Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Whatever she has been up to, trying to get back at her by charging a 13-year old with terrorism over posting a jpeg is loving vile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
He’s so going to be our president. lol.

So anyways, Clarence Thomas has been taking bribes:

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-scotus-undisclosed-luxury-travel-gifts-crow

quote:

IN LATE JUNE 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef.

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn't necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too.

For more than two decades, Thomas has accepted luxury trips virtually every year from the Dallas businessman without disclosing them, documents and interviews show. A public servant who has a salary of $285,000, he has vacationed on Crow's superyacht around the globe. He flies on Crow's Bombardier Global 5000 jet. He has gone with Crow to the Bohemian Grove, the exclusive California all-male retreat, and to Crow's sprawling ranch in East Texas. And Thomas typically spends about a week every summer at Crow's private resort in the Adirondacks.

The extent and frequency of Crow's apparent gifts to Thomas have no known precedent in the modern history of the U.S. Supreme Court

These trips appeared nowhere on Thomas' financial disclosures. His failure to report the flights appears to violate a law passed after Watergate that requires justices, judges, members of Congress and federal officials to disclose most gifts, two ethics law experts said. He also should have disclosed his trips on the yacht, these experts said.

Will he see any repercussion? I mean, his wife was involved in the coup so uh.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 6, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Slashrat posted:

Whatever she has been up to, trying to get back at her by charging a 13-year old with terrorism over posting a jpeg is loving vile.

Eh, put me in the skeptical camp until there’s an actual charge filed…

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Kalit posted:

Eh, put me in the skeptical camp until there’s an actual charge filed…

DeSantis tricked and basically kidnapped and human trafficked immigrants to score political points, arrested people for voting and engaged in countless petty abuses of power to punish his political enemies,

Wtf would you give that Nazi piece of poo poo the benefit of the doubt?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skex posted:

DeSantis tricked and basically kidnapped and human trafficked immigrants to score political points, arrested people for voting and engaged in countless petty abuses of power to punish his political enemies,

Tbh I'm somewhat on the skeptical side as well because it's so comically stupid, but also the question becomes "why now?". It's been years since she has been relevant to DeSantis, and while "cruelty is the point" there isn't really anything he gets out of this that hasn't already been done in the past.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Automata 10 Pack posted:

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-scotus-undisclosed-luxury-travel-gifts-crow

not without a Dem majority in the house. Not without a spine majority either considering the amount of optics poisoning. Unless he resigns himself the AG wont risk committing politics by charging a political opponent before an impeachment.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tbh I'm somewhat on the skeptical side as well because it's so comically stupid, but also the question becomes "why now?". It's been years since she has been relevant to DeSantis, and while "cruelty is the point" there isn't really anything he gets out of this that hasn't already been done in the past.
It sends a message to his other political enemies. But also, it’s more cruelty and he’s a sadist who gleefully tortured Muslims.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Skex posted:

It’s not trust in DeSantis, but distrust in an extremely far fetched story (in multiple ways) by someone who has lied a lot

For the biggest specific reason why I’m skeptical: how has no news outlet printed a story on this? It shouldn’t be hard to confirm a 13 year old that was arrested and has since been in custody for nearly 12 hours

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Well now the other Justices are going to be angry THEY didn't get at least $500,000 bribes a year.

Though I can assume they all are getting bribes they don't declare too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalit posted:

It’s not trust in DeSantis, but distrust in an extremely far fetched story (in multiple ways) by someone who has lied a lot

What are you accusing this woman of lying based on?

So far you are in good company with your skepticism, the cop who murdered Breonna Taylor agrees!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 6, 2023

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

CuddleCryptid posted:

She said in the second tweet that she just started a lawsuit against the state.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think we should believe the woman who says that a known fascist governor is using the power of the state to attack her family. It doesn't require a huge stretch of the imagination given all the things we know about Desantis. If it turns out she's lying, then yeah gently caress her. But for now, practically and morally speaking, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doubting her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

"In a 6-3 decision by the SCOTUS, not only is bribing Chief Justices fine, but it is now mandatory to bribe them".

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Weren't there a lot of rumors and allegations that Scalia had the same kind of relationship(s)? I'm not sure if "bribery" is the correct term unless there was an established quid pro quo, but I'm pretty sure Thomas isn't (wasn't) the only one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is the most salient point from that thread. Pretty on the nose from someone who just sleeps through arguments. He’s completely bought and paid for, doesn’t care, knows he’s untouchable, and doesn’t give the slightest poo poo about keeping up appearances. Must be free’ing.

