Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Those 1 page of notes allowed tests were very popular where I went to college.
Common enough that most of those pages were 50% cutouts of older pages from the prerequisite courses that got optically zoomed or cropped on a photocopier. All the way down, until you get that one prof that insisted on handwritten notes.
And there was always one nerd who tried to typeset his note sheet using tex or something, and spent much too long on it.

Some of the tests allowed (additionally or alternatively) an usual unanotated maths reference book. Do people still do that?
Funnily, once I got to grad school and actually used the book for something useful I started adding some notes, and had to buy a new one for some test.

VictualSquid has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

wa27 posted:

Just this week I dug out my TI-84 from 2005 and gave it to a 16 year old because their high school required a TI-84 and all the stores here were sold out. Looks like you can still sell them all day on ebay for $40. I mean good on TI for keeping a standard for school calculators, but at this point all the kids have Chromebooks. Surely there is a graphing web app or something that these could be replaced with.

Once I got to college I found a TI-89 at a thrift store and it was a revelation because it could differentiate.

Desmos is good for this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Explosionface posted:

My mom broke out my dad's old calculator and asked if I wanted it, assuming I just wanted to throw it in the trash.

I of course opted to keep it. He was so proud of his HP calculator he would never leave it at work, opting instead to bring it home so nobody could steal it from him.

Now I just need to learn RPN so I can actually use the thing.
I have somewhat more old RPN calculators than I need. I've posted this group shot in the thread before, but clockwise from the upper left it's a 11C, a 16C, the re-release of the 15C, and an original 15C.

Handheld calculators in general are obsolete, but whenever I have to do any random one-off calculations I'm nowhere near as fast using a phone or computer as I used to be using a HP-15C.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Got a working VIC-20 that doesn't smell of mold, and I gotta say the Penultimate Cartridge+ is pretty much a must buy. Except I already bought one. I don't see myself needing the Datasette much since it (the cartridge) comes with so many games.

Man Pentagorat is impressive, but then it takes all the expanded memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xs4w4kG1Tw

... solstice

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Someone make an SSLP, videos are no good for showing off deep games.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Powered Descent posted:

It was common for teachers to come around the room before a test so they could see the "Mem cleared" screen on everyone's TI-81. So of course, people wrote programs that would draw a fake of that screen. But that was less common than you'd think, since the program essentially had to draw the letters pixel by pixel (you couldn't just print it as text because it had lower-case letters). So in addition to being a huge pain to figure out and type in, the program also took up a good chunk of memory, not leaving much for your cheat sheets. So lot of us only did it once, just to prove we could outsmart the teacher, and then never bothered again.

The current TI models now have a "test mode" that locks out that kind of stuff, and a very noticeable blinking light turns on so if you're walking around it is easy to see if test mode has been turned off.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SubG posted:

I have somewhat more old RPN calculators than I need. I've posted this group shot in the thread before, but clockwise from the upper left it's a 11C, a 16C, the re-release of the 15C, and an original 15C.

Handheld calculators in general are obsolete, but whenever I have to do any random one-off calculations I'm nowhere near as fast using a phone or computer as I used to be using a HP-15C.

Nice! After a little bit of time working with the manual, I'm starting to like RPN.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean my little guy up? Don't want to ruin any of the face, but the crusties all over are really bothering me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Table calculators are doing well, thanks to the fact that it's always 100% easier and faster to use them instead of calc.exe.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Table calculators are doing well, thanks to the fact that it's always 100% easier and faster to use them instead of calc.exe.

Until you don't use it for a few days and it gets buried under a stack of paper.
Finding it might be faster then calc.exe, but it is not faster then the table calculator emulator on my phone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

it is not faster then the table calculator emulator on my phone.

Literally anything is faster than that, what the loving heck? Like, Jordan Peterson is less slow than digging out your phone, unlocking it (which always takes 40 000 years), and opening the calculator app. Then it takes 40 000 000 years to press any key because you actually have to look at the thing since there's no actual keyboard for the calculator, with a home key.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Apr 6, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Literally anything is faster than that, what the loving heck? Like, Jordan Peterson is less slow than digging out your phone, unlocking it (which always takes 40 000 years), and opening the calculator app. Then it takes 40 000 000 years to press any key because you actually have to look at the thing since there's no actual keyboard for the calculator, with a home key.

My phone is generally lying on the desk next to my mousepad while I am working. Probably on top of the stack of papers that has buried my desk calc.
I suppose once you find your touch typing rhythm for your desk calc it becomes faster.
But for me my touch typing is too used to a full sized pc numpad and I need to look down on the desk calc, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

My phone is generally lying on the desk next to my mousepad while I am working. Probably on top of the stack of papers that has buried my desk calc.
I suppose once you find your touch typing rhythm for your desk calc it becomes faster.
But for me my touch typing is too used to a full sized pc numpad and I need to look down on the desk calc, too.

The keyboard on my calculator is just a bit larger than on my computer (which is a full-sized IBM). The phone is in my bag somewhere so I can plausibly say I didn't hear it if some fucko calls me.

Anyway, anyone have any idea what the heck these are?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The keyboard on my calculator is just a bit larger than on my computer (which is a full-sized IBM). The phone is in my bag somewhere so I can plausibly say I didn't hear it if some fucko calls me.

Anyway, anyone have any idea what the heck these are?

Looks like a logic analyser or a logic analyser probe. Or maybe a programmer. What does googling the serial number say? I can't really read it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Looks like a logic analyser or a logic analyser probe. Or maybe a programmer. What does googling the serial number say? I can't really read it.

Well neither can I, that's why I asked. It's weird that it doesn't actually say what it is, because I've seen Intel logic analyzer thingies that look very similar, and say they're logic analyzer thingies (which is why I know they are).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Do you have it in hand, or is that a photo from an auction?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Starting to think e-mail is an obsolete technology when trying to contact people under 30.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Do you have it in hand, or is that a photo from an auction?

Auction.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

It looks like they're part of an Intel in-circuit emulator, like this one:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RoastBeef posted:

Ah, so basically one could do gently caress-all with just those?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RoastBeef posted:

Fun to see a bunch of old poo poo and then a classic 6-pin molex smack in the middle. E: oh I zoomed in and it's a 9 pin thing. Neat!

Gonna plug that into my gpu and see how well it takes it.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Apr 6, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I'm super glad that after all these years computer power cables have mostly stayed the same.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That is because it's a standard IEC plug

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

They're still called 'kettle wires' by many people, even though most modern kettles are wireless and plug to a base.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

RoastBeef posted:

Wild

I have no idea if I’m right and can’t look it up right now but it may be like the Fluke 9010a Microsystem troubleshooter but only for Intel cpus

Replace the cup with that thing and it’ll bit bang all of the ROMs / RAM and confirm they are valid or show other problems with the address and data buses

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing you plug that into a cpu socket and it emulates the CPU for board testing or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Want.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

i would pay an unreasonable amount of money for this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lady Radia posted:

That's probably what the company expected when it was new, too

The handles on the sides look oddly familiar

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My back is aching just looking at this.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm probably old enough I can't actually hear that frequency any more but I can totally hear that distinctive CRT hum.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

drat imagine going triple monitor all in one device

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:eyepop:

Lady Radia posted:

:same:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Arrath posted:

I'm probably old enough I can't actually hear that frequency any more but I can totally hear that distinctive CRT hum.

I could always hear that too.
I remember walking in to a classroom one time and the tv was on, but there was no video playing so the screen was blank. Told the teacher the tv was on, he was all like "uhhhhh no its not" so I went over, hit the button, the screen flashed and went "power off" or something like that, and he seemed astounded that I knew it was on.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
I learned from a Tom Scott video that young youtube viewers encountering that sound for the first time hate it whereas to us old farts it's merely the sound of having a TV on :corsair:. Maybe it sounds worse after a round of youtube compression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5UiLYWdbM

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is that partly because, on average, most young people in general can hear a higher frequency range than older people? So it might part "old people like the sound, as far as they can remember what it was" but mostly "they literally can't hear the more annoying frequency."

I even remember hearing stores of some places (maybe part of Japan?) using basically "dog whistles" to deter teenagers/youths from certain areas? Because most popel over like 30 couldn't' register the sound.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I can still hear that frequency, to me it doesn’t sound any different over a youtube video than in person. I have to imagine a large part of it is familiarity with the sound.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think there's a different cultural context. Hearing that sound 30 years ago meant you were about to watch or play something so it was associated with something good while younger people these days have no association and are more likely to be hearing it over headphones so they get blasted by it and immediately think "wtf is that it hurts"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus gently caress 465€ for a 1084S. If I had an automobile I'd bid some more.

(They're nice.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm generating some tones using Audacity as an impromptu hearing test, out of curiosity and terror. I tried a YouTube hearing test (for entertainment purposes only), and here's their scale:

8000hz (everyone)
12000hz (under 50)
15000hz (under 40)
16000hz (under 30)
17000hz (under 24)
18000hz (under 24)
19000hz (under 20)

Now, I couldn't hear past 12000 on the YouTube video, but I got a nails-on-chalkboard response all the way up to 18000. 19000, nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think the tubes get noisier as they get older. I don't remember ever noticing it when I was a kid, but I've owned several terminals, monitors, and televisions which had pretty noticeable whines. I had an ADM3a from the late 70s with an absolutely horrendous whine (eyes watering after a minute or two, full-on headache after 10 minutes), but I've also got a B&W TV of a similar era that makes no whine at all. My VT220 makes a tiny bit of a whine but it's livable. No whine on the compact Macs or the Apple monitor on the Mac IIci.

I don't remember any noise on the 1084S I had, but then I gave it away a couple years ago along with the Amigas.