Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

You'd think that they'd be putting a lot of cool basics back up, now that you can set favourite basics.

It's also mega annoying that there's no way to preview what they look like on the battlefield, since that's a drastically different layout than in-hand. Just have to google for screenshots. Like those Avon full-art lands have the stupid black bar on the bottom that they could have cropped out:

It's almost like they don't want any land to be perfect, lol

edit: somehow the old-school border lands are the least hosed up looking on the battlefield, to me:

and another thing... Arena DOES NOT LET YOU SEARCH BY ARTIST, what the gently caress, like they just put out a survey that asks me how much I love to play MTG for the artwork, then they don't put in a tool to let deckbuilders find the artists they want. Shameful. I did remember I had Bob Ross lands, which they also inexplicably made like a 2-week freebee and never brought back

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have 20,000 gems and I would spend a lot of them on the Rebecca Guay full-art basics that were available in the store for like one week.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why are there censor bars in that image

Chamale posted:

I have 20,000 gems and I would spend a lot of them on the Rebecca Guay full-art basics that were available in the store for like one week.

i don't remember how I got these but since they're my favorite basic art and I have thought about getting official prints of them, I'm glad I have em lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was looking up her cards, super gorgeous, and saw this article in the process:

https://magicuntapped.com/index.php...and-forgiveness

Neat bit of art direction history. I am curious if they'll make a Magic 30 reference in the next Unset, or maybe a Secret Lair Alert card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That is a super unfortunate domain name.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

That is a super unfortunate domain name.

Lmao my God it took me a minute and then I spit coffee all over my dashboard

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why are there censor bars in that image

It's a common reddit arena post joke, 'protecting the avatars' identities'. Not the greatest joke but it's generally worth a chuckle, IMO.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the most annoying thing about wanting specific basic lands is that you can craft alt arts for any other card at any time by going to the variant preference picker thing, but basic lands you can only craft the crappy borderless ones (parallax or whatever you call them) of the current set. i dont have to wait for the unfinity shattered sanctum art to come back around in the store if i want it right now but heaven forbid i want eg the NEO forest done by Ezoi

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm def glad i got the kamigawa basics and and the dominaria united basics,because both of those were really good

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Thankfully I was blessed enough to be Good At Limited and have a nigh-infinite amount of gems, so I was able to get the Nyx Constellations basics and the Pixel snow basics when they were available, and now I never need to buy another basic again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had to mull to 5, what do you put back

i kept the creatures and lands. of course it didn't matter since i immediately got crucified by RB Perfect Vampires that cast call the bloodline on 1 while i drew lands lol

3rd loss to a Docent of Perfection / Wizards / Mill / Burn lol, 3-3 [24-20 54.55%]

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 6, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I would toss Mantle and Plains probably. Depends on whether you had an aggressive or defensive deck I would say.

Had a lot of fun trying poo poo in SoI, very variable winrate but I got served Doggos.txt today and it was the easiest 7-0 I can remember.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

quite stretched out posted:

the most annoying thing about wanting specific basic lands is that you can craft alt arts for any other card at any time by going to the variant preference picker thing, but basic lands you can only craft the crappy borderless ones (parallax or whatever you call them) of the current set. i dont have to wait for the unfinity shattered sanctum art to come back around in the store if i want it right now but heaven forbid i want eg the NEO forest done by Ezoi

Yep. You gotta spend gems on a pair of the good ones and lock in and only use them.

That's why I'm super happy I joined the first Arena Open to get my Godzilla lands, they're so great (except the Forest, which I use the full-art Kamigawa drawing one).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How often do old border lands show up for sale?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

all.i want is the Lawrence Schnelli Saga Duress, and it isn't even for sale at any price

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That’s a card with wildly varying quality of art.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I have the japanese strixhaven duress and i like it personally.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rinkles posted:

How often do old border lands show up for sale?

They were sold as bundles a while back (at least a year, probably more), and have not been in the store since.

