Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1643524273032527873
Terrorist Girkin says that the fighting stalled out again in Bakhmut and Avdiivka. He also bitterly adds that they couldn't even hold their positions in Mar'inka.

Xeno's Bakhmut offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Poland says they've got another six Mig-29s ready to hand over:

https://www.euronews.com/2023/04/05/poland-pledges-additional-mig-29-fighter-jets-to-ukraine

Counterattack in Avdiivka was successful

https://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-forces-mount-successful-counteroffensive-081607086.html

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

From Yle again.

Journalist: Tulikukka de Fresnes
Link: https://yle.fi/a/74-20026047

Yle posted:

Nato's effects in Finland: Lapland as an exercise site is facing backlogs

In Nato's Finland all military bases would de facto be Nato bases. Building new bases won't be relevant at least for a couple of years, says Matti Pesu from the Institute of International Affairs.

From Nato's perspective the most interesting areas are remote locations with plenty of space, for instance Lapland's Rovajärvi.

Our upcoming Parliament will be outlining in its manifesto and reports their vision of what kind of Nato member Finland will be, and what we will be expecting from Nato. In Yle's pre-election polling most of the parties support a permanent Nato base in Finland.

By far the biggest supporters are the National Coalition and Movement Now (ed: one of our right wing small parties). The Central Party, the Finnish Social Democratic Party, The Swedish People's Party and Christian Democrats don't overrule a base, if it was shown to be beneficial and the opportunity presented itself.

True Finns (ed: our real right wing cranks), the Left Alliance and the Green Party don't want a permanent Nato base in Finland.

A Nato membership would in all likelihood mean sending troops to Baltic countries, and participating in aerial surveillance.

Battlegroups in Estonia and seven other countries

In actuality experts consider it unlikely that Finland would be offered a permanent new Nato base. No such bases have been founded since the Cold War ended. Matti Pesu, a lead researcher at the Institute of International Affairs, clarifies that after joining Nato, all Finnish bases will de facto be "Nato bases", at least from a certain perspective.

If Finland wants more Nato infrastructure and presence, according to Pesu that would mostly mean Nato's EFP, or Enhanced Forward Presence, troops. They are also called Nato battlegroups.

- If Finland feels that a battlegroup in Finland is an immediate goal of our Nato policy, it would be a big thing that would require a massive effort in Nato's infrastructure.

The decision might be relevant at Nato summits earliest in a couple of years, Pesu says.

- It will definitely not be decided in the upcoming summit, and probably not even the one after that. We're talking of a time window at least 2-4 years in the future.

Temporary in name, but practically present for a long period of time, EFP troops are located in eight countries, and their makeup varies from country to country. The closest is in Estonia, where a group led by Great Britain resides.

A small general staff for Nato -- or for the United States?

Despite this, Finland might get a small dedicated Nato general staff, which would be designed to lead troops, says security researcher Juha Pyykönen, brigadier general, evp (ed: evp, or "not in regular service", is a designation for a Finnish officer who has held an active rank but is currently either temporarily or permanently retired from active service).

In practise this would mean an office that would design, monitor and control a Nato garrison and troops.

- It would mean a couple dozen people, who would be tasked with integrating Finland's defensive structures into Nato, Pyykönen says.

These kinds of small general staffs can be found in Nato's eastern member countries. For such a small group it is doubtful whether anything new would be built, and it is likelier that the general staff would be integrated into an existing Finnish general staff.

Pesu reminds that Finland and the United States are currently discussing bilateral defence co-operation. Depending on the outcome it is possible that Finnish military bases would reserve areas for American troops and equipment. This is how the United States have functioned in Europe previously.

- We could for instance consider storing American military material and talent in bases in advance, just in case they're needed later, Pesu describes.

Lapland's Rovajärvi is appealing

Training together with Nato on land, sea and air will in any case be the new normal. International soldiers and vessels have participated in Finnish exercises even during our application process.

The tougher our security situation will be, the longer these exercises can become.

- If the relationships between Nato and Russia are tight, it will also be reflected in Finland hosting more exercises, soldiers, ships and planes, says Pyykönen.

These exercises will not be visible in cities, as the big Finnish trump card is space. Space can be found for instance in Lapland. According to Pyykönen Rovajärvi is our most interesting exercise area for Nato.

- There's plenty of room, we can fit in a bunch of troops, and it won't bother civilians. Our allies love training in the north.

For Finnish conscripts our Nato membership probably won't have any meaningful effect. The Finnish Defence Force has been fitting its tasks into Nato's patterns for 30 years, because Finland has been a peacetime partner with Nato.

New roads, harbors and cell towers

Communication with our allies will require improving physical connections with Sweden, Norway and our othre western allies, says Pyykönen. This will mean new roads as well as improving ports, airports and highways.

- Our communication networks also need strengthening, as do our command structures. In practise this means the same kinds of cellular masts as on the civilian side, Pyykönen describes.

People closer to the eastern border have already been excited about the possibility of Nato increasing the value of their land.

