Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
so I've been playing this on PS for forever, but decided to pick up the pc version to check it out, any reason all the text on equipment drops looks like pic? I managed to find a few reddit threads but all seem to be dead ends.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its mostly that in good rift types for GoD dh we go roughly on par but in the bad types for dh i fall behind significantly

This has been my experience - you can do two rifts back to back of the same level and one feels smooth as silk while the other is a total clusterfuck.

I started banking ancient Unhallowed Essence drops a while back and had a bit of a play with that Hungering Arrow variant. It feels a little more consistent with the higher single target damage, and feels less squishy overall. Pointless for speed farming though as a GR110 and a GR 130 take about the same time to complete due to lack of mobility.

Good bit of gear in common with GoD HA though, so potentially a good option if you hit a wall in GRs and don't want to roll another class.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

runaway dog posted:

so I've been playing this on PS for forever, but decided to pick up the pc version to check it out, any reason all the text on equipment drops looks like pic? I managed to find a few reddit threads but all seem to be dead ends.

The labels should only be faded out like that if it's account-bound stuff other players throw on the ground. If you're playing by yourself and new loot gets generated that way then I have no idea, never seen it happen. Can you interact with them at all?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Swilo posted:

The labels should only be faded out like that if it's account-bound stuff other players throw on the ground. If you're playing by yourself and new loot gets generated that way then I have no idea, never seen it happen. Can you interact with them at all?

yeah I can pick it up just fine.

edit: and here I was bitching about the only reddit thread with any promise ending with "it fixed itself"....and then it went and fixed itself, idk if it was something to do with my vpn but I switched to the wifi and restarted the game so who knows.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 4, 2023

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Decided to have a change from Wiz this season and made a whirlwind barb for mat farming.

WW + l25 boon of the hoarder + warezichan armguards is so bloody fast, I'm bouncing along the map like a pinball. Great fun.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I had kind of written off D3 shortly after launch, I played the Reaper of Souls content and hosed around in a few seasons but it never really clicked for me.

Picked it up again on Switch after the D4 beta and... This game is really fun. I'm flipping between a Necro, Monk, and Crusader, and they're all super fun and visceral. cool game

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

wow I have bad luck, bought the d3 d2r pack yesterday for the full 60 and they put it on sale for 20 today.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Service games have this weird as hell arc where they are somehow legally required to release as unfun and oppressive as possible, then apply the fun police to lock down any potential enjoyment that escaped beta scrutiny, then continue on until the population drops and decide "oh screw it, maybe let people enjoy the game". Even RoS wasn't the end for D3, which was better but didn't hit stride (imo) until later seasons.

I don't know if it's fear of Twitch people saying your game is "easy" or what but it's such a dumb blueprint to follow.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I’m slowly but surely crawling to my first GR 150 (on PS5) with Tal’s. I’ve got a few perfect primals, and everything else is perfect augmented ancients except for a slot on two or three of those. I’m at 1648 Paragon. I think 136 was the highest I ever bothered with before, and I just finished 147 with a minute left. That said, I’ve never had to hunt for good GRs before and I hope I don’t have to do it TOO much.

It’s definitely the most primals I’ve ever had in a build!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

That said, I’ve never had to hunt for good GRs before and I hope I don’t have to do it TOO much.

It's gonna be luck of the draw on fishing when you're that close to 150 so start getting in the good graces of RNGesus.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
"Let's release a poo poo product. Then, we'll drip feed supplemental products that make the base product more bearable to an audience of no one."

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

runaway dog posted:

wow I have bad luck, bought the d3 d2r pack yesterday for the full 60 and they put it on sale for 20 today.

