Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Shrimp chat:

One of the reasons I recommend Amano shrimp is that they won't breed in a freshwater tank. They can make eggs but they don't hatch. This means you never have to think about murdering your pets because you have too many of them as someone joked about above. They're also big enough to be able to see more readily so you're less likely to accidentally kill one with a gravel-vac. I find them more visually interesting than cherry shrimp also but that's subjective.

For me a big part of the attraction of keeping aquariums is propagating the animals and plants in them. So I do make jokes about having the world's smallest shrimp fry up, but in reality I'm listing them on craigslist, trying to sell to local shops, and even if I do nothing the population will stabilize at the carrying capacity of the tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I've had Shubunkins hide for weeks after a heron visit. I bet you have more fish left than you think. I did get knocked down to one big one last spring but it was a gravid(?) female so now I've got her and like 15 babies swimming around. Gotta get my motion activated sprinkler set up again now that things are getting active...

I got one coming in the mail, panic ordered it like 10 min after i chased the heron away. Do you find it triggers reliably for larger predators like raccoons and heron, but perhaps allows robins and things to have their baths in peace?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I got one coming in the mail, panic ordered it like 10 min after i chased the heron away. Do you find it triggers reliably for larger predators like raccoons and heron, but perhaps allows robins and things to have their baths in peace?

https://aquaristsacrosscanada.com/ These guys have an awesome store over by the army reserve on Bay, in the little strip mall with the Wendy's. I would recommend checking them out for any future fish you want to pick up. Or just to see a lot of cool fish tanks.

You might be in need of some netting

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I don't even know what to say to this unless it's an early April fool's joke. Putting your name down should put you on a do-not-sell list

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Brought to you by the gently caress The Reef corp and Crown of Stars Inc?

WTF.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So I got a 10 gallon that I can't fill while waiting for the stand. I'm curious though what do you actually put in the 3-5 gallon tanks that are on sale everywhere?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

B33rChiller posted:

https://aquaristsacrosscanada.com/ These guys have an awesome store over by the army reserve on Bay, in the little strip mall with the Wendy's. I would recommend checking them out for any future fish you want to pick up. Or just to see a lot of cool fish tanks.

I always found that store really dingy and depressing lol. Every time I've been, a fish has jumped out of a tank to die on the floor. Every part of it feels like the back utility area of some aquarium where I'm not supposed to be.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

So I got a 10 gallon that I can't fill while waiting for the stand. I'm curious though what do you actually put in the 3-5 gallon tanks that are on sale everywhere?

According to advertising, every loving fish in the world.

In reality, a planted shrimp tank is doable but prone to crashing. Triops maybe?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Baronjutter posted:

It triggers pretty easily but i think you can turn down the sensitivity on mine. It was also a panic order for me and I maybe didn't spend that much time thinking about the nice visitors to the pond before setting it up.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Stoca Zola posted:

You must have had a mate for your shubunkin too because goldfish fertilize their eggs externally. One year after a heron attack my mum decided to drain and clean her seemingly empty pond before starting over, this wasn't anything she was in a rush about so days or maybe weeks later she found three or four fish that had been hiding in the muck at the bottom of the pond in one inch of filthy water. If they can bury themselves for safety they will.

I've seen geese in my neighbours front yard down the street and I'm really hoping they don't find my pond, I'm pretty sure geese don't eat fish but I don't want to have to deal with the mess they're capable of generating.

I probably should have known that about the external fertilization, hah. Maybe he got a load off shortly before getting eaten or maybe the fry had been kicking around longer than I realized. I did think they were mosquito larvae for a while there...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I always found that store really dingy and depressing lol. Every time I've been, a fish has jumped out of a tank to die on the floor. Every part of it feels like the back utility area of some aquarium where I'm not supposed to be.

oh that's disappointing to hear.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

drilldo squirt posted:

i would suggest an arapaima or red-tailed catfish

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

According to advertising, every loving fish in the world.

In reality, a planted shrimp tank is doable but prone to crashing. Triops maybe?

Can vouch for Triops, had them in a small setup like that as a kid and they did perfectly fine. Bear in mind, most species only live for a couple months anyway, and while they will happily lay eggs they usually need to be desiccated and rehydrated before they'll hatch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Days are getting longer and had a couple of high 70 low 80s, pond water temp staying above 60F for more than a few days at a time now

Counted 9 rosy red minnows, which is.... 4 more than I've counted since at least late October. Looks like all the goldenkillifish survived as well. I sort of had a rock pile in the center of the pond made out of bricks. I guess they were all hiding in there? Cool to see all the fish out and about finally

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Can vouch for Triops, had them in a small setup like that as a kid and they did perfectly fine. Bear in mind, most species only live for a couple months anyway, and while they will happily lay eggs they usually need to be desiccated and rehydrated before they'll hatch.

could go for a single fancy tailed guppy, like a mini betta maybe?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So I know my mystery snails have been boinkin' because every now and then I find a new clutch or one of the little guys snailin' around (this comes into play later).
My tank just crashed over the last week. first one mystery died, then a bunch of the Kuhli. A couple Columbian tetras dropped after that and the rest started to get abusive till they basically fought each other to death. Then the last one started picking on the molly and two swords who put the tetra in his place till he stressed out and died.
Tank parameters were fine, dunno what did it. So today decided to do an overhaul, pulled everything out. Found a baby snail graveyard behind the hardscape so i'm assuming the loaches were picking them off since all the shells were in the same place.

