Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Regency dev diary is up - and it's pretty hefty to boot, they've implemented a whole new system for power sharing (complete with coup risk) that's explicitly extendible to other cases.

I don't know how it'll play but it reads pretty well with plenty of levers to pull, and we'll find out how it plays in just over a month, since the other announcement today was a new season pass, a May 11 release date for Tours and Tournaments, a Q3 target for Wards and Wardens, and a Legacy of Persia flavour pack targeting a Q4 release.

This all sounds like neat additions (although I'd still prefer expanded empire mechanics and complications) but…

…I'm getting a bit worried that there's so little talk about the core mechanics. I understand that new and shiny outshines old and dull, but it's getting to that point where that dull stuff needs a bit of polish as well. It's all the usual stuff: AI-unfriendly combat logic, nonsensical troop composition and effects, excessive realm stability, locked-away basic interactions.

Has there ever been any official discussion on where those kinds of changes will fit into the schedule? Sneaked in piecemeal? On a tic-toc schedule between these kinds of content expansions? Or have they just not been addressed at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
There was a DD, um, 2 or 3 weeks ago about core game changes this patch - it mostly focused on realm stability and economics rather than military changes but it seems to me that the schedule for those kinds of changes is going to be the usual "as part of free major patches usually accompanying DLC"?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well they say that clan governments will be getting new mechanics with the Persian Legacy DLC. In Q4. :ohdear:

But yea this stuff:

quote:

It's all the usual stuff: AI-unfriendly combat logic, nonsensical troop composition and effects, excessive realm stability, locked-away basic interactions.
Nothing really. Some talk of changing MaA bonuses up last week, but not in any meaningful way.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 4, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fired up a quick & dirty Norse game for fun. Surprised myself yet again in how big you can get so quickly. Like 8 years into the game and I already have a stack of 2800 Vangerian Vets, which is more than enough to take on Francia, Germany and Logarthia in a single 1v3 combined stack fight.

Orders of magnitude more troops than anyone else, without touching any of the special decisions or unique wardecs.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Is the immersion pack purely clothes, or did some artifacts (regalia, tapestries, etc.) get updated too?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Kinda wish that they would have added bribery to regency. As it stands, it seems like you can only lose standing with the other vassals. That feels silly. You should be able to use your position to benefit, not merely yourself, but your peers, so as to better grease the wheels for a coup.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean couldn't you just steal things for yourself and then give gifts? Plus it looks like you can give your fellow vassals stuff during a coup attempt to try and get them on your side.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, but it's a janky way of doing it, since you'd generate both a malus and then a bonus.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so I can do poo poo like palace coups hypothetically?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tippis posted:

This all sounds like neat additions (although I'd still prefer expanded empire mechanics and complications) but…

…I'm getting a bit worried that there's so little talk about the core mechanics. I understand that new and shiny outshines old and dull, but it's getting to that point where that dull stuff needs a bit of polish as well. It's all the usual stuff: AI-unfriendly combat logic, nonsensical troop composition and effects, excessive realm stability, locked-away basic interactions.

Has there ever been any official discussion on where those kinds of changes will fit into the schedule? Sneaked in piecemeal? On a tic-toc schedule between these kinds of content expansions? Or have they just not been addressed at all?

But they are addressing core mechanics?

Even if you don't consider regencies a core mechanic, they are doing a MaA rebalancing. Whether what they're doing is enough is another question, but coupled with the building slot changes (holdings start with very few building slots that then increase as your culture progresses), I think it's a good start. And they introduce new vassal "types", while removing or toning down a lot of vassal opinion bonuses. Those vassal types have different and sometimes conflicting desires in their lieges. So excessive realm stability could be a thing of the past. Or it might not, but they're clearly trying to solve this problem.

And I do consider regencies a core mechanic. It's not something new and shiny like the Iberian Conflict stuff (or the new travel system), but it's something that's important to a medieval dynasty simulator. Frankly, it's shameful that it's been such a non-issue until now. CK2 did it better at the end. But this is an opportune moment to fix this, as there will be a lot more regencies with the new travel system.

