Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Humphreys posted:

Has anyone found a decent rechargable compressed air sprayer? Wanting to knock out my constant purchase of canned air.

I'd probably recommend going on amazon for something like this, but if you really wanna do ali,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003649099842.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got a lot of devalt/Makita power tool battery, is the aliexpress dual use blower/vacuum tool good for car vacuum?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

r u ready to WALK posted:

I should have read the fine print, the m2 slot is sata only. My spare nvme stick didn't work even though it has the right connector type :(

It has a mounting location for a plain 2.5" sata drive though, so I stuck an old ssd in it and it's an excellent little computer for running octoprint and some containers on ubuntu 22.10

Power draw appears to be around 9w idle. The BIOS has an option for auto power on after power loss so it should make a pretty good little server.

Speaking of tiny mystery boxes I bought this one for my mom to replace her 12 year old compaq.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004260803924.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.74.105218020UIPRi

She uses to go to facebook, play solitaire, plants vs. zombies, and stardew valley. Works great. Only problem she has had is the UI changes jumping from Windows 7 to Windows 11. Well, and that this doesn't have a DVD drive so she can't use it to watch movies, she didn't watch movies on her old computer either but she liked that it was theoretically an option. Other than the lack of DVDs it is a great computer for grandmas and such.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Get a sharpie and draw a long line on it, then say you upgraded it to include a dvd drive.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Speaking of tiny mystery boxes I bought this one for my mom to replace her 12 year old compaq.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004260803924.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.74.105218020UIPRi

She uses to go to facebook, play solitaire, plants vs. zombies, and stardew valley. Works great. Only problem she has had is the UI changes jumping from Windows 7 to Windows 11. Well, and that this doesn't have a DVD drive so she can't use it to watch movies, she didn't watch movies on her old computer either but she liked that it was theoretically an option. Other than the lack of DVDs it is a great computer for grandmas and such.

if it really becomes a point you can get an external drive and velcro them together

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I am still trying to process that Compaq was still producing computers for the consumer market 12 years ago.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They're a subdivision of HP now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
HP shouldn't still exist.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

goatface posted:

Hewlitt Pack it up

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What about that cow spot company? Who owns that? Tiger Direct?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

stephenthinkpad posted:

Acer I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSK0pL3B-8

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Acer now owns Gateway Computers, piebald gem of the silicon prairie

Efb

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Good Lord, I had completely forgotten about Tiger Direct for probably about a decade until this post. It also reminded me about PRicewatch which is also gone.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Their current systems are fine. Not great, but fine. I still recommend them to people who just need a basic Windows box and don't want to do anything fancy.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

Good Lord, I had completely forgotten about Tiger Direct for probably about a decade until this post. It also reminded me about PRicewatch which is also gone.

I still have an old Tiger direct tower at work. I use it to send programs to an old cnc mill.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

HP is trash. We used to always wind up with them at my old gov job because gov has no money so the HP vendor would always win the tender. Just absolute garbonzo.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Unperson_47 posted:

PRicewatch which is also gone.

Pretty sure I knew this already, but yeah it’s a bummer. Is there any modern equivalent?

And yes, avoid HP if you can. gently caress HP

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

worst PC and printer my parents owned and I had to maintain were HP. I've had to service poo poo tablets and phones they bought off QVC that were/are better products.

Had a Cow Tools Spot laptop in the mid aughts that was halfway decent for about 6 years, then I insured it and it died a few months later and I got cash money for a new laptop lol. Thanks Gateway for outright bricking so the claim was easy to file.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

namlosh posted:

Pretty sure I knew this already, but yeah it’s a bummer. Is there any modern equivalent?

And yes, avoid HP if you can. gently caress HP

HP laptops are all made to be procurement bait

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They're a subdivision of HP now.

My dad actually worked for them through that process, I can’t remember when they stopped the Compaq badging. Oh the days of the Pretty-Sorry-O

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It's a bit sad that HP used to make some of the best lab equipment in the world and now the brand is just slapped on some of the worst computers money can buy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Professionals here used to pronounce Hewlett-Packard as Hewlett-Paskard (which is... sort of cromulent). Paska is Finnish for "poo poo". Thanks for reading.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

I should have read the fine print, the m2 slot is sata only. My spare nvme stick didn't work even though it has the right connector type :(

It has a mounting location for a plain 2.5" sata drive though, so I stuck an old ssd in it and it's an excellent little computer for running octoprint and some containers on ubuntu 22.10

Power draw appears to be around 9w idle. The BIOS has an option for auto power on after power loss so it should make a pretty good little server.
Came across this review of what looks to be the same unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-knNu1YA4Q

You probably don't need it for your purpose but it looks like you can get some extra performance by cranking up the power limit in BIOS to 30W. Which I don't really get, my N5100 won't go over 8W of package power at full frequency so it seems weird Intel would juice the N100 like that.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

So how did Hewlett Packard "die"?