God drat, I did the same. Can’t be too mad though, this game rules and I’m kind of mad that I haven’t been playing it for all this time.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

God drat, I did the same. Can’t be too mad though, this game rules and I’m kind of mad that I haven’t been playing it for all this time.

my friend did the same, Bliz knew exactly what they were doing waiting this long after the beta to do the sale.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I enthusiastically bought the switch bundle last week, and have been giving a friend poo poo for dragging his feet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The power curve is so crazy this season that even Reverse Orb Vyr's has a few GR150 clears on the leaderboards. It still kinda blows, but those few seconds where you get to fire off a million orbs almost makes the whole ordeal worth it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does the campaign scale with your level now (separately from the difficulty settings)? It kinda seems that way but not sure how to tell.

I know "don't play the campaign" but I haven't touched this game in years and I'm playing through and liking it so far. The story is rancid but I enjoy the progression through areas and gradual introduction of mechanics.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Seems good:

What attribute should I change?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Allres to vit, according to maxroll

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

Allres to vit, according to maxroll

Yeah, Wizards get all resist naturally from Int, so a little more doesn't make that much difference. Having a bigger health pool is definitely better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Wow that's an insanely good primal roll. Grats!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah that's bis according the maxroll guide. It's the kind of drop that releases the choicest strain of dopamine

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've been gambling for ages for regular, decent Ancient Nilfur's :saddowns:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boatswain posted:

I've been gambling for ages for regular, decent Ancient Nilfur's :saddowns:

Did gr150 with normal ones. Had a harder time getting a decent ancient there than anywhere else, except jewelry as usual.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's the kind of drop that releases the choicest strain of dopamine

Excellent username/post combo.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Does the campaign scale with your level now (separately from the difficulty settings)? It kinda seems that way but not sure how to tell.

I know "don't play the campaign" but I haven't touched this game in years and I'm playing through and liking it so far. The story is rancid but I enjoy the progression through areas and gradual introduction of mechanics.

I feel like but I'm not 100% sure that when reaper of souls came out at least on the PlayStation version they went over to scaling, or at least whenever they switched from the original normal hell nightmare difficulty names to the current naming scheme which iirc was with ROS

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah it pretty much does, likewise adventure mode/Neph rifts.

This is super obvious when doing solo levelling pre-altar - in some situations you will murder most of a zone, then the massacre bonus kicks in and you gain a bunch of levels, and suddenly you're not one shotting anymore.

What's more confusing is how it calculates difficulty when you party up with someone 55 levels higher than you. It doesn't feel like it scales all the way up to LvL70, but then you end up there in half an hour due to the massive amount of xp you get following a 70 through T6 rifts.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is a very "what are numbers" question so fitting to this thread. My main is a meteor wiz. I am wearing a Mempo of Twilight helm, which gives a 300-400% increase to meteors and I am using Tal's amulet. The solo push build on maxroll says I should use Tal's helmet instead, so I can wear Squirt's. Squirt's gives a 100% bonus to damage. To me that look like I'm trading a 300% bonus for a 100% bonus. I'm sure the guide is right but I don't understand how the mechanics work to make it so.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Grifter posted:

This is a very "what are numbers" question so fitting to this thread. My main is a meteor wiz. I am wearing a Mempo of Twilight helm, which gives a 300-400% increase to meteors and I am using Tal's amulet. The solo push build on maxroll says I should use Tal's helmet instead, so I can wear Squirt's. Squirt's gives a 100% bonus to damage. To me that look like I'm trading a 300% bonus for a 100% bonus. I'm sure the guide is right but I don't understand how the mechanics work to make it so.

What are you running in the cube's armor slot? That's where Mempo slots in now, so you're not trading Mempo for Squirt's, you're trading Mempo for whatever you've got in there currently.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
You cube the helm to gain both powers and thus double your damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mempo always goes in the cube unless you are doing some kind of LoD build.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Probably copying the icy veins build where you wear mempo's and cube Shame of Delsere for some reason

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

A Moose posted:

Probably copying the icy veins build where you wear mempo's and cube Shame of Delsere for some reason
This is exactly right. Looks like I need to go whole hog on the max roll build.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

wow I was torn on the pc version controls until I found the "force run" option and bound it to space bar, now it's glorious.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Mailer posted:

Service games have this weird as hell arc where they are somehow legally required to release as unfun and oppressive as possible

I don't know if it's fear of Twitch people saying your game is "easy" or what but it's such a dumb blueprint to follow.