I’m happy about my White Cliffs of Dover islands and Black Forest forests. Though the Venice islands are cool too

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I always say I'm going to use more of all these lands, but I just put the bob ross ones in every deck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They are gonna fuckin get me with that Art Nouveau Ravnica art, I am going to both spend gems on cosmetics + play more jank in explorer lol

Of course I guess the goal is to spike them in draft

Edit: not sure bout pogchamp niv-mizzet though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like when a Secret Lair came with Arena sleeves to match but seems like they haven't done that in a while.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Shrecknet posted:

all.i want is the Lawrence Schnelli Saga Duress, and it isn't even for sale at any price

It was in some event but I don't remember when or what it was. I just wish it was in the old frame.

Continuing the cards that CharlieFoxtrot just posted there are some new legends coming to arena. Most of them will probably only see play in historic brawl, but Anafenza, Aurelia the Warleader, and Skithiryx all some standard play but that was years ago. Anafenza sees scattered play in pioneer in devotion decks, and has seen play in modern combo decks abusing her ability, but arena doesnt have walking ballista or any good persist creatures so she probably wont see much if any historic/explorer play.

Ragavan is the exception, the monkey is that good. And if it is going to be historic legal it will warp the format.

Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

Horobi, Death's Wail
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
Zada, Hedron Grinder

Yedora, Grave Gardener

Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle
Atraxa, Praetors' Voice
Aurelia, the Warleader
Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer
Ezuri, Claw of Progress
Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty
Juri, Master of the Revue
Lathiel, the Bounteous Dawn
Reyav, Master Smith
Taigam, Ojutai Master

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1f53452e6010493f9f01aade4075902e

This one got a bit dicey. I spent most of P1 trying to force RB madness but it didn't look like it was happening so I pivoted to white. Getting Thalia's Lancers into Sorin seemed like it was the right call lol (though I completely punted a pick when I saw selfless spirit as a rare and immediately snapped it up before my brain caught up and I saw the Bound in Moonsilver vanishing into the ether :negative:)

Now I'm kinda stuck though? The 18 are the things I think I will run, but I need to make playables.

Do I go for BW with the minor R splash? Do I try to make the steal and sac with WRb work lol? My fixing is not particularly great in any case

Edit: oh right sometimes the "steal and steal" works too. Also Sin Prodder seems like a good punisher card?

My current deck is the image +2 Traitorous Bloods, +2 Shieldmates, and Hauberk, lands are 9W/6R/3B (including the BW dual). The Bishop does ease the pain of playing the mid-rate dorks when they arrive with clues

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 6, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Found a lost souja in the wild o7

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

if you're playing both Traitorous Blood, I would consider bringing in Reaper as well for the sac. I might have gone for pure BW or only splashing Burn from Within - putting in the Cathar, Shieldmates, 2xDragoon and whatever for the last spot - maybe a Resolve for some draw. Dragoons aren't exactly ideal with no discard synergies but they can still get evasion in a pinch and save the messy manabase.

E: Just saw you have 0 Purges so I guess maybe getting delirium for Reaper isn't that likely with no land sac, unless you add in discard effects as well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Drafting Forgotten Realms for the second time – managed to pull together what I think is a pretty wicked RB deck. Pack three was relentless goodies.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/dc02ad75899042be8b29434029f2a9e2/1

2-0 so far, but curious if I'm sideboarding anything I should include. Didn't draft too much removal, but banking on having enough threats to make up for that. Price of Loyalty in particular just seems like ridiculous value in a format where things standstill so frequently... worth running 3 vs just 2 of them?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Drafting Forgotten Realms for the second time – managed to pull together what I think is a pretty wicked RB deck. Pack three was relentless goodies.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/dc02ad75899042be8b29434029f2a9e2/1

2-0 so far, but curious if I'm sideboarding anything I should include. Didn't draft too much removal, but banking on having enough threats to make up for that. Price of Loyalty in particular just seems like ridiculous value in a format where things standstill so frequently... worth running 3 vs just 2 of them?

3 Windfalls seems like a lot (it always sucks to draw a rummage effect when you're empty handed, and take a turn off casting anything), and you've left a good on colour rare 2 drop in your board for some reason?

I'd've said without a more sac outlets that more than one Act of Treason effect is probably excessive; most standstills aren't broken enough by just taking their best creature and swinging it into them; mostly they just chump it and get it back and you still have a standstill. If you can combo it with Village Rites or Ghoul reliably it's great though.

