Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Quackles posted:

Hey, this is cool.

If you have 10+ individual Extraction Tickets, you can spend them 10 at a time now.

I did this on the Heathcliff banner and got his 3*, and Tingtang Hong Lu, and Telepole for Faust. Hooray for luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Worked out how to beat the frog fast.

Just focus down one of his eyeballs. Destorying one perma-staggers that eye and stops him from using any of his really dangerous attacks - you can basically just damage-auto to victory from there and completely ignore anything he can possibly throw at you. Beat him in an easy 9, could probably get to a 6 with the right team (ie R Heath).

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 6, 2023

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Threw all my stuff at the banner and made out pretty good with not just Liu Hong Lu but his Tingtang version too, plus Liu Meursault, W-Corp Faust, Seven Section Yi Sing, Wishing Cairn and Lantern. And I got Seven Section Outis by tapping the selected EGO shards boxes I had saved up.

And my Guaranteed 3* ticket was W-Corp Quixote and I really, really want to see an identity where she doesn't end up horribly depressed and disillusioned, it makes me really sad. Perhaps her Zwei version with Sinclair.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Got the frog down to 8 turns. Basically only attacked one of its eyes the entire fight and completely gave up on clashing and was able to manage it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kromer doesn't have her passive.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, I made it all the way to My Form Empties-with casualties, unfortunately, but that's a decent enough stopping point. I was just trying it out, after all. I'll start over from the beginning, with a proper team after I apply some extra EGO Threadspins and make more synergized sub-teams.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Junpei posted:

Alright, I made it all the way to My Form Empties-with casualties, unfortunately, but that's a decent enough stopping point. I was just trying it out, after all. I'll start over from the beginning, with a proper team after I apply some extra EGO Threadspins and make more synergized sub-teams.

This is probably the best way given how the mode gives level boost tickets which can help make specofic units inmediately viable.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

First clear of Railway. Could definitely improve in parts, but I'll wait for people to come up with strats first before I take another shot at it. I bet there's some way to cheese the gently caress out of the statue with the karma mechanic...

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Not really cheese per se, but each stack of karma also applies a damage up debuff, so the fight kinda gives you a choice between 'hey, do you want to try and burst them down, or just hit the Instant Death Number?

there's also some wink wink nudge nudge implied officially sanctioned cheese you can do with leaving one or more of your sinners saddled with karma, then offloading it to the statue after the ads are dead i think.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Meeko posted:

Not really cheese per se, but each stack of karma also applies a damage up debuff, so the fight kinda gives you a choice between 'hey, do you want to try and burst them down, or just hit the Instant Death Number?

there's also some wink wink nudge nudge implied officially sanctioned cheese you can do with leaving one or more of your sinners saddled with karma, then offloading it to the statue after the ads are dead i think.

I was more thinking building up a total of 108+ stacks then passing them all to the statue to instagib it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used the apology 1300 to pull on standard because I'm a psycho and I got Faust's telepole. Haven't had a chance to really look into it, is there a consensus if it's better than fluid sac or contextual on the fight

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also what identities would you say are the most useful? Gonna try it but I lacl several 000 and wanted to know who to invest in from the 00 or base I have.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also what identities would you say are the most useful? Gonna try it but I lacl several 000 and wanted to know who to invest in from the 00 or base I have.
W Don, G Gregor, 7 Outis and N Faust are the workhorses of my lineup so far. R Heathcliff is also really really good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I think it's kind of wack how it cost 25 modules to cash out on the line regardless of how far you got. Seems like something that should cost more the farther out you get. Going to be painful for newer players especially.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'm back from running 3-22 with my new and improved team to try and unlock the level 30 thread luxcavation skips

>Seven Outis whoops rear end. In game where winning clashes is one of the most important thing you can do in a fight especially against nastier attacks, she is almost entirely purpose built for this, and hits like a truck to boot. I took her, Grippy Faust, Blade Lineage Sinclair and N-Corp Heathcliff and Rodion into all the toughest fights in that dungeon and crushed out, even that really hard optional fight in Scarcity, so I'm confident in using that as my A-Team in the Railway.

