Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The ending works for me. Part of it is I easily see Jake ordering this blaze of glory to atone in some way for being a war criminal, and part of it is that the war that ended just sowed the seeds for the next war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The ending works for me. Part of it is I easily see Jake ordering this blaze of glory to atone in some way for being a war criminal, and part of it is that the war that ended just sowed the seeds for the next war.

I don't see Jake sacrificing other people to atone for what he sees as his sins. Himself, maybe, but not his crew. I read this as a suicide attack, but not because the goal was suicide so much as it was the only way to maybe take out the One, who seems very much like Crayak-lite. They are probably dead, but not definitely, and it does seem like a return to the status quo where they were also probably dead a lot of the time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Okay so who wrote good fanfiction following up on this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Not to distract from the ongoing discussion about the ending and the overall wrap up of the series in general but I've been granted permission by Epicurius to extend the Let's Read a tiny bit longer while he gets ready to move on to Everworld by covering both Alternamorphs COYA books in his stead.

Now since these are Choose Your Own Adventure books we'll be treating this like a standard COYA experience in Let's Play, but we'll go over that more in depth at the appropriate time once we start this bullshit end note to the whole experience. We'll be starting with the first chapters up to the first decision point on Tuesday just to get over holiday weekend entirely and then go alternating days of voting/posting until we finally run completely out of Animorphs material once and for all.

:getin:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Elfangor survived ramming the blade ship so I don't think it's a suicide mission. Logically yeah they'd probably die, but narratively I don't think that's how we're supposed to take it.

I'm not a huge fan of introducing a new villain on the last two pages of a fifty book series. The last book as a whole was strong though. And the series, with all of its flaws, really is fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Elfangor survived ramming the blade ship so I don't think it's a suicide mission. Logically yeah they'd probably die, but narratively I don't think that's how we're supposed to take it.

I'm not a huge fan of introducing a new villain on the last two pages of a fifty book series. The last book as a whole was strong though. And the series, with all of its flaws, really is fantastic.

Michael Grant later confirmed either in a tweet or a Reddit AMA post, I can't exactly remember which, but he said that they all survived.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Not to distract from the ongoing discussion about the ending and the overall wrap up of the series in general but I've been granted permission by Epicurius to extend the Let's Read a tiny bit longer while he gets ready to move on to Everworld by covering both Alternamorphs COYA books in his stead.

Now since these are Choose Your Own Adventure books we'll be treating this like a standard COYA experience in Let's Play, but we'll go over that more in depth at the appropriate time once we start this bullshit end note to the whole experience. We'll be starting with the first chapters up to the first decision point on Tuesday just to get over holiday weekend entirely and then go alternating days of voting/posting until we finally run completely out of Animorphs material once and for all.

Finally we'll be covering the good stuff.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

nine-gear crow posted:

We haven’t ran out of material until all the video games have been let played and we’ve done a let’s watch of the show. :colbert:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Was kind of reading this last book as a Lord of the Rings Scouring of the Shire ape, except I don't think Gandalf shows up with another dragon to rob just at the end.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

lol these are so bad let’s do it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the alternamorphs books were literally the first books I ever read that taught me you could feel disappointment from a book, lol

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Thanks for taking us through this journey, Epicurius! Hope you have some more time to focus on your health now.
The first Alternamorphs book was the first thing I actually ever read from the series, so I'm looking forward to reliving it now.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They’re not good by any stretch, but I’ll always respect the second one for its premise of “play as David”.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Star Man posted:

I'll never feel quite right with the Chee or the Ellimist and Crayak. My feelings towards them are as an adult with better literacy. The Chee's holograms have always seemed like complete bullshit that bailed the kids out of unwinnable situations. Applegate did her best to not make the Ellimist and Crayak's game one about destiny and prophecy, so the characters had most of their agency. The Ellimist is a god drat liar and totally influenced the Animorphs where they could get away with it by showing them the Kandrona ray in book 7 and restoring Tobias's morphing ability. But then there's the time matrix, and I've grown to absolutely hate time travel in science fiction. I will concede that Elfangor became a nothlit as a human and is Tobias's father and the Ellimist pulled off some bullshit to thrust him back into the Andelite-Yeerk war as an Andelite and wiped out Loren's memory. All of that could have been done without the time matrix. I absolutely do not understand the point of all that.