So i'm going back to my roots for simple but nice. 40 gallon breeder with under gravel filter and some plastic plants (judge away, haters), natural color gravel, saving one piece of the hardscape wood to kinda break up the bottom of the tank. Got a Marineland Magnum 360 canister and ordered a Marineland Penguin 375. Oh yes, I'm gonna filter the gently caress out of this poo poo.

B33rChiller posted:

Honestly, personal rule of my own, never trust a website that has "just purchased" notifications popping up at the bottom of the screen all the time.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 26, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

could go for a single fancy tailed guppy, like a mini betta maybe?

A single solitary guppy is almost guaranteed to be a jumper - guppies want only to eat and breed so he’d go looking for a bigger piece of water with more lady guppies in. Maybe a dwarf crayfish would work though?

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

You can get away with a betta in a five gallon though everyone online will tell you not to. Cherry shrimp and feeder snails too, maybe one nerite.

That's about it. You can't really keep anything that schools unless you get some tiny rasboras but a 10 gallon will always be preferred. 3-5 gallon tanks aren't worth the hassle IMO.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

funny way to spell posted:

You can get away with a betta in a five gallon though everyone online will tell you not to. Cherry shrimp and feeder snails too, maybe one nerite.

That's about it. You can't really keep anything that schools unless you get some tiny rasboras but a 10 gallon will always be preferred. 3-5 gallon tanks aren't worth the hassle IMO.

Bettas look so much better in 10 tho, really gives them the space to do territory marking behaviors, etc

5 and under are good for planted tanks, 5 can be good for shrimp but I recommend a lid to cut down on rate of water loss and top offs

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
And here's the remake

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm curious though what do you actually put in the 3-5 gallon tanks that are on sale everywhere?

I'd do a Walstad style planted tank with a few snails. I have a couple sealed jars with anubias, java moss, and duckweed that have been chugging along with no maintenance for years. One is maybe 1.5 gallons and the other is maybe 3? I've posted pics in this thread before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So last year for father's day I put together my "pond" and put the water lily in there second half of June, it did ok had a handful (6 or 7?) leaves maybe the size of a half dollar all year until christmas and the leaves died off with the brief freezes we were having (but enough to put some very light ice on one corner of the pond). I had two plants both were pretty similar condition.

This winter most of it died back and only had one or two leaves close to the rhizome all winter, plus a giant tangle of roots (super glued it to the side of a brick)

This year, just in March, there's already like, five large leaves underwater, each as big as my hand :dance:

The java/christmas/willow moss has absolutely exploded since last year, I think I bought about 4x 3oz "food cups" of moss last year I must have three or four gallons of the stuff now, doesn't look like any of it died off over the winter. Super-gluing it to the brick worked out great, none of it died, and big chunks have broken off and sort of wedged themselves everywhere as moss is wont to do, big mats of the stuff sort of drift into the "eddy" zones where the pump flow drops off, and then occasionally they get washed out by an overactive goldfish and it spreads everywhere.

Getting ready to move cross country, apparently you can fly with live fish and go through airport security no problem. Kind of mentally planning out if I'm going to pack and ship all the plants to the new location since I've probably got like $200 in healthy mature plants

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd try to take anything living you care about with you, probably a 90% chance the next owners won't give a gently caress about a pond and either fill it in or leave it in neglect.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah definitely, they're family members now. The pond is just a bunch of 1x5" planks in a box shape with 2x4 in the corners and an Amazon.com pond liner draped over it.

I was watching a video not long before that post, the guy had a styrofoam shipping box with about 12x12x12" internal volume with three or four standard fish transport bags inside, seems easy enough. I guess because there's live fish in the water it's obvious the liquid isn't an explosive. I'll probably do something similar. I've got about 10x small to medium rice fish, 10x small to medium golden killifish, 6x rosy red minnows and 3 larger goldfish about 6-7" long. Should all fit ok for one flight

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Getting ready to move cross country, apparently you can fly with live fish and go through airport security no problem. Kind of mentally planning out if I'm going to pack and ship all the plants to the new location since I've probably got like $200 in healthy mature plants

Live coral too! I did it once.

The TSA folks were friendly, but completely ignorant of their own rules. I had a printout of the the TSA regulation from their website which was a lifesaver. They did a little bomb swab test on it, and I was good to go.