So to answer your last set of questions, those kinds of changes will be part of the next expansion.

I'm honestly really excited about Tours and Tournaments. It's not quite getting Merchant Republics or Byzantine Empire overhauls, but still looks extremely promising. I think this could be CK3's Conclave equivalent.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I was going for the Perfect Circle achievement, but something must have gotten screwed up, or I screwed up because when I got to my great-grandchild, nothing popped up. Not really inclined to try for this one again. Apparently getting Pure Blood is like impossible. I had the Blood dynasty legacies filled out, plus Strong Blood, and none of my children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren got it. There must have been 40 kids all together. Has anyone been able to get it naturally?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, you just have to be a massive pervert and perpetually seduce your daughters and have like 30 direct kids per character while being massively inbred yourself. (Also of course immediately pruning anyone with a negative trait.) It pops up soon enough!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was going for the Perfect Circle achievement, but something must have gotten screwed up, or I screwed up because when I got to my great-grandchild, nothing popped up. Not really inclined to try for this one again. Apparently getting Pure Blood is like impossible. I had the Blood dynasty legacies filled out, plus Strong Blood, and none of my children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren got it. There must have been 40 kids all together. Has anyone been able to get it naturally?

According to the wiki Perfect Circle actually requires a maximum of 12 ancestors in the last five generations. So it actually looks up to your great-great-great-grandparents, not just great-granparents like the description claims. So just keep going for two more generations if you haven't deleted the save out of frustration or something.

I haven't got pure blood naturally myself, but I haven't tried either. You want 22 common ancestors in the last 4 generations to maximize the chance of getting it (grand total of 2.24%, so 40 kids still has a 40% of no one getting it, even if you had had a perfect setup for it), and gently caress trying to figure out the specific amount of inbreeding to get that. Plus you need at least 20 common ancestors to even have a chance of getting it, so even half-siblings or parent-child isn't enough without earlier inbreeding. And full siblings increases the chances of getting inbred (which overrides pure blood) enough that you have I think 0.9% chance per child?

It's so much easier to just set the character finder to search for everyone in the world with pure blood (preferably after getting little exclaves all over the place for diplo range) and abduct them. If you only have one (or multiple of the same sex) land them and marry them to four fertile people, if you get two of the opposite sex (with at least the woman young enough), well, you've got your breeding pair (jesus christ that feels so disgusting to even type) right there. Just load them up with fertility boosting artifacts. Then once you have a good population of people with the trait in your realm start marrying some of them to your children. Or start seducing all of them yourself. 10% chance for the trait to get passed if one parent has it.

I had I think two vassals with pure blood married to one other pure blood each in the early 1200s my previous game before I got bored and started another campaign. It's doable. Worth the effort, eh, probably not honestly. You can get your close family to herculean beautiful fecund geniuses fairly easily without closer than cousin marriages. You could probably avoid those too without too much trouble, but the marriage UI keeps resetting your sorting so I can't be arsed.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Herculean is the easiest thing to get by accident, just on account of it frequently shows up when you're trying to hire new knights anyhow. (Which, to be clear, I am including "Searching by high prowess characters to matrilineally marry my relatives" as)

Side note: Prowess unfairly makes you swole as hell.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was doing my Islamic Russia game every other person in the empire was inbred because they were all just a constantly intermarrying mass of Rurikid cadet houses.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Staltran posted:

According to the wiki Perfect Circle actually requires a maximum of 12 ancestors in the last five generations. So it actually looks up to your great-great-great-grandparents, not just great-granparents like the description claims. So just keep going for two more generations if you haven't deleted the save out of frustration or something.