Even as a very dumb 10 year-old reading about those characters, I felt the same way. It felt like there was this nastier, leaner story that couldn't get out and so all this extra fluff was scooped on top to stretch things out. That would be too much to realistically expect, even if it wasn't a kid series, and I knew that even then... but those three are narrative devices only barely pay off and only with a lot of work to partition them off from the "real" story.

I still like the Ellimist Chronicles though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh and yes very interesting final chapters. Always thought it was interesting that they gave it to Marco, and he doesn't mention Jeanne at all considering how hard he tries to jump her prior, but yeah it's an appropriate ending. Also feels appropriate that religious zealotry is the "next phase" after the Yeerks given when the series was published.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Oh and yes very interesting final chapters. Always thought it was interesting that they gave it to Marco, and he doesn't mention Jeanne at all considering how hard he tries to jump her prior, but yeah it's an appropriate ending. Also feels appropriate that religious zealotry is the "next phase" after the Yeerks given when the series was published.

It really gives you the impression that the Sharing was created just as much for the Yeerks' own personal mental and spiritual benefit by Edriss as it was for the benefit of their invasion plan. The Yeerk Empire was already very structurally cult like, especially given how its rank and file were basically terminally programmed by the upper echelons to the point where flushing 17,000 of them out into space was viewed as the more acceptable alternative than trying to even bother to deprogram any of them once the cult leadership was busted with a sledgehammer. So a lot of them just falling right into the embrace of effectively yet another cult as a means to try and regain power and prestige under The One is incredibly fitting.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think the big thing about the Yeerks is that until Seerow showed up, the Yeerks didn't know that the rest of the galaxy existed. The only other species they knew about were the Gedds, and they mainly used them to help them migrate. They were blind. Had no written language, and no real society.
Then in less then a generation, they'll lea4n about the rest of the galaxy, steal Andalite ships, teach themselves modern archeology, ally with the Taxxons, and enslave the Hork-Bajir. How amazing and frightening that must be to the average Yeerk. Everything they knew was wrong, and now a race of parasites/symbiotes now find themselves in an existential war.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

freebooter posted:

This wistful line sums up all my feelings about the series as a whole. For all the body horror and PTSD and brutal experiences... it really was a grand, exciting adventure that's inextricably wrapped up with memories of my childhood. The days, man.

I'm reminded of the very end of Ken Burns' Civil War, and Shelby Foote's quotation of the memoirs of Confederate Sergeant Barry Benson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mumPcoIZa_I

“In time, even death itself might be abolished; who knows but it may be given to us after this life to meet again in the old quarters, to play chess and draughts, to get up soon to answer the morning role call, to fall in at the tap of the drum for drill and dress parade, and again to hastily don our war gear while the monotonous patter of the long roll summons to battle.

Who knows but again the old flags, ragged and torn, snapping in the wind, may face each other and flutter, pursuing and pursued, while the cries of victory fill a summer day? And after the battle, then the slain and wounded will arise, and all will meet together under the two flags, all sound and well, and there will be talking and laughter and cheers, and all will say, Did it not seem real? Was it not as in the old days?”

I think one of the reasons why this series has endured is that it very much captured the sense of a group of friends together on a grand adventure. For all the terrors of combat, the horrors of war, the agony over the lives lost and decisions made... for these characters, there will never be anything else like the thrilling sensation of being shot at (and missed), of soaring above the city in formation, or of plotting a mission in Cassie's barn. And for those who read these books when we were the ages of these characters (Or slightly younger, in my case), it was all too easy to imagine yourself beside them.

And then they released some books where you really were supposed to imagine yourself beside them, and they were hot garbage! :v: The Alternamorphs books are so, so obviously half-assed attempts to hop on the Choose-Your-Own Adventure craze of the late '90s/early 2000s (see also: the Give-Yourself-Goosebumps books), and I'm excited to relive just how bad they both were.

Anyway, thanks again for posting these, Epicurius. I still have to jump back in the thread and catch up on a bunch of the ghostwritten books, but it's been really fun to reread and reexperience the series from the beginning to the end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also, going back a bit:

WrightOfWay posted:

Maybe she wanted it to be Yosemite and the publisher wanted it to be Yellowstone?