I remember that in the late 80s and early 90s they had good stuff. Thinking of the pretty drat durable but affordable HP deskjet 500 printers, some super heavy color ones from a bit after that. I assume that was still part of the "old" HP.
Then i kinda lost track of what they made. And suddenly they're making crappy laptops in the mid 2000s.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

LimaBiker posted:

I remember that in the late 80s and early 90s they had good stuff. Thinking of the pretty drat durable but affordable HP deskjet 500 printers, some super heavy color ones from a bit after that. I assume that was still part of the "old" HP.
Then i kinda lost track of what they made. And suddenly they're making crappy laptops in the mid 2000s.

In 1999 they spun off their lab equipment as a company called Agilent, which is still around, but hilariously spun off the electronics test equipment division again as a company called Keysight in 2014. Agilent still exists but I'm having a hard time working out precisely what they do now without the electronics test equipment division - something to do with medical testing, can't quite tell if it's equipment or services.

Keysight gear is still extremely well regarded in electronics.

This doesn't fully answer the question of why, but it's definitely why the HP brand no longer means expensive test equipment.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LimaBiker posted:

I imagine printers and computers stopped being profitable and became a commodity did a number on them

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
HP also spun off HP Enterprise for networking gear, software and consulting so I imagine the original HP is just one guy sitting in a basement who was never informed that the company is dead now.

E: new finger chopper just dropped

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004728085119.html

also this butthole warmer

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004655532031.html

Probably not "new" new but I've never seen these come up

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 6, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Looking for a cheap poncho / hooded blanket I can take camping, something that it doesn’t matter if I fall asleep in it in the dirt. There’s lots of viking / Norse motifs, verging into symbols used by / appropriated by nazi wannabes. This one was kind of uplifting in its proper ali strangeness.

Unrelated, penis hotdog maker and vagina waffle maker. Buy both machines for savings. The video is okay, not too explicit but amusing.

e: There’s multiple videos and I can’t work out how to link to the one using mobile :(

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 6, 2023

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

LimaBiker posted:

They used to make immortal laser printers. That's not a good business model. Then they started selling inkjet ink at literal gold prices, got addicted, and decided that maximizing profits was the way to go. I remember CEO Carly Fiorina leading this transformation. She was not loved by some people.

Also RIP
D I G I T A L

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

mobby_6kl posted:

You probably don't need it for your purpose but it looks like you can get some extra performance by cranking up the power limit in BIOS to 30W. Which I don't really get, my N5100 won't go over 8W of package power at full frequency so it seems weird Intel would juice the N100 like that.

Stuff that ends up in those Aliexpress mini-pcs is often the absolute lowest of barrel scrappings in terms of silicon quality. You need good silicon to run at low power levels so the good poo poo ends up in laptops were you really need the power efficiency, and the floors sweepings end up there where they can still be marginally useful with some cranked up voltage settings since it's either that or the bin.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All these HP talk made me check out HP's wiki page and I don't recognize any consumer product in last 10? years. They didn't even bother to make an android phone.

Now I remember my wife's government laptop is a HP. She swapped 2 or 3 times already, in just one year. poo poo couldn't even hardboot, didn't make post sound. Just junk.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

karoshi posted:

They used to make immortal laser printers.

They replaced all the printers at my old job, notably desktop ones and just have large MFPs. I wound up taking home a laserjet 1610dn, with 2 new toners. I still haven't worn out the one that was in it, and I got it in 2015.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

codo27 posted:

They replaced all the printers at my old job, notably desktop ones and just have large MFPs. I wound up taking home a laserjet 1610dn, with 2 new toners. I still haven't worn out the one that was in it, and I got it in 2015.

I'd still be using my early 2000s laserjet I got from work when they shut down in 2008... Except my phone line took a direct lightning strike and fried the jet direct card (and every other network card connected to that switch)

norp fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 6, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

My mom had been a court transcriber who received tapes of court proceedings at home and printed out the transcripts she created. Her HP LaserJet is still going strong, and she must have bought that thing in...'95? Maybe a little earlier? And this is after years and years of very heavy-duty use.

Meanwhile, yes, my programmer husband has gone through two or three HP laptops provided to him by his company. You think after the first one (or two) failed, they'd learn their lesson.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

All these HP talk made me check out HP's wiki page and I don't recognize any consumer product in last 10? years. They didn't even bother to make an android phone.

Now I remember my wife's government laptop is a HP. She swapped 2 or 3 times already, in just one year. poo poo couldn't even hardboot, didn't make post sound. Just junk.

I just remember my dad had a few iPaq's in the 2000s. For what they were, they were decent little devices. They were our first introduction in GPS navigation and quasi-mobile internet via wifi hotspots.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
HP lost any chance of winning the race when they were handed palm pre back on the day and let the best of the main smartphone OSs die

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

HP lost any chance of winning the race when they were handed palm pre back on the day and let the best of the main smartphone OSs die

palm pre was such a good phone
palm pixi was not
touchpad might've ended up good?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you still have a Pre around you can still put it in use lol. (I sold mine)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Did someone misunderstand how to use a coffee pot?
Or am I missing a secret use mode?
Or do we finally have AI generated aliexpress listings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why are you calling it Ali express? Its been AI express all along?