I haven't got pure blood naturally myself, but I haven't tried either. You want 22 common ancestors in the last 4 generations to maximize the chance of getting it (grand total of 2.24%, so 40 kids still has a 40% of no one getting it, even if you had had a perfect setup for it), and gently caress trying to figure out the specific amount of inbreeding to get that. Plus you need at least 20 common ancestors to even have a chance of getting it, so even half-siblings or parent-child isn't enough without earlier inbreeding. And full siblings increases the chances of getting inbred (which overrides pure blood) enough that you have I think 0.9% chance per child?

It's so much easier to just set the character finder to search for everyone in the world with pure blood (preferably after getting little exclaves all over the place for diplo range) and abduct them. If you only have one (or multiple of the same sex) land them and marry them to four fertile people, if you get two of the opposite sex (with at least the woman young enough), well, you've got your breeding pair (jesus christ that feels so disgusting to even type) right there. Just load them up with fertility boosting artifacts. Then once you have a good population of people with the trait in your realm start marrying some of them to your children. Or start seducing all of them yourself. 10% chance for the trait to get passed if one parent has it.

I had I think two vassals with pure blood married to one other pure blood each in the early 1200s my previous game before I got bored and started another campaign. It's doable. Worth the effort, eh, probably not honestly. You can get your close family to herculean beautiful fecund geniuses fairly easily without closer than cousin marriages. You could probably avoid those too without too much trouble, but the marriage UI keeps resetting your sorting so I can't be arsed.

Well that's stupid that it actually requires 2 more generations that what's described. I got hosed because my son and daughter had 3 boys and then she died in childbirth. I thought I was good though because she at least birthed the great grandchild, but I'm kind of hosed now, I'd have to start the line all over again. I'm just not that interested in doing it anymore.

I had actually started this as a Haesteinn game, elevated Mann, formed the North Empire, and when I reformed Asatru, I made all marriages legal. It made things extra disgusting because you can take your mother and daughters as concubines. The whole game made me feel like a real pervert.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well that's stupid that it actually requires 2 more generations that what's described. I got hosed because my son and daughter had 3 boys and then she died in childbirth. I thought I was good though because she at least birthed the great grandchild, but I'm kind of hosed now, I'd have to start the line all over again. I'm just not that interested in doing it anymore.

I had actually started this as a Haesteinn game, elevated Mann, formed the North Empire, and when I reformed Asatru, I made all marriages legal. It made things extra disgusting because you can take your mother and daughters as concubines. The whole game made me feel like a real pervert.

You don't have any spare daughters for your son to remarry?

It already feels weird to marry your stepmother (or step-grandmother) on succession because she (still) has the highest stewardship available, doing the same with your actual mother... ick. Plus if your consanguinity doctrine is cousin marriage, you know that the "these characters are related" probably isn't something to be too concerned about, since that's only something like 5% chance of inbred for cousins if there's no earlier inbreeding, and I think the warning pops up whenver there are less than 30 unique ancestors in the last four generations? So they're probably not even first cousins, and if they are, oh well. And if you have close-kin taboo you don't have to care. But with unrestricted marriage you might accidentally set up brother-sister marriages if you don't check, especially since siblings are decently likely to both have a trait you want to reinforce. And it's a pain to check for everyone.

How strict is close-kin taboo, anyway? Are second cousins fine? Or does it actually require fourth cousins or more?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Staltran posted:

You don't have any spare daughters for your son to remarry?

It already feels weird to marry your stepmother (or step-grandmother) on succession because she (still) has the highest stewardship available, doing the same with your actual mother... ick. Plus if your consanguinity doctrine is cousin marriage, you know that the "these characters are related" probably isn't something to be too concerned about, since that's only something like 5% chance of inbred for cousins if there's no earlier inbreeding, and I think the warning pops up whenver there are less than 30 unique ancestors in the last four generations? So they're probably not even first cousins, and if they are, oh well. And if you have close-kin taboo you don't have to care. But with unrestricted marriage you might accidentally set up brother-sister marriages if you don't check, especially since siblings are decently likely to both have a trait you want to reinforce. And it's a pain to check for everyone.