Yeah, the choice of Yellowstone over Yosemite is so odd. Like, in addition to keeping the California connection with Yosemite, just imagine seeing a bunch of Hork-Bajir swinging through a grove of Sequoias. Hell, they could even help with wildfires! If this series ever gets a sequel or some other adaptation gets all the way to the end I demand this be retconned :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

You don't want to talk about a sequel.

You REALLY don't want to talk about a sequel.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I also never read it as a suicide attack, I thought it was just a cliffhanger ending with the implicit agreement that the series is over and the cliffhanger will never be resolved except in our imagination. The series always had such a fun Star Trek influence that I feel happier leaving Jake, Marco and Tobias exploring the galaxy trying to rescue their friend, than just sitting back on Earth dealing with the fallout of war. (Not to say that this book doesn't do well addressing the messy, imperfect conclusion of a war they won.)

Fuschia tude posted:

Also glad you're going to post Applegate's letter. I've avoided it because I was sure it would be full of spoilers. Was it really added to later printings of this book? Not just this one?

This was me who "remembered" this and it's probably 100% a false memory. They totally should have though. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think one of the reasons why this series has endured is that it very much captured the sense of a group of friends together on a grand adventure. For all the terrors of combat, the horrors of war, the agony over the lives lost and decisions made... for these characters, there will never be anything else like the thrilling sensation of being shot at (and missed), of soaring above the city in formation, or of plotting a mission in Cassie's barn. And for those who read these books when we were the ages of these characters (Or slightly younger, in my case), it was all too easy to imagine yourself beside them.

Yeah, there's something very sort of soothingly Saturday morning cartoonish about the little '90s suburban California world it creates - the barn, the woods, the Gardens, the mall - and the formula of their missions and their lives: the infiltration morphs, the surveillance bird of prey morphs, the battle morphs, the aquatic morphs, the Morph of the Week to deal with whatever new situation they're in. And so putting the trauma and the horror of war aside, there's something sad about Marco sitting there - sort of as a reader surrogate - wistfully thinking about the old days, which are gone and never coming back.

Thanks for taking us down memory lane for the past few years Epicurius, it's been great.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It reads like the war equivalent of 'last star on the left, and on till morning,' to me.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, a lot of people had criticisms about the last book and the way it ended (some of which were repeated here). Applegate, who had always been good at communicating with her readers, decided to write a response....a final letter to the people who didn't like the way the book ended explaining why she ended it that way.

quote:

Dear Animorphs Readers:

Quite a number of people seem to be annoyed by the final chapter in the Animorphs story. There are a lot of complaints that I let Rachel die. That I let Visser Three/One live. That Cassie and Jake broke up. That Tobias seems to have been reduced to unexpressed grief. That there was no grand, final fight-to-end-all-fights. That there was no happy celebration. And everyone is mad about the cliffhanger ending.

So I thought I'd respond.

Animorphs was always a war story. Wars don't end happily. Not ever. Often relationships that were central during war, dissolve during peace. Some people who were brave and fearless in war are unable to handle peace, feel disconnected and confused. Other times people in war make the move to peace very easily. Always people die in wars. And always people are left shattered by the loss of loved ones.

That's what happens, so that's what I wrote. Jake and Cassie were in love during the war, and end up going their seperate ways afterward. Jake, who was so brave and capable during the war is adrift during the peace. Marco and Ax, on the other hand, move easily past the war and even manage to use their experience to good effect. Rachel dies, and Tobias will never get over it. That doesn't by any means cover everything that happens in a war, but it's a start.

Here's what doesn't happen in war: there are no wondrous, climactic battles that leave the good guys standing tall and the bad guys lying in the dirt. Life isn't a World Wrestling Federation Smackdown. Even the people who win a war, who survive and come out the other side with the conviction that they have done something brave and necessary, don't do a lot of celebrating. There's very little chanting of 'we're number one' among people who've personally experienced war.

I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To think about the right and wrong, not just the who-beat-who. And to tell you the truth I'm a little shocked that so many readers seemed to believe I'd wrap it all up with a lot of high-fiving and backslapping. Wars very often end, sad to say, just as ours did: with a nearly seamless transition to another war.

So, you don't like the way our little fictional war came out? You don't like Rachel dead and Tobias shattered and Jake guilt-ridden? You don't like that one war simply led to another? Fine. Pretty soon you'll all be of voting age, and of draft age. So when someone proposes a war, remember that even the most necessary wars, even the rare wars where the lines of good and evil are clear and clean, end with a lot of people dead, a lot of people crippled, and a lot of orphans, widows and grieving parents.

