Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

jrpgs and VNs tend to have more accessible gave development tools compared to other genres, which tends to be a piece of the puzzle that gets overlooked here on why those genres attract those types.

the art budget and programming requirements are also generally a lot lower, since you can get by with less detailed graphics and don't have to deal with the utter nightmare of stuff like physics simulations or complicated pathfinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Isn’t LISA combat basically just earthbound?

Yeah, people level up and get new attacks that might have a status effect on it or they're healing/buff focused

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mato Anomalies has too much game. The story is stretched too thin and I hate this card game.

Its fine, but its like, two extra servings. Im good, its ok, end.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Barudak posted:

Mato Anomalies has too much game. The story is stretched too thin and I hate this card game.

Its fine, but its like, two extra servings. Im good, its ok, end.
How many chapters does it have? I'm nearly at the end of chapter 2 I think. Having a bit of trouble with a boss. I like the atmosphere so far

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cardinale posted:

How many chapters does it have? I'm nearly at the end of chapter 2 I think. Having a bit of trouble with a boss. I like the atmosphere so far

Im in 7 and iirc theres no more achievements for completing all sidequests in a chapter after this so Im gonna guess there are 8.

Two is iirc the hardest part of the game. The difficulty peaked around there, for sure. After that you'll start getting enough money and theres a massive jump in quality of the gears you get. Also, annoyingly, since stats are tied to weapons each character has one type of weapon that just always gives better stats than the other type of weapon they have, so make sure to always rock optimal gear.

If interested in the trophies/achievements, the buying from the shop one is not "buy 50 items" it is "buy at least one item in 50 completely separate transactions" i.e. until you fully quit out of the shopkeep dialog its the same transaction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Thank you for the assist, that's exactly what I meant.

I could've swore there was some dumb article about him after the game came out! That's exactly it!

he is literally describing valkyrie profile

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you see a genre as inherently valueless then you can assure yourself that no matter what you make it will probably be better than 'that garbage,' and likewise you will likely get praise for 'bucking trends' if everyone's image of the genre is lowrent stereotypes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am really glad for the end of the era where all indie games were like, portrayed as the genius products of artistic white dudes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly the “character different” is just the lions’s share of them past the early NES era, like gently caress, Dragon Quest IV is pretty simple in that your only option for physical attackers is literally Attack but Ragnar is a beefy guy who needs equipment to function, Alena isn’t a giant bucket of HP but she crits good and has good base defense, and Torneko just literally does whatever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this genre is inherently bad but don't worry i moved the camera and fixed it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What really blows up Mato Anomalies difficulty curve is getting the fourth character. Her basic attack is bonkers broken in your favor and when you compare to how awful all the attacks are for the fifth character you'll be stunned.

Tips to share:

1) With Smoker it seems like you should focus on taunting. This is a trap. His defense is not particularly better than anyone elses, even with buffs, so 3 enemies attacking him is not meaningfully different from a spread out series if attacks. Instead, because health is shared with the party, focus on the skill that gives you a damage nullifying shield for your team since that can block up to four attacks if spread out on your party

2) At level 25 every single character should take the "builds super bar faster" skill. Characters not in your party count towards this. It takes getting a full bar from "finish an entire floor, maybe more of a dungeon" to "every other fight"

3) The fourth character should take the ring weapon because the ring basic attack is broken. Take everything that buffs it asap. You will probably never lose another fight or be in major danger again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i am really glad for the end of the era where all indie games were like, portrayed as the genius products of artistic white dudes

"i don't care if it's good, as long as it's interesting" is a real factory default phrase of that era, too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think every era has its own bad/overcooked discourse. remembering the days of GDC people arguing about "formalist design", "ludonarrative dissonance", "wholesome", etc. right now i guess it's based on fromsoft/"accessability" discourse

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the accessibility discourse has been played out. Not really sure what's replaced it though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vermain posted:

"i don't care if it's good, as long as it's interesting" is a real factory default phrase of that era, too

uh oh I actually like that phrase and have frequently said something like that to pals when talking about media...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the accessibility discourse has been played out. Not really sure what's replaced it though.

I see it pop up pretty regularly but I'd say a more common one now is portrayal = authorial agreement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ehhhhh i think that's more like a "dumb teens arguing about art" thing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The next discourse will be about AI again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

yeah I didn't really like Nirvana Initiative nearly as much as the first one

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly the “character different” is just the lions’s share of them past the early NES era, like gently caress, Dragon Quest IV is pretty simple in that your only option for physical attackers is literally Attack but Ragnar is a beefy guy who needs equipment to function, Alena isn’t a giant bucket of HP but she crits good and has good base defense, and Torneko just literally does whatever.

I mean, I've never played LISA so I have no idea what he means by making every characters different, but I think the go to JRPG for most people is gonna be FFVII, Maybe FFVI or VIII. The point is, FF was going in "everyone is the same" dierction for a long time at the height of JRPG mainstream popularity in the 90s and early 2000s.

Being charitable, maybe that's what he's thinking of. I have no idea how old this guy is, though. He could have grown up playing FF1 on NES for all I know. But for people my age, I think FFVII and them loom very large over our perception of JRPGs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, I've never played LISA so I have no idea what he means by making every characters different, but I think the go to JRPG for most people is gonna be FFVII, Maybe FFVI or VIII. The point is, FF was going in "everyone is the same" dierction for a long time at the height of JRPG mainstream popularity in the 90s and early 2000s.