How strict is close-kin taboo, anyway? Are second cousins fine? Or does it actually require fourth cousins or more?

I had another daughter, but she was older and aged out of child bearing years, so I just ran out of options. I thought close-kin was anyone cousin or closer, but I don't really know.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Herculean is the easiest thing to get by accident, just on account of it frequently shows up when you're trying to hire new knights anyhow. (Which, to be clear, I am including "Searching by high prowess characters to matrilineally marry my relatives" as)

Side note: Prowess unfairly makes you swole as hell.

Why is it unfair? Prowess is skill at individual combat, which in most cases means melee combat (it would be cool if bows were added as a weapon type, they seem more appropriate as prestige weapons for Indians/horse lords). A guy with high 20s+ prowess is probably a relatively swole dude(tte)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Medieval writings on combat tend to focus on precision and timing over strength in wrestling and swordplay. The notion of raw brawn as the deciding factor is more of a modern idea. I still like the fact that forming a custom Faith with Unrelenting Faith and stacking Raiding and Martial dynasty bonuses makes my whole family kinda buff.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There is probably a whole bunch of cultural assumptions about what counts as very muscular. Certainly the 40+ prowess guys with zero bodyfat aren't terribly realistic for a human doing their daily job, but likewise what a 'normal' person looked like back then was probably a heck of a lot trimmer than we associate with nowadays.

The prowess thing is just a fun little sliding scale from aristocratic layabout to actual combatants. It may be hyperbole, but subtlety isn't what I'm after when everyone takes their shirt off for a duel.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Why is it unfair? Prowess is skill at individual combat, which in most cases means melee combat (it would be cool if bows were added as a weapon type, they seem more appropriate as prestige weapons for Indians/horse lords). A guy with high 20s+ prowess is probably a relatively swole dude(tte)

A bowman would very likely be even more swole on average than a melee guy. Like, ridiculously so. Longbows are hard to repeatedly draw. An English longbow had over 100 pounds of draw weight. A longsword is like, two to three pounds. You'll get tired if you swing it around continually but you'll legit see randos out jogging with a pair of hand weights.

Now, to be fair, a coat of chain is going to be about 40-60 pounds, and I don't see too many people jogging around with that poo poo. And also to be fair, armed or not, being in a fight is a hell of a workout. Adrenaline will do odd things to your body.

Servetus posted:

Medieval writings on combat tend to focus on precision and timing over strength in wrestling and swordplay. The notion of raw brawn as the deciding factor is more of a modern idea. I still like the fact that forming a custom Faith with Unrelenting Faith and stacking Raiding and Martial dynasty bonuses makes my whole family kinda buff.

Also this. And it's an incorrect modern idea, which is even more frustrating. While I'm loathe to point to MMA here, they're still far closer to a real fighter than anything someone is likely to run into in the wild, and those MMA dudes are often lean as hell.

It's also a problem I have with the way men are portrayed in universally all media, as I am both short and thin. (Though, so far as I know, CK3 makes no distinction for height here, at least) It grates to be told over and over and over again that the way I'm built makes me some kind of hopeless, ineffectual weakling. It'd be nice to have been able to learn that's not true without the associated lifetime of PTSD.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean short means having less reach.

But that's why the gods invented spears.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I was playing as Visby when I was suddenly blessed by this magical sight:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Indian North Europes?

Also fuckin lol at what map in general, the 867 start is such an irredeemable tire fire

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How can I do a varangian migration game to West Africa without losing Tribal on the way?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

How can I do a varangian migration game to West Africa without losing Tribal on the way?

That's going to be tough since I don't think there's many tribal territories between northern Europe and west Africa. Maybe if you wait and get the first Adventure dynasty legacy that expands your diplomacy range by 30% and you can go straight to Africa without any stops along the way.

