Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Kins posted:

It's just kinda funny how they don't even try and dress it up in some makes-sense-in-universe way, it's literally just "These blocks have powerups, they give you powers and you'll lose them if you get hit." Kinda jarring, I guess? But it gets out of the way quickly enough.

Why do people care about this lol, its just how the world works, magic did it. I dont even wanna see the movie but this is such a limpdick criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why do people care about this lol, its just how the world works, magic did it. I dont even wanna see the movie but this is such a limpdick criticism

magic can have rules and structure and functional in logically if physically-impossible way and that point seems disconnected from your plea to just not care about it at all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Khanstant posted:

magic can have rules and structure and functional in logically if physically-impossible way and that point seems disconnected from your plea to just not care about it at all

It can also just be magic. Like there doesnt need to be rules and i think mario is the game series where "its just magic" is like the entire logic of the series

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There are like a billion mario games and none of them explain anything. Why does the movie need to be different

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In the video games: Mario breaks blocks, gets mushroom, and gets big: Huh, neat.

In the movies: Mario breaks blocks, gets mushroom, and gets big. BUT WHY THOUGH?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The events in Mario games are canonically a play being put on by the characters and I don't see why the movie should be any different. Based on this I believe any bizarre logic is just the director, or possibly even the actors, improvising.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"film" and "video game" have completely different artistic conventions op. this is like asking why it would be silly for a character on a serious crime drama to sing before getting stabbed to death when that happens all the time in an opera, and also it's a CGI animated kids movie by a mediocre studio

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
do they address the blocks being toads?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

wizard2 posted:

Mario by way of Max Headroom should be a fun time but hearing how utterly miserable Hoskins and Leguizamo were on set spoils it for me (and I think it shows in their performances)

Also constantly high, apparently:

AV Club posted:

And it’s all true: Cast member (and character actor royalty) Richard Edson notes that weed was also fairly ubiquitous behind the scenes. “We would hang out a lot and get stoned,” he says. “Bob [Hoskins] would never hang out – he had a mansion somewhere down the beach. But then one night, we were talking about getting high and Bob was like, ‘You guys have pot? You’ve been smoking reefer?’ And we were like, ‘Yeah’, and he yelled, ‘Why didn’t you tell me?! I’ve been sitting alone in my mansion!’ We really looked up to him.”

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The actors of these movies must have been on freaking drugs

:colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dennis Hopper seemed like the only person in that movie who was actually having fun

rox
Sep 7, 2016

mario bros '93 is goated

rox
Sep 7, 2016

rip bob hoskins and dennis hopper

legends

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mister Facetious posted:

how could it possibly be jarring when it's how the games are played

Games and films are different OP

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just played Digimon Survive for twenty minutes. It's got a more mature theme than Cybersleuth. The fact that they're camping out at an abandoned school makes it feel like this is going to be a ghost story but with digimon somehow?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i loved the vibe and some of the storytelling of Survive but i just found the tactical combat really dull

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Games and films are different OP

It's being true to the source material. :colbert:

A film is just a really long video game cutscene.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

how could it possibly be jarring when it's how the games are played

u don’t play a movie

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
As long as Capcom is remastering bangers from the GameCube era maybe they could take a swing at Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haha what posted:

mario bros '93 is goated

this

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Mario 93 is not a particularly well made movie, but it sure is entertaining to watch.

Where as Mario 2023 may be a well made movie, but it is boring and uninspired.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario 93 is quite well made, it is full of excellent set design and costume effects, with a great Silvestri soundtrack, and generally like distinctive and great

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario 93 is quite well made, it is full of excellent set design and costume effects, with a great Silvestri soundtrack, and generally like distinctive and great

yeah, the costuming and set design is peak 90s Cyberpunk look. cant deny that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

External Organs posted:

As long as Capcom is remastering bangers from the GameCube era maybe they could take a swing at Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Product No. 3 will finally get its day in the sun!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I would love to play Viewtiful Joe! Port that!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Product No. 3 will finally get its day in the sun!!

The OST for that game was so good, I think I'm gonna listen to it right now. :kiddo:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The live action Mario movie is amazing, just that even exists as a nightmare cyberpunk Mario movie.

The 90's were just the wild west when it came to video games adaptions. The movie studios & license holders just did not give a gently caress about the IP's & it ruled.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Is animal crossing worth a full price cop ?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you are too stupid to play it op, sorry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the bob hoskins mario film is FTW

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

haha what posted:

mario bros '93 is goated

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you are too stupid to play it op, sorry

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Augus posted:

u don’t play a movie

:colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haha what posted:

mario bros '93 is goated

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Augus posted:

u don’t play a movie

I've got an SMS from Kojima here, it just says the following

"you idiot, you fuckin' dolt"

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ll have to remember to press the play button when I see the Mario movie in a theater

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BigDumper posted:

I’ll have to remember to press the play button when I see the Mario movie in a theater

The movie says you have to press start to play but if you press the A button it still starts.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Mario 93 is not a particularly well made movie, but it sure is entertaining to watch.

Where as Mario 2023 may be a well made movie, but it is boring and uninspired.

Ah, a Star Wars prequels vs sequels situation

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The movie says you have to press start to play but if you press the A button it still starts.

:hmmyes:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I suspect that line explaining how power-ups work is a couple of test audiences wrote about how they were confused. Probably they’ve been living under a rock for the last 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean I liked the new movie fine but it will never inspire anything as fun as this

https://twitter.com/AttractMode/status/1578475307249856513?t=S_ZtjM1B2ewE3EHd7O3T_g&s=19