Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I ran into a deck that was basically “gently caress YOU IN PARTICULAR” incarnate, and I was wondering if anyone might know what it was? Forgot to save the replay, so I can’t check their list, but their endboard state was:

-An activated “your opponent skips their next Main Phase 1” effect

-A continuous spell that made both players skip their MP2

-A spell/trap negate for my Evenly Matched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Quick Google suggests Amorphactor Pain, the Imagination Dracoverlord and Terminal World.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That would be Timeater and Terminal World. MBT played the 2011 version of it against Cimo on History of Jank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N55swz7hJOU

E: Right, Amorphactor Pain. Timeater is the classic one though. Fun fact: Timeater is one of a small number of monsters whose art is way more zoomed in than it has to be, who get classified as "Immortal" in Duelists of the Roses, alongside such winners as Moisture Creature and Servant of Catabolism. That clock looking thing is actually mounted on the stomach of a giant.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 2, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, that fits the bill.

I’m gonna go ahead and guess that it’s usually pretty inconsistent, though? Like, I’m just morbidly curious more than anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, that fits the bill.

I’m gonna go ahead and guess that it’s usually pretty inconsistent, though? Like, I’m just morbidly curious more than anything.

Yeah, it's relying heavily on cards that can't be searched out and do barely anything alone, and the entire strategy is fragile as poo poo in the modern metagame because the only protection it has is that if you've got everything on the board, they don't get main phases to play cards in; they still get a battle phase if they've got monsters on the field, and the strategy's monsters aren't very big bodies, so they don't even necessairly get a win condition out of their lock. It's in the realm of 'I hope you get your combo turn one, because if you don't you've lost'.

That History of Jank episode also shows its funniest possible counter: Exodia, the one deck that actually CAN win with no main phases or monsters on deck.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pokemon youtuber and goon Reverend did a video about OCG vol. 1 for April Fool's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_jVtEA8og

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Took a bit of time last night to start the climb back out of Gold, and it was just wall to wall Numeron OTK decks at one point. One particularly obnoxious one seemed to have started the game with a hand that was, at the very least, Terraforming, Planet Pathfinder and two copies of Numeron Network. It was really annoying, negating their field spell search twice, only for them to have it anyway. I honestly would be glad to see Numeron Network banned in Master Duel. It's dumb anime bullshit that just doesn't work in a best of one format.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

https://roadoftheking.com/master-duel-duelist-cup-2023-march/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skios posted:

Took a bit of time last night to start the climb back out of Gold, and it was just wall to wall Numeron OTK decks at one point. One particularly obnoxious one seemed to have started the game with a hand that was, at the very least, Terraforming, Planet Pathfinder and two copies of Numeron Network. It was really annoying, negating their field spell search twice, only for them to have it anyway. I honestly would be glad to see Numeron Network banned in Master Duel. It's dumb anime bullshit that just doesn't work in a best of one format.
They do get to play 10 copies between Network, Pathfinder, Numeron Wall and Terraforming, it's not actually wildly unlikely they have a second or third copy. It's much better to negate the effect of Numeron Network if you can (that way they need both another Network + a hard drawn Calling to try again), or even to wait for battle phase and destroy Network so they can't use the effects of their Gates assuming you have a way to beat Megaclops.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They do get to play 10 copies between Network, Pathfinder, Numeron Wall and Terraforming, it's not actually wildly unlikely they have a second or third copy. It's much better to negate the effect of Numeron Network if you can (that way they need both another Network + a hard drawn Calling to try again), or even to wait for battle phase and destroy Network so they can't use the effects of their Gates assuming you have a way to beat Megaclops.
:hmmyes:

Numeron OTK is one of those decks that feels really bullshit and indestructible if you don't know its weak points, but falls apart if you do. (Of course, this still falls into the problem of 'just draw the out, bro', but that's an inherent issue with best-of-one, not Numeron specific.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

E: Turns out I'm blind, that's a Master Duel event. :rip:

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 3, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah. I've played enough Numeron decks that even I know the chokepoints, and I'm still languishing in low platinum with tier 1 decks. The main problem is just that handful of games where they just end up drawing more ways to go into the OTK than you have negates and interaction.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://twitter.com/nintella_grim/status/1642368735104364544?t=D54HgPPOk8sTPyT3_QZYxA&s=19

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skios posted:

Yeah. I've played enough Numeron decks that even I know the chokepoints, and I'm still languishing in low platinum with tier 1 decks. The main problem is just that handful of games where they just end up drawing more ways to go into the OTK than you have negates and interaction.
I mean if you hit those chokepoints then it doesn't matter how many more copies of Numeron Network they have, they can't use them. I'd much rather play against the guy whose hand is clogged with 4 once-per-turn starters than the guy who opens Duster + Droplet + Lightning Storm + Network.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

It is now officially confirmed: Tearlaments coming soon to Master Duel!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

What’s their game plan, for someone who’s totally unfamiliar with them?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Regalingualius posted:

What’s their game plan, for someone who’s totally unfamiliar with them?

They mill cards from their deck and when their monsters hit the graveyard they can fuse into powerful boss monsters.

Notably, they have ways to mill ON THEIR OPPONENTS TURN, so depending on how things work out they can start plays and start summoning on the opponent's turn.

The most powerful and popular build for the deck was/is the Ishizu Tearlaments build, using the Ishizu fairies for even more milling shenanigans! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9bMk5SliIg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
On top of that, Master Duel has some HUGE mill tools available that the TCG doesn't, like That Grass Looks Greener. So Tear's going to be even more absurd even with pre-emptive limits.