Thinking about it though, even if your feudal, once you the the Varangian migration, don't you automatically become tribal if the area you take over is tribal? Whenever I do a Haesteinn start, if I go to Ireland, I automatically switch from feudal to tribal. I would assume the same would happen in Africa.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's about whether the target title is feudal rather than the land itself, but yeah you can always switch back to Tribal that way if you want.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Just snag provinces along the way and hand them out to your councillors (or keep them all if you don't care about demesne limits). Once you get within range of your target, you can launch it and you'll still be tribal the entire time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another mega-DD, this one covering tournaments and some related stuff.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-123-hastiluding-for-glory.1577736/

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PittTheElder posted:

The Indian North Europes?

Also fuckin lol at what map in general, the 867 start is such an irredeemable tire fire

In my current game the House of Godwin are all a bit Indian because a prince married some random Indian lady (who I think was even lowborn) a bit ago.

This is on another level though.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Anno posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-123-hastiluding-for-glory.1577736/

I am going to throw so many nerd tournaments!!! :eng101:

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

A bowman would very likely be even more swole on average than a melee guy. Like, ridiculously so. Longbows are hard to repeatedly draw. An English longbow had over 100 pounds of draw weight. A longsword is like, two to three pounds. You'll get tired if you swing it around continually but you'll legit see randos out jogging with a pair of hand weights.

Now, to be fair, a coat of chain is going to be about 40-60 pounds, and I don't see too many people jogging around with that poo poo. And also to be fair, armed or not, being in a fight is a hell of a workout. Adrenaline will do odd things to your body.

Also this. And it's an incorrect modern idea, which is even more frustrating. While I'm loathe to point to MMA here, they're still far closer to a real fighter than anything someone is likely to run into in the wild, and those MMA dudes are often lean as hell.

It's also a problem I have with the way men are portrayed in universally all media, as I am both short and thin. (Though, so far as I know, CK3 makes no distinction for height here, at least) It grates to be told over and over and over again that the way I'm built makes me some kind of hopeless, ineffectual weakling. It'd be nice to have been able to learn that's not true without the associated lifetime of PTSD.

I'm aware of the bow thing, I've seen those deformed longbowmen skeletons. MMA fighters being relatively lean has much to do with weight classes, the majority of fighters are lean as a matter of relative competitive advantage, not because it represents an "ideal" body for hand-to-hand combat (Roman gladiators, whose bouts were more lethal, often cultivated a layer of fat to render slashing attacks less dangerous).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Anno posted:

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff in this pack, they are really taking the game in a very different direction than CK2 (which I do like, if I wanted a better CK2 I'd play CK2 with mods). It's gotten to the point where I have a bit of difficulty actually picturing what playing it is going to look like. This seems like a lot of stuff that you can gloss over if you choose to, but I do like treating Paradox games like sandbox experiences, engaging with the systems as I want to and mostly ignoring them if I don't. There's a definitely a lot in there to potentially distract from map-painting; whether or not it's effective remains to be seen.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff in this pack, they are really taking the game in a very different direction than CK2 (which I do like, if I wanted a better CK2 I'd play CK2 with mods). It's gotten to the point where I have a bit of difficulty actually picturing what playing it is going to look like. This seems like a lot of stuff that you can gloss over if you choose to, but I do like treating Paradox games like sandbox experiences, engaging with the systems as I want to and mostly ignoring them if I don't. There's a definitely a lot in there to potentially distract from map-painting; whether or not it's effective remains to be seen.

Yeah this is definitely going to fill in a lot of the mid-game space where you have a built up economy and base and money to spare in a way other than just conquest. I love it!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Anno posted:

Is HoMM IV an early PC game!? :corsair:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Anno posted:

holy gently caress that looks cool

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Like a lot of CK3 things, my immediate first reaction was 'man some mod is gonna make this amazing.'

Not that this isn't great as is, of course. It does look very cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wologar posted:

Is HoMM IV an early PC game!? :corsair:

My thoughts exactly!

All of this looks very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006