>Liu Hong Lu is also pretty good, his conditions for getting his bonuses are easy to maintain as long as he is not eating poo poo on clashes, and his skills are good at winning clashes. With Liu Gregor and Meursault I found it very easy to stack up tons on burn in tougher bosses, the only thing I'm not 100% on is who the other two members of your team would be.

>And the Thread Luxcavation skip is still locked for me after clearing 3-22 again so I'm assuming it's bugged and will wait for Apology Sanity.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TheNabster posted:

>Liu Hong Lu is also pretty good, his conditions for getting his bonuses are easy to maintain as long as he is not eating poo poo on clashes, and his skills are good at winning clashes. With Liu Gregor and Meursault I found it very easy to stack up tons on burn in tougher bosses, the only thing I'm not 100% on is who the other two members of your team would be.

At the very least you'd want Ishmael for Ardor Blossom Star, who inflicts burn to burned targets with the passive. All the Fourth Match Flames also have burn related passives.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GilliamYaeger posted:

W Don, G Gregor, 7 Outis and N Faust are the workhorses of my lineup so far. R Heathcliff is also really really good.

Yeah, big issue is I just happen to be missing W Don, R Heathcliff, 7 Outis and Blade Sinclair who going by the clears are big guns.

I guess the logical thing is just to try and clear it for the tickets in hopes of either getting more stuff or getting more shards for pity and then think about the strat.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I think it's kind of wack how it cost 25 modules to cash out on the line regardless of how far you got. Seems like something that should cost more the farther out you get. Going to be painful for newer players especially.

It's a one-time cost for the whole event, so it doesn't matter when you pay the 25 modules, since it'll allow you to get everything regardless.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

LostRook posted:

Tour bot's gimmick makes the fight much quicker. Use an ego against his crane attack and you'll dodge it exposing his heart. Destroy the heart to stagger tour bot.

I wasn't aware that it was possible to beat that attack. I'll have to redo the fight to try for myself.

In general, I'm not entirely clear on the mechanics behind counters and multi-target attacks. Does the counter actually reduce damage from the attack that provokes it? If an enemy targets multiple units with an attack, is there any way to stop it?

Also, all of my identities are level 25-26. If I focus on taking the ones I'm using in the Railway to 30, will it make much of a difference?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Telepole dog gave me... Problems. Decided to push ahead instead of redo the fight (prior to then I was kicking quite a fair amount of arse) to see what was up.

By the time I hit the trio of NT guys, I went "well, hm. These enemies are just increasingly thick walls of meat and I am a Netzach main, not a Yesod player." Decided to stop giving a poo poo about turn count.

Rest of the railway was easy from that point forward.

Tingtang man put in work. if you want the specific breakdown...

You can see the exact moment I said "gently caress it." and stopped trying to rush.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, game keeps answering my prayers and just gave me 7 Outis after the mirror dungeon lunacy. Which is cool since she seems to fit both her own Ebony Stem and Legedermain besides being a clash machine. I guess she's worth the uptie?

Now I'd have to see which identity to bring for the rest of my sinners without an outstanding one. Yi Sang has his Blade Lineage which got buffed, Heathcliff could go N Corp for the support skill at the very least, but Don, Sinclair and Ryoshu are kinda stuck with Btheir base and 00 identities which don't seem outstanding?

Also man, the buff to heads on high sanity is noticeable, no longer is the 3 tail Gripping expected instead of bad luck.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Solitair posted:

I wasn't aware that it was possible to beat that attack. I'll have to redo the fight to try for myself.

In general, I'm not entirely clear on the mechanics behind counters and multi-target attacks. Does the counter actually reduce damage from the attack that provokes it? If an enemy targets multiple units with an attack, is there any way to stop it?

Also, all of my identities are level 25-26. If I focus on taking the ones I'm using in the Railway to 30, will it make much of a difference?

It will absolutely make a difference basically every enemy in there is chapter 3 final boss or higher in terms of attack/defence level. At least all the abnormality fights are.