I was going to say that I can't wait for Yu-Gi-Oh content creators to somehow be mad at Maxx C in the face of this, but I didn't even have to wait. They're nothing if not consistent.

https://twitter.com/HardLegGaming/status/1643844353570357248

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was going to say that I can't wait for Yu-Gi-Oh content creators to somehow be mad at Maxx C in the face of this, but I didn't even have to wait. They're nothing if not consistent.

The irony.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

On top of that, Master Duel has some HUGE mill tools available that the TCG doesn't, like That Grass Looks Greener. So Tear's going to be even more absurd even with pre-emptive limits.

https://twitter.com/HardLegGaming/status/1643844353570357248

I dunno what hard Legg is crying about in this situation. Maxx cing on my turn in response to tear bullshit to plus off their poo poo gives me a better chance to play through their dozen interactions than I had in the tcg.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunno what hard Legg is crying about in this situation. Maxx cing on my turn in response to tear bullshit to plus off
Should you not use maxx c on tear player’s turn?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nyaa posted:

Pretty sure Tear does more summoning on your turn than its own turn.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure Tear does more summoning on your turn than its own turn.
I see, I will do it on my turn then, so they don’t dodge maxx c I suppose.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nyaa posted:

No because they summon plenty and will out interact you if you can't just put enough cards in rotation.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Playing at locals, I have a ton of trouble playing branded with live twin spright. Probably skill issue, but I can’t find a way to play around it in game 1. Siding definitely helps but it’s rough. Anyone got possible tips? I side grave of super ancient organism, d barrier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nyaa posted:

From what I know Tear's actually got genuinely interesting play around Maxx C, specifically because it can defer its plays in unusual ways. So it actually creates an interesting dynamic where the Maxx C-ing player really has to pick the best time to play it, but the Tear player always has alternative angles at play when they're hit with it beyond 'play into it or give up'.

Just... y'know, don't tell anyone who makes their name streaming the game or making Youtube content, because every single one of them goes into a frothing rage at the thought of a Maxx C. To answer the question of 'what is HardLeg crying about', the clue is in the 'day 55'; he's been trying to find different ways to call for the card to be banned for approaching two months now. It's basically an angrier, less interesting version of Payne's gimmick.

(Speaking of Payne: there's a very good chance that by the end of the month they're legitimately going to reveal Volcanic support in the next Duelist Pack, which is all Fire-themed)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 6, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the Tearlaments cards all do something when they're sent to the graveyard by card effect, so you get a lot of value whenever you use one of the Ishizu mill 5s (or the in-archetype fusion monster that mills 5). The fact that the 3 core maindeck names shuffle monsters back to make fusions also means that the deck essentially never runs out of gas, as it can keep putting back its fusion monsters and summoning them again.

The wildest part is that the pack includes Rulkallos. That was actually not in the first wave of Tearlament support, so we may actually be getting the entire deck including Cryme (omni-negate trap) and Scream (trap searcher and miller) at the same time.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'll just be over here, waiting for the Bystials.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Once Bystials hit the game I’m probably taking a break again lol.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Just... y'know, don't tell anyone who makes their name streaming the game or making Youtube content, because every single one of them goes into a frothing rage at the thought of a Maxx C.

I know you’re probably still holding a grudge from MBT mocking you on stream, but you’ve got to let this whole ‘waaah yugitubers are combo babies’ thing go. It’s not healthy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Idk i agree that maxx c isnt the boogieman so many content folks think and they should just chill

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also mbt sucks rear end so really him hating an opinion means that opinion probably is alright

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I think many of the content folks are mostly doing it for the sake of content. If maxx c get banned, they will find something else to rage.

Thumbs down doesn’t matter if it would get a million views i suppose.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I mean, most of the ‘content creators’ calling for the card’s ban are actual high level event players so I’m a little inclined to believe they know what they’re talking about.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Vandar posted:

I know you’re probably still holding a grudge from MBT mocking you on stream, but you’ve got to let this whole ‘waaah yugitubers are combo babies’ thing go. It’s not healthy.
I played against MBT for my promotion game once and he mocked me for doing the Swordsoul combo wrong. And hell, he was right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Maxx c is annoying but there are much worse cards still legal in tcg ocg and MD. Complainijg about it is fine hard legs bit cry tweeting about it and replying to people who say "This seems a bit pointless and stupid" with "I guess one of us just doesn't want to live passively" is beyond pathetic.

https://twitter.com/HardLegGaming/status/1643923606735400960?t=pHw1W6AXeJp6KE0N4fYXeA&s=19

Like...lol

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maxx c is annoying but there are much worse cards still legal in tcg ocg and MD.

This is where I'm at with it. I wouldn't cry if it was banned, but there's so much worse. Funnily enough, Hardleg added a Maxx C counter to his ladder climb streams with I believe the criteria that Maxx C was game determitive and it was sitting at zero. I think it was literally the first stream of the climb, but it came up like every game without actually winning the game.

Also, he gets responses from some pretty poo poo people for these anti-maxx C tweets and he's been pretty patient with them and even explaining to them how to mute the hashtag if they don't want to see it. His reply there however is really :jerkbag:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The upcoming meta is pretty poo poo for Maxx C isn't it?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kild posted:

The upcoming meta is pretty poo poo for Maxx C isn't it?

The only time Maxx C is not played at 3 is when a deck that doesnt special summon is meta relevant, like Floo.

even then it wasnt the only deck in the running, so it got played.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The only time Maxx C is not played at 3 is when a deck that doesnt special summon is meta relevant, like Floo.

Yeah I misremembered, it was Ash that some lists cut.