Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A lot of problems though not nearly all problems with the changelings would be fixed if the ones in suits were not changelings but random alien goons. There's literally no reason for them to be, they don't change shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just realized that the Shrike is introduced with a laundry list of weaponry and the only thing we ever saw it do was use the lazy portal gun and then explode.

Its like if TNG Worf were a starship.

"I know 800 different to ways to kill a man before he can even react. Do not test me." [Has a rock thrown at it and then dies]

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Forgetting the mechanics of Changelings and how Deanna's empath abilities work aside, I thought it was a good episode, especially the scenes with Data talking to Lore and Geordi.

I'd say that Deanna is a Changeling if it weren't for the heartfelt conversation with Riker.

I thought the rural rustic lifestyle made sense for Riker, aside from being there for Thad due to the "regenerative properties" of Nepenthe. I agree that Deanna would probably prefer the city, though. It also feels like movies and TV shows are overusing legacy characters becoming hermits in order to save money on sets. It really did feel like their dialog was about making GBS threads on the season 1 writers. I bet they would've even poo poo on the idea of Thad's bespoke disease written to fit into the plot like a jigsaw piece if they could find a way for the characters to do that

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This poo poo literally could have been "Wrath of Lore" with a focused antagonist from the get-go, you could do the Nebula stuff with Lore and the Shrike instead, and then the resolution is what Data does here, and it would have been fine.

The Changelings just feel so out of place in this story, which is supposed to be there's and Jack Crusher, who we still no gently caress all about.
This season is so frustrating compared to the others because the skeleton for an interesting plot/ character story is there.

God drat it, potential squandered

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

TulliusCicero posted:

This seems like a hell of a design flaw.

And yeah couldn't they turn back into goop on contact?

Maybe maybe not. They did kill their creator before the work was really complete, otherwise they would have been set loose to do their infiltrating.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lmao that data/lore chat

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey you know that red door

Don't loving open it idiot

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Riker grew up in Alaska and the first time we ever see him he’s walking around in awe of the holodeck’s lovely forest. I don’t buy for a second that he hates living in a nice cabin somewhere.

Missing people and crowds, sure.

I will admit that these lines got a genuine laugh from me.

Will: How was he?
Deanna: Good in bed, terrible at making pizza.
Will: Oh, just like me :mmmhmm:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it felt like the dialogue in this episode was particularly bad. too many "clever" quips, weird unnecessary cursing, simultaneously too little and too much exposition, vadic's monologue literally sounded like a lower decks joke, and i think riker and troi's dialogue made me feel like the relationship really wasn't real. it wasn't so much how they were acting but what they were saying, you know?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If I were making this season, I would have divvied it up into a

3-parter
2-parter
3-parter
And a final 2 parter that ties it all together.

Clearly these chumps have no idea how to keep a story going longer than three episodes. And that’s okay. Stick to where your talents lie and tell shorter goddamn stories that aren’t artificially inflated by mystery boxes.

I loved Lost but goddamn I wish it didn’t give JJ and his crew as much influence as it did in the industry.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
this episode kinda felt like it was meant to be the finale, until they were like "oh wait theres a bunch of other stuff we need to do?"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

ok i think im done with S3 also RIP T'Veen

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiberius Christ posted:

ok i think im done with S3 also RIP T'Veen

That "Congrats to [character who was brutally murdered this episode with zero lines of dialog] for being a vital and well-rounded member of the Picard Season 3 team!" tweet from like literally a couple of days ago aged INSANELY poorly :newlol:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Just reading the reactions its funny there's no mention of Picard lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Picard spent 99% of the episode telling a 74 year old doctor to hack the mainframe.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...and you guys are saying that it's in the NEXT two eps where things get REALLY stupid?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Just reading the reactions its funny there's no mention of Picard lol

He tried to do An Admiral Thing, failed immediately, and then the rest of the 50 minute episode run time was dedicated to Jack, Vadic, Data, Troi and Riker, and then Seven in that order of diminishing importance. Oh and Shaw was there too for like a minute to show that the last 7 and a half episodes of character development just kind of washed off him like water off a duck's back.

