Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

App13 posted:

Re: credit card chat

I have the opportunity to buy an ATM for cheap. Like $200 cheap. I want to do it and document the reverse engineering and subsequent creation of a skimming device to present at some talks later on this year. 10-12 years ago I was suuuuuper into carding (academically of course, I’ve always been whitehat) and would love to dip a toe back in now that I’ve been into 3D printing and CNC milling for a few years.

Back then the MCR206 was the hotness for reader/writers and skimmers were only just starting to implement SIM cards to send data. Wonder how things have changed in 10 years

$200 to buy and then ten times that to ship it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

$200 to buy and then ten times that to ship it

Nah it’s local pickup, fits in my truck

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just wanted to say that selfhosted bitwarden can make home lab database crashes extra stressful 🤣

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I just wanted to say that selfhosted bitwarden can make home lab database crashes extra stressful 🤣

Had bitwarden for about a year, hosted locally, moved to 1Password. It was fine, but like you say, backups are even more essential now. To be honest I was fine with KeePass too, it was nothing to it, used it for years, but in an effort to bring my family to use a password manager rather than ... whatever they used before (nothing), I had to move to something more "friendly".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

Had bitwarden for about a year, hosted locally, moved to 1Password. It was fine, but like you say, backups are even more essential now. To be honest I was fine with KeePass too, it was nothing to it, used it for years, but in an effort to bring my family to use a password manager rather than ... whatever they used before (nothing), I had to move to something more "friendly".

My household is a bunch of nerds and having the shared org vaults is super useful, but expecting my mom to deal with the fact that we have about 1 nine of uptime is a hilarious thought.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

9% uptime?
:negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I thought the 9s were counted only after the decimal? This is very disturbing...

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

I thought the 9s were counted only after the decimal? This is very disturbing...

Nope, it’s 2 for 99%, 3 for 99.9% and so on. (1 9 would be 90%)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Let's be honest: There are some vendors where 9% uptime is closer to reality than 90% uptime.

Neither is really great.

Here's a simple web-based calculator: https://uptime.is/90

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I think that's an old IBM flex/marketing bit?

With the RAS features they have, it's kinda hard to compete.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Let's be honest: There are some vendors where 9% uptime is closer to reality than 90% uptime.

Neither is really great.

Here's a simple web-based calculator: https://uptime.is/90
Nowadays it's not as hard to achieve high availability on commodity hardware, especially if you're serving what's ultimately a HTTP endpoint using haproxy and the like.
And for everything else there's either CARP or pgpool.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its a home lab for my partner and me, between my system overengineering, and her network overengineering, it's pretty rare for us not to have something broken.

She randomly decided that our proxmox cluster would be better on ceph over the weekend, formatted all 3 nodes, and then set one up before passing out and not having the spoons to pick it up. Before that it was me trying to to live migrate from a local filesystem to iSCSI.

Its alot of fun, but we can't stop breaking things, and my linux oriented tooling clashes with her bsd preference in operating systems lmao

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

bsd preference in operating systems lmao

:sever:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Counterpoint: Put a ring on that. Free TrueNAS admin'ing for life :stoked:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RFC2324 posted:

Its a home lab for my partner and me, between my system overengineering, and her network overengineering, it's pretty rare for us not to have something broken.

She randomly decided that our proxmox cluster would be better on ceph over the weekend, formatted all 3 nodes, and then set one up before passing out and not having the spoons to pick it up. Before that it was me trying to to live migrate from a local filesystem to iSCSI.

Its alot of fun, but we can't stop breaking things, and my linux oriented tooling clashes with her bsd preference in operating systems lmao

Keeper.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Gotta segregate services, man and build out staging plans for upgrades

But let's be honest: Homelabs are for breaking things.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Gotta segregate services, man and build out staging plans for upgrades

But let's be honest: Homelabs are for breaking things.

I'm sorry, I disagree. The employer's lab is for breaking things. My lab is for smooth sailing only.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volguus posted:

I'm sorry, I disagree. The employer's lab is for breaking things. My lab is for smooth sailing only.

There's some marxist-feminist critiques of the nuclear family where the wife is employed by the husband to provide domestic and child care labour, just so you know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

There's some marxist-feminist critiques of the nuclear family where the wife is employed by the husband to provide domestic and child care labour, just so you know.

What's that got to do with anything?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

spankmeister posted:

What's that got to do with anything?

that means rfc's partner is breaking her employer's homelab

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

that means rfc's partner is breaking her employer's homelab

Oooooohhh :downs: right

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

it's fun to gently caress around, the mistake was running poo poo you need to stay up in your lab.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mullvad VPN and the Tor Project have released a web browser named (not very imaginatively) Mullvad Browser. It's basically Torbrowser without the Tor, but with all the rest of the paranoid anti-tracking and anti-fingerprinting features intact. As you might expect, it also has integrations with Mullvad's VPN service, but that's not a requirement and the browser can be used with a different VPN or with none at all.

https://mullvad.net/en/browser

I think I'll stick with Firefox for my daily driver, but it's always good to have options.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Powered Descent posted:

Mullvad VPN and the Tor Project have released a web browser named (not very imaginatively) Mullvad Browser. It's basically Torbrowser without the Tor, but with all the rest of the paranoid anti-tracking and anti-fingerprinting features intact. As you might expect, it also has integrations with Mullvad's VPN service, but that's not a requirement and the browser can be used with a different VPN or with none at all.

https://mullvad.net/en/browser

I think I'll stick with Firefox for my daily driver, but it's always good to have options.

