Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
speaking of judging i was interested to see how the judging has evolved by re-watching condit / hendricks. on the actual night i had hendricks winning and agreed with the judges. i re-watched that thing and hendricks did gently caress all with his top control and i gave the fight to condit accordingly. this could also be my hosed up brain but i don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eeevil posted:

Haven't been following UFC for long, but based on how things went with Paddy and O'Malley, I find it hard to believe Masvidal is going to lose by decision. Is Dana favorites getting favorable judging rarer than it's seemed so far?

Masvidal is 39 and he has made a career out of losing by decision.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Masvidal is 39 and he has made a career out of losing by decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean, yeah, Masvidal is a gatekeeper at best. He does a drat fine job at keeping that gate, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6IAz0GOCh4

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'll be betting on masvidal since he's a massive underdog and i think he's more of a dark horse. my reasons are pretty simple: he is very good at fighting. he does not have any technical weak points. demian maia's comments about jorge's defensive ground game rings loud, and he is not an easy guy to knock out; although at his age the effects of cumulative damage could catch up to him at literally any moment.

he'll probably lose, but i bet any dudes who bet on giblert will be sweating.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

E: dumb

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 6, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I forgot I ordered a copy of Mark Hunt's autobiography. Would the thread be interested in a chapter by chapter synopsis or nah?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Marching Powder posted:

I forgot I ordered a copy of Mark Hunt's autobiography. Would the thread be interested in a chapter by chapter synopsis or nah?

I beg of you to do so

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Oh most definitely

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There should be an audiobook version read by the man himself.

Same for Matt Hughes' but post accident.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

lol

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Masvidal is a middling fighter who sometimes overperforms, and Burns is a good fighter who sometimes underperforms, and that's MMA comedy's favorite combination. Unless Burns nukes him in ninety seconds, it could get real tense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

It’s a good read, yeah.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We need to come up with equivalent terms for "Franklinweight" for every weight semiclass.

HW/LhW - Cormierweight?
LhW/MW - Franklinweight.
MW/WW - Whittakerweight?
WW/LW - Masvidalweight? Nateweight?
LW/FW - Poirierweight?
FW/BW - Aldoweight?
BW/FlW - Linekerweight?

Either way they're both Nateweight(?)s too

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Believe it or not, but this is Bellator attempting to get people to care about Danny Sabatello's next fight

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1644037256519516162?t=9TOZ3FXPLj9_lsl_g48D7g&s=19

granted, there isn't much to work with, but yikes

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
As usual, I expect a solid ONE Friday Fights show tomorrow morning. A lot of good information was available this time to write a good preview of the main event.

ONE Friday Fights 12 - 2022-04-07
Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand

This week, Petsukumvit makes an attempt in week 12 of the series to become the first person to win 3 fights in ONE Friday Fights. His two previous victories were over Chofah at OFF3 and then a KO of Petchmuangsri at OFF8. Both of those fights were good, and this one probably will be as well. In the Channel 7 build-up article, Petsukumvit notes that he hopes that winning a third main event straight in ONE Friday Fights would allow him the opportunity to “step up to the ONE world stage in the future.” So the fighters on this show know it’s a minor league for ONE? Petsukumvit also said that he hopes to get a bonus this time and use it to help him build a house.

Kongthoranee made his OFF debut with a KO victory over Gingsanglek in the main event of OFF6. That fight made Kongthoranee the decisive victor of the trilogy between the two fighters. Kongthoranee is close friends with Petsukumvit, they often hang out together. He too made reference to “the world level” as a goal of his if he is able to win in this fight. Kongthoranee also noted that NETIZENS made comments negative of his work, which made him more eager to win.

As an extra note, I saw that there were several articles on the Channel 7 site alluding to the Muay Thai industry being critical of ONE using the 4 oz. gloves for Muay Thai fights, saying it was more dangerous than using the big boxing gloves. This is very similar to MMA-related arguments 20 years ago, and the response from ONE was similar to what you’d expect based on that precedent. Chatri did a Facebook stream to insist that “ONE is the safest fighting arena in the world.”

Part 1

Do Gyeom Lee (8-5) vs. Guilherme Antunes (5-0) (MMA 155)
Taiga Iwasaki (8-1) vs. Emmanuel Onyedikachi (4-1) (MMA 205)
Keanu Subba (9-6) vs. Nurzaman Ashbaev (MMA 155)
Nongam vs. Chu Nga Sze (MT 110)
Samingdam vs. Javad Bigdeli (MT 135)
Tapaokaew vs. Rafi Bohic (MT 145)

Part 2

Chalawan vs. Zeta (MT 124)
Tubtimthong vs. Pechnumchai (MT 112)
Khunsuk vs. Kohtao (MT 115)
Mohawk vs. Dentungtong (MT 135)
Yodphupa vs. Samuel Toscano (MT 145)
Petsukumvit (62-26) vs. Kongthoranee (61-14) (MT 135)

https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1644057875235364864

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LobsterMobster posted:

Believe it or not, but this is Bellator attempting to get people to care about Danny Sabatello's next fight

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1644037256519516162?t=9TOZ3FXPLj9_lsl_g48D7g&s=19

why is a bunch of this highlight reel him trying to not get submitted

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ilmucche posted:

why is a bunch of this highlight reel him trying to not get submitted

Because he's real bad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LobsterMobster posted:

they deleted it i think because everyone dunked on them

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Get your picks in
https://www.tapology.com/groups/998/events/114320

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

speaking of judging i was interested to see how the judging has evolved by re-watching condit / hendricks. on the actual night i had hendricks winning and agreed with the judges. i re-watched that thing and hendricks did gently caress all with his top control and i gave the fight to condit accordingly. this could also be my hosed up brain but i don't think so.

I think the judging rules changed two years ago or thereabouts? Damage is now the primary judging criteria. The change was suppose to make 10-8 rounds more common, but everyone seems to be ignoring that.

Octagon control, damage, and position used to be judged equally if I remember correctly.

Hah! It was changed 6 years ago, Condit v Hendricks was 10 years ago:
https://bloodyelbow.com/2017/01/02/2017-unified-rules-10-8-judging-criteria-explained-hinds-bell-mma-interview/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CommonShore posted:

We need to come up with equivalent terms for "Franklinweight" for every weight semiclass.

HW/LhW - Cormierweight?
LhW/MW - Franklinweight.
MW/WW - Whittakerweight?
LW/FW - Poirierweight?
FW/BW - Aldoweight?
BW/FlW - Linekerweight?

FW/LW/WW/MW Conorweight :lol:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I feel like most judges are just doing their own thing, a couple even straight up admit it and still regularly get brought back to judge, most of the people I've heard actually discuss judging criteria are, well, everyone but the judges themselves. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places though :shrug:.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

HW/LhW - Cormierweight?
LhW/MW - Franklinweight.
MW/WW - Whittakerweight?
LW/FW - Poirierweight?
FW/BW - Aldoweight?
BW/FlW - Linekerweight?

LW/WW has Dos Anjos, both Diaz bros, Cowboy, and Ben Henderson off the top of my head. I guess Conor now, too? I personally think a 155-165-175-185 weight class change would be perfect, lightweight to welterweight seems like too much of a jump for how much talent there is between those two divisions

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

rqeuested to join with same name as here

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
approved! welcome and best luck to be slightly better than the rest of us!

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

chaleski posted:

LW/WW has Dos Anjos, both Diaz bros, Cowboy, and Ben Henderson off the top of my head. I guess Conor now, too? I personally think a 155-165-175-185 weight class change would be perfect, lightweight to welterweight seems like too much of a jump for how much talent there is between those two divisions

I agree. I always thought they should go 130-140-150-160-170-180-195-210-Heavy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The first scale I want adjusted is pay.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

Do it but be warned it's a bit of a rough read

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1644090898278408192

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I hope Jerry is back.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

It’s gets pretty heavy at points, especially as someone who has friends who grew up in the same areas idolising hunt.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Friday Fights 12 Report:

If You Only Watch One Fight

Khunsuk (51-11) vs. Kohtao (50-12) (MT 115)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV0y6yNIyac&t=10297s (2:51:37)

Notable Finishes
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1644342895615303683
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1644357422931222529

Full Post
https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-12-2022-04-07

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hey, who likes completely unnecessary re-rematches

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1644442615419396101

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I guess she has to beat someone up.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CarlCX posted:

Hey, who likes completely unnecessary re-rematches

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1644442615419396101

Yeck... but then again, what challengers are there at 135 or 145?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Yeck... but then again, what challengers are there at 135 or 145?

I think the answer still ends up being Raquel Pennington, or maybe Blanchfield on short notice, heh. Otherwise I have no idea (could easily be missing someone)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

I think the answer still ends up being Raquel Pennington, or maybe Blanchfield on short notice, heh. Otherwise I have no idea (could easily be missing someone)

Blanchfield is a flyweight. Also, out of curiosity, I"m looking at the top 5 of 135's most recent 5 fights:

#1 Pena:
L vs Nunes
W vs Nunes
W vs McMann (No longer in UFC)
L vs de Randamie (Now retired)
W vs Montano (No longer in UFC

#2 Pennington:
W vs Vieira
W vs Ladd (No longer in UFC)
W vs Chiasson
W vs Kianzad
W vs Reneau (Retired)

#3 Holm:
W vs Santos
L vs Vieira
W vs Aldana
W vs Pennington
L vs Nunes

#4 Vieira
L vs Pennington
W vs Holm
W vs Tate
L vs Santos
W vs Eubanks (No longer in UFC)

#5 Aldana
W vs Chiasson
W vs Santos
L vs Holm
W vs Vieira
W vs Melo (No longer in UFC)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I don't love it but eh, that division is bare af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I think the biggest setback to establishing 135 as a division is the continued existence of Holly Holm