Trying to predict the future is a risk, but Pyykönen says that many types of infrastructure projects might very well increase the visibility of small towns and counties.

There is no logical basis for bringing nuclear weapons to Finland, Pyykönen says. Finland did not make any kind of concrete decision in its Nato application on hosting nuclear weapons. According to Pyykönen this is not on the cards, as there is no logical basis for it.

- There's no military logic in bringing nuclear weapons to Finland, because they would be far too close to Russia's border. They need to be further away to be usable. The same applies to military bases, and for that reason I don't think we'll get those eithre.

Five Nato countries have nuclear weapons. As an outsider Finland has not had access to information on the topic, and therefore no institutional knowledge of nuclear weapons.

- Nuclear weapons are in five countries and six bases, in old member countries. I doubt there's any intention of spreading them to new members, Pyykönen ponders.

After the cold war ended 14 countries have joined Nato. None of them have had permanent bases built, nor has there been any talk of placing nuclear weapons in them.

Rovajärvi is a huge military training area in Lapland. It's where we hold our biggest military exercises and for instance our field artillery holds massive firing exercises there twice a year. Those exercises are notorious among conscripts in the Artillery Brigade and other units, because being in Lapland for two weeks is both exhilarating and extremely tiring. During the winter you get a couple of hours of sunlight a day, it's cold as hell and you're in the middle of nowhere. In summer the sun never sets, it's hot and there are billions of mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. I've been to Rovajärvi three times (twice as a conscript and once as a reservists) and it's an experience. But it's also a pretty unique place.

Scenic Rovajärvi

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Good to see that Finland is getting all its ducks in a row after acquiring NATO membership. In any case, they're under no immediate threat militarily that isn't hot air spewed by propagandists, so may as well take the time to do the jobs needed and build the infrastructure properly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean NATO requires you to have no territorial disputes before you can join. Only way they could is to officially cede all occupied territory to russia, or, remove russian forces from their borders. It's one of the reasons the russian "seperatists" are parked in Georgia.

the "will" in "Ukraine will become a NATO member" is doing a whole lot of work there.

It's also something that he cannot actually promise, but let's take it as a statement of intention and thus a good thing

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

From Yle again.

Scenic Rovajärvi

ooo purdy

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

jumbled letters into google translate: Fire flower de Fresnes

that's a real name alright :v:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
This would just be ordinary Russian BS I guess but it's at least a little interesting because the plane in question is a Foxbat....

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1643733388031918080

Not THAT Foxbat though... this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroprakt_A-22_Foxbat

quote:

The Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat is a Ukrainian two-seat, high-wing, tricycle landing gear ultralight aircraft that was designed by Yuri Yakovlev and is manufactured by Aeroprakt. In the United States the A-22 is referred to as the Valor, while in the UK and Australia it is called the Foxbat.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

From Yle again.

Link: https://yle.fi/a/74-20026047

With the question of new bases it bears to remember that FDF has just recently closed at least 5 bases near the Russian border so its just a matter of which one to take back to use since they haven't been sold off yet. So if they reactivate something its most likely going to be North Karelia Brigade near Joensuu, but could also be Savonia Brigade in Mikkeli or Kymi Brigade in Hamina.

Although the last two bases are still in other use.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/a_anusauskas/status/1643630840654561289
Lithuania announced a 41 million euro support package.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1643900774798315520
:laffo:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Toblerones looking mighty crumbly

Average plaster garden gnome seems more resilient

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
They’re already falling apart just by sitting there. :psyduck:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These are Dragon's Teeth from the Siegfried line, put down sometime between 1939 and 1945.

Compare and contrast with the poo poo the Russians plopped down a few months ago.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Scenic Rovajärvi

I have a desperate need to go backpacking in Finland after seeing this one image.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Most of those Russian ones are also hollow with the loop still attached and not in any way buried or fixed to the ground, so its trivial to push or pull them away with any 4x4 vehicle.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Too much sand in the mix. Why use the correct amount of sand when you could double it and sell off excess material?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have a desperate need to go backpacking in Finland after seeing this one image.

Backpacking in Lapland is a wonderful experience, probably (it's fun even when you're doing it on the FDF's dime, probably a lot better when you can make your own schedule). They also have cool special things like a cabin hotel where all the cabins have glass dome ceilings so you can lie in bed and watch the Northern Lights.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

Most of those Russian ones are also hollow with the loop still attached and not in any way buried or fixed to the ground, so its trivial to push or pull them away with any 4x4 vehicle.