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1643932027215904775?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Shooting Blanks posted:

Weren't there a lot of rumors and allegations that Scalia had the same kind of relationship(s)? I'm not sure if "bribery" is the correct term unless there was an established quid pro quo, but I'm pretty sure Thomas isn't (wasn't) the only one.

Scalia was even more shameless about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It's possible that it hasn't been processed yet or that her son has a different last name than her, but there is no minor with the last name of Jones who was charged with a crime in Florida in the last 24 hours in NCIC.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

So far you are in good company with your skepticism, the cop who murdered Breonna Taylor agrees!

Did you read the legal issues section of the wiki entry posted earlier? Just huge Main Character/Cookie Monster PJ pants in public energy.

That doesn’t disqualify her outright, but does justify healthy skepticism.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fluffs McCloud posted:

This gets really expensive really quick. I love hop waters, mocktails, and numerous decent non-alcoholic beer. That said, having drunk them extensively when cutting back or going dry for periods of time, my tabs easily doubled from not sipping on a tallboy of Rainier or Montucky, or even a well spirit. As with so many things, good luck if you're already barely getting by.

just get a club soda with lime. classic sober drink.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

But for now, practically and morally speaking, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doubting her.
There is a practical benefit to not looking like a total loving sucker. Until there is any information about it from anybody but Jones herself I am reserving judgement. Personally, I don’t see what we have to gain from accepting her account uncritically…

I trust she is working with lawyers and in contact with the press, and if there is a story here it will be covered.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Did you read the legal issues section of the wiki entry posted earlier? Just huge Main Character/Cookie Monster PJ pants in public energy.

That doesn’t disqualify her outright, but does justify healthy skepticism.

The part about a past relationship at a university she taught? Not sure I agree with this assessment of its relevance

"Accused of editorializing the way she was arrested for whistleblowing" doesn't seem very damning either.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 6, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Randalor posted:

"In a 6-3 decision by the SCOTUS, not only is bribing Chief Justices fine, but it is now mandatory to bribe them".

They previously ruled that in order to count as a bribe, one or more of the listed types of payment:
  • a bag full of cash and emblazoned with dollar signs
  • highly valuable goods clearly labeled with their value
  • maybe services, but it's got to be very obviously and loudly declared quid pro quo while being performed
Must be paired with all of the following:
  • a verbal or written exchange that clearly and without obfuscation conveys the sentiments of "With this money I am bribing you" and "I accept your bribe and will now do a specific action for this bribe money"
  • Concrete and clear actions that directly execute the paid for behavior. Subtle wielding of influence is just not something that can be legally defined as either quid or quo.

Pretty clear that Thomas has yet to be bribed.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FizFashizzle posted:

This is the most salient point from that thread. Pretty on the nose from someone who just sleeps through arguments. He’s completely bought and paid for, doesn’t care, knows he’s untouchable, and doesn’t give the slightest poo poo about keeping up appearances. Must be free’ing.

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1643932027215904775?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Behind the Bastards has a good multi-part episode about Clarence Thomas, and he really is a fygm shithead.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-clarence-thomas-story-99759984/

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's possible that it hasn't been processed yet or that her son has a different last name than her, but there is no minor with the last name of Jones who was charged with a crime in Florida in the last 24 hours in NCIC.

Let's also keep in my mind that 12 hours is a quick turn around time for a reputable journalist to turn around a news story. To say there isn't anyone picking it up right now, doesn't mean anything.

Also, to add, did anyone see that Musk added NPR as a US State Media arm on Twitter?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Let's also keep in my mind that 12 hours is a quick turn around time for a reputable journalist to turn around a news story. To say there isn't anyone picking it up right now, doesn't mean anything.

Also, to add, did anyone see that Musk added NPR as a US State Media arm on Twitter?

NPR sure did.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FizFashizzle posted:

Man, I bet whoever was on the judiciary committee when Thomas was appointed feels like a dumb rear end in a top hat now!

