Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hearing Jake try to roast Linux for living in his girlfriends parents house is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffH3LROFZY&t=817s

I'm leaving that typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hearing Jake try to roast Linux for living in his girlfriends parents house is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffH3LROFZY&t=817s

I'm leaving that typo

Yvonne's parents are saints

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQg2N1uoaY

Video is great

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Hah I haven't watched an LTT video in a while but that was well done.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow. I just got an ad on Gmail about the Linus Tech Tips Store.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

GN's got a new project/deskmat out, looks good

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1642926883569319936

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1642933353048424451

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
GN knows its audience and make products for them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Re: GN Steve's rant about debug displays, der8auer visits German server provider Hetzner and discovers that even on the cut-down custom boards with every frill removed they still didn't skimp on the debug code display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2P8mjWRqpk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if they "make" them, I've had a smaller one of these for years, there's like a billion versions on aliexpress

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know if they "make" them, I've had a smaller one of these for years, there's like a billion versions on aliexpress

I’m sure GN bought a bunch of these, found the factory of the one they liked best and then sent the CAD model for the design they wanted.

The GN one seems like a pretty unique layout, though I haven’t looked at a ton.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GN says they've been using the solder mat internally for a while so it was probably made more for their own specs and then just sold because why not.

I'm surprised they do that much soldering, though I don't watch every single one of their videos so I guess I wouldn't know. Modern computers aren't very friendly to hand soldering repairs in any case.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Might be for shunt modding etc to support Steve’s XOC hobby.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

GN says they've been using the solder mat internally for a while so it was probably made more for their own specs and then just sold because why not.

I'm surprised they do that much soldering, though I don't watch every single one of their videos so I guess I wouldn't know. Modern computers aren't very friendly to hand soldering repairs in any case.

All those sensors they put everywhere often require some soldering to get the right connections.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Re: GN Steve's rant about debug displays, der8auer visits German server provider Hetzner and discovers that even on the cut-down custom boards with every frill removed they still didn't skimp on the debug code display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2P8mjWRqpk
I wish every single motherboard manufacturer would adopt the 90° rotation found on workstation and server boards.

It's much easier to cool when all the air is going through the case in the same direction.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BattleMaster posted:

even laptop and phone repair shops don't really use irons anymore

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

90% of soldering iron sales these days are probably to retro game console modders.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

or people who watched a northridge fix video and thought hey, that seems easy

it seems like 80% of their repairs now are from people who tried to do their own repairs and failed

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

or people who watched a northridge fix video and thought hey, that seems easy

it seems like 80% of their repairs now are from people who tried to do their own repairs and failed

one of the memes among mobo repair videos in china is "faulty mobo? just replace the southbridge first before fixing anything else"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m a hardware engineer and I really hate soldering, especially fiddly poo poo like 0402s or even worse 0201s. I get the lab techs to do it because they’re actually good at that!

Honestly thank christ for bgas because now we can’t rework those by hand, having done qfps before that poo poo sucked as well.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

njsykora posted:

90% of soldering iron sales these days are probably to retro game console modders.

Even though there are quick connects technically, most guitar upgrades (pickups, jacks, etc.) require soldering. But I leave it to the pros.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

I’m a hardware engineer and I really hate soldering, especially fiddly poo poo like 0402s or even worse 0201s. I get the lab techs to do it because they’re actually good at that!

Honestly thank christ for bgas because now we can’t rework those by hand, having done qfps before that poo poo sucked as well.

Did you see that GN last days of EVGA video?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

No what were they doing to bgas? I mean you can pop them off with a hot air gun and reflow one in a toaster oven if you really want but paying an assembly house to do it will get wayyyy better results.

TRAINS
Feb 13, 2023

by vyelkin

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Even though there are quick connects technically, most guitar upgrades (pickups, jacks, etc.) require soldering. But I leave it to the pros.

I learned how to solder by building guitar pedals. Soldering is fun once you get the hang of it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

or DOSdude1 making wild upgrades to old Macs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ll-2Tl3iyg

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I love it when Linus collabs with Electroboom :byoscience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ugJ1BJx0HE

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 8, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if Linus isn’t grabbing the Jacobs ladder I’m not interested

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wireless ESD straps?? how could that possibly be a thing lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

Wireless ESD straps?? how could that possibly be a thing lol

You let the static build up until your are eventually grounded by a lighting strike.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You let the static build up until your are eventually grounded by a lighting strike.

electroboom's greatest triumph!

I worked at a place where heel straps were used and everyone ALWAYS forgot to take them off when they left, lol

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Hell yeah this owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r03mcCLQI4

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I've never seen GN change the title/thumbnail at least three times in as many hours before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

power crystals posted:

I've never seen GN change the title/thumbnail at least three times in as many hours before.

They do it occasionally. I’ve seen it in a lot of channels. I’m not sure if it’s sometimes at the algorithm’s behest.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it was probably underperforming relative to their typical video. wonder what the other ones looked like, because this one isn't exactly the most exhilarating

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rinkles posted:

They do it occasionally. I’ve seen it in a lot of channels. I’m not sure if it’s sometimes at the algorithm’s behest.

I've seen it happen before, just not that fast. I know LTT has said they do it for algorithm reasons but I have no idea what those reasons are.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
IIRC, it's mainly trying to figure out which title/thumbnail gets the most clicks from non-subscirbers. The algorithm really likes it when people click videos in the recommended list and pushes it to more people if it gets lots of clicks there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There seems to be a general trend among lots of YouTubers where the title+thumbnail changes, and it makes a lot of sense that it's because people are trying to optimize for the algorithm.

It's also a sign that YouTube needs to be vacated promptly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I always assumed title and thumbnail changes for popular channels was some form of A-B testing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I always assumed title and thumbnail changes for popular channels was some form of A-B testing.
I mean, it makes sense - I just never really thought about it, because I struggle to remember if I saw something change or not (due to chemobrain).

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

power crystals posted:

youtube allows you to upload multiple thumbnails then which ever one does best youtube picks as the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rinkles posted:

Here's a pretty thorough deep dive into it and why they do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xHZPH5Sng&t=1037s