There were also a couple of vids that emerged last year of a Ukrainian squad in their IFV and Humvee just climbing over them or pushing past them with no effort, these are basically completely useless.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Backpacking in Lapland is a wonderful experience, probably (it's fun even when you're doing it on the FDF's dime, probably a lot better when you can make your own schedule). They also have cool special things like a cabin hotel where all the cabins have glass dome ceilings so you can lie in bed and watch the Northern Lights.

wonder if Finns steam a good ham

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

wonder if Finns steam a good ham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIVUp1o34V0&t=316s

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Please don't post crimes against humanity without NMS tags

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1643614498807324674

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Russian cope cones are a secret psyop. They arent stopping poo poo so the only thing they are useful for is geolocating a position even easier than before and so must actually be aimed at making down looking recon nerds frown because they can't even be bothered to drop them in straight lines.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cooking with hoarders knows no borders.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If we can ever be so lucky one day we'll get footage of an Abrams driving over these and turning them into fine powder. Hell if they're even shoddier than they look maybe a BMP or other IFV would do the trick.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

The_Franz posted:

Cooking with hoarders knows no borders.

The guy tried to get into parliament in recent elections. His meme status even got him about 500 votes, a relatively respectable amount. I do wonder how good of a defense minister he would have made. All of FDF warehouses would probably be stocked full of old cosmoline soaked T-72s, Saab Drakens and MIGs.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Pretty sure i would just lie there and cry with emotion for a few hours and wake up as calm as a still sea in the morning.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
If the russians were competent or thoughtful, I'd expect the markings on the krokodil teeth to be used for internally keeping track of which ones are mined. But it's probably being done that way because somebody got caught delivering pictures depicting the same handful of teeth covering miles of ground as part of a grift.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It would appear the counteroffensive in Adviika was successful in some of the pressure on the North East has been relieved.

I saw another few reports that Vuhledar has been evacuated by the Russians but I don't have any confirmation of that at this time and I can't find any sources that aren't like a month old. The truthfully Russia cannot stand against the Ukrainian military once they go on the offensive. I mean we're talking like a day to shatter a unit and cause a retreat which is pretty pretty drat good

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Apart from all the battlefield and logsitics issues I've got to imagine Russian morale is loving horrible. I expect many units are basically waiting for an excuse to retreat.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It would appear the counteroffensive in Adviika was successful in some of the pressure on the North East has been relieved.

I saw another few reports that Vuhledar has been evacuated by the Russians but I don't have any confirmation of that at this time and I can't find any sources that aren't like a month old. The truthfully Russia cannot stand against the Ukrainian military once they go on the offensive. I mean we're talking like a day to shatter a unit and cause a retreat which is pretty pretty drat good

A recent intercepted phone call from around Avdiivka which I posted yesterday in the thread basically mentioned that virtually all the heavy equipment of the forces that were attacking it, tanks, APCs, and artillery/heavy weapons systems, was damaged and put out of action or destroyed. So the two mobiks in the conversation were complaining about being sent to assault dug in positions with no fire support as a result.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

On behalf of the other nato member in the region, North Norway is also quite striking - similar terrain, but with a coast. You can even do both, there are apparently a few buses between Finnmark and Lappland.

I did not go up there while in the army, though; I stayed around Oslo. A friend of mine was a border guard (on the Russian border, not the Finnish one), and apart from the mosquitoes he has talked fondly about the landscape.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That video is like Finnish masaokis

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

On behalf of the other nato member in the region, North Norway is also quite striking - similar terrain, but with a coast. You can even do both, there are apparently a few buses between Finnmark and Lappland.

I did not go up there while in the army, though; I stayed around Oslo. A friend of mine was a border guard (on the Russian border, not the Finnish one), and apart from the mosquitoes he has talked fondly about the landscape.
What's a good time for this? Haven't been further north than Trollhättan (which isn't much) but I've been meaning to make a trip to Lapland or Tromsø or ideally both at some point. Winter is cool what with the snow and reindeer and northern lights but no idea if it's conductive for general exploration and hiking and what not.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mobby_6kl posted:

What's a good time for this? Haven't been further north than Trollhättan (which isn't much) but I've been meaning to make a trip to Lapland or Tromsø or ideally both at some point. Winter is cool what with the snow and reindeer and northern lights but no idea if it's conductive for general exploration and hiking and what not.

Please don't go hiking in winter anywhere near Tromsø unless you are very good at cross country skiing, arctic survival and avalanche preparedness. That loving countryside kills a lot of people in winter and is really easy to underestimate. Other that that, the general region is gorgeous and wonderful and I love Tromsø.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

That video is like Finnish masaokis

Every now and then I remember "Omelet for Obama" and start wheezing at the idea of how Masaokis tried softening egg shells with a whisk but set his kitchen alight instead.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Every now and then I remember "Omelet for Obama" and start wheezing at the idea of how Masaokis tried softening egg shells with a whisk but set his kitchen alight instead.

Don't forget, he thought egg shells were the egg whites because they're white. That always gets me. Masaokis is truly a treasure.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tarkus posted:

Don't forget, he thought egg shells were the egg whites because they're white. That always gets me. Masaokis is truly a treasure.

:bighow:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tarkus posted:

There's also the time he tried melting bananas.

lmao it's true though!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You'll get to go drink with Royal Marines if you go to Tromso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I wonder what TobleroneTriangular is up to these days.