If you're mad at me because that's what you have to take away from Animorphs, too bad. I couldn't have written it any other way and remained true to the respect I have always felt for Animorphs readers.

So that's the series. There are a few books I didn't cover.....the Alternomorph books, which are being covered by nine-gear crow, a book called "Meet the Animorphs, about the tv show and the actors in it, and the parody "Veggie Morphs", where the characters are cutting across a garden when they see a ship crash, piloted by the Prince of the Vegetable Kingdom, at war with the evil Jeerks. The Vegetable Kingdom does about as well in the war as the Andalites

quote:

"Don't despair. We of the Vegetable Kingdom have vowed to fight the Jerkks wherever
they go. We have followed them to dozens of planets throughout the galaxy."
"Have you succeeded?" Tommy asked.
Prince Brassica looked sad. "We lost the last planet," he said.
"What about the one before that?" asked Randi.
Prince Brassica shook his head. "Beaten."
"But you won on the planet before that, right?" Olivia asked eagerly.
Prince Brassica hung his curly head and looked at the ground. "Uh ... not exactly."
My stomach was churning. I was feeling sick. "Um, exactly how many times have you
defeated the Jerkks? How many planets have you saved?"
An awful silence hung in the air. We all waited for the answer. Then we waited some
more.
"Let me guess," I finally said. "What you're not saying is that you've never won. You
haven't saved a single planet from the Jerkks, have you?"
Something like a little sob escaped from Prince Brassica. "All right, all right, we've
never won. In the end, we always turn and run, and they cover everything with mold," he
said. His voice took on a whiny tone. "Do you know what that does to my self-esteem?"
he said. "I feel like a joke.

Anyway, we're not reading that, although the cartoon Arthur did a similar parody.

Well start the new series on Monday. Happy Easter to Christians, Chag Sameach for Jews, and Ramadan Mubarak for Muslims.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

Kazzah posted:

They’re not good by any stretch, but I’ll always respect the second one for its premise of “play as David”.

I loved them as a child because I was the kind of person who liked to die/lose as many ways as possible and they gave so many options for that..

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Epicurius posted:

Well start the new series on Monday. Happy Easter to Christians, Chag Sameach for Jews, and Ramadan Mubarak for Muslims.

Thanks, Epi. It's been a really weird three years, and this thread has been a great ride through it. I love this weird, dark, occasionally-stupid-and-often-brilliant book series, and it's been a real pleasure to get to read along with you and everyone else in the thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Epicurius posted:

So, you don't like the way our little fictional war came out? You don't like Rachel dead and Tobias shattered and Jake guilt-ridden? You don't like that one war simply led to another? Fine. Pretty soon you'll all be of voting age, and of draft age. So when someone proposes a war, remember that even the most necessary wars, even the rare wars where the lines of good and evil are clear and clean, end with a lot of people dead, a lot of people crippled, and a lot of orphans, widows and grieving parents.

Again, still absolutely chilling to remember that within literal weeks of this letter being published, 9/11 happened and then there were US soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan. It's gonna be one of those things that will always haunt me about this series. This paragraph, 9/11, and everything that came after it...

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I have nothing but the utmost respect for an author who writes - even when writing children's fiction - a reflection of our own cruel and unfair world, and doesn't flinch away from explaining to the readers precisely why she did so. It's the difference between writing actual proper literature (again, even if it's a children's book about turning into animals) or writing Mary Sue fan-fic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Avalerion posted:

The cliffhanger non-ending is lame. All the other stuff with how and where everyone ended up after the invasion was very well done though.

This is about how I feel. I think the "ram the ship!" ending shifts the focus too much onto this one-off cliffhanger of how the battle is going to turn out, which dilutes the message of how the Animorphs are adapating/failing to adapt to the world post-war. All the stuff leading up to that is fantastic and emotionally powerful, but I feel like the conversations in the playground the week after this came out were about if Jake and co survived the battle, not about if they survived the war.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

freebooter posted:

It's the difference between writing actual proper literature (again, even if it's a children's book about turning into animals) or writing Mary Sue fan-fic.
Don't let YouTube substitute for your literature education. That's such a sad statement.
I mean, yes, nakedly so. Hollywood and the visual media industry has always been a cadre of douchebags looking to use written media as a springboard to do whatever dumb bullshit they already wanted to do which is "keep the lights on long enough to still look pretty and keep having cheap plastic sex". Thanks to modern marketing algorithms scraping for keywords and the absolute dearth of taste that is the majority audience, I've had to watch nearly every single property I knew about 20-30 years ago get a sad, paunchy revival.

