Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hihohe posted:

Aparently Grant Kirkhope wasnt credited with creating the DK Rap. :smith:

Yeah WTF man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://youtu.be/hvQUTfsnXY4

Some of the voices are off, and some of those jokes didn’t land for me (Cleo’s overreaction for one). Nice that there’ll be some new characters. No Ghandi that I saw, looks like he got replaced.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just got out of the Mario movie.

It loving ruled and I immediately preordered the 4K off Amazon and the special edition Star Tin Blu-Ray from Walmart.

Nintendo said they'd be up to making more movies if this one does well so I'm REALLY hoping it'll do buckets of money for them because I want to see Yoshi.

Since Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt is the first video game I ever played, this was better than the Sonic movies for me and I absolutely loved those too.

Bowser singing caught me off guard but I should've known better...it's Jack Black for gently caress's sake. But still loved it...and he gave Bowser some amazing pipes in both times he sung. He even wrote the song! Also the piano cover on Kamek's fingers scene felt very dark for Nintendo haha. Loved it all and must have more. Might see if my friend wants to go this weekend before Easter.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nintendo said they'd be up to making more movies if this one does well so I'm REALLY hoping it'll do buckets of money for them because I want to see Yoshi.

I was super gutted and really worried to find out that the brief appearance Yoshi made in the trailer was literally the only appearance in the entire movie! :smith:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hihohe posted:

This is some loving bullshit, right here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doomrider7 posted:

I think for better or worse(mostly worst...actually REALLY worst) we've reached a point where EVERYTHING needs to justify it's own existence and things can't just be made with no real deep complexity and just be fun for funs sake. This nugget from The Guardians review exemplifies the issue.

There's a feeling that you're SUPPOSED to be embarrassed at being a goofy cartoony videogame and being comfortable with that. I see it a LOT in anime discussions where anything that is even SLIGHTLY looked forward to that isn't the prophesied second coming is pretty much burnt at the stake. This is no different. It's a big goofy Mario movie made for fans of the games that can be enjoyed by everyone and it's comfortable with that.

Edit: Reading the comments apparently the guy who did the review(2/5 by the way) also gave Puss in Boots a 2/5 and Endgame a 5/5(I mean for what it was and what I was looking for so would I or close to it). So yeah, critics be fickle.

Apparently if you look it up, pretty much every critic who's savaging the Mario movie gives fawning reviews to the MCU.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1638916218257125376
this is the kind of mario content i want

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently if you look it up, pretty much every critic who's savaging the Mario movie gives fawning reviews to the MCU.

Ah yes the 'It's only trash if it's animated'

never mind MCU movies can be up to 70% CGI

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm definitely wondering if it's an animation thing then or something else. Like not viewing these more simple (and as Robindaybird said, sincere) movies as "proper".

Robindaybird posted:

Ah yes the 'It's only trash if it's animated'

never mind MCU movies can be up to 70% CGI

Funny thing is that I actually do love the MCU movies and wished the DC ones would lean more into that light hearted absurdity and whimsy of being comic book movies instead of feeling dour and cynical. If not an animation thing, I think it's an issue of it being "proper" films that discus more "complex themes and topics".

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 6, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm with 7th Guest I know millenials are much more fond of Mario than Minions but why are people defending a movie from critics when almost no one has seen it (other than critics). It would be one thing if people had seen the movie and could actually disagree with the critics, but they haven't :psyduck:

edit: also it's not, like, absurd to suggest that some kids media is deeper and more complex than others. Nobody is going to say Ice Age 5 and Spirited Away are equal.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 6, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Das Boo posted:

I really wanted an Eizouken dub so I could watch the animation harder, 'cause drat.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1643650894414635009

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

FINALLY

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

mario

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 6, 2023

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

and luigi

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Superstar saga

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

(Mario movie spoilers) It’s weird that I can say now that Mario has (or had) daddy issues.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 6, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mycot posted:

I'm with 7th Guest I know millenials are much more fond of Mario than Minions but why are people defending a movie from critics when almost no one has seen it (other than critics). It would be one thing if people had seen the movie and could actually disagree with the critics, but they haven't :psyduck:

edit: also it's not, like, absurd to suggest that some kids media is deeper and more complex than others. Nobody is going to say Ice Age 5 and Spirited Away are equal.

Heck, based on a lot of the critic reviews I've read (both positive and negative) it comes off like the movie seems to expect the viewer to already be a Mario fan in a way that sounds like it could be pretty rough if they're not coming at it from that perspective. Doesn't sound like a case of "pretentious" critics or critics hating on animation or w/e.

Srice fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 6, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NieR Occomata posted:

if this movie came out three months ago I’d be a lot higher on it but it exists in a world where someone utterly nailed a cinematic video game adaptation for basically the first time ever so now the bar has been raised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlzzD-dHJ1g

Hihohe posted:

That's an instant 1 out of 5 stars, movie's trash

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Macaluso posted:

Here's the most damning thing against the worthless critic score

:colbert:

I can't believe that almost half of the films that have a RT "splat" are actually good!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NieR Occomata posted:

if this movie came out three months ago I’d be a lot higher on it but it exists in a world where someone utterly nailed a cinematic video game adaptation for basically the first time ever

The gently caress are you talking about? Cyberpunk: Edgerunners came out way longer than three months ago, and Arcane came out even earlier than that. Also, have people already memory holed The Witcher for some reason?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
“First good video game adaptation” is the “first gay Disney character” discourse but for video gaymes

as noted the first video game adaptation that was nailed was super Mario bros in 1993

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The original Mortal Kombat film is a perfect Mortal Kombat film, and frankly, is good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

as noted the first video game adaptation that was nailed was super Mario bros in 1993

Bleck posted:

The original Mortal Kombat film is a perfect Mortal Kombat film, and frankly, is good.