Eyes of the Beholder is expensive removal but it is removal and you probably shouldn't be leaving it in your board.

I'm probably doing -2 Windfall, -1 Price, +Hoarding Ogre, +Wight, +Eyes.

But it's been a very long while since I've drafted this set.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah it triggers my FOMO a bit, because I dont have any cool basics; they did those foil Theros Constellation lands like once and then never again.

Wait hold on this is important, they put the theros lands card styles on sale at some point? Not just the basic versions I mean?

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I’ve seen them once, the star field ones

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm probably doing -2 Windfall, -1 Price, +Hoarding Ogre, +Wight, +Eyes.

Thanks! The extra windfalls came from noticing most games seemed to go fairly long, and dropping the Wight was cause he doesn't do anythng with treasures as the rest of the deck does.

Venting post, but just played someone running a die deck who managed to hit 20 three times in a row. Granted, they had Barbarian Class so it was three twenties in six rolls, but still. For fucks sake.

Next game, first roll, opponent rolls a 20. Is this Arena telling me to take a night off. And again on the second roll of the game they've made three turns later.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 7, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They are gonna fuckin get me with that Art Nouveau Ravnica art, I am going to both spend gems on cosmetics + play more jank in explorer lol

Of course I guess the goal is to spike them in draft

Is that Aurelia coming to Arena though? I wish they'd do on of those "Historic Anthology" but for a pile of absent commanders instead.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Wait hold on this is important, they put the theros lands card styles on sale at some point? Not just the basic versions I mean?

There was at least one time when you could purchase constellation paralax versions of those, I don't know if by "on sale" you mean "at a discount".

I'm talking about this:

Very helpfully, WotC tells you to go to the in-game store to get it, where you can't get it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 7, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Is that Aurelia coming to Arena though? I wish they'd do on of those "Historic Anthology" but for a pile of absent commanders instead.

Those are from the extra sheet for limited for MOM so yes, the same way the Brother's war extra artifacts and mystical archives cards came to arena.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did DnD draft and I made a lot of weird choices and pivots and now I'm stuck with a 3 colour deck and I struggle with these, not that I'm great with duo/mono either. My first pack pick was Adult Gold Dragon, so I thought I'd try RW and dungeons and weapons or something. Then second pack I got Lolth, Spider Queen and she seemed potentially very threatening so I went with her, and I needed removal anyway so started trying to snag black but it was not open so I wasn't getting anything great. Red was also pretty picked over and sparse. Green I think was totally open so I should've pivoted to that, but never did, but still ended up with 7 greens, some of them seem good.

I'm thinking of maybe getting the other Dwarfhold Champion in there and swapping out Grim Wanderer or Valor Singer. There's probably also a route with green instead of red, but I am reluctant to ditch dragon and magic missile/fireball. Fireball seems expensive but a good nuke and I feel like I need the removal over the green creatures. I also have jack poo poo for draw and Deadly Dispute seems like a trap with what I have.

Is this manabase okay? The white cards all only have 1 pip max but not getting that 1 could mean a lot of dead hands, but I do have a few treasure sources.

Also annoyed I have that Swarming Goblins, I was reading it and trying to see if I missed something or if it was risking a 5 mana 1/1 goblin a lot of the time, and the timer snuck on me and I hadn't made a better pick yet

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

I did DnD draft and I made a lot of weird choices and pivots and now I'm stuck with a 3 colour deck and I struggle with these, not that I'm great with duo/mono either. My first pack pick was Adult Gold Dragon, so I thought I'd try RW and dungeons and weapons or something. Then second pack I got Lolth, Spider Queen and she seemed potentially very threatening so I went with her, and I needed removal anyway so started trying to snag black but it was not open so I wasn't getting anything great. Red was also pretty picked over and sparse. Green I think was totally open so I should've pivoted to that, but never did, but still ended up with 7 greens, some of them seem good.

I'm thinking of maybe getting the other Dwarfhold Champion in there and swapping out Grim Wanderer or Valor Singer. There's probably also a route with green instead of red, but I am reluctant to ditch dragon and magic missile/fireball. Fireball seems expensive but a good nuke and I feel like I need the removal over the green creatures. I also have jack poo poo for draw and Deadly Dispute seems like a trap with what I have.