As far as aoe attacks, the only way I've routinely clashed with them and have it actually stop them is to find who the "main target" is. The person with the solid line from the aoe skill can clash and break it but nobodey else seems to be able to do so.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah, I'm finding that Telephone Dog is my brick wall too, making me realize that I really must just not know his fight/how to minmax in general. Feel like I need a crash course on damage maximizing again, since I'm still taking 10 turns to beat some of the early fights that should be chumpable in less.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jossar posted:

Yeah, I'm finding that Telephone Dog is my brick wall too, making me realize that I really must just not know his fight/how to minmax in general. Feel like I need a crash course on damage maximizing again, since I'm still taking 10 turns to beat some of the early fights that should be chumpable in less.

Dog is straight up focus down telepole or lose in the refraction imo. Unless you're really high damage to body the body. The buffs it generates from lightning are too strong if allowed to get up to 5, let alone 10.

My winning strategy was placing my highest damage or multi-hitting ability into the Telepole and clashing with the most threatening other attacks. Prioritising the howls if I could but otherwise just weathering the storm until the telepole broke.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Does anyone know WTF is going on with the crane robot? Is it clashable or is it not clashable? The text says it's not, gameplay says it is?

GilliamYaeger posted:

N Meursault's super good. I had some trouble with R Heathcliff because once he loses his ammo he's dead weight.

Focusing Telepole is your best bet here I think. I also think the whole thing is really more difficult than it needs to be because you're absolutely hosed if you go in without knowing what they resist, and the game enforces that you don't know what they resist! And I say resist instead of saying what they're weak against because Bodysack was hitting for like 10 damage against either the robot or Telepole, I can't remember which, and that was more damage than my gacha egos were doing because getting them uptied costs a whole lot of thread.

I see what they're going for with Lobcorp style trial-and-error learning about the monsters as you fight them-but that works really differently in a management sim and a RPG. And it's just really really frustrating.

Anyway, hit my own brick wall with Everything There because I accidentally brought damage types it resisted while trying to bring my strongest units.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If you give up or everyone dies you get to keep all your units and try again (unless you abandon the run entirely).

Attacks that are "unclashable" actually just mean they cannot be redirected. If the target fights back it still works like a clash. This is the secret to making crane robot super quick because if you win the clash with that attack it exposes a 200 hp heart that if you can kill will just straight up stagger the robot and chunk its hp.

Abnormality resistances are extra hosed because they work collectively. Take toad. It resists everything but pierce, but also resists a bunch of sin types. If you, say, attack with a blunt attack of a sin type it resists, both resistances are applied. So to do good damage to refraction abnormalities needs the right physical damage type coupled with the right Sin Element.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 6, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

t3isukone posted:

Does anyone know WTF is going on with the crane robot? Is it clashable or is it not clashable? The text says it's not, gameplay says it is?
The second one is clashable and forces a stun.

quote:

N Meursault's super good. I had some trouble with R Heathcliff because once he loses his ammo he's dead weight.
He can still run interference and win clashes - and against enemies like the Watchdog that's invaluable. It does suck that he basically stops dealing damage about five-six turns in though.

quote:

Focusing Telepole is your best bet here I think. I also think the whole thing is really more difficult than it needs to be because you're absolutely hosed if you go in without knowing what they resist, and the game enforces that you don't know what they resist! And I say resist instead of saying what they're weak against because Bodysack was hitting for like 10 damage against either the robot or Telepole, I can't remember which, and that was more damage than my gacha egos were doing because getting them uptied costs a whole lot of thread.

I see what they're going for with Lobcorp style trial-and-error learning about the monsters as you fight them-but that works really differently in a management sim and a RPG. And it's just really really frustrating.

Anyway, hit my own brick wall with Everything There because I accidentally brought damage types it resisted while trying to bring my strongest units.
Yeah, I kinda feel like resistance and weaknesses are maybe both too strong.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
Pretty sure there are two crane attacks, one clashable and one not.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Tried doggo again, and actually the secret to beating him didn't seem to be the Telepole. Focusing entirely on the head with the exception of winning clashes against the really nasty stuff got me a 7 turn clear, would've even been 6 if RNG hadn't screwed me over.

Then again, I had R-Corp Heathcliff for big damage numbers, so maybe if you don't have him, you have to focus the pole instead or else you die.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

fabiopenz posted:

Pretty sure there are two crane attacks, one clashable and one not.