This show kind of has the Book of Boba Fett problem where it eventually became The Book of Everyone But Boba Fett by the time it was over. This is kind of Star Trek: Everyone But Picard right now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AceOfFlames posted:

...and you guys are saying that it's in the NEXT two eps where things get REALLY stupid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cia_v4vxfE

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I definitely ended the episode saying "gently caress you!" twice, out loud, at the loving show.

How many seasons have they done secret mind poo poo hidden behind a door? And after last week's "time to find out who you really are," for them to hold off until (at least) next week for their stupid reveal is nothing but contempt for their audience.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ashpanash posted:

I definitely ended the episode saying "gently caress you!" twice, out loud, at the loving show.

How many seasons have they done secret mind poo poo hidden behind a door? And after last week's "time to find out who you really are," for them to hold off until (at least) next week for their stupid reveal is nothing but contempt for their audience.

I spent that whole episode going "So... Vadic... You gonna drop that truth bomb yet, or just keep going on rhetorical tangents? ...Any time now? ...You gonna-- Oh I guess she died then."

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Does anybody else in this thread read the long-running webcomic Order of the Stick? I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really kept expecting Vadic to just recombine and goo off to be seen later in the finale, but uhhhh I guess she’s just done? Seems like a waste.

What’s also funny is that she’d have been genuinely threatening and cruel if she’d actually gone through with killing the father and the crying ensign instead of swerving at the last second to vaporize the Vulcan that the episode spent zero time making the audience sympathetic towards.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've been telling y'all...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

I've been telling y'all...

I never doubted you for a second and yet each episode keeps surprising me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Does anybody else in this thread read the long-running webcomic Order of the Stick? I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

Let me guess:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

AceOfFlames posted:

Let me guess:

Yknow, I was actually thinking about this

but I like yours better so never mind.

I knew the Data/Lore scene reminded me of something but it took me a few hours to finally figure it out.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
immediately thought "hey hey hey. don't... jerk me around, fella"

e: admittedly this might because data says "we are me", to which i incredulously said "i'm me?"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 6, 2023

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I also think the Vadic death scene was super lazy. Freezing in space, then shattering? Super dumb, plus she's a loving changeling. We've seen her turn to goo and we saw her in a flashback extend her body into a spike think to kill her abuser, right?

Here, I'll rewrite the Vadic death scene. I'm not saying this is brilliant or anything but it's better than what we got, off the top of my head:

---

The port behind the viewscreen opens, and the changeling birds, being close to it, are immediately blown out. Vadic is closer to the center of the room, and this gives her an instant of time to react. As she is almost blown out, she reaches out with her arms, which morph into squid-like appendages and wrap around one of the forward consoles. She stares at Jack and Seven, full of anger, but with a slowly evolving smirk. She's been in worse situations before; she can get out of this.

Seven, however, is also developing a smirk.

SEVEN
Computer, emergency override: release ops console.

We cut to Vadic eyes, growing as wide as they can. Then a shot of the console detaching from its base. Finally we see Vadic, squid arms still attached to the console, blown out of the bridge and into space. The viewscreen closes. Seven approaches the tactical station.

JACK
What are you doing?

SEVEN
Ending this.

Seven presses a few buttons. Cut to a view of the top of the Titan's saucer, its phaser strip starting to glow brightly.

Cut to a view from slightly behind Vadic in space, still attached to the console. 500 meters behind her the Titan looms large, and suddenly a vast, large red phaser beam, its width absurdly large compared to Vadic's size, completely envelops Vadic, vaporizing her instantly.

---

All I'm really saying is, this was your major threat, right? Don't take her out like a dumb chump.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i just went back to see the dialogue in that scene, he says "we are me" actually

also it really looks like spiner is wearing a tracksuit lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
vadic was revealing mystery box secrets at an unsustainable pace. she had to go

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also god, Spiner, Frakes and Sirtis totally carried this episode with their acting.

Data's little "I feel...? I... feel." to Geordi was just :discourse:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
At the risk of giving this show's writing any amount of credit, I really did enjoy the delivery in the "loving solids." line. Amanda Plummer's talent is really the only thing that even came close to making Vadic watchable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ashpanash posted:

I also think the Vadic death scene was super lazy. Freezing in space, then shattering? Super dumb, plus she's a loving changeling. We've seen her turn to goo and we saw her in a flashback extend her body into a spike think to kill her abuser, right?

