget Rhythm of the Wild, Ivy Lane Denizen, Renata, Called to the Hunt, Cauldron of Souls, Barkhide Troll, Celebrity Fencer, Heliod, Sun Crowned, Walking Ballista, Blasting Station, Guardian Project, Fanatical Devotion and Altar of the Brood

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You can eldritch evolution a mana dork into Heliod, which could be a neat line.

Shalai and Hallar rules, I've really grown to love the Naya commanders coming out since New Capenna.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'd probably run Rocco as the commander, since there are so many redundant wincons in the deck already, having a repeatable tutor for combo pieces would be nice.