This also makes sense, I specifically remember trying to clash with the first crane attack and losing the clash though. Rather than it being one-sided both ways, the victim of the "unclashable" attack got to make an attempt to stop it with the coin flip clash. Which is why later I used an EGO and won.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Solitair posted:

A counter does not reduce damage from an incoming attack. It just guarantees a counterattack afterwards (unless you get staggered).

For multi-target attacks, one slot will be the 'primary target' (shown as a solid line in the preview) and the other hits will be 'secondary targets' (shown as dashed lines). You can only clash the attack aimed at the primary target, but if you do beat that clash, the rest of the attack will be canceled.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Did Mind Whip get a nerf at some point where it is no longer able to hit enemies with it's random attack early in the fight? I vaguely remember something about that and haven't been able to get it to work for turn lowering attempts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

LostRook posted:

Did Mind Whip get a nerf at some point where it is no longer able to hit enemies with it's random attack early in the fight? I vaguely remember something about that and haven't been able to get it to work for turn lowering attempts.

Depending on the random targeting I would say that against single enemy fights she'll more likely hit an ally anyway?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I've been trying against the N Corp fight and she just isn't willing to whip an enemy in the first wave which has 4 enemies..

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Quit out at wave 8 and started again, this time bringing in W Don and Shi Ishmael; the first drop of Thread in the Railway helped me get W Don up to speed, and I burned some shards for Shi Ishmael. It's going way better this time. It turns out that a character based on bonuses when they're below 50% health is really good when she's always below 50% health! (And the first fight has plenty of Pierce attacks to get her there.) In particular, the fact her second skill gets the coins before clashing rather than after (like Kurokumo Hong Lu does) means that it's about as good at clashing as you can get without Charge or an EGO, and unlike most characters with one really busted skill the rest of hers are still very good. The lack of good Gloom outside of W Don to fuel Snagharpoon does sting, but at least I have plenty of Wrath and Lust in case she really needs to bust out Roseate Desire.

The secret to the dog is mostly Gregor's Legerdemain and good luck, because it's all one-coin attacks. Legerdemain wins one clash and then wins two more if you get the Paralysis on heads. Unfortunately, other sources of good same-turn Paralysis is still pretty thin on the ground. Break the body once, big damage turn, tread water until you can stagger the head and finish the job.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Just want to check if I'm not committing some kind of math-fallacy/error/whatever but:

Would it be "correct" if you're looking to minimize odds of duplicate pulls to wait until the last banners of the season land before pulling? Right now I have all but one two-O and a few three-Os left so it feels like the odds are I will get duplicates. But if I have a large stash of resources and pull right at the end, at least for a good number of hits the odds will be stacked towards new hits, right?

Obviously this has the opportunity cost of passing on the x10 bonus when new banners release but idk if that tips it or not.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KazigluBey posted:

Just want to check if I'm not committing some kind of math-fallacy/error/whatever but:

Would it be "correct" if you're looking to minimize odds of duplicate pulls to wait until the last banners of the season land before pulling? Right now I have all but one two-O and a few three-Os left so it feels like the odds are I will get duplicates. But if I have a large stash of resources and pull right at the end, at least for a good number of hits the odds will be stacked towards new hits, right?

Obviously this has the opportunity cost of passing on the x10 bonus when new banners release but idk if that tips it or not.
That's the obvious strategy, yes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, my "not care about turns" clear is getting stuck at the dog. Because N Faust got hit hard on previous sections and now I have less Blunt/Slash resistant dudes for it, meaning I can't focus on the telepole (which is bad since I'm forced to clash)

Man I really hate not getting the good Don/Heathcliff identities, will probably end up prioritizing them over EGOs.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Depending on how many new EGOs/identities we get before the end of the season and how hard you grind, you might end up with enough nominable boxes saved to start pulling on the second-to-last banner instead of last, maybe, and just shard the contents of the last banner. But that gets more mathy than the "wait until the last minute" strategy.

I'm still missing six 000s and 5 EGOs. :x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My cursed account has every single ego but almost no 3* identities; almost all the ones I've had I had to get with the pity shards. Some real suffering from success poo poo, I know, but my DQ was on her base identity up until I bought her W corp id with shards yesterday.