FFVIII is nothing like FFVII lol. it's barely like any other game i've ever played. i still don't know what the gently caress i'm doing in that combat system

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

every character in ff6 had their own individual gimmick command???

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Srice posted:

uh oh I actually like that phrase and have frequently said something like that to pals when talking about media...

i dislike the idea principally because "good" is such a value-loaded adjective that approaching media from the angle of good vs. not good can cause you to end up missing the forest for the trees of why something is interesting in the first place

stuff like eurojank is interesting because they're products that're clunky and poorly-conceived, but those rough edges add an indelible charm that would otherwise be missing. a theoretical wanted: dead with another three months of polish and some actual acting talent could conceivably be a "good" game, but it would also be a vastly less interesting, and certainly less memorable, title as a consequence of that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vermain posted:

i dislike the idea principally because "good" is such a value-loaded adjective that approaching media from the angle of good vs. not good can cause you to end up missing the forest for the trees of why something is interesting in the first place

stuff like eurojank is interesting because they're products that're clunky and poorly-conceived, but those rough edges add an indelible charm that would otherwise be missing. a theoretical wanted: dead with another three months of polish and some actual acting talent could conceivably be a "good" game, but it would also be a vastly less interesting, and certainly less memorable, title as a consequence of that

i think this kind of attitude has actually gotten *more* relevant due to the whole "monoculture" discourse (that's another one) and how AAA games seem to once again be shifting towards a single, safe design style pioneered by games like Destiny after years of them being like Assassin's Creed

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

every character in ff6 had their own individual gimmick command???

Yeah and then you get Espers and none of that poo poo matters. It's why people do Natural Magic Runs.

FFVI started the trend of everyone can do everything that FFVII just finalized.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

FFVIII is nothing like FFVII lol. it's barely like any other game i've ever played. i still don't know what the gently caress i'm doing in that combat system

Characters have no unique abilities outside Limits in FFVII or VIII. Stats are also pretty similar so it doesn't matter if you want Aerith to bonk someone or cast magic at them and of course in VIII you can raise any stat on anyone any time you want.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

This is actually the answer. Really unfortunate time to be any sort of artist or designer when the entire online space is going to be filled with derivative and stolen garbage cobbled together with machine learning.

We thought Steam was filled with Asset flip garbage before, soon there's going to be an absolute deluge. Hopefully the people using it just get bored.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/dl688k.mp4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cardinale posted:

Also I slam skipped way too much dialog at one point after the fourth character is introduced when I was burning through character dialog backlogs so if you're taking it slower can you confirm my assumption that Mist and Nightshade are supposed to be romantically interested but its written in that censorship dodging kind of way?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah and then you get Espers and none of that poo poo matters. It's why people do Natural Magic Runs.

Characters have no unique abilities outside Limits in FFVII or VIII. Stats are also pretty similar so it doesn't matter if you want Aerith to bonk someone or cast magic at them and of course in VIII you can raise any stat on anyone any time you want.

Couldn't the same happen in 2, 3 and 5?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
final fantasy just has a few games that experiment with party building because that's a thing in the rpgs that inspired them. the psx games and ffx dabble in that but their parties are still distinctly more defined than the famicom games where the idea of having set characters with set roles effectively didn't exist. even if ff is all you're looking at you can hardly say having customizable party roles is something unique to jrpgs, or act like that's a criticism

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 6, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Couldn't the same happen in 2, 3 and 5?

To a lesser extent because with 7 and 8 it's just a matter of changing equipment/materia/whatever for an instant effect whereas with 5 you'd wanna gain levels in jobs, with 3 you can change jobs at will but they'd need class-specific equipment instead of having character-specific equipment so you might not have everything you'd need, and with 2 it takes time to make a physical attacker good at magic and vice-versa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Even with espers characters have distinct gimmicks that are as good or better than magic.The only time it levels out is once you are so powerleveled you can crush everything and even then physical attacks still have the highest potential damage output.

A vanishingly small percentage of FF6 fans did super minmaxing runs as opposed to just playing the game and going 'autocrossbow goes brr'

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
FFX even with the crossover with the sphere grid, I usually hear it conceptualized as grabbing from that character's specialty (magic from lulu's portion etc)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the expert sphere grid does kinda make it easier to just spec characters into other character's Thing but the expert sphere grid also gives you a lot less basic stat upgrades to work with and is pretty clearly like, a replay gimmick

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it takes a while before you can start dabbling with the cool part of the sphere grid, beyond that it's mostly a straight line

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main thing is just that ff's always been like. a bit weirder and less clearly defined than other rpg systems. the number of ff games where characters are strictly defined into set roles is minuscule compared to the number of games where they experiment with allowing you to reclass and multiclass

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a lot of respect for FF as a whole for how they play around with different rpg systems in each installment

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah in fairness i totally misread the post and thought it meant that all FF games ended up playing the same which seemed silly to me

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the current discourse is whether there should be more sex scenes.

Oh wait video games. Yeah it's probably going to be AI art. I kinda hope that it follows the same trajectory as NFTs where we get one or two really lovely cartoons out of it, and then the investors lose interest as it fails to live up to promises of infinite money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are some narrow places where i feel like it might be "interesting" like the concept of a computer DM for a P+P-style RPG but yeah