Here, I'll rewrite the Vadic death scene. I'm not saying this is brilliant or anything but it's better than what we got, off the top of my head:

---

The port behind the viewscreen opens, and the changeling birds, being close to it, are immediately blown out. Vadic is closer to the center of the room, and this gives her an instant of time to react. As she is almost blown out, she reaches out with her arms, which morph into squid-like appendages and wrap around one of the forward consoles. She stares at Jack and Seven, full of anger, but with a slowly evolving smirk. She's been in worse situations before; she can get out of this.

Seven, however, is also developing a smirk.

SEVEN
Computer, emergency override: release ops console.

We cut to Vadic eyes, growing as wide as they can. Then a shot of the console detaching from its base. Finally we see Vadic, squid arms still attached to the console, blown out of the bridge and into space. The viewscreen closes. Seven approaches the tactical station.

JACK
What are you doing?

SEVEN
Ending this.

Seven presses a few buttons. Cut to a view of the top of the Titan's saucer, its phaser strip starting to glow brightly.

Cut to a view from slightly behind Vadic in space, still attached to the console. 500 meters behind her the Titan looms large, and suddenly a vast, large red phaser beam, its width absurdly large compared to Vadic's size, completely envelops Vadic, vaporizing her instantly.

---

All I'm really saying is, this was your major threat, right? Don't take her out like a dumb chump.

Yeah this is already a better scene, if only because it remembered Vadic was a changeling who could do poo poo like that.

Plummer’s performance was fun at times and I don’t doubt she’d have killed it with a better script, but the writing was just so lazy and so generic and they really wasted an opportunity with her.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Its like if TNG Worf were a starship.

"I know 800 different to ways to kill a man before he can even react. Do not test me." [Has a rock thrown at it and then dies]

"THIS SHIP IS ARMED WITH EVERY WEAPON KNOWN TO STARFLEET AND THE OTHER ALPHA QUADRANT POWERS"

"Oh yeah? What If I do this?!" :smug:

I don't mind Riker getting one over on super ship tactically in the Nebula: TNG almost always shows that Riker is a gifted tactican in space combat (with the exception of Insurrection and Generations, but movie TNG characters are like parodies of themselves)

The Shrike did seem like a huge waste of time though

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My Second Re-Reg posted:

At the risk of giving this show's writing any amount of credit, I really did enjoy the delivery in the "loving solids." line. Amanda Plummer's talent is really the only thing that even came close to making Vadic watchable.

Watch now Terry's gonna reveal that she was the Female Changeling from DS9 all along and that one line right before she ate poo poo was somehow supposed to be your only clue that it was her.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
This show is pathologically incapable of "show don't tell".

*Jack steps out of the turbolift and holds up an unknown device*

Computer: "Unknown device detected."

Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This show is pathologically incapable of "show don't tell".

*Jack steps out of the turbolift and holds up an unknown device*

Computer: "Unknown device detected."

Are you loving kidding me with this poo poo.

“Turbolift activated” drove me insane.

Just have them turn around when they hear the doors hiss open!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

He tried to do An Admiral Thing, failed immediately, and then the rest of the 50 minute episode run time was dedicated to Jack, Vadic, Data, Troi and Riker, and then Seven in that order of diminishing importance. Oh and Shaw was there too for like a minute to show that the last 7 and a half episodes of character development just kind of washed off him like water off a duck's back.

This show kind of has the Book of Boba Fett problem where it eventually became The Book of Everyone But Boba Fett by the time it was over. This is kind of Star Trek: Everyone But Picard right now.

Jack Crusher is boring, Vadic was loving nothing

Why are they in this story?

Make it about Lore vs the TNG cast, why even have the Dominion subplot (main plot? I have no loving clue)

It's incredibly bizarre. Like someone else said, this feels like a finale, because Data, a beloved TNG character, finally defeated Lore, a TNG villain, and then the Changelings and ScaryMcspookyface and Jack Crusher are here too I guess?

loving why :psyboom:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2023

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
show bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Turbolift activated” drove me insane.

Just have them turn around when they hear the doors hiss open!

God, what if that's just like a toggle you can switch on and off from the captain's chair? The Turbolift Activity Log Vocalizer toggle. You just push one button and suddenly every time anyone uses the turbolift the computer announces to the whole bridge "TURBOLIFT ACTIVATED!"