In the last month I've seen a very sad revival for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, a very sad revival for Clone High, and some weird card company releasing a crappy nerd movie all the while the algorithm barrages me with ads like "YOU KNOW THIS THEREFORE YOU LOVE IT" and seriously it all needs to gently caress off.

It's a testament to Animorphs' enduring lack of marketability that the only thing the visual media industry can think to do when reading about the premise is to try and spin it for comedy, and lord oh lord are they going to have a hard time doing that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

So, a lot of people had criticisms about the last book and the way it ended (some of which were repeated here). Applegate, who had always been good at communicating with her readers, decided to write a response....a final letter to the people who didn't like the way the book ended explaining why she ended it that way.

This is such a true and powerful message that speaks a lot to why I've grown so dissatisfied and contemptuous of stories in video games and books that don't treat war with this gravity. War is the ruiner of things. It destroys places, ends lives, corrodes the souls of those who survive, and leaves little but physical and psychological devastation in its wake, even the wars that you can make an argument were righteous and justified.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

This reminds me that Robot Chicken has done some Animorphs skits in their recent seasons. There's no mention of any aliens which aligns with what most people think of the series as about teens with powers getting into hijinks. They definitely know though and are playing that perception up for the gag.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

mind the walrus posted:

... a very sad revival for Clone High

Oh what? Ew nooo :(

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cptn_dr posted:

Thanks, Epi. It's been a really weird three years, and this thread has been a great ride through it. I love this weird, dark, occasionally-stupid-and-often-brilliant book series, and it's been a real pleasure to get to read along with you and everyone else in the thread.

I've been re-watching Battlestar Galactica over the last few months (and season 4 for the first time) and that's pretty much how I feel there, too.

This series has possibly aged better than that one, though.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Fuschia tude posted:

I've been re-watching Battlestar Galactica over the last few months (and season 4 for the first time) and that's pretty much how I feel there, too.

This series has possibly aged better than that one, though.

I've rewatched BSG pretty recently. Yes, it has. BSG's ending still makes me mad with how slapped together it is. It's frustrating because when the show was good it was SO GOOD. It peaked at the end of the second season with the whole Pegasus arc, and then the writers' strike happened. It was clear though that the showrunners had no clear idea how the series would wrap up and that's what ultimately hurt it, not the strike. Animorphs OTOH, valid criticisms about pacing in the ending arc aside, at least ends in a way that is thematically coherent with the rest of the series imo.

Regarding Animorphs, I'd mostly spoiled myself on the larger plot points of the ending, but I was still pleasantly surprised with how well it came together. There's definitely a lack of catharsis but that was ultimately what Applegrant wanted, and while I definitely understand why people dislike it even now, it mostly works for me.

I'm glad we're doing Everworld next! I've only read the second book and that was like back in 2002, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it (mostly) fresh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Traxus IV posted:

Oh what? Ew nooo :(
Yeah I love me some Lord and Miller but they aren't saving this one. I understand that they can't recapture the magic and want to do their own thing, but what they've shown so far has all the same marks as Velma where someone watched a few Adult Swim blocks, read a bunch of reddit posts, and said "yeah, yeah I think I get this" and they clearly do not really "get it."

Happy as poo poo for Wil Forte and Nicole Sullivan though. Get paid y'all. Will probably watch an Abraham Lincoln highlight reel at some point because Forte as Abe is the funniest poo poo in the world to me.

dungeon cousin posted:

This reminds me that Robot Chicken has done some Animorphs skits in their recent seasons. There's no mention of any aliens which aligns with what most people think of the series as about teens with powers getting into hijinks. They definitely know though and are playing that perception up for the gag.
Oh cool nostalgia-washing history to remove anything interesting or deep in order to trivialize something for quick recognition cash. Yeah that's Robot Chicken for you.