Is this manabase okay? The white cards all only have 1 pip max but not getting that 1 could mean a lot of dead hands, but I do have a few treasure sources.

Also annoyed I have that Swarming Goblins, I was reading it and trying to see if I missed something or if it was risking a 5 mana 1/1 goblin a lot of the time, and the timer snuck on me and I hadn't made a better pick yet

Sepulcher Ghoul, Swarming Goblins, and Deadly Dispute are better than about 70% of the cards in your deck. Maybe 80%?

Swarming Goblins is a 4/3 and brings some number of friends with it, not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that you're paying 5 mana for a 1/1.

Sepulcher Ghoul and Deadly Dispute play well with all the goblin pals, and all these Shambling Ghasts.

Most of these white cards stink - basically everything but Dragon, Dungeoneer, Cleric and maybe Gargoyle (but not in this deck that can't reliably finish a dungeon) - but you don't have enough cards in any other combination of colours to make a functioning deck.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Getting Thalia's Lancers into Sorin seemed like it was the right call lol (though I completely punted a pick when I saw selfless spirit as a rare and immediately snapped it up before my brain caught up and I saw the Bound in Moonsilver vanishing into the ether :negative:)

Selfless spirit is literally the best rare in the best color, it's almost 5% better than moonsilver.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Algid posted:

Selfless spirit is literally the best rare in the best color, it's almost 5% better than moonsilver.

lol yeah i noticed that after looking at the charts for this most recent draft. That went 3-3, I cast Sorin once, it killed a 2/3 then immediately died to Collective Defiance lol

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2661710d9ec94508870712ba180bfdb2

Got tempted again by the Traitorous Bloods lol, especially since I got more sac outlets. I hoovered up white again but not really another color that looked like a solid pairing... Should I even play the Wretched Gryff? Stormchaser Spirit has better WR and is cheaper, draw a card is probably warping my evaluation... Maybe I just play another white card and cut the splash just down to Queller lol? I also keep wanting to play censer but it has bad WR too. My gameplan looks to be going wide and then using spells to collapse the enemy board. Maybe i just play a third strength of arms, maximum potential for Lone Rider to flip, 16 creatures still seems good

Edit: game 1 loss to the Olivia Voldaren / Nahiri / Bloodhall Priest deck, hmm

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 7, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

you have so many humans, why not run the censer. you gotta stop psyching yourself out on data. the censer is good!

win rates are a decent way to get a rough evaluation of card, but its very easy to go "ah this card has a .5% higher wr...." and drop a card that synergizes with the actual cards you're playing much better. at some point you need to actually evaluate cards based on the deck that you're building, not their raw WR from every single deck people have put them in

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Sepulcher Ghoul, Swarming Goblins, and Deadly Dispute are better than about 70% of the cards in your deck. Maybe 80%?

Swarming Goblins is a 4/3 and brings some number of friends with it, not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that you're paying 5 mana for a 1/1.

Sepulcher Ghoul and Deadly Dispute play well with all the goblin pals, and all these Shambling Ghasts.

Most of these white cards stink - basically everything but Dragon, Dungeoneer, Cleric and maybe Gargoyle (but not in this deck that can't reliably finish a dungeon) - but you don't have enough cards in any other combination of colours to make a functioning deck.

Lmao I missed that it was a creature even after I cut it from my deck and ragged on it, I kept rereading the roll table as if it were a sorcery or instant stuck on 5 mana to gamble on weak summon and never got to the 4/3. Reading the whole card explains the card.

I wasn't sure how much dungeon synergy cuts it or if those torches would get me there or not.

Anyway, thank you, I haven't given myself this sloppy a mess of cards in a long time, knew I had to have made some even worse choices on top of that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Another game where my opponent rolled dice twice and got 20's both times. Insult to injury, my hail mary at the end was met with a 1 that resulted in me discarding my hand. I probably still lose this game, but bad feels.

:tinfoil:

https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/20230407/a7e94114a2454e7ea58aed427b02645b/0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn’t notice Alchemy ONE drafts were already gone. Apparently they were available for just over a week. Why would they make the window so short?