Seriously though, whether any of this rises to a crime is irrelevant because he'd have to be impeached + convicted to be removed. Obviously that's far outside of the realm of possibility.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cat botherer posted:

Man, I bet whoever was on the judiciary committee when Thomas was appointed feels like a dumb rear end in a top hat now!
I know you didn’t specifically say this wasn’t the case but I’m just gonna throw in a reminder here that Biden voted against Thomas’s nomination, since people often claim or imply that he was a huge Thomas cheerleader.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Fellow Democrat speaks out against her:

https://www.politico.com/states/flo...ampaign-1385039

quote:

As the head of Florida’s emergency management department, he was already in charge of pandemic response and had to contend with someone in his office possibly leaking to a purveyor of what he called coronavirus “disinformation.” The person receiving the leaks was Rebekah Jones, a fired health department worker who earned national media attention for unsubstantiated allegations that Florida was manipulating Covid-19 death data.
So Moskowitz, a Democratic former state lawmaker appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, said in an interview that he made the decision in July to reach out to Jones and befriend her, starting a 10-month long rapport that, he said, kept him and his office out of her crosshairs.

Moskowitz characterized his effort as a deliberate effort to keep Jones at bay even though the messages, which POLITICO obtained, have a friendly demeanor and dialogue that belie any attempt at deception.

“With a platform of 400,000 Twitter followers, her reputation for bullying people on social media and her running a disinformation campaign that the national media echoed, she was more dangerous as an enemy than a friend,” Moskowitz said. “Everything she did was disinformation.”

Politifact says she lied about a leaked document proving that she demonstrated DeSantis was fixing the research.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/nov/01/rebekah-jones/rebekah-jones-misrepresents-findings-state-investi/

quote:

Jones shared a photo of the report the Commission on Human Relations released about Jones’ whistleblower complaint. The version of the report in the photo included multiple discrepancies from the official version released by the commission.

Jones’ version claims the commission found she had "demonstrated" a violation of Florida’s Whistleblower Act.

The word "demonstrated" does not appear in the official version of the report. It states Jones disclosed a violation of the state law that qualified her for whistleblower

Although that Politifact article is uh, weirdly semantic. And I can see Florida democrats going turncoat against anybody speaking out against the ol’ meatball because, y’know, he’s a freak that persecutes people.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Isn't it absolutely undeniably a crime under the Watergate laws? Not accepting the gifts, but the complete failure to report them?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

That trip Scalia died on was one of his many, many junkets, in fact. A history of Scalia's bullshit corruption all expenses paid travels.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

If a justice gets thrown in jail (this won't happen sadly) can they still hear cases?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't it absolutely undeniably a crime under the Watergate laws? Not accepting the gifts, but the complete failure to report them?

It's deniably a crime, because they're going to deny it.

Ither posted:

If a justice gets thrown in jail (this won't happen sadly) can they still hear cases?

They can do whatever they want until they get impeached and removed.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ither posted:

Probably their own.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I know you didn’t specifically say this wasn’t the case but I’m just gonna throw in a reminder here that Biden voted against Thomas’s nomination, since people often claim or imply that he was a huge Thomas cheerleader.

Biden also, as chair of the senate judiciary committee, refused to allow Thomas' other victims to testify as Hill did.

He felt bad enough about it that he apologized for his actions, and for allowing the mistreatment of Hill during the Thomas hearings, during the 2020 campaign.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 6, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I'm sure he felt really bad about it, coincidental timing tho :thunk:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
keeping in mind that npr killed a documentary on the koch brothers because they threatened to stop funding npr.
"citizen koch" was later released independently

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

keeping in mind that npr killed a documentary on the koch brothers because they threatened to stop funding npr.
"citizen koch" was later released independently

NPR is bad sure, but this is so clearly an Elon pissing his pants moment.

For example, Voice of America doesn't have that label, and uh....

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Randalor posted:

Why should anyone expect SCOTUS to clean it's own house.

Impeachment exists for just such a scenario, but the Democrats won't even have the juice to launch a proper investigation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
VoA makes sense as being labeled as state media. NPR does not. Like a lot of other recent actions, this reads as Musk exploiting the platform to favor right-wing narratives.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I'm sure he felt really bad about it, coincidental timing tho :thunk:

My point was that Biden hosed up as judiciary committee chair in spite of ultimately voting against confirmation.

Of course it was insincere, or he would've said something before his post-MeToo presidential run rather than waiting for almost three decades to pretend to be contrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Kalli posted:

NPR is bad sure, but this is so clearly an Elon pissing his pants moment.

For example, Voice of America doesn't have that label, and uh....
no disagree. just pointing out that the koch brother funds npr more than the us government and, in fact, has changed or killed stories based on that fact.
but yeah elon, state media *wank*