Cythereal posted:

This is such a true and powerful message that speaks a lot to why I've grown so dissatisfied and contemptuous of stories in video games and books that don't treat war with this gravity. War is the ruiner of things. It destroys places, ends lives, corrodes the souls of those who survive, and leaves little but physical and psychological devastation in its wake, even the wars that you can make an argument were righteous and justified.
Video Games are especially bad for trying to have their cake and eat it with "we'll let you simulate horrific acts and lives, but if your character feels bad or get told they feel bad, it's alright!"

That's why if I do play ludicrously violent games it's usually something like '93 DOOM or modern stuff like DUSK where it's all abstracted to hell. Even Fortnite is clearly a field where the arms and logistics are a means to goof around. Apex Legends isn't the worst I've ever seen, but it gets more at what you're talking about where it's this weird half-cartoon/half-realistic world where fighting is this almost aristocratic whimsy space for heroes, but even then it's also clearly just Virtual "Tag" and the aesthetic trappings are just the path of least resistance.

But it'd be nice to see games that manage to

• get at the realities of being in war
  • without being misery porn or errand simulators

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I love me some Lord and Miller but they aren't saving this one. I understand that they can't recapture the magic and want to do their own thing, but what they've shown so far has all the same marks as Velma where someone watched a few Adult Swim blocks, read a bunch of reddit posts, and said "yeah, yeah I think I get this" and they clearly do not really "get it."

Happy as poo poo for Wil Forte and Nicole Sullivan though. Get paid y'all. Will probably watch an Abraham Lincoln highlight reel at some point because Forte as Abe is the funniest poo poo in the world to me.

Oh cool nostalgia-washing history to remove anything interesting or deep in order to trivialize something for quick recognition cash. Yeah that's Robot Chicken for you.

Video Games are especially bad for trying to have their cake and eat it with "we'll let you simulate horrific acts and lives, but if your character feels bad or get told they feel bad, it's alright!"

That's why if I do play ludicrously violent games it's usually something like '93 DOOM or modern stuff like DUSK where it's all abstracted to hell. Even Fortnite is clearly a field where the arms and logistics are a means to goof around. Apex Legends isn't the worst I've ever seen, but it gets more at what you're talking about where it's this weird half-cartoon/half-realistic world where fighting is this almost aristocratic whimsy space for heroes, but even then it's also clearly just Virtual "Tag" and the aesthetic trappings are just the path of least resistance.

But it'd be nice to see games that manage to

• get at the realities of being in war
  • without being misery porn or errand simulators

Spec Ops: The Line. It even has basically the same "who said I survived?" Ending.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Spec Ops was exactly what I was thinking of where it's just a moral atrocity simulator followed by the game bludgeoning you around the head with it as though it's a deep or meaningful insight. "You could have stopped playing!" is not a deep metatextual gotcha, it's exploiting the goodwill of the player because they trusted that you had more to show them than a mirror and a sneer.

Meaningful for the absolute dullest meatheads who play any military shooter game because "ooh-rah" or whatever goes on in their brains, but there's a reason that game is a curiosity rather than a landmark.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Uhhhh..... OK.

TCE
Feb 26, 2016

Soonmot posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Okay so who wrote good fanfiction following up on this?

As someone who's really not into infection at all, I really liked this author: https://archiveofourown.org/series/151619. It's a series of stories that take place after the war, from the perspective of a surviving Tom. Normally I'd consider keeping him around a big narrative cheat, but I think it works here as a way of showing the characters from an outside but still familiar perspective. The stories are interconnected, but can be read in any order, and mostly focus on what it's like for former hosts to try and live their life, and integrate back into normalcy after everything that's happened. Like I said, normally not my thing, but I liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Spec Ops was exactly what I was thinking of where it's just a moral atrocity simulator followed by the game bludgeoning you around the head with it as though it's a deep or meaningful insight. "You could have stopped playing!" is not a deep metatextual gotcha, it's exploiting the goodwill of the player because they trusted that you had more to show them than a mirror and a sneer.

Meaningful for the absolute dullest meatheads who play any military shooter game because "ooh-rah" or whatever goes on in their brains, but there's a reason that game is a curiosity rather than a landmark.

That reminds me of the people who start playing a PC game and say "wow this game lets you save and load at any time and you can adjust the game speed on the fly? And you're expected to play like that?! They should reference this in the narrative like Prince of Persia does!!!!" Yeah way to go presenting the shallowest observation about the most fundamental game mechanics as some sort of metatextual insight.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 7, 2023