Hell yeah

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bleck posted:

This. Honestly Mortal Kombat was loving entertaining on it's own even if you know nothing about the games, and Linden Ashby stole the show as Johnny Cage.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rhonne posted:

The only licensed music that should be used in a Mario movie is Walk the Dinosaur!

really, just make the whole soundtrack was (not was)

knocked down, made small (treated like a rubber ball)
smile
bow wow wow wow
tell me that I'm dreaming
go now!
big black hole

and so on

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

Are you somehow surprised that a movie titled Super Mario Bros stars Mario?

Like…what? Is this a serious complaint? That they’d decide to have quite literally the most famous video game character of all time as the star of a movie that has his name in the title? Were you literally born yesterday?

It kinda helps build the narrative that even though a woman might be more competent, her role is still to support the less competent man that gets all the spotlight.

Like, according the trailers Peach is already more than capable to handle Bowser, why do they need Mario?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

It kinda helps build the narrative that even though a woman might be more competent, her role is still to support the less competent man that gets all the spotlight.

Like, according the trailers Peach is already more than capable to handle Bowser, why do they need Mario?

Maybe watch the movie and you'll find out!

vvv: Yeah, but that also sums it up. Peach doesn't refuse good help when she needs it, and Mario shows he's able to learn fast, endure unpleasant things, and keep on practicing until he gets better. He's basically her sidekick, and equally grateful for her help and guidance in an unfamiliar world.

Actually kinda interesting with them being humans in the Mushroom Kingdom; It seems implied that humans are actually larger, stronger and more athletic than most of the various sentient species of that world, besides the Kongs and Bowser himself.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 6, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alhazred posted:

Mario
* is recognized by Peach as being Human so she gets to bond over being the odd person out in an anthropomorphic funland
* is the reason the Kongs join up because he foolishly challenges Donkey to a fight
* it out to save Luigi throughout

In the end, it's a case where victory happens thanks to the sum of the folks that contribute. Even if Mario's painted as the hero, the others have their own role to play and are not diminished as side-kicks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mario movie is extremely average but I still really enjoyed it because of Nintendo kid since age 4 bias and a significant amount of good references and easter eggs, as well as a mostly excellent voice cast (and even Pratt is fine tbh! the trailers showed off most of his worst deliveries!). Really liked the visuals/designs too, and overall more jokes landed than didn’t.

Biggest issue were the story being too generic and paper-thin, Luigi disappearing for around 35 minutes (the movie is so short they could have done a sub-plot where he escapes and then accidentally ends up in a spooky mansion or idk something [although probably better if they save that for a more substantial role in a sequel]), and worst of all those goddamned loving garbage post-Shrek excruciatingly obvious needledrops. Why the gently caress would you do this, especially when 1. the score is fuckin fantastic and 2. there are so many other great pieces of Mario-adjacent music to crib from. Just so depressing they follow that post-Shrek trend even when adapting a franchise with such timeless iconography. Bah.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

:justpost:-Shrek

Using Holding Out For a Hero was pretty bad

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 6, 2023

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Speaking of Shrek!
This just came up in my events... :

For you Denverites... https://www.axs.com/events/479941/swamp-gala-tickets

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alhazred posted:

Well the other option is she’s just a damsel in distress and doesn’t do anything except be Mario’s prize so…

Yeah sorry princess peach isn’t going to be the main character in a Super Mario Brothers movie.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Aw, the Iwata credit was a really nice detail.

Would've been nice if they'd done the same for Kirkhope, mind

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
somehow, when I saw this trailer months ago I thought it was related to Princess Mononoke in some way, because that film ended with a kind of dawn of industrialization and I thought it would be a kind of Avatar series 1 to series 2 kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTrg0c1Q5k

anyway, I found out it's actually a completely unrelated series from 2007 and it's frickin' incredible. I've only watched the first two episodes but I've never seen anything else put together like this.

If you're a fan of animation I recommend you try and watch it.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

wait, are they rereleasing mononoke or something? people keep talking about it all of a sudden. it's amazing, still the only anime series i have ever watched in full

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
supposed to be a movie in production

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

starkebn posted:

somehow, when I saw this trailer months ago I thought it was related to Princess Mononoke in some way, because that film ended with a kind of dawn of industrialization and I thought it would be a kind of Avatar series 1 to series 2 kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTrg0c1Q5k

anyway, I found out it's actually a completely unrelated series from 2007 and it's frickin' incredible. I've only watched the first two episodes but I've never seen anything else put together like this.

If you're a fan of animation I recommend you try and watch it.
Yeah Mononoke is a fantastic twisty turny horror series and it takes full advantage of digital animation to look nothing like other animated shows.

Also Mononoke is itself a spinoff of "Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales" which was nowhere as good overall but had every few episodes be a new story with a completely different animation style and the last 3 "goblin/ghost cat" episodes of it are fantastic and basically a pilot for Mononoke proper, they must have impressed so much they got their own series.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856346/

Amusingly, Ayakashi is old enough that it was still made in 4:3

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 7, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the Mononoke movie is supposedly out in Japan in Feb '23 but not sure when international distribution (if it's even picked up yet) will be. The original series is definitely worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

deong posted:

Speaking of Shrek!
This just came up in my events... :

For you Denverites... https://www.axs.com/events/479941/swamp-gala-tickets

I wish we had real culture here so badly