Good luck with the move

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't even know what to say to this unless it's an early April fool's joke. Putting your name down should put you on a do-not-sell list

The saddest thing I have ever seen in an aquarium store was a 2.5 foot nurse shark for sale in an store that is 4 hours from the nearest ocean. That titan is just kind of sad, really. After my last humu humu died I really re-evaluated whether or not I thought getting another one was ethical and came down on the side of "no." To be clear, I think humu humu's can be ethically kept as pets, but I came to realize I didn't have the availability to feed a small one multiple times a day, and that my 75g was not sufficient for a bigger one.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The saddest thing I have ever seen in an aquarium store was a 2.5 foot nurse shark for sale in an store that is 4 hours from the nearest ocean. That titan is just kind of sad, really. After my last humu humu died I really re-evaluated whether or not I thought getting another one was ethical and came down on the side of "no." To be clear, I think humu humu's can be ethically kept as pets, but I came to realize I didn't have the availability to feed a small one multiple times a day, and that my 75g was not sufficient for a bigger one.

I had the same realization about rabbitfish and my 90 cube.

I think that the people arguing for complete aquarium fishing bans, like the ones in Hawaii are very much in the wrong, but that people who would put a nurse shark up for sale in a retail store demonstrate that there is an unacceptable lack of ethics in some aquarists.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
what are ppls thoughts on lionfish? I’d love to keep 1-3 but I’m hesitant because 1) they’re large and 2) venomous and 3) stigma

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a dwarf version you're looking at? All the lionfish I've ever seen were in the wild in the Bahamas were slightly smaller than a football + they had barbs that stick out another 3-8" in all directions. How big is your tank

Edit:

Found java moss growing on my pond pump spout today. I did not put this there, it's just taken over. Kind of surprised this stuff isn't banned in the carolinas, it would fit in just fine here

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 1, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

what are ppls thoughts on lionfish? I’d love to keep 1-3 but I’m hesitant because 1) they’re large and 2) venomous and 3) stigma

If I ever have a tank large enough I'd love to keep one. Given they're invasive in the Caribbean they ought to be dirt cheap and I'm surprised they aren't.

What's the stigma? Lionfish were will be good enough for Captain Picard :colbert:

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 1, 2023

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'd go for a dwarf lionfish, it doesn't quite get the bad rep the big ones are getting (and for drat good reasons - They're eating the fish until they explode). I'm just debating what I want in my tank. Cories or hillstream loaches.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

I'd go for a dwarf lionfish, it doesn't quite get the bad rep the big ones are getting (and for drat good reasons - They're eating the fish until they explode). I'm just debating what I want in my tank. Cories or hillstream loaches.

Hillstreams and pgymy cories!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Those sound awesome, thank you. I had to get rid of a couple of plants - they need a stronger light and the one I have isn't. I love hillstreams and cories. I just have to remember to make veggies and aufwuchs for the lil' hillstreams (repashi), and some algae disks.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Pygmy cories are absolutely hilarious. I love how mine just kinda float around the tank, land on something for a bit of a rest, and then take off again.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Got my 10 gallon set up.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my DIY upflow algae scrubber i decided to build on a whim cause the algae in my 65g saltwater was starting to get unsightly

instead of spending $200 on one, i built one with about $40 worth of matierals. most of that coming from an air pump and tube i had laying around.

i found a black plastic case and knitting mesh at a craft store. attached the mesh to the air tube with twisty ties, attached the case to the side of the sump with suction cups. drilled a few holes to let water in and the air tube.

on the door of the stand i put an LED light from 5 below to shine right into it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Did two hour acclimation for my new serpent stars. All but one have gone into hiding, the last is sitting where I dropped him.

Come on, go hide and live!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

my DIY upflow algae scrubber i decided to build on a whim cause the algae in my 65g saltwater was starting to get unsightly

instead of spending $200 on one, i built one with about $40 worth of matierals. most of that coming from an air pump and tube i had laying around.

i found a black plastic case and knitting mesh at a craft store. attached the mesh to the air tube with twisty ties, attached the case to the side of the sump with suction cups. drilled a few holes to let water in and the air tube.

on the door of the stand i put an LED light from 5 below to shine right into it

I made one almost exactly the same a few years back, works great! I'll see if I can dig up pics, they might be in the old saltwater thread though.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

got some fish and snails for the 60p

Anyone know where to get cheap co2 in the sf Bay Area? I asked the local air gas for pricing and they were about the same/lb as just having sodastream bottles refilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

got some fish and snails for the 60p

Anyone know where to get cheap co2 in the sf Bay Area? I asked the local air gas for pricing and they were about the same/lb as just having sodastream bottles refilled.

Horticulture places.

Speaking of which, I jus came home to find almost all my CPDs dead and the CO2 tank empty. I didn't realize my regulator would fail in that particular way. gently caress.