It's just design by committee to try to please everyone, release a product that pisses everyone off in different ways, fire committee not cause design by committee is wrong but because they were a bad committee, fix game, design next game by committee, learning zero lessons because the people who give these dumbass orders neither know nor care about the games beyond their ability to reach and wring out as many people as possible.

This will evidently continue until long after we're all dead.

I think Diablo 4 has really turned this up to a new level but maybe I'm crazy and wrong. I doubt it though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Grifter posted:

This is exactly right. Looks like I need to go whole hog on the max roll build.

The icy-veins builds are a bit outdated because they're working off the previous season where a Tal Wizard could conceivably get AP-starved without some solid RCR. With the S28 altar bonuses a Wizard can be as greedy as they want going all-in on damage and shields.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

For a Tal's meteor build, what would be a good item to use for my crafted primal? The maxroll guide recommends either Smoldering Core or Grand Vizier but I feel like my speed and survivability are better with the In-Geom version of the build.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's just design by committee to try to please everyone, release a product that pisses everyone off in different ways, fire committee not cause design by committee is wrong but because they were a bad committee, fix game, design next game by committee, learning zero lessons because the people who give these dumbass orders neither know nor care about the games beyond their ability to reach and wring out as many people as possible.

This will evidently continue until long after we're all dead.

I think Diablo 4 has really turned this up to a new level but maybe I'm crazy and wrong. I doubt it though.

no, I think youre spot on about D4. I am so so torn on it. I bounced hard on the public demo (announced it too, which was cringe and fail) but I keep thinking about getting it the moment its on sale like a hypocrite :shrug:

anyway, I recently beat D2R! I got my Enigma and then I realized... if Im just doing boss rushes for minor loot upgrades, I absolutely should try to get to 70 in D3. I stopped playing right as they were introducing Seasons and Im on Nintendo Switch. I am playing as Monk. where do I start to completely relearn the game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

For a Tal's meteor build, what would be a good item to use for my crafted primal? The maxroll guide recommends either Smoldering Core or Grand Vizier but I feel like my speed and survivability are better with the In-Geom version of the build.

Eventually you will need both staves to progress into GR135+ since the stacking effect from Smoldering Core is too good against high HP elites to ignore. But if your Viz is already decent then a good candidate for your crafted primal would be the Halo of Karini, which is difficult to roll well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

runaway dog posted:

I feel like but I'm not 100% sure that when reaper of souls came out at least on the PlayStation version they went over to scaling, or at least whenever they switched from the original normal hell nightmare difficulty names to the current naming scheme which iirc was with ROS

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah it pretty much does, likewise adventure mode/Neph rifts.

This is super obvious when doing solo levelling pre-altar - in some situations you will murder most of a zone, then the massacre bonus kicks in and you gain a bunch of levels, and suddenly you're not one shotting anymore.

What's more confusing is how it calculates difficulty when you party up with someone 55 levels higher than you. It doesn't feel like it scales all the way up to LvL70, but then you end up there in half an hour due to the massive amount of xp you get following a 70 through T6 rifts.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Eventually you will need both staves to progress into GR135+ since the stacking effect from Smoldering Core is too good against high HP elites to ignore. But if your Viz is already decent then a good candidate for your crafted primal would be the Halo of Karini, which is difficult to roll well.

Another option is cube a Halo of Karini and wear the Ring of Royal Grandeur, letting you free primal your staff. Sure a Karini can roll better stats but you also need a high (77+) roll on the affix which is hard. RoRG has a fixed affix and is easy-ish to solo farm in act 1 bounties.