I've been meaning to ask. What's the goon hivemind take on Brave?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I've been meaning to ask. What's the goon hivemind take on Brave?

A web browser with embedded cryptocurrency bullshit is a Bad Idea. If you want a Chromium fork you can fiddle with for hours on end to get just right for your use case that also has built-in tracking protection, you want Vivaldi.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kazinsal posted:

A web browser with embedded cryptocurrency bullshit is a Bad Idea. If you want a Chromium fork you can fiddle with for hours on end to get just right for your use case that also has built-in tracking protection, you want Vivaldi.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

It sounds a lot like the SunOS server I used to have access to in the 90s - it was constantly going down, but for IRC it was still better the dialup I was on.

The system operator of that server is also responsible for me using tcsh to this day.

Takes No Damage posted:

Counterpoint: Put a ring on that.
:emptyquote:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The system operator of that server is also responsible for me using tcsh to this day.

Just tell me you don’t write scripts in tcsh.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

I turned off all the crypto poo poo and I’ve been happy with Brave.

My needs for personal browser are:
-chromium preferred, but not required
-using nonstandard search engines doesn’t gently caress everything up (so Chrome is out)
-less google the better
-no weird extension interactions that gently caress with sites I use, so Firefox is out

Brave was needs suiting, so I use it for personal stuff. For work I use Arc but that’s just because the productivity benefits of it are so good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Just tell me you don’t write scripts in tcsh.
I don't touch csh scripting, not even with a 20 foot pole.
Bourne-compatible scripts are the only way.

EDIT: I just like tcsh because it's a decent interactive shell, and more importantly it's incredibly easy to write completes for it using the complete builtin (which takes glob patterns, and a whole bunch of possibilities).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still can't keep myself from feeling like a teen in a 90s hacker movie when I figure out how to do an unbelievably basic loop command in a single terminal line:

code:
for i in {1..9}; mkdir $i;
leet :smug:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Buff Hardback posted:

-no weird extension interactions that gently caress with sites I use, so Firefox is out

What do you mean by this?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rufus Ping posted:

What do you mean by this?

I use Readwise Reader, and the way it injects into websites for highlighting causes issues with a site I use that makes the flash of unstyled content appear. If I use chromium, no problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's not just crypto associated, Brave has a demonstrated history of doing sneaky slimeball stuff. Which IMO in many ways is worse than privacy invasion data collection, particularly when I think about whether I want to trust people. Can I trust google? Yeah; I can trust them to spy on me, serve me ads, and not gently caress with my bank account. Can I trust Brave? I think they're grifters, and who they grift after the VC collapse is a question.

OTOH if privacy and anti-tracking is your #1 thing, I have to admit they're pretty much the best at it.

Beyond the crypto bullshit there's also the bit where Brendan Eich is a homophobe, but plenty of other software we all use is made by gross people.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Klyith posted:

It's not just crypto associated, Brave has a demonstrated history of doing sneaky slimeball stuff. Which IMO in many ways is worse than privacy invasion data collection, particularly when I think about whether I want to trust people. Can I trust google? Yeah; I can trust them to spy on me, serve me ads, and not gently caress with my bank account. Can I trust Brave? I think they're grifters, and who they grift after the VC collapse is a question.

OTOH if privacy and anti-tracking is your #1 thing, I have to admit they're pretty much the best at it.

Beyond the crypto bullshit there's also the bit where Brendan Eich is a homophobe, but plenty of other software we all use is made by gross people.

FWIW I do agree with Brave doing sneaky slimeball poo poo, but they're the only browser that is really needs suiting at the time being. If the extension that misbehaves can figure things out and stop causing FOUC in Firefox, I'll probably go back to Firefox

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i use edge on windows/at work, it's actually pretty good. one of the best implementations of tab groups i've seen. the microsoft shittification is pretty irritating though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Edge is great, groups own and it's fast as heck

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The one thing Edge got right, is that it implements a sandbox that's enforced from a higher privilege (ie. by using VMENTER/VMEXIT for hardware-assisted virtualization).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The one thing Edge got right, is that it implements a sandbox that's enforced from a higher privilege (ie. by using VMENTER/VMEXIT for hardware-assisted virtualization).

That is literally the only thing they got right. Beyond that it's full of Microsoft bullshit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

That is literally the only thing they got right. Beyond that it's full of Microsoft bullshit.
Oh, I entirely agree - and even beyond that, they also made the wrong decision when deciding to use Chromium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Volguus posted:

The employer's lab is for breaking things. My lab is for smooth sailing only.

Is it bad that I'm the complete opposite

E: Seconding edge supremacy. I started using it as a meme and ended up finding it to be perfectly serviceable.

Their tech preview is really neat too. They really do just yeet & repeat. You will get all sorts of broken poo poo but they have the latest tech previews out pretty quick. If they would stop trying to shove loving ads down our throat